You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

WoWs Tall Ships

6 comments in this topic

Members
3,930 posts
8,475 battles

Imagine a parallel battle mode available--Random Tall Ships: click and you end up in a beauty like this:

2137246724_Tallships.jpg.eaaa392eda5bb3677ec093619d315dc4.jpg

A typical broadside of a Royal Navy ship of the late 18th century could be fired 2–3 times in approximately 5 minutes, depending on the training of the crew, a well trained one being essential to the simple yet detailed process of preparing to fire.

Common sizes were 42-pounders, 36, 32, 24,18,12, 9, 8 and 6-pounders. and various smaller calibres. Select your type when in range: Round shot, canister. grape shot, chain shot, and more. Ranges: 1-2 kms. Yes, close-in fighting.

Just a thought. All in favour say Aye!

• Cool 1

[WDS]
Members
1,532 posts
8,267 battles
34 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Imagine a parallel battle mode available--Random Tall Ships: click and you end up in a beauty like this:

2137246724_Tallships.jpg.eaaa392eda5bb3677ec093619d315dc4.jpg

A typical broadside of a Royal Navy ship of the late 18th century could be fired 2–3 times in approximately 5 minutes, depending on the training of the crew, a well trained one being essential to the simple yet detailed process of preparing to fire.

Common sizes were 42-pounders, 36, 32, 24,18,12, 9, 8 and 6-pounders. and various smaller calibres. Select your type when in range: Round shot, canister. grape shot, chain shot, and more. Ranges: 1-2 kms. Yes, close-in fighting.

Just a thought. All in favour say Aye!

That's a great painting no interest .

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,261 posts
5,409 battles

Works for me as long as we can have the frigate Surprise and Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey :cap_like:

Members
3,930 posts
8,475 battles
17 minutes ago, clammboy said:

That's a great painting no interest .

Ditto with your comment. ;)

Members
2,617 posts
6,734 battles

42pdr long guns were common? 32pdr+ carronades were fairly common if i'm not mistaken, but 16-24pdrs is what i'd call common for sailing ships...after all if i'm not mistaken the 24pdrs of the first american frigates were heavier than what was commonly found on british ships at the time.

[SLDS]
Members
223 posts
1 hour ago, JohnPJones said:

42pdr long guns were common? 32pdr+ carronades were fairly common if i'm not mistaken, but 16-24pdrs is what i'd call common for sailing ships...after all if i'm not mistaken the 24pdrs of the first american frigates were heavier than what was commonly found on british ships at the time.

For most of the 18th Century, 12s and 18s were typical on anything below 2nd rates. 2nds and 1sts frequently had up to 32s, but usually only on the lower gundecks.  Actually, a well trained crew could fire about 3 times a minute, but after 5 minutes or so, this would slow to about 3 times every 2 minutes due crew fatigue and the overheating of the barrels. (Which could lead to pre-ignition of the propellant if the crew continued to push too hard) 

You could always get Empire: Total War.  This is pretty good simulation of 18th Century naval warfare in its naval component. (Like all games, there's some suspension of belief, like you can switch between shot types instantly, and the rate of fire never diminishes) However, I've always enjoyed the fact that you have to deal with wind, wave, and the enemy to succeed.

That being said, I do wish WoWs would model things like ship roll and how it affects accuracy.

Edited by JAKeller