You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

IFHE, revisited all over again, part deux

14 comments in this topic

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,204 posts
14,956 battles

Ok, the main reason I bring this up is a brought my Blyska out for some reason today and it really seemed weak. After looking at my build I realized I didn't have BFT for faster reload, but still felt very weak. Would IFHE benefit this ship against dd's and cruisers with it's 120mm guns? 

I remember this ship being strong. I know, or at least think I know it may not help much against BB's... just curious.ty.

[CUTE]
Members
2,301 posts
10,052 battles

Yes! Most higher tier cruisers and equal/lower tier battleships have 25mm plating. IFHE increases your HE penetration from enough to beat 19mm plating to enough to contest 25mm plating. It is 100% worth it.

Edited by Gavroche_
  • Cool 1

[KNTI2]
Members
884 posts
5,831 battles

IFHE is a must have for every DD IMO.

Blys got power crept really hard because she used to rely on open water stealth firing, which no longer exists, and is outspotted by several gunboats (like Haida), taking away her other major niche as one of the more stealthy non IJN DDs.

But get IFHE for sure. It'll allow you to pen more on BB/CA/CLs, versus super only, and it feels more reliable overall.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
2,426 posts
11,224 battles

I use mine more to farm fire damage for arsonist and witherer flags.  I seem to do more average damage with the below build that IFHE.

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PWSD501&modules=11111&upgrades=143300&commander=PCW001&skills=2152906755&ar=100&consumables=111&lang=en

• Cool 2

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
266 posts
9,914 battles
2 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

IFHE is a must have for every DD IMO.

Blys got power crept really hard because she used to rely on open water stealth firing, which no longer exists, and is outspotted by several gunboats (like Haida), taking away her other major niche as one of the more stealthy non IJN DDs.

But get IFHE for sure. It'll allow you to pen more on BB/CA/CLs, versus super only, and it feels more reliable overall.

I would not say it's a "must have". It is a nice skill for mid-tier dds to get past 25mm threshold, but 4 points is kind of costly. It competes with skills like survivability expert, BFT, SI, even RPF. I never take IFHE for dds except for Akizuki - Kitakaze because I find other skills are more useful.

• Cool 2

[HYDRO]
Members
2,780 posts
4,565 battles

I would have to agree with @Destroyer_KuroshioKai on Blyska's build. After a while playing DDs most of the time  you tend to go for superstructure instinctively, so to me the added HE pen is a bit of a moot point. Besides, I always felt she was more of a firebug with that juicy fire chance. Then have to consider how many 3 point Commander skills can benefit Blyskawica.

Obviously all this is subjective; if you feel you face constantly ships needing the extra HE pen, then IFHE is a solid choice.

Edited by warheart1992

[WGA]
Administrator
1,280 posts
626 battles

Hey Captains,

When I play the Blys, I rely more on starting fires than the raw damage of IFHE. We all will play ships differently but I have found the Blys to be a pretty reliable fire starter. 

There are very few "must have" skills on ships. Please do make sure you take "Last Stand" =).

Personally I would go for Demo Expert and leverage setting fires but other players might have different ideas. You just need to play it and find out which way works better for you.

[SUCIT]
Members
310 posts
11,615 battles
4 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

Ok, the main reason I bring this up is a brought my Blyska out for some reason today and it really seemed weak. After looking at my build I realized I didn't have BFT for faster reload, but still felt very weak. Would IFHE benefit this ship against dd's and cruisers with it's 120mm guns? 

I remember this ship being strong. I know, or at least think I know it may not help much against BB's... just curious.ty.

If Blys has 120mm guns then her HE pen is 20mm. So getting IFHE will allow you to break the 25mm threshold. This will only benefit you against lower tier or same tier battleships. As a tier 7 DD, you can face higher tiers as much as you do lower tiers. So it will be a situational skill that MM will decide if your IFHE will be of any use. However it will also allow you to pen cruisers of tier 8 that have 25mm armor (USN CLs) which may radar you in return.

I personally would not get IFHE because it only allows you to pen lower tier-same tier BBs or USN CLs. I would take other skills instead such as super intendant, basic firing training, demolition expert, or even vigilance, maybe expert marksman, or even radio location. All that after the basic DD skills such as Last stand and concealment expert. IFHE just is too situational to make much use of it. Maybe if you were a tier 5 DD that can face t7 ships at highest, but even then, you have German BBs, and upcoming RU BBs not to mention Kongo/Fuso. IFHE against BBs only really help a lot against the poorly armored slow USN BBs that also get overmatched by almost all BBs. And cruisers are fast hard to hit and some have 27mm, and some of them contain radar, and the lower tier ones can most likely be penned without IFHE.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,106 posts
4,527 battles
4 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

it wont make the ship good, but itll make it better

[WORX]
Members
3,244 posts
14,670 battles

Do this,

On the Blys, shot/aim for the super structure of red ships (without IFHE)..  On the summery battle results, see how many non pens to pens you have.

IF you have over %70 of your shell total are non-pens and over pens then add IFHE.

The only DDs I know for sure benefit from IFHE, IJN DDs fom AKizuki onward. In IJN DDs case, its a need not a choice.

[LHG]
Members
1,484 posts
5,939 battles

I'd only consider IFHE on DDs that are mainly going to be shooting at things that aren't other destroyers. Which excludes most destroyers.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,104 posts
8,592 battles

Just another data point for ya,  I know Mejash recommends IFHE on the Jutland/Daring (113 mm) but not the other RN DDs,

including the Cossack @120 mm.

Video ... 9:17 min ... 

Edited by DocWalker

[HEROS]
Members
1,567 posts
13,460 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Do this,

On the Blys, shot/aim for the super structure of red ships (without IFHE)..  On the summery battle results, see how many non pens to pens you have.

IF you have over %70 of your shell total are non-pens and over pens then add IFHE.

The only DDs I know for sure benefit from IFHE, IJN DDs fom AKizuki onward. In IJN DDs case, its a need not a choice.

Ever since the HE pen buff to IJN 100mm guns it's no longer absolutely essential there as they now have a raw 25mm HE pen stock..  You can do just fine without it as at close range those 100 MM guns are rather nasty and what your HE won't pen the AP will but you'll not be setting fires with it.    If I get to spend about 1 minute of uninterrupted fire on a BB or Cruiser, I like to let the CV if any know that there's a ship who's been stripped of most likely most if not all AA other then fully turreted AAA.   Surface module damage to another DD's can render them ineffective and it's HE it doesn't have to pen to cause damage.  If you do pen you will consistently cause more damage, but the damage will be under the skin..  Torp, Gun, AA and AAA mounts are less likely to be disabled but you will take bigger chunks of HP.   To damage module the modules have to be within a certain radius of where a shell surface detonates, or strikes when is the case with fully enclosed mounts and secondary turrets/barbettes/sponsons.

[QNP]
Members
3 posts
2,639 battles
47 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Ever since the HE pen buff to IJN 100mm guns it's no longer absolutely essential there as they now have a raw 25mm HE pen stock.. 

The IJN 100mm guns actually have 24mm HE pen stock