You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KurganSPK

Alaska - buy with free XP or wait for another ship in pipeline?

57 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles

Enjoy cruiser play, and am intrigued by Iowa/DM hybrid potential - been away a while and thought I'd ask what other t9 prems are in the pipeline before I spend all that free xp. Thanks for any info. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,317 posts
6,746 battles

Azuma (Japan's answer to Alaska) is available right now for FXP, but reviews are mixed. Plenty of ships announced at T9 but with no indication yet as to what currency they will be. Keep sitting on your hands and watching all news that comes out.

[SIM]
Members
3,453 posts
5,314 battles

Alaska has been pretty well received by the community, and is a solid ship overall. Meanwhile, Azuma (the newest FXP ship) is mediocre at best. Both are new-ish (Azuma came out last month), and no other free XP ships have been confirmed at this time.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Alaska has been pretty well received by the community, and is a solid ship overall. Meanwhile, Azuma (the newest FXP ship) is mediocre at best. Both are new-ish (Azuma came out last month), and no other free XP ships have been confirmed at this time.

yeah thanks - seen a lot of test ships out there that look interesting but guess nothing's been announced about how they will be made available. 

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,236 posts
2,980 battles

For tier 9 specifically, the USS Georgia is comming soon. However it has been confirmed by WG to be coal and not free xp. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
9 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

For tier 9 specifically, the USS Georgia is comming soon. However it has been confirmed by WG to be coal and not free xp. 

thanks - already have Mo so probably wouldn't be into Georgia. 

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,642 posts
19 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

Other than both being BBs, those two ships couldn't be more different.

What is your goal?

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,763 posts
8,748 battles

other than Azuma, theres no new FXP ships that we know of, Georgia and Yoshino have been confirmed for Coal, and i dont think any of the new T10 premiums will be FXP, the Somers, the Smolenks(however its spelled), or the Colbert, but maybe the T9 Benham might, but its just started testing iirc, so plenty of time to work up the FXP to get it if its for FXP

Edited by tcbaker777

[O7]
Members
1,008 posts
14,165 battles

Alaska is entirely worth it even for those that aren't sitting on millions of FreeXP

[-VT3-]
Members
1,835 posts
3,584 battles

I think Alaska is the best FXP ship released thus far.

Barring the hilarity of Nelson.

[CNK]
[CNK]
Members
280 posts
11,394 battles

The Alaska fills that tier 9 gap in the USN line. I out-damage the Seattle and Buffalo by almost 100% with the Alaska.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,807 posts
21,054 battles
13 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

I think Alaska is the best FXP ship released thus far.

Nope, that was the Missouri.

A good techtree ship with a insane credit multiplier, hard to beat that.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
37 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Other than both being BBs, those two ships couldn't be more different.

What is your goal?

been playing a ton of BBs lately so looking to change that up ... don't know much about Georgia. only seen one in game so far. 

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,642 posts
6 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

been playing a ton of BBs lately so looking to change that up ... don't know much about Georgia. only seen one in game so far. 

Georgia has large guns, but few of them.  It is also a secondary beast, much like the Mass. 

If you are bored of BBs, the AK is a good choice in cruisers.  Although it is almost a BB itself.  Large guns, large health pool, slow compared to other cruisers.

Google the name of a ship with "review" and there will be tons of videos to show and explain the various FXP ships.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Georgia has large guns, but few of them.  It is also a secondary beast, much like the Mass. 

If you are bored of BBs, the AK is a good choice in cruisers.  Although it is almost a BB itself.  Large guns, large health pool, slow compared to other cruisers.

Google the name of a ship with "review" and there will be tons of videos to show and explain the various FXP ships.

yeah I watched a few Alaska reviews, I'm leaning hard to getting her. thx

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,642 posts
Just now, KurganSPK said:

yeah I watched a few Alaska reviews, I'm leaning hard to getting her. thx

No problem.  Enjoy!

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
18 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I have a GK - so large guns and secondary beast... check and check ;-)

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1 hour ago, KurganSPK said:

Georgia has twin 18" turrets on an Iowa hull, and I'm hearing the secondaries are more like Massachusetts than Alabama.

[WOLFB]
Members
555 posts
2 hours ago, KurganSPK said:

Enjoy cruiser play, and am intrigued by Iowa/DM hybrid potential - been away a while and thought I'd ask what other t9 prems are in the pipeline before I spend all that free xp. Thanks for any info. 

