Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
lucfier

Ships not doing there role

38 comments in this topic

[ROHAN]
Members
16 posts

Folks  is there any way to make it where if a ship doesn't do its  role like  CA's that do nothing but fire on BB's to set them on fire instead of there role as killing dd's don't get full credit or xp.

I know I cant be the only one that gets tired of being torped in a bb when there are 3-4 dds up still  half way threw the match because the CA's are to worried about stats and want do there role. 

How about remove stats for a month and see what kind of game play happens. I'm sure it would be a lot better then it is now  where everyone  ones and hides or runs away from the enemy people would get in the fight and do something

instead of just running and staying in the back. The game use to be fun to play  but lately all you see are Stat Mongers to worried about  there standing and not doing there designed ship role and leaving team mates out to dry.

I hope you take this suggestion into consideration and get some positive feedback.

So let the hate fly and lets see what happens 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles
8 minutes ago, lucfier said:

Folks  is there any way to make it where if a ship doesn't do its  role like  CA's that do nothing but fire on BB's to set them on fire instead of there role as killing dd's don't get full credit or xp.

I know I cant be the only one that gets tired of being torped in a bb when there are 3-4 dds up still  half way threw the match because the CA's are to worried about stats and want do there role. 

How about remove stats for a month and see what kind of game play happens. I'm sure it would be a lot better then it is now  where everyone  ones and hides or runs away from the enemy people would get in the fight and do something

instead of just running and staying in the back. The game use to be fun to play  but lately all you see are Stat Mongers to worried about  there standing and not doing there designed ship role and leaving team mates out to dry.

I hope you take this suggestion into consideration and get some positive feedback.

You mean "ships not doing what you want them to do" so that you can sit in the back in a BB and farm damage!

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[_RNG_]
Members
89 posts
3,982 battles

Just because a ship is a cruiser doesnt mean it's supposed to hunt dds. Sure the Wooster and Minotaur are superb at doing that, but ships like the Henri IV and Zao kite well, and are better at pulling attention from enemy BBs while returning fire.

Khabarovsk is a destroyer, but I think the last thing I would try to do in it is torp other ships. Yamato is a better long range sniper than Grober Kurfurst, which is a close range brawler. The moral of the story is dont generalize a certain ship class with a specific task.

Edited by UEG_PATRIOT
  • Cool 2

[SFROG]
Members
16 posts
3,719 battles

It is not one ship class' designated role to kill something. If a DD is spotted, everyone should be trying to get rid of the threat. A cruiser that pushes up to kill a DD is at risk of being citadelled by the enemies battleships. You as a BB have the armor and the health to mitigate one or two torps. You could then bully the DD out of the cap. The Cruiser is there to deal damage. Where that damage is going doesn't really matter, as long as that left mouse button is going, that cruiser is most likely having an impact. On the other hand, a BB sitting at max range bouncing AP off of other ships is useless. In the same way, a BB suiciding into the enemy team is useless as well. If your team is not supporting you, there is most likely a good reason why.

• Cool 1

[-AJ-]
Members
60 posts
791 battles

As a cruiser main, I hear you about wanting the DDs taken care of. If I see a DD and its within range, I will shoot at it. I will not, however, risk my citadel to hunt down that DD if there are multiple enemies nearby. 

[SIM]
Members
3,432 posts
5,281 battles

How about you get your own play sorted out before you try telling other people what to do, Admiral Halsey?

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
298 posts
6,709 battles
19 minutes ago, lucfier said:

Folks  is there any way to make it where if a ship doesn't do its  role like  CA's

There is a very easy way. You play CA and play it the way you feel it should be played.

• Cool 3

[ICOP]
Members
229 posts
9,760 battles

In defense of the OP, I looked up his stats and the charts were interesting.  His average damage and average experience have been going up for weeks, but his win rate and PR (driven by win rate a lot) have been declining.

I'd be looking for somebody to blame as well.  He must have had an incredibly long streak of playing on bad teams. 

Or am I missing something? 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,536 posts
11,538 battles

I frequently see games where I'm 1 of 4 cruisers and there's 1 red destroyer.

