Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awesomeartichokes

WG: What is the plan wrt Mac players in 2019?

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

151
[G-O-W]
Members
360 posts
12,082 battles

@Gneisenau013 @Radar_X 0.8.2, 0.8.3 are/were completely broken for Mac players. It is frustrating to not be able to play. ( maybe a good enforced break for me)

I am wondering :

  1. what the compensation plan is for Mac players watching their premium time tick away?
  2. how WG tests on Mac before release and what has changed wrt testing on the Macs before releases to reduce such large breaks?
  3. does WG intend to upgrade how they support WoWs Mac players this year?

I personally would love to participate in the PT of future releases - but it is only a good use of my time if WG will respond positively to any filed issues.

As it stands right now, WG is wasting ad spend that reaches Mac users. There are a number of posts from new Mac players being disappointed that WG CS is refusing to assist.

 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
168
[-V1-]
Members
343 posts
6,175 battles

I echo awesomeartichoke's comments and pleas!    It is only fair and right as for far too long the Mac/Apple community of WoWs players have been ignored by WoWs.   Your recent efforts were great and much appreciated by that long-suffering group but this needs to be a priority of WoWs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,281
[WGA]
Administrator
1,170 posts
481 battles

Thanks for asking about this.  Current Macwrapper versions were tested as extensively as possible during our Public Testing phase with many of you giving us a hand to ensure we measured how much of an improvement we saw. 

Have you utilized the Beta version that we've promoted in the Support section?  This seems to be working for a number of other players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
362
[WOLF6]
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
29 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Thanks for asking about this.  Current Macwrapper versions were tested as extensively as possible during our Public Testing phase with many of you giving us a hand to ensure we measured how much of an improvement we saw. 

Have you utilized the Beta version that we've promoted in the Support section?  This seems to be working for a number of other players. 

I have* and it works enough to get me into games.  Before I downloaded that it wouldn’t run at all, but now it’s sitting tight at 8-12 FPS and drops me into games 15-20 seconds after it starts.  I really like the CV rework and was playing those a lot before this update but now they are totally unplayable - it’s glitchy as hell until I hit AA and then I get something like .5 FPS.

*assuming you mean that sketchy AF Russian zip file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[DENY]
Members
135 posts
3,134 battles

I remember as a kid , never to buy a mac if I ever planned on gaming  on it, good for basic stuff. Other than that a PC is better in every way.

Hopefully a good fix is introduced so you can play. 

  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
205
[KAPPA]
Members
711 posts
5,595 battles
1 hour ago, galspanic said:

I have* and it works enough to get me into games.  Before I downloaded that it wouldn’t run at all, but now it’s sitting tight at 8-12 FPS and drops me into games 15-20 seconds after it starts.  I really like the CV rework and was playing those a lot before this update but now they are totally unplayable - it’s glitchy as hell until I hit AA and then I get something like .5 FPS.

*assuming you mean that sketchy AF Russian zip file.

What sort of FPS were you seeing before the patch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[BOATC]
Members
316 posts
8,493 battles
3 hours ago, Radar_X said:

Thanks for asking about this.  Current Macwrapper versions were tested as extensively as possible during our Public Testing phase with many of you giving us a hand to ensure we measured how much of an improvement we saw. 

Have you utilized the Beta version that we've promoted in the Support section?  This seems to be working for a number of other players. 

Does the beta wrapper have any logging we could disable to see if the performance improves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,848
[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles
2 hours ago, Arlensauce93 said:

I remember as a kid , never to buy a mac if I ever planned on gaming  on it, good for basic stuff. Other than that a PC is better in every way.

Hopefully a good fix is introduced so you can play. 

Well adults know that if you have certain professions your far better off usng a MAC over a PC. And yes MAC can handle basic stuff as you said, but can also handle highly advanced tasks that only very few PCs can handle, such as those Z Workstations. But most will still prefer MAC.

The reason PCs are still so often used in gaming is Microsoft started making contracts with gaming companies a few years back to secure their last real market for PCs since Apple was taking over the rest of their markets and other companies were doing better work on building servers. So if you write game code in such a manner that it pretty much only works with Windows of course high powered games will have trouble on MAC if the adapter software is poorly written.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[DENY]
Members
135 posts
3,134 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

 

The reason PCs are still so often used in gaming is Microsoft started making contracts with gaming companies a few years back to secure their last real market for PCs since Apple was taking over the rest of their markets and other companies were doing better work on building servers. So if you write game code in such a manner that it pretty much only works with Windows of course high powered games will have trouble on MAC if the adapter software is poorly written.

