Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Thanos_Snap_

Am I the only one who gets a vaguely off-putting feeling from the AL Montpelier?

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

150
[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
99 posts

First, I am already a total weeb and have nothing against the content. However, it just strikes me as odd to release Montpelier, a totally unique Cleveland premium as a collab only ship. Its like the Harekaze all over again. A totally unique premium locked behind anime content. I get the anti-weebsh#t button is a thing. But wouldn't it have been more prudent to just release Montpelier as a standalone premium with totally normal styling, AND THEN do the AL collab with the unique skin? 
Just a quick thought I had. Would be nice to have a totally normal version of the Harekaze still available for purchase, but considering the unique armaments of that ship are totally fictitious, I don't see how it could happen without some kind of copyright stink, and at worse it would just be another unnecessary Kagero clone.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,206 posts
3,521 battles

I figured AL Montpelier and AL Yukikaze were getting the same treatment as the Black Friday and ARP ships. 

ARP Kongo. Standard Kongo.

Tirpiz B. Standard Tirpiz.

So personally I wouldn't be surprised if it went AL Montpelier, Standard Montpelier. I assume the AL versions came out first because of the collab. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,401
[WGA]
Administrator
1,198 posts
486 battles

The Montpelier is definitely a collaboration ship for now and while there isn't a "non AL" version available it is possible to use the ship with the Anime style content turned off.  This will of course negate the permanent camo, but it will otherwise work perfectly normally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
623
[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,504 posts
4,402 battles

Only reason why there's no non-HSF version of Harekaze is because that particular ship was created just for that anime show. AFAIK, there was no real life ship in history with that name. Hence, I don't think WG is able to make a non-HSF version of Harekaze without the permission of the anime studio, or something. I donno.

As for Yukikaze and Montpelier, I highly doubt WG can't make standard versions of them, since those ships did really exist in real life. My guess is that maybe WG decided to roll with the collab version first, for whatever reason. Maybe the time will tell? Perhaps a bit of a patience is required in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,478
[HYDRO]
Members
2,857 posts
4,596 battles
40 minutes ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

Just a quick thought I had. Would be nice to have a totally normal version of the Harekaze still available for purchase, but considering the unique armaments of that ship are totally fictitious, I don't see how it could happen without some kind of copyright stink, and at worse it would just be another unnecessary Kagero clone.

No it actually isn't that fictitious. It's inspired by a post war modification of the actual Yukikaze used by the Republic of China, called Tan Yang. Quoting from the wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_destroyer_Yukikaze_(1939)

Quote

Tan Yang served as flagship of the Republic of China Navy, and between 1947 and 1953 was fitted with Type 89 12.7 cm/40 dual mounted guns, in addition to the Type 98 10cm/65 dual mounted guns already in use. In 1953, Tan Yang was refitted; all Japanese armaments were removed and replaced with three open air mounted 5"/38 caliber guns, 3"/50 caliber guns replaced the torpedo tubes, Bofors 40 mm guns, and newer depth charge launchers. The Republic of China Navy had no use for the original torpedo tubes as they did not have access to the appropriate armaments.

Since Harekaze was removed we have been asking for Tan Yang to be used as a Pan Asian tier VIII DD, with the different armaments. :Smile_izmena:

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[VENUM]
Members
49 posts
5,106 battles

Of course WG are going to lock certain ships behind Anime Collaborations. Their objective is to make money, and if the only way to get it is to buy the Anime ship, then you either grow a set of balls and get over the fact that it has a nice camo, or you live without. I personally LOVE that WG is creative enough to collaborate with other companies for these unique types of content. Just sad that the "realists" want to whine about adding new flare to the game. If you don't like it, you don't have to spend money on it. If we are going to be on that topic of "why is this ship ONLY for Anime", well, where is the NON STEEL version of the Stalingrad? Oh, there isn't one? thats a shame. lets whine about it until there is one. 

 

WELL DONE WG, keep up the Cool Collabs. forget about the whiny people that want a vanilla version. Keep it unique. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,127
[SIM]
Members
3,456 posts
5,322 battles

They branded it as “AL Montpelier” for a reason. Non-AL Montpelier will be out eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,039
[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,374 posts
5,428 battles

Note that the new ships are called "AL Yukikaze", and "AL Montpelier", rather than just "Yukikaze" and "Montpelier". Now consider why WG did this and gave the ships only the AL perma camo option.

