Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Yoshiblue

I Feel Carriers Don't Have Enough To Do

6 comments in this topic

Members
3,207 posts
3,524 battles

Now before anything is said, don't change the Premium CVs. Let being a more aggressive attack focus play style be their selling point. The key here is to change the tech tree playstyle. Damage is their primary focus right now and planes ignore everything to do it with little team play involved. Yeah a CV can spot or provide fighter support, but how many of them actually do that when not up tiered? Personally I think WG has the right idea with the rumored support CVs and I say the current CVs and support CV idea should be merged into one in a way. These are the idea i'd like to propose. 

1. Start the CVs with fighters instead of attack craft.
  • This is to make CVs accessible to pros and new players alike and give ships with poor AA a fighting chance. This will also emphasize skills in resource management and map control.
  • With the number keys the fighters will have the most amount of consumables than anything else in the game. Naturally as tiers go up the number of fighters available per squadron go up as well. 
  • As a fighter squadron you don't do any sort of attacking on your own, however you will be able to see enemy plans and shoot them down yourself. Instead you fly around designating areas of attack and support the team. For example with the 1 key, you can sacrifice a bit of your fighter's HP pool to leave behind a squadron to patrol the area like fighters do now. Only they stay until they run out of ammo or are all shot down. Like the old RTS style even if you do spot an enemy DD, you as the carrier won't be responsible for taking them out.  
  • 2-4 key will be to lay down a zone for an attack craft of your choice to swoop in and auto drop anything that sails into them. Not only will this allow you to continue your support of the team, but auto drops will make damage less consistent but allow the alpha damage to increase to maybe the RTS numbers again. A global cooldown will be shared among all of them so you can't just stack them over another ship all at once. This may benefit RN bombers more though because the opposing ship will have less time to counter the alignment of the drop. Global cooldowns will be removed should your carrier be detected and became restricted again when undetected. 
  • 5 key will drop a smoke over allies.
  • 6-10 keys will be whatever other support abilities come with support CVs. 
  • You will have to return to the CV to recharge spent aircraft. The longer you sit in the carrier the more charges will be restored. 

1. What this means for odd and even carriers.
  • Even number carriers will continue the tradition of being attack focused. They will have more charges of strike craft than odd numbered CVs, thus be able to lay down more traps for the enemy to sail into. 
  • Likewise odd number carriers will have more support charges than even numbered CVs. Maybe to compensate, the odd number carriers will have better DOT proc chances in their strike craft.
  • Both will be able to do the same job but more effectively than the other. 
  • Odd numbered CVs for example can act as another ship when an ally is in a cap zone, speeding up the capping process. Even number CV planes will move faster.
  • Because their average damage will be hammered by AI auto drops, the system must be change to reward other aspects of gameplay such as spotting, spotting damage, capping with the usual damage rewards taking a back seat.
  • Even numbered CVs will have the limited consumable ability to personally control their strike craft as they do now. 
  • Odd numbered CVs will have the limited consumable ability to enter into strafe mode to quickly dispatch enemy planes at no cost to ammo.  

As said this is to make CVs accessible to pros and newcomers alike. The aim is to also help ships with poor AA and people who tire of being tormented by air attacks. This will also make the CV more team oriented rather than be the ignore everything and damage mode it is now. Realistically I expect this idea to be rejected by a lot of people as it take away a lot of people's ability to directly do damage. I also don't see it happening because it would be asking for another drastic rework on top of the one we just got, but i'd like to know what everyone thinks about it so far.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 4

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts

I hope that air-smoke is very short lived. Im imagining a CV/harugumo/mino permasmoke division.

[WOLF6]
Members
678 posts
6,094 battles

You mean launching these ain't enough ?

serveimage.png

Beta Testers
711 posts
9,300 battles
1 hour ago, Yoshiblue said:

Now before anything is said, don't change the Premium CVs. Let being a more aggressive attack focus play style be their selling point. The key here is to change the tech tree playstyle. Damage is their primary focus right now and planes ignore everything to do it with little team play involved. Yeah a CV can spot or provide fighter support, but how many of them actually do that when not up tiered? Personally I think WG has the right idea with the rumored support CVs and I say the current CVs and support CV idea should be merged into one in a way. These are the idea i'd like to propose. 