Lots of workstations out there, alot is preference.  And yes most game code is written on a PC for a PC which highly dictates why it runs better  it's like how iPhone apps usually run better than the android version.

Apple spends alot of money for content creators to make apps for iphone which get ported over later to other platforms.

Edited by Arlensauce93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,848
[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles
5 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

@Gneisenau013 @Radar_X 0.8.2, 0.8.3 are/were completely broken for Mac players. It is frustrating to not be able to play. ( maybe a good enforced break for me)

I am wondering :

  1. what the compensation plan is for Mac players watching their premium time tick away?
  2. how WG tests on Mac before release and what has changed wrt testing on the Macs before releases to reduce such large breaks?
  3. does WG intend to upgrade how they support WoWs Mac players this year?

I personally would love to participate in the PT of future releases - but it is only a good use of my time if WG will respond positively to any filed issues.

As it stands right now, WG is wasting ad spend that reaches Mac users. There are a number of posts from new Mac players being disappointed that WG CS is refusing to assist.

 

Yeah I am wondering about compensation as well since Wargaming has allowed game bugs to run wild for far too many months until things finally totally failed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,375 posts
7,091 battles

Dual boot and load up Windows on the Mac.  That is the more realistic solution.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,848
[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles
1 minute ago, Arlensauce93 said:

Lots of workstations out there, alot is preference.  And yes most game code is written on a PC for a PC which highly dictates why it runs better  it's like how iPhone apps usually run better than the android version

I have seen games like WOT Blitz that were written for both iOS and Windows to function in same server, and have heard far more reports of the Windows users having issues than the iOS users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[GOB]
Members
298 posts

I game mainly on my custom build PC.  It maxes out anything in the Market and should for years to come.  BUT I am wondering why people do not do what I did for travel.  I build a MB Pro into a dual SSD drive dual boot MAC OSX / WIN 10 64 machine and loaded my games on it and they run GREAT and the MB Pro is a 2012 model.  Apple knew they were going to get killed in many markets thats why they switched to the Intel Chipset so long ago.  They choose not to support many games and that is their choice.  Boot camp has kept them alive .  Bootcamp is easy to do and will eliminate your WG issues.      PS... reading this thread and I see it was inevitible that it would turn into a Mac Vs PC thread.  and NO Mac does nothing that a PC can't do , that argument is from the 80's and 90's. Now that Mac is on the Intel Chipset all that different is the OS.  I own , build and work with Both and have for MANY years.  Macs do not multitask well at all , never did. that's why MS has  75.47 % Marketshare of the Global business Market.    As I said . Dual Boot it with Bootcamp and you are all good.  WG isn't going to spend Millions to fix a problem people can fix themselves in a day.  

Edited by Col_Nasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[DENY]
Members
135 posts
3,134 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I have seen games like WOT Blitz that were written for both iOS and Windows to function in same server, and have heard far more reports of the Windows users having issues than the iOS users.

It's possible and as you said alot of ot comes down to code . There is no doubt this game could run just as good on a mac with the same specs as a PC. And I hope it does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
309
[WOLFB]
Members
518 posts
5 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

@Gneisenau013 @Radar_X 0.8.2, 0.8.3 are/were completely broken for Mac players. It is frustrating to not be able to play. ( maybe a good enforced break for me)

I am wondering :

  1. what the compensation plan is for Mac players watching their premium time tick away?
  2. how WG tests on Mac before release and what has changed wrt testing on the Macs before releases to reduce such large breaks?
  3. does WG intend to upgrade how they support WoWs Mac players this year?

I personally would love to participate in the PT of future releases - but it is only a good use of my time if WG will respond positively to any filed issues.

As it stands right now, WG is wasting ad spend that reaches Mac users. There are a number of posts from new Mac players being disappointed that WG CS is refusing to assist.

 

I actually gave up and use boot camp. For the most part, it's pretty stable. The only problems I see regularly are with the UI in the port. It freezes entirely on occasion. In-game, everything seems to work quite well. I use boot camp for a few things anyway, and just stuck WOWS in the partition because I had the space. It's far from perfect, but it seems to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,848
[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles
1 minute ago, CylonRed said:

Dual boot and load up Windows on the Mac.  That is the more realistic solution.

