You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

Opinion: 90% of a player's performance is explained by positioning of the ship

7 comments in this topic

[DOW]
Members
639 posts
3,820 battles

Fellow battleship players: Recently I installed Matchmaking Monitor and starting shadowing the strongest (highest xp/match or pr/match) (non-CV) player in my team. It surprised me how much better rated I've become according to WoWS Numbers. I also divisioned up with a good friend for an evening, who is arguably weaker in some areas. I shadowed/followed him in those matches, and my stats dropped in those games and converged to his.

A few fundamentals could potentially explain a player's excessive individual performance (over the ship's average). Besides positioning of the ship (location, angle, and speed), aiming, configuration (captain skills, modules, etc), tactical choice (choices of target, AP vs HE, etc), and even quick commands you spam out in the channel are among those. However, I believe positioning of the ship to be of overwhelming significance, and everything else explains no more than 10% of the performance. Therefore, you could try to improve your game by shadowing the strongest player in your team and learn from their positioning of the ship.

There will of course be differing opinions on this matter and I respect that.

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Members
393 posts
11,907 battles

Had a very similar discussion with @MEANN earlier today. Here is his thread: 

When one of my clan members asks for tips to improve, I always start with basic marksmanship and then positioning. Knowing how to read a map, understand the differences in friendly and enemy ship compositions and finding a good positional approach is HUGE! Hiding behind an island may feel safe, but you are aren't doing anything to sway the match and are simply losing slowly.

Good luck.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles

I would break down your 90 to 70% position, 20% reacting to the changing battle, and 10% team performance - some times you get a team that is bound and determined to lose no matter what and other times you get a team that just will not quit.

• Cool 1

[DOW]
Members
639 posts
3,820 battles
17 minutes ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

Had a very similar discussion with @MEANN earlier today. Here is his thread: 

When one of my clan members asks for tips to improve, I always start with basic marksmanship and then positioning. Knowing how to read a map, understand the differences in friendly and enemy ship compositions and finding a good positional approach is HUGE! Hiding behind an island may feel safe, but you are aren't doing anything to sway the match and are simply losing slowly.

Good luck.

I learned a lot from some of the strong players by shadowing them. They position in a way to isolate a few enemy ships and focus them down with the team (Lanchester's square law), and they almost always make the right decision in a complex situation, such as facing enemy HE spammers or aggressive DDs. Their timing to contest caps is also educative. Never too early, never too late.

[SYJ]
Members
157 posts
8,772 battles

Has anyone ever heard a saying: " Information Is Ammunition " ?
Granted information it self is not ordnance on target, but knowing how to take advantage of that "info" will help you to get ordnance on target.

Here is another "high level" concept: "OODA Loop", as in Observe, Orient, Decide, Act.
Basically how quickly are you capable of assessing a changing situation, taking timely and effective action.

Also instead of "target fixating" it helps to take a look at the mini-map and other ships between salvos.
Sadly too many "players" are too target fixated to realize they are giving broad side to half the enemy team, or sailing in a predicable path for torpedoes.

Not getting sunk in 1st 10 minutes greatly increases your teams chances of wining, and good positioning can help with that.
Sadly to many think that "YOLO rush" is a viable tactic and if you don't then you are a coward.
... And don't get me started on "Lemming Trains" for 1 or 10 line and then they wounder how the lost.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
676 posts
3,111 battles

I've been saying for years that positioning and situational awareness (aided by knowing how to read the minimap and interpret not only what it is showing but also what it isn't) are what separates the good players from the average ones. Aiming and angling are basic concepts and easy to grasp, but the intricacies of interpreting all the available information and using it to make tactical decisions is considerably more difficult and takes longer to master.

--Helms

[Y0L0]
Members
9,573 posts
11,996 battles

as mentioned,  Biggest thing is to develop situation awareness so that you can see how the match develop and act accordingly.   In many matches, I tend to pick the weaker side to fight since I know I can play fairly well and adjust to the situation.  It also helps to have bote that you can perform well in.      certain botes are just inherently weaker  and have lower ceiling.