1. Start the CVs with fighters instead of attack craft.
  • This is to make CVs accessible to pros and new players alike and give ships with poor AA a fighting chance. This will also emphasize skills in resource management and map control.
  • With the number keys the fighters will have the most amount of consumables than anything else in the game. Naturally as tiers go up the number of fighters available per squadron go up as well. 
  • As a fighter squadron you don't do any sort of attacking on your own, however you will be able to see enemy plans and shoot them down yourself. Instead you fly around designating areas of attack and support the team. For example with the 1 key, you can sacrifice a bit of your fighter's HP pool to leave behind a squadron to patrol the area like fighters do now. Only they stay until they run out of ammo or are all shot down. Like the old RTS style even if you do spot an enemy DD, you as the carrier won't be responsible for taking them out.  
  • 2-4 key will be to lay down a zone for an attack craft of your choice to swoop in and auto drop anything that sails into them. Not only will this allow you to continue your support of the team, but auto drops will make damage less consistent but allow the alpha damage to increase to maybe the RTS numbers again. A global cooldown will be shared among all of them so you can't just stack them over another ship all at once. This may benefit RN bombers more though because the opposing ship will have less time to counter the alignment of the drop. Global cooldowns will be removed should your carrier be detected and became restricted again when undetected. 
  • 5 key will drop a smoke over allies.
  • 6-10 keys will be whatever other support abilities come with support CVs. 
  • You will have to return to the CV to recharge spent aircraft. The longer you sit in the carrier the more charges will be restored. 

1. What this means for odd and even carriers.
  • Even number carriers will continue the tradition of being attack focused. They will have more charges of strike craft than odd numbered CVs, thus be able to lay down more traps for the enemy to sail into. 
  • Likewise odd number carriers will have more support charges than even numbered CVs. Maybe to compensate, the odd number carriers will have better DOT proc chances in their strike craft.
  • Both will be able to do the same job but more effectively than the other. 
  • Odd numbered CVs for example can act as another ship when an ally is in a cap zone, speeding up the capping process. Even number CV planes will move faster.
  • Because their average damage will be hammered by AI auto drops, the system must be change to reward other aspects of gameplay such as spotting, spotting damage, capping with the usual damage rewards taking a back seat.
  • Even numbered CVs will have the limited consumable ability to personally control their strike craft as they do now. 
  • Odd numbered CVs will have the limited consumable ability to enter into strafe mode to quickly dispatch enemy planes at no cost to ammo.  

As said this is to make CVs accessible to pros and newcomers alike. The aim is to also help ships with poor AA and people who tire of being tormented by air attacks. This will also make the CV more team oriented rather than be the ignore everything and damage mode it is now. Realistically I expect this idea to be rejected by a lot of people as it take away a lot of people's ability to directly do damage. I also don't see it happening because it would be asking for another drastic rework on top of the one we just got, but i'd like to know what everyone thinks about it so far.

I dont think they can put carriers in a place that both camps will accept.

You cant balance 1 class with laser guided ordnance against ww2 artillery mechanics.

Some players will never accept that kind of gameplay. Its never fun to just be a target with no way to respond or end the threat. It very simply is not fun.

People dont waste precious game time on being a target only.

One more time for WG sake...

It is not fun.

Members
3,207 posts
3,524 battles
2 hours ago, Dareios said:

I hope that air-smoke is very short lived. Im imagining a CV/harugumo/mino permasmoke division.

Would be scary, yeah. Would also make taking smokescreen expert interesting. 

1 hour ago, retic1959 said:

You mean launching these ain't enough ?

serveimage.png

I'd be all for a Mario collab, but Bowser doesn't do modern warships. Would be an excuse for a T2-4 event though. 

1 hour ago, Velled said:

I dont think they can put carriers in a place that both camps will accept.

You cant balance 1 class with laser guided ordnance against ww2 artillery mechanics.

Some players will never accept that kind of gameplay. Its never fun to just be a target with no way to respond or end the threat. It very simply is not fun.

People dont waste precious game time on being a target only.

One more time for WG sake...

It is not fun.

I agree. In my mind the current CV appeals to the lacking fulfillment of skipping the setup and getting right into the thick of it. To the COD/Battlefield player who wants to rush in, die and get right back in a few seconds a later. I don't see it going away anytime soon, but we'll see in time. 

Sign in to follow this