Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Suomen_Panssari

Sneaky IJN DD vs Tunnel Vissoned CV's

23 comments in this topic

[ROTTN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
39 posts
498 battles

New to WoWS but I've been sneaky with IJN DD Minekaze been near edge map lately cause the new CV meta and i just stay near line sneak behind enemy team look for  tier 4 CV's parked up into island get in 7km and send them  some  Torp love and it hilarious how tunnel visioned some CV players are now days because they don't see it coming.:Smile_trollface:

Maybe some new CV's should watch mini map check edges so no DD's sneaking behind them  to swiggty swooty. :)

[WOLFC]
Members
898 posts
5,988 battles

The Tier IV sneak can be very effective.  Congrats

I wouldn't try that much in V & above play as  a good CV will always  move from spawn & will also make sure every DD has been spotted

[PQUOD]
Members
1,738 posts
8,976 battles

Yeah, that's fun. However usually in lower tiers if dealing with newer players. Once you get into radar land of T7 and above that kind of goes away. Your hunted like wild game by CV captains that realize the danger DD's pose. Or radared and focus fired by cruisers and anything else in the vicinity.

[JNPR]
Alpha Tester
1,719 posts
2,381 battles

Enjoy the fun while you can. Once you run into radar it won't be nowhere near as exciting.

[ROTTN]
39 posts
498 battles
4 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Yeah, that's fun. However usually in lower tiers if dealing with newer players. Once you get into radar land of T7 and above that kind of goes away. Your hunted like wild game by CV captains that realize the danger DD's pose. Or radared and focus fired by cruisers and anything else in the vicinity.

9 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

The Tier IV sneak can be very effective.  Congrats

I wouldn't try that much in V & above play as  a good CV will always  move from spawn & will also make sure every DD has been spotted

I only have the Hatsuharu as my highest tier and i have had some success in that as well and i know this wont work all time but funny when it does happen. Usually does when enemy leaves one whole side open and most their ships are dead when I usually get sneaky

• Cool 1

[ODIN]
Members
1,322 posts
3,206 battles

It can be effective in the lower tiers, but you'll have better luck keeping closer to the allied fleet as you move up. Spotting is only useful if there are people close enough to capitalize on it, and you'll appreciate the assistance with AA.

Beta Testers
503 posts
10,607 battles

Took out a T8 and T6 CV in the same match in my Lightning doing the same thing. Know your detect ranges and where the radar boats hide and you can sneak past and give them an unhappy match.:Smile_honoring:

[INTEL]
Members
1,243 posts
10,931 battles
44 minutes ago, Suomen_Panssari said:

I only have the Hatsuharu as my highest tier and i have had some success in that as well and i know this wont work all time but funny when it does happen. Usually does when enemy leaves one whole side open and most their ships are dead when I usually get sneaky

It's hilarious when the red team makes a major misplay leaving one side wide open. I was playing Podvoisky in a T5 match one night, double Langley's on each team. They left one Wyoming isolated on my side.. it lasted about 2 minutes. Podvoisky hits +47kts on boost.. I couldnt stop laughing.

[SIM]
Members
3,456 posts
5,322 battles

It’s a good tactic, as long as you can do it somewhat quickly. If you spend too much time setting it up, you deprive your team of valuable DD support. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
3,142 posts
4,934 battles

I'm actually seeing something of a torpedo-boat Renaissance as of the carrier rework. So long as you stay stealthy and away from predictable paths, the Japanese destroyerscan be a very effective COUNTER to carriers, though you do have to be careful with cheesy flanks like that. And if they do focus you? Smoke up, speed tank, drive erratically, maybe throw in a taunt or two. Keep them BUSY so that they're not going after the big guns. It worked for me in Fubuki, I lasted nearly to the end of a match being hounded by a Ryujo and only succumbed when his buddy the Implacable came to rain on my parade.

Makes me glad that I got Akatsuki.

[A_C_F]
Members
201 posts
3,193 battles

They have made their way to VIII CV's now.  I had a few games where a DD was ignored by our CV and was allowed to cap at will and go on a torp'o'rama that caused our team to lose.  He had a really good match.  Why can't I get so lucky? :(

Edited by HeadSplit120

[A_C_F]
Members
201 posts
3,193 battles
1 minute ago, Landsraad said:

I'm actually seeing something of a torpedo-boat Renaissance as of the carrier rework. So long as you stay stealthy and away from predictable paths, the Japanese destroyerscan be a very effective COUNTER to carriers, though you do have to be careful with cheesy flanks like that. And if they do focus you? Smoke up, speed tank, drive erratically, maybe throw in a taunt or two. Keep them BUSY so that they're not going after the big guns. It worked for me in Fubuki, I lasted nearly to the end of a match being hounded by a Ryujo and only succumbed when his buddy the Implacable came to rain on my parade.