After our carrier molests the red DD into irrelevance, what am I supposed to do all day?

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,609 posts
15,896 battles
1 hour ago, lucfier said:

Wow, I must have missed this months promotion list because I didn't know the game had put you in charge of assigning players roles to fill or targets to attack. Did the gang in Leningrad throw you a party? Was there cake? And punch? I hate it when I miss those things!

I must have missed that announcement too, the one where another player was designated to keep red ships from attacking your ship. Send me the names of those sorry players and I promise you I will send them a very strongly worded letter.

I'm sure it would be a lot better then it is now  where everyone  ones and hides or runs away from the enemy people would get in the fight and do something

Are you sure you had everyone's e-mails right when you sent them their assignments? Because it sounds like a lot of players didn't get them.

The game use to be fun to play  but lately all you see are Stat Mongers to worried about  there standing and not doing there designed ship role and leaving team mates out to dry.

Maybe if you remind everyone at the start of a match exactly what you have assigned them to do it will help, because certainly they will all see all you are trying to do is make the world safe for democracy and get a win for the team. Who could ever have a problem with that?

I hope you take this suggestion into consideration and get some positive feedback. So let the hate fly and lets see what happens 

I want to assure you personally that I have given this suggestion my full and in depth consideration and will apply your suggestions where ever I think they will do even the smallest amount of good. And don't concern yourself over those haters; they are just the kind of players who have radical and selfish ideas like they have a right to play their game and their ships the way they want. Anarchists and counter-revolutionaries! Ignore them while you continue to make demands and issue orders!

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,609 posts
15,896 battles
1 hour ago, mofton said:

what am I supposed to do all day?

Join me in Ten Forward, where I will continue to drink heavily. You should feel free to drop in just any old time and pour yourself a tall one. On me.

(It's Two for One any day it rains. Anywhere.)

[WOLF3]
Members
19,232 posts
17,583 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_h2o said:

You mean "ships not doing what you want them to do" so that you can sit in the back in a BB and farm damage!

I had someone yesterday showing me stuff about how someone in their Yamato was berating an Azuma player for not pushing and taking on a Missouri & Des Moines by himself.

"Were the MO & DM ships close to dying?"  They weren't.  If Azuma would have pushed, into them she'd have gotten annihilated by Missouri for sure (Overmatch at every godd**n angle with those 16" guns).  Nevermind what DM was going to do by face tanking the 305mm shells and Burn Azuma down with at least 5.5 second reloads.

Azuma got yelled at for playing the ship by kiting at range and trying to burn the pursuers down.  Far enough range where Azuma can still hit, far enough where Missouri had to work for landing the shots, far enough where Des Moines's guns were all but useless.

And Azuma got yelled at for doing what the ship was intended to do... The ONLY thing it could do.

• Cool 3

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
266 posts
9,948 battles

When I play cruiser, I do try to kill dds, but sometimes that is not possible or advisable. To reliably hit those dds, I would need to get closer, and if there's a lot of enemy BBs around, opening fire is an invitation for all those BBs to switch their guns on me and delete me from the game. So sometimes I would stay further back and focus on HE spamming BBs instead. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
1,441 posts
5,793 battles
3 hours ago, lucfier said:

No, there is no way to MAKE people do what you want them to do.  

Members
243 posts
72 battles
11 hours ago, lucfier said:

So what do you think about BBs role? Or DDs? Or CVs? Because I guess going with your suggestion not a player in WoW would earn any stats by this system. Is that better?

Members
159 posts
11 hours ago, lucfier said:

Folks  is there any way to make it where if a ship doesn't do its  role like  CA's that do nothing but fire on BB's to set them on fire instead of there role as killing dd's don't get full credit or XP.

You mean like the current system?  Where the XP I earn is based off the percentage of damage I do to an enemy ship. So if I spend the whole game spamming HE at a BB and never doing enough damage to kill him, because he just keeps healing it back, I don’t earn less XP than if I was instead killing off DDs and moving on to other ships? Or capping, or citadelling cruisers with my AP, or shooting down planes, or focusing fire on enemies?