I very much enjoy the Alaska. I'm running a bit over server average in WR, but well over in XP and damage. I play her very much like I would the Des Moines in most cases. I haven't quite gotten a kraken yet, but I've come very close twice. She's like a Des Moines on steroids.

Example -

We had a cap on the east side of the map that was heavily contested. Both sides were bogged down. Each had lost a DD in the early melee. Each had two CAs at the edge of the cap that were hiding behind rocks trying not to get killed. Each had a BB behind for support. There were  planes somewhere, so no one wanted to push out of their AA bubble. I had to sail from the center of the map to get into the fray. I went right past the our CAs and charged into the cap. They followed. The enemy ships completely lost their nerve. A Frenchman tried to torp me....hydro. A Hindy tried to back away behind an island - radar and a Worcester behind me started the BBQ. The Frenchman tried to flee - 14 inch guns at 8km. The Hindy managed to get into a spot where it was just me and him, and even Battleship Hindenburg didn't stand a chance. 

I've even done in Iowa's at medium range, and there's a GK out there someplace that's probably still cursing me.

The one thing you fear is fire. Take every fire prevention thingy you can find. The fires last F O R   E V E R!

Shall I wrap that for you, or will you be sailing it off the showroom floor?

(Full disclosure - this was the best game I had in it (but it's not untypical of many).)

71711692_Alaska181k28APR192241.thumb.JPG.35156e4054fe3ea02e38d0bb5031bd0a.JPG

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
8,770 battles
16 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

I very much enjoy the Alaska. I'm running a bit over server average in WR, but well over in XP and damage. I play her very much like I would the Des Moines in most cases. I haven't quite gotten a kraken yet, but I've come very close twice. She's like a Des Moines on steroids.

Example -

We had a cap on the east side of the map that was heavily contested. Both sides were bogged down. Each had lost a DD in the early melee. Each had two CAs at the edge of the cap that were hiding behind rocks trying not to get killed. Each had a BB behind for support. There were  planes somewhere, so no one wanted to push out of their AA bubble. I had to sail from the center of the map to get into the fray. I went right past the our CAs and charged into the cap. They followed. The enemy ships completely lost their nerve. A Frenchman tried to torp me....hydro. A Hindy tried to back away behind an island - radar and a Worcester behind me started the BBQ. The Frenchman tried to flee - 14 inch guns at 8km. The Hindy managed to get into a spot where it was just me and him, and even Battleship Hindenburg didn't stand a chance. 

I've even done in Iowa's at medium range, and there's a GK out there someplace that's probably still cursing me.

The one thing you fear is fire. Take every fire prevention thingy you can find. The fires last F O R   E V E R!

Shall I wrap that for you, or will you be sailing it off the showroom floor?

(Full disclosure - this was the best game I had in it (but it's not untypical of many).)

71711692_Alaska181k28APR192241.thumb.JPG.35156e4054fe3ea02e38d0bb5031bd0a.JPG

toss in some floor mats and you got a deal!

[A_51]
Members
797 posts
18,059 battles

I've been on the fence with the Alaska since it first came out.  But with a little over 2 million in free experience stockpiled and, apparently, nothing else interesting in the pipeline, I guess I'll pull the trigger.

• Cool 2

[LEGIT]
Members
1,681 posts
24,541 battles

I'm glad I got Alaska.  I'm still learning to play her though.  I started out trying to use her from range, kiting and flanking.  It's got great rifles, nice and accurate with a good fire chance.  Then one game I found myself within 8 - 12 km of some BB's.  I was surprised how well Alaska does brawling with the BB's up close.  As long as you aren't smashed broadside by someone else, it's a real eye opener for a BB to take hits from Alaska AP.  

[WGA]
Administrator
1,194 posts
483 battles
55 minutes ago, Seaneroo said:

I've been on the fence with the Alaska since it first came out.  But with a little over 2 million in free experience stockpiled and, apparently, nothing else interesting in the pipeline, I guess I'll pull the trigger.

I'm still a little timid playing up in Tier IX but the matches I've tried in the Alaska have been a lot of fun.  I personally think she's really worthwhile but try it out and let us know how you feel about it.

[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,863 battles
4 hours ago, KurganSPK said:

It's a great ship. You can carry in it, wreck stuff, make a little cash even in coop, and have lots of fun in close-in engagements. If I have any criticisms, its the unreliable AA. Even running a manual AA captain CVs waft right through her AA. 

But overall, I have a ton of fun whenever I play it. Playing it a lot in coop to grind tokens for Lazo.