I believe it is likely that in future, WG will release non collaboration versions. I'm guessing after the collaboration license ends. It's not like WG doesn't clone ships for events and collaborations. It's happened a few times already with the 'Lima' ships, and the Black Friday clones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,657
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,458 posts
12,810 battles
1 hour ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Only reason why there's no non-HSF version of Harekaze is because that particular ship was created just for that anime show. AFAIK, there was no real life ship in history with that name. Hence, I don't think WG is able to make a non-HSF version of Harekaze without the permission of the anime studio, or something. I donno.

As for Yukikaze and Montpelier, I highly doubt WG can't make standard versions of them, since those ships did really exist in real life. My guess is that maybe WG decided to roll with the collab version first, for whatever reason. Maybe the time will tell? Perhaps a bit of a patience is required in this case.

They could just stick the current Cleveland permanent camo on it as an option for the player to choose too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,657
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,458 posts
12,810 battles
34 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Note that the new ships are called "AL Yukikaze", and "AL Montpelier", rather than just "Yukikaze" and "Montpelier". Now consider why WG did this and gave the ships only the AL perma camo option.

I believe it is likely that in future, WG will release non collaboration versions. I'm guessing after the collaboration license ends. It's not like WG doesn't clone ships for events and collaborations. It's happened a few times already with the 'Lima' ships, and the Black Friday clones.

HSF Harekaze has a pretty standard looking IJN camo option too.  The only thing that really makes sense is that the AL collab requires the collab camo in the paperwork somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,039
[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,374 posts
5,428 battles
12 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

HSF Harekaze has a pretty standard looking IJN camo option too.  The only thing that really makes sense is that the AL collab requires the collab camo in the paperwork somewhere.

Only WG knows the true answer. Maybe they figured that they can make more money by selling seperate versions instead of one with multiple camos.

It's not new though. WG has already done this before where the Lima and Black edition ships didn't have an alternative standard camo. If a player wants a Montpelier/Yukikaze with a standard perma camo, they will just have to wait unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
623
[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,504 posts
4,402 battles
34 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

They could just stick the current Cleveland permanent camo on it as an option for the player to choose too.

You're actually right, because both HSF Harekaze and HSF Garf Spee do come with the generic vanilla perma camo's as well.

I kind of wonder why WG didn't do that this time. It's not like the generic USN cruiser perma camo or the generic IJN DD perma camo is hard to make or something, since both are already in the game from other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,657
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,458 posts
12,810 battles
17 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Only WG knows the true answer. Maybe they figured that they can make more money by selling seperate versions instead of one with multiple camos.

It's not new though. WG has already done this before where the Lima and Black edition ships didn't have an alternative standard camo. If a player wants a Montpelier/Yukikaze with a standard perma camo, they will just have to wait unfortunately.

I was on the fence with Montpelier.  The USN Cruiser fan in me wants it very much.  The cheap bastid in me says I already have a Cleveland with perma-camo that I don't play.  The weeb camo just makes it a pass. 

That said, I'd probably deal with the weeb camo, if it was /different/ than the Cleveland other than just worse.  For example, giving it the Boise treatment and swapping out radar for a heal, I'd probably pick it up regardless of camo.  I play my weeb Myokos fairly often.  I use my weeb captains, and even /like/ some of them.  I'm not anti-weeb, just not pro-weeb either.  Given an option on camos, I'm always picking a /normal/ camo if it's an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
952
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,142 posts
4,934 battles

Montpelier doesn't come with an alternate camo? Not even an option to palette-swap the current one if you've got the US cruiser collection unlocked? Well that sucks, and tells me my stance on her. I can understand not just letting her use Cleveland's camo, but no alternate camo at all? Seems weird after the HSF ships.

8 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

No it actually isn't that fictitious. It's inspired by a post war modification of the actual Yukikaze used by the Republic of China, called Tan Yang. Quoting from the wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_destroyer_Yukikaze_(1939)

Since Harekaze was removed we have been asking for Tan Yang to be used as a Pan Asian tier VIII DD, with the different armaments. :Smile_izmena:

I did not know that, that's kind of awesome! Of course a "true" Tan Yang wouldn't work (or would be a huge departure from current ships) given her total lack of torps. Still, let her keep the original torpedo armament and that would be a really neat premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,220
[WOLF3]
Members
19,347 posts
17,682 battles

It's almost as if people don't remember there's a "Graf Spee" and "HSF Graf Spee" in the game.  And they didn't come out at the same time.