You don’t need to handicap people for playing poorly.  They’re already handicapping themselves.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,513 posts
14,648 battles
15 hours ago, lucfier said:

I do whatever I believe it will take to win.  As for DDs messing with my BB, I can't remember the last time I was upset with a CA driver for not helping.  In fact, I can remember several occasions  lately where I was happy with a CA's performance in support.  Of course, I often play BB brawlers, so I have no qualms taking on a DD.

As a CA driver, I'm not worried about my stats...I'm worried about my SURVIVAL!!!!  There is a time to run interference with DDs...and there is a time to hide and shoot.  A CA captain must choose these times very carefully or risk instant delete...especially at high tier.   And there is also different play styles of CAs.  Some are designed to move up and dance...others do better at standoff ranges.

I recall a week or so ago getting called out by a BB captain for not screening a DD.  At the time, I was getting pummeled by a BB and doing everything I could to survive.  Once the BB was taken care of, I was able to move up and perform proper screening.  If I had done that when the BB had sights on me, I'd be dead.

I play BBs, CAs, DDs, and CVs.  I understand their abilities and constraints.  It's easy to complain about a ship not doing its job.  But you gotta put yourself in their shoes.  Understand the threats they are dealing with.  This isn't to say some folks can't do better at playing to their asymmetric advantages to assist the team.  I've seen some obvious situations where a player is just plain out of position.  But for the most part, I see players trying to survive...trying to win.  They might not be doing what I expect them to do, but unless I have a good idea of what they are seeing and experiencing, to include all the knowledge of enemy movement that put them there, then I must realize that what I "think" they should do might not be the best thing for them to do.

All in all, I probably see folks just simply making bad strategic/tactical decisions (me included at times) rather than failing to perform a duty the ship is designed to perform.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[-BUI-]
Members
885 posts
2,852 battles

Cruisers are going to attack whatever is the biggest threat to them, and that, most of the game, are Battleships.   

Frankly, EVERYONE should be shooting at the enemy DD if its spotted, but if its not spotted, I dunno what you expect the Cruisers to do, if they expose themselves too much enemy battleships will kill them quickly.  

• Cool 1

Members
536 posts

How about, realize it is just a game and people can play as they like provided they do not grief others playing the game. Last I checked Cruisers are just fine at burning down BBs and if they happen to chase down a DD then more power to them, if not I am not going to be worried about. However if it truly bothers you then play the CA and demonstrate without saying in chat how to do it better

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,797 posts
21,023 battles
24 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Cruisers are going to attack whatever is the biggest threat to them, and that, most of the game, are Battleships.   

Frankly, EVERYONE should be shooting at the enemy DD if its spotted, but if its not spotted, I dunno what you expect the Cruisers to do, if they expose themselves too much enemy battleships will kill them quickly.  

What he said. 

And also: not all cruisers can hide and spam HE. 

As a DD you don't need to cap ASAP. If you scout short before the cap and light up enemy BB/cruisers, that will help much more in the early game then a cap. 

If there is a thing crusiers really can complain about, then it's BB sitting behinde islands or at max range. Especially if it's a KM BB or a Mass. 

OP, I love to kill DD with my cruisers. Reason? More XP and credits by annihilate a 20k DD then burning 20k out of a 90k BB. Seems no one told you about this "secret".

Since you hide your stats: I guess you play mostly BB. How about try crusiers? The fun of getting deleted by any wrong move.

[WOLFC]
Members
868 posts
5,949 battles

Odds on the OP preferring to sail in straight lines?  :cap_horn:

[AP]
Members
1,231 posts
13,191 battles

such mode exist. 

its name is space battle

but i dont think space battle game quality is any different from random

[OO7]
Members
4,240 posts
10,903 battles
17 hours ago, lucfier said:

So if you are removing stats from the equation to hopefully force ships to do what you think they should, what does it matter? Then no one will care whether they win or lose if that's not being tracked. 

Sign in to follow this