You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Mutsu - Need advice

22 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I purchased this battleship some time ago but I am unable to make it works well. I like the concept of the ship, a Nagato with defensive torps, but I find Fuso easier to play and more effective, my average damage with Mutsu is 30000 which is not great. With the presence of CVs meaning several planes, I find Mutsu AA really useless and I am constantly an easy target for CVs. Also, which captain skills would you recommend?

Edited by Avrova1904

Members
4,196 posts
9,482 battles

Funny you should mention it--I just sold mine a few days ago. Why play the Mutsu when I have a Nagato with perm camo? The torps are about as useful as fins on a '59 Buick. So, she was removed from the fleet finally.

[RLGN]
Members
12,300 posts
22,038 battles
15 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Funny you should mention it--I just sold mine a few days ago. Why play the Mutsu when I have a Nagato with perm camo? The torps are about as useful as fins on a '59 Buick. So, she was removed from the fleet finally.

(Mweh-heh-heh; I predict your next SC will have a Mutsu... Like the mythical Monkey paw, sold premiums come back to haunt you. Someone posted recently about selling Kut, and buying crates; in which they received a Kut...)

• Funny 2

[O_O]
Members
5,806 posts
13,429 battles
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

(Mweh-heh-heh; I predict your next SC will have a Mutsu... Like the mythical Monkey paw, sold premiums come back to haunt you. Someone posted recently about selling Kut, and buying crates; in which they received a Kut...)

Why in the :etc_swear: would anyone sell Kutuzov?!?  That ship is a beast!

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,541 posts
18,065 battles
1 hour ago, Avrova1904 said:

I purchased this battleship some time ago but I am unable to make it works well. I like the concept of the ship, a Nagato with defensive torps, but I find Fuso easier to play and more effective, my average damage with Mutsu is 30000 which is not great. With the presence of CVs meaning several planes, I find Mutsu AA really useless and I am constantly an easy target for CVs. Also, which captain skills would you recommend?

The first thing I would recommend is for you to read @LittleWhiteMouse's review of Mutsu; it holds some very helpful information and will aid you in learning how to best play the ship. I love mine, which I won in a supercontainer, even though I am NOT in any way, shape, or form a BB main. I enjoy her tankiness, and the impact those 16" guns can have on the enemy. Like many BBs, she is vulnerable to fire, torps, and air power, so yoloing is a bozo no no. She has good range, hits like a truck, and can bounce a lot of incoming shells if angled correctly. She also handles like a truck, burns like a dry forest, and is about as maneuverable as a drunken fat girl on roller skates. She requires love and patience, but can reward the experienced hand. Good luck with yours and don't get discouraged.

Members
4,196 posts
9,482 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

The first thing I would recommend is for you to read @LittleWhiteMouse's review of Mutsu; it holds some very helpful information and will aid you in learning how to best play the ship. I love mine, which I won in a supercontainer, even though I am NOT in any way, shape, or form a BB main. I enjoy her tankiness, and the impact those 16" guns can have on the enemy. Like many BBs, she is vulnerable to fire, torps, and air power, so yoloing is a bozo no no. She has good range, hits like a truck, and can bounce a lot of incoming shells if angled correctly. She also handles like a truck, burns like a dry forest, and is about as maneuverable as a drunken fat girl on ice skates. She requires love and patience, but can reward the experienced hand. Good luck with yours and don't get discouraged.

Yes I didn't mean to imply she is a bad ship, at all. But I prefer those guns on the Nagato or Amagi.

One of the fascinating things about this game is the synergy that certain players have with certain ships. That's my epiphany for today.

Members
4,196 posts
9,482 battles
32 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

You could waterboard me and I will never sell my Kutuzov... nuh uh.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,545 posts
12,251 battles

I don't feel like it was a particularly strong ship in the first place, and it's just made worse now by all the planes.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,541 posts
18,065 battles
41 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

But I prefer those guns on the Nagato or Amagi.

Who doesn't, though it isn't the guns, it's the ammo. The guns are the same. But that's why one is tier 8, one is tier 7, and Mutsu is tier 6. 

Members
4,196 posts
9,482 battles
19 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Who doesn't, though it isn't the guns, it's the ammo. The guns are the same. But that's why one is tier 8, one is tier 7, and Mutsu is tier 6. 

True dat.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,933 posts
20,858 battles
7 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

When the Smoke - Gun Detection Nerf hit, a bunch of idiots sold off their Belfasts and Kutuzovs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I like when things go well in this ship but most of the times are not. For example, I just finished my latest game sunk because the two CVs were focusing on me and I couldn't dodge all the torps and bombs. The AA is too weak to compete against two CVs, not to mention if one of them is 2 tiers above. Any captain skills you can recommend me for Mutsu?

Members
824 posts
3,984 battles

Tier 1 skills: pick one skill, which ever you prefer.

Tier 2 skills: Jack of all trades, High Alert.

Tier 3 skills: Superintendent, Survivability Expert.

Tier 4 skills: Fire Prevention, Advanced Fire training.

On a side note I'd also recommend taking the Propulsion Modification 2 upgrade and putting the Sierra Mike Signal flag on the Mutsu, that way the AA bubble from your team can't leave you behind and it'll help with avoiding torpedo's since you move much faster. Also try to avoid any incoming fire from anything bigger then a 14 inch gun as it will plow through your armor even if you angle.