Makes me glad that I got Akatsuki.

You're right about the predictable paths.  CV's will accidently stumble on you if you're lined up with a ship thats behind you.  They will take the direct'ish route to the ship.  Might deviate a little in order to avoid a nasty AA cruiser.

[GSKUL]
Members
71 posts
1,412 battles

I did it in a Dallas once. It's fun, but your team better have the game well in hand. Taking yourself, and your spotting, out of the game is a good way to get some useless reports.

[B_Y_F]
Members
308 posts
8,047 battles

Yesterday I got two T8 CV in my new Yukikaze.

Funny fact was that I didn't hug map borders. I just walked right through B cap(cap it) at the middle of the map to their spawn and 2/2 devastating  strike. 

I realized there are many CV newcomers. 

Members
400 posts

I did that with a CA some time ago. Went up a flank to get some shots and found myself at the back of the map and thought what the hell. CV was not happy. Got a few others looking the wrong way too.

Beta Testers
659 posts
7,892 battles

Well, IMHO, if a DD is going around the edges to hunt a CV, they aren't doing their job.  Which is basically, anti-DD, spotting, denying areas and capping (if they can).  Again my opinion.

They are basically taking themselves out of the game for a long time for questionable results

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,332 posts
15,132 battles
18 hours ago, Suomen_Panssari said:

New to WoWS but I've been sneaky with IJN DD Minekaze been near edge map lately cause the new CV meta and i just stay near line sneak behind enemy team look for  tier 4 CV's parked up into island get in 7km and send them  some  Torp love and it hilarious how tunnel visioned some CV players are now days because they don't see it coming.:Smile_trollface:

Maybe some new CV's should watch mini map check edges so no DD's sneaking behind them  to swiggty swooty. :)

Unfortunately that is where and how bad dd behavior develops. I did it as well.

That does not work in higher tiers, enjoy it now, but your primary job is to protect your fleet, spot for them and keep enemy dds from getting in close and torping your big ships. If you are on the 10 line how are you going to stop them from capping bases?

[A-I-M]
Members
1,439 posts
15,885 battles

When it works, its great fun. If you guess wrong, you have been useless most of the game. 

Better CV players in low tier CVs wont tolerate any enemy DDs being unlocated past the first few minutes of the game. 

Supertester
2,171 posts
9,234 battles
19 hours ago, Suomen_Panssari said:

Doing that sort of thing is a very very high risk high reward to start with, but honestly at T7 and (definitely) past that the risk far far outweighs the reward. That sort of thing is a very very bad thing to get into the habit of doing, so work on breaking that habit before it grows any further.
If you need or want any further assistance with DD play do reach out to me and I'll be more than glad to help you out. The more players who have a clue means less players that dont 

[R-F]
Members
1,204 posts
7,860 battles

In the first couple weeks of the rework, a LOT of carrier players were forgetting to move their ships, even if the side they spawned on was being overrun.  Most people have gotten better at that.

Now, in high tier play, if the carrier has a general idea of which way you're coming from, he'll simply turn and go the other way, at a speed not much slower than yours.  Forget torpedoes at that point, your only hope is your guns.  Good luck with that... and did I mention he's going to automatically put out any fire you start?

Members
400 posts
1 hour ago, Siegewolf said:

Well, IMHO, if a DD is going around the edges to hunt a CV, they aren't doing their job.  Which is basically, anti-DD, spotting, denying areas and capping (if they can).  Again my opinion.

They are basically taking themselves out of the game for a long time for questionable results

New at this time, but it seems since the CV rework that role may have changed some. 

It seems the CVs pretty much do the spotting and taking on a DD with a torp DD would be iffy unless they got careless. 

Maybe at first just try to survive and take advantage of opportunities. 

But I am new and a PvE type at that. I guess it would depend on the ship you have like the other classes.  

[R-F]
Members
1,204 posts
7,860 battles
1 minute ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Maybe at first just try to survive and take advantage of opportunities. 

You're not wrong, although you have to be close enough to the action to take advantage of the opportunities when they come.  If you're way off trying to run down a carrier you can't do that.

Members
400 posts
2 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

You're not wrong, although you have to be close enough to the action to take advantage of the opportunities when they come.  If you're way off trying to run down a carrier you can't do that.

I undestand your thought and agree. I would not plan to do it unless something changes. It might be interesting with the very fast French DDs depending on the map and ship distribution. But they are the ships that can run down and kill DDs too.

Sign in to follow this