Yeah doing that this coming week after my SSD arrives to put in my MAC desktop since old one started showing signs of wear and will function better as far as power and tempture. Then I will dual boot Windows on the MAC since I refuse to rely entirely on the “tech”team at Wargaming.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[G-O-W]
Members
360 posts
12,082 battles
4 hours ago, Radar_X said:

Thanks for asking about this.  Current Macwrapper versions were tested as extensively as possible during our Public Testing phase with many of you giving us a hand to ensure we measured how much of an improvement we saw. 

Have you utilized the Beta version that we've promoted in the Support section?  This seems to be working for a number of other players. 

I didn't have a sha256 value to check the download so I wasn't going to run any downloaded/unsigned code.  

I have discovered on occasion that the Aslain modpack was corrupted with malware on download. Because Aslain publishes the sha256 value, I was able to catch that issue and use a different DL server.

Please publish the sha256 value for any code that you are asking players to download on the side. 

Sha256. it's like a condom. Always use one to avoid avoidable "pregnancy". :-)

Edited by awesomeartichokes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
536 posts
5 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

@Gneisenau013 @Radar_X 0.8.2, 0.8.3 are/were completely broken for Mac players. It is frustrating to not be able to play. ( maybe a good enforced break for me)

I am wondering :

  1. what the compensation plan is for Mac players watching their premium time tick away?
  2. how WG tests on Mac before release and what has changed wrt testing on the Macs before releases to reduce such large breaks?
  3. does WG intend to upgrade how they support WoWs Mac players this year?

I personally would love to participate in the PT of future releases - but it is only a good use of my time if WG will respond positively to any filed issues.

As it stands right now, WG is wasting ad spend that reaches Mac users. There are a number of posts from new Mac players being disappointed that WG CS is refusing to assist.

 

I gave up on their ability to deliver a good Mac wrapper that I bought a cheap windows pc to game on. it wasn't worth the hassle not knowing if I would just CTD at random, not see camos in the shipyard port, or lose graphics details, and more.

 I did try bootcamp for a bit but didn't like have windows on my Mac, best of luck guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[DENY]
Members
135 posts
3,134 battles
29 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I game mainly on my custom build PC.  It maxes out anything in the Market and should for years to come.  BUT I am wondering why people do not do what I did for travel.  I build a MB Pro into a dual SSD drive dual boot MAC OSX / WIN 10 64 machine and loaded my games on it and they run GREAT and the MB Pro is a 2012 model.  Apple knew they were going to get killed in many markets thats why they switched to the Intel Chipset so long ago.  They choose not to support many games and that is their choice.  Boot camp has kept them alive .  Bootcamp is easy to do and will eliminate your WG issues.      PS... reading this thread and I see it was inevitible that it would turn into a Mac Vs PC thread.  and NO Mac does nothing that a PC can't do , that argument is from the 80's and 90's. Now that Mac is on the Intel Chipset all that different is the OS.  I own , build and work with Both and have for MANY years.  Macs do not multitask well at all , never did. that's why MS has  75.47 % Marketshare of the Global business Market.    As I said . Dual Boot it with Bootcamp and you are all good.  WG isn't going to spend Millions to fix a problem people can fix themselves in a day.  

Yupp , WG is going to do the easiest most cost effective option , as they should. But today's society expects the minority to have equal everything. Mac's are good, but there are tons of PCs,  like the one you even describe that can do so much more than any mac could ever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[G-O-W]
Members
360 posts
12,082 battles
1 minute ago, fourteenfour said:

I gave up on their ability to deliver a good Mac wrapper that I bought a cheap windows pc to game on. it wasn't worth the hassle not knowing if I would just CTD at random, not see camos in the shipyard port, or lose graphics details, and more.

 I did try bootcamp for a bit but didn't like have windows on my Mac, best of luck guys

I thought about shanghai-ing my wife's computer but decided she would retaliate too well. Often times I like to move around where I play. So a 'cheap' desktop computer just doesn't fit with how I play atm.

I might reconsider that simply because I don't want to load sketch software on my professional computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
362
[WOLF6]
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

What sort of FPS were you seeing before the patch?

55-75 was normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×