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,707 posts
22,019 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I think Mutsu is better suited for playing in operations.

Your nautical mileage may vary.  :-)

The torpedo armed BBs work really well against bots since most of those fights are up close and personal. Mutsu is a great boat for co-op play and OPs. 

[FEF]
Members
60 posts
4,865 battles
On 5/5/2019 at 10:22 AM, Avrova1904 said:

The AA is too weak to compete against two CVs

true for every ship in the game.  staying in formation with friendly ships helps, especially with sector boosting

Members
1,975 posts
7,002 battles
On 5/2/2019 at 4:28 PM, Avrova1904 said:

"... Also, which captain skills would you recommend?"

I suggest ...
Preventive Maintenance.
Last Stand
Superintendent
Fire Prevention

Options would be to include skills that decrease the time for damage control & other consumables to reload and/or boost the ship's health-points, and ship modules to reduce the duration of flooding or fire. 
Also, if you have the credits to spend, consider premium consumables.

The Mutsu's four single-tube torpedo launchers reload in 20 seconds and aren't your primary weapon system, they supplement the main guns and secondary guns nicely though.  The point is that there is no need to spend skill points on torpedo improvements.  They also tend to get incapacitated from incoming fire hitting the Mutsu's broadside.  One could swap a Main Magazine modification for one that improves the survival chances of all ship's weapons, and then hoist a flag to prevent magazine detonation (provided one has that flag).

As other's have mentioned, the Mutsu's main gun projectiles are the "older" Type 88 instead of Nagato's Type 91 projectiles.  The Type 88's are fine at Tier 6 and below, but don't up-tier very competitively.
  For bombarding shore installations and hitting soft-hulled ships, they're great.
  For high-tier BB targets, just understand their limitations and do your best to make each shot count.

Mutsu (and Nagato) are claimed to have "squishy" armor schemes (according to Little White Mouse's wiki article).  
All ships can be sunk by some combination of fire/flood/warhead damage.
Play as well as you can with what you've got (whatever the situation).

Yes, I still enjoy playing Mutsu.  :-)

[CWM]
Members
475 posts
15,277 battles

I have found the Mutsu pretty well just average or below but I got it so cheap it's a keeper since it's a premium. Even with the torps it still under performs tech tree T6 BBs imho. I just swap captains between it and my T5 Zucchini premium BB.  I agree it's probably best just to play it in co-op and operations battles.

Edited by dust340man

[WOLF3]
Members
22,933 posts
20,858 battles

The thing with Mutsu is although it has more powerful 410mm guns with bonafide Overmatch advantages, she only has 8 of them in Tier VI.  The Sigma is also decent at 1.8 but it's not enough, not for 8 rifles this tier.

Fuso OTOH has far, far more forgiving gunnery.  She only sports 356mm guns and has a terrible 1.5 Sigma.  But she still has IJN BB dispersion, has a fantastic reload, and even better, she has 12 guns to make up for the awful Sigma.  Her gunnery is so forgiving that some other IJN BB players call her a crutch teaching bad habits, and fails in preparing new IJN BB users for the move to 410mm gunnery with Nagato in Tier VII.

Mutsu is better protected than Fuso, but neither are exactly good examples of sound Citadel protection in the game.  Mutsu is so squishy that you shouldn't be surprised you go from Full HP to 1/4 HP from a single BB AP salvo against you if they saw your sides.

Speed is similar between Fuso and Mutsu.

However, the one advantage Mutsu has that Fuso completely lacks in, is in detection range.  With a Stealth Build, Fuso is still one of the worst concealment BBs in the game.

Stealth Builds:

VI New Mexico 13.79km

VI Bayern 12.1km

VI Mutsu 14.77km... Mediocre a.f. but it's heaven compared to...

VI Fuso 16.5km

X Yamato 14.14km... Yes folks, Yamato is stealthier than Fuso.

Fuso almost can't drop off the minimap to save her life.  She's spotted very early and practically the whole game.  This can be a problem if you need to disengage to save the ship.  Mutsu isn't a ninja, but with 14.77km detection, breaking contact is much more reasonable for her.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,975 posts
7,002 battles

Mutsu is about 1.5 knots faster than Fuso, depending upon the hull & propulsion and signal flags in use.

I didn't realize Yamato was more concealable than either of them, though.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,933 posts
20,858 battles
5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Mutsu is about 1.5 knots faster than Fuso, depending upon the hull & propulsion and signal flags in use.

I didn't realize Yamato was more concealable than either of them, though.

CSM1 in Slot 5 does amazing things.  Even then, Yamato has better base concealment than Fuso, which I'm quite positive is the worst concealment BB in the game.  Republique, GK, Kremlin, Yamato all have much better base concealment than Fuso by several kilometers.

Even in the Destroyers, access to CSM1 is IMO the single-greatest divider between Tier VII & VIII DDs, and why the VIII DDs have an easier time devouring mid tier ones that don't access it.  Since concealment improvement is % based, Battleships stand a lot to gain from CSM1.

Yamato with CE trait + Camo goes to 15.71km detection.

So taking CSM1 on top of that makes it pretty scary how close a Yamato could be before opening up.

I love Fuso, one of my favorite ships in the game.  But man that concealment means there is no surprising anyone with her, and if you need to break contact, it's all but impossible unless you got islands or something to block LOS.  There are BB Builds out there that don't even use Concealment Expert, and they will still be stealthier than Fuso.

• Cool 1