You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JimmyNumale

Quick question about Lexingtons rocket planes.

11 comments in this topic

[ANK-G]
Members
53 posts
6,998 battles

I recently bought the Lex and so far it seems decent. 

My question is, is anyone using the rocket plane module that uses the 2 rocket per plane but higher alpha strike dmg or are you ppl using the 8 rocket per plane loadout. I just dont want to waste the XP and money if its no bueno.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,370 posts
10,928 battles

I use the Tiny Tim's, not as good against DD's because of the small amount of rockets but they will raise heck with cruiser and BB superstructures.

[KSD]
Members
55 posts
12,372 battles

Use the Tiny Tims. They’re good when dealing with DDs and amazing when you want to get damage from BBs.

[ANK-G]
Members
53 posts
6,998 battles

ok cool Ill be on the lex for a while and ill give it a whirl. For some reason Ive been getting alot of detonations on DD's with the HVAR's prob just random luck I guess.

Thanks.

[SYN]
Members
15,288 posts
11,987 battles

If you like using CQC hand cannon sniper rifle, Tiny Tim

If you like shotgun, HVAR

[ASHIP]
Members
59 posts
6,399 battles

The Tiny Tims do more damage when they hit, but are harder to use against DDs and some cruisers, the HVARs work on everything and are great for harassing DDs, plus they do a good job of knocking out AA modules on the Bbs.

[SYJ]
Members
156 posts
8,772 battles

TLDR: HVARs are better "General Purpose" while Tiny Tims are better "Special Purpose"

Spoiler

HVARs have higher theoretical and practical damage per attack run then Tiny Tims.
HVAR damage is 24 x 2000 / 3 (Penetration damage is 1/3)  = 16 000 is the max practical, but it is higly unlikely to land all rockets on target.
Typical number of "pens" is around 50% against Cruisers and Battleships* (that are coverd in 32 mm plating).
So you end up with about 7 ~ 10 k damage per attack run on those targets ( as long as they are not "damage saturated", then it is about half that )

Tiny Tims have lower theoretical damage but the penetration (68mm) pattern is much better so if you can aim well it is possible to "plant" all 6 rockets into a Cruisers and Battleships.
Tiny Tims damage is 6 x 5400 / 3 = 10800 is a max practical damage, (even with 68 mm of pen you cant citadel any other ships that you could with HVARs), "BUT" they have a tendency to break engines and light fires on most cruisers with good regularity* ( if aimed correctly, from the front or back, not side )

In other words HVARs are like a fist full of D6s being thrown against the wall, something will roll high enough, while the Tiny Tims are like roiling  D20s, some skill required.

Edited by Sammy_Small

[WOLF3]
Members
19,318 posts
17,665 battles

The HVARs are great in racking up hits and raw rocket damage.  An attack flight can throw up to 24 HVARs max, which is a lot and very forgiving.  But setting fires isn't as good.  The HE Pen is good but not as high as the Tiny Tims.  Against targets with heavy armor decks you have to focus on the superstructure or less armored sections like 32mm armor decks from a number of BBs out there.

The Tiny Tims, per rocket, hit harder. A few Tiny Tims landing hit just as hard as a bunch of HVARs.  They also have a very high Fire Chance and they're pretty reliable setting them.  The next good thing about them is the super high Penetration, 68mm IIRC.  Basically only Armored Carrier Decks and Battleship Main Battery turrets are safe from being penned by them.  Even the thick 50mm decks of German BBs and 57mm-58mm of Tier IX-X IJN BBs can be penned.  The issue I have with them is you get fewer rockets to use against a DD, and the chances for misses goes up a lot compared to 24 HVARs all flying at the DD.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TF_61]
Members
71 posts
2,436 battles

I think it's worth mentioning the spread pattern on each. HVARS spread horizontally while TTs spread vertically. You'll need to adjust your tactics, depending on if you tend to attack side-on (HVARs) or head-on (TT). Personally, I find side on attacks to be more available, but that may just be my game. Pay attention to what angle of attack tends to pop up during your games.

[-WTP-]
Members
1,131 posts
2,140 battles

If you run up the tail end of a DD and he's unwise enough to run straight, you can 1 shot a T10 DD w/ Lex's TTs.  Try and put them through the back of the wheel house and it's lights out.  I've 1 shotted 4 DDs w/ TTs, all in the same exact manner, straight through the back of the wheelhouse.

The odds are about 150:1 of that happening -- the odds of a BB 1 shotting the midway @ 18km is 125:1

Edited by NoSoMo