Image result for mind blown gif imgur

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,030
[ARGSY]
Members
10,357 posts
6,757 battles
10 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I kind of wonder why WG didn't do that this time.

Conditions imposed by the licence, most likely; for which the finger of responsibility (or blame, depending on your feelings) must point at Azur Lane, not WG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,039
[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,374 posts
5,428 battles
4 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Montpelier doesn't come with an alternate camo? Not even an option to palette-swap the current one if you've got the US cruiser collection unlocked? Well that sucks, and tells me my stance on her. I can understand not just letting her use Cleveland's camo, but no alternate camo at all? Seems weird after the HSF ships.

 

'AL Montpelier' doesn't come with a standard 'historical' camo. It's an anime collaboration ship. People will have to wait for the non anime normal Montpelier to be released.

The Black ships came afrer the HSF ships, and nobody complained then that they didn't have a standard perma camo. The HSF ships are exceptions, rather than the rule. The majority of special event or colaboration ships didn't get alternative standard perma camos. The Black Friday ships, Lima edition ships, Kamikaze R and Fujin don't get alt camos, and the ARP ships can't change their looks at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
607
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
1,251 posts
5,254 battles

I wonder if I was the only one to purchase the HSF Graf Spee thinking it was just the Graf Spee.  I was pretty torqued off when I saw who my captain was.  What a noob.  How the heck do you live for 50 something years and never hear of anime.  Geez.

Don't get me wrong, I am digging "Herself" now, but at first....:Smile-angry:

Thanks to Santa, I now have both.  I don't mind the anime captains and pixelbotes.  I won't be spending money on them, but I will gladly take them for free.

If the Montpelier was more than a copy pasta Cleveland, I would have been interested in her as a trainer.  I have a Boise so I don't have a pressing need for another US CL trainer.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,625
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,196 battles
37 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I wonder if I was the only one to purchase the HSF Graf Spee thinking it was just the Graf Spee.  I was pretty torqued off when I saw who my captain was.  What a noob.  How the heck do you live for 50 something years and never hear of anime.  Geez.

Don't get me wrong, I am digging "Herself" now, but at first....:Smile-angry:

Thanks to Santa, I now have both.  I don't mind the anime captains and pixelbotes.  I won't be spending money on them, but I will gladly take them for free.

If the Montpelier was more than a copy pasta Cleveland, I would have been interested in her as a trainer.  I have a Boise so I don't have a pressing need for another US CL trainer.

LOL Well join the club, I never heard of anime either before I played WoWS.  Growing up in the 70's the only thing we had that was close was "Speed Racer" which was considered crappy Japanese animation..... If the had the cute girls with gigantic bosoms back then, it would have been far more popular but luckily for us, we had Linda Carter... Rachel Welsh.... Ann Margaret….  Adriene Barbeau… Barbie Benton...

Ok we didn't need cartoon breastessess..

Personally I don't care for the cartoon stuff but am glad it is in the game for those who like it.. I am also thankful we can turn it off. Everyone is happy.

Edited by Taylor3006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,657
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,458 posts
12,810 battles
14 hours ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

First, I am already a total weeb and have nothing against the content. However, it just strikes me as odd to release Montpelier, a totally unique Cleveland premium as a collab only ship. Its like the Harekaze all over again. A totally unique premium locked behind anime content. I get the anti-weebsh#t button is a thing. But wouldn't it have been more prudent to just release Montpelier as a standalone premium with totally normal styling, AND THEN do the AL collab with the unique skin? 
Just a quick thought I had. Would be nice to have a totally normal version of the Harekaze still available for purchase, but considering the unique armaments of that ship are totally fictitious, I don't see how it could happen without some kind of copyright stink, and at worse it would just be another unnecessary Kagero clone.

Harekaze at least has normal camo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,030
[ARGSY]
Members
10,357 posts
6,757 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

The Black ships came afrer the HSF ships, and nobody complained then that they didn't have a standard perma camo.

That's because the Black ships aren't anime ships, and therefore don't automatically throw a subset of players into a terminal nosedive.

1 hour ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I wonder if I was the only one to purchase the HSF Graf Spee thinking it was just the Graf Spee.

I would have bought the HSF ship over the standard one because IIRC her camo has additional captain training bonuses. But the thing which sucked me into spending money on this game was the big Steam sale last year just before the US cruiser split, and the standard ship was so cheap there was no way I was going to let it pass. And in between then and when the HSF content was withdrawn, I never played the original enough to justify the duplicate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×