You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kami

Kami's Learning the Basics Guide

29 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
1,339 posts
648 battles

Learning the Basics!

Hey Captains,

My goal with this compendium is to create a place where new and veteran players can go to get a better grasp on the basics of the game. This is something that I feel is lost on some players and needs to be refreshed sometimes. I have already started with the Mini-Map guide but I also want to add some other topics. 

These topics will include:

• Ammo types and when to use them.
  • Correct use of armor (angling).
  • General characteristics of ship types (strengths and weaknesses).
  • Nation overviews with highlights.
  • Captain Skills and Consumables.
  • Correct way of using torpedoes.
  • Positioning and early map movements.

Part 1 Mini-Map:

Part 2 Consumables:

Captains, if you have any ideas on what you would like to see in this, please let me know. 

Part 3 Commander Skills:

Part 4 Torpedoes:

Part 5 Tech Trees:

• Cool 6

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

An overview on Plane Types and the Anti-Aircraft Sector System could prove useful for new players going into Tier 3 (when they first encounter planes) and Tier 5 (when they first encounter potent Tier 6 planes).

Edited by WuYixiang
I keep forgetting T4 is protected.

[WGA]
Administrator
1,339 posts
648 battles
10 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

An overview on Plane Types and the Anti-Aircraft Sector System could prove useful for new players going into Tier 3 (when they first encounter planes) and Tier 4 (when they first encounter potent Tier 6 planes).

That is a great suggestion and it has been noted!

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,251 posts
2,980 battles

Penetration mechanics would be neat as well. Even I find myself overwhelmed sometimes, and I've been playing for over a year now. Maybe get the basics like 0 damage pens, fuse timers, basic ship armor and shell interactions and citadels.

You could also go over the combination of signals, upgrades, and captain skills for the purpose of showing people how to get the maximum speed, rudder shift, concealment, minimum fire time, and any other stats they may be trying to increase/decrease to maximize performance.

[-V1-]
Members
348 posts
6,219 battles

When to use fire extinguisher & repair party to best advantage.    When to use RADAR and Hydro-Search to best advantage.    What exactly each Captain Skill provides as some are a bit confusing in their given wording.   

[WGA]
Administrator
1,339 posts
648 battles
41 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

When to use fire extinguisher & repair party to best advantage.    When to use RADAR and Hydro-Search to best advantage.    What exactly each Captain Skill provides as some are a bit confusing in their given wording.   

1 hour ago, _1204_ said:

Penetration mechanics would be neat as well. Even I find myself overwhelmed sometimes, and I've been playing for over a year now. Maybe get the basics like 0 damage pens, fuse timers, basic ship armor and shell interactions and citadels.

You could also go over the combination of signals, upgrades, and captain skills for the purpose of showing people how to get the maximum speed, rudder shift, concealment, minimum fire time, and any other stats they may be trying to increase/decrease to maximize performance.

Awesome responses captains! I will include these where they fit.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,739 posts
8,985 battles

Maybe basic ship formations. I know not always the same mix. However if a DD is generically approaching a cap. Their support ships in positioning. CA/CL's and battleships. Not too far fwd to be focus fired but not back behind spawn either. 

Maybe even basic formations for cross fire.

Again, template mini map spots. Not etched in stone. Every situation is unique.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[WGA]
Administrator
1,339 posts
648 battles
16 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Maybe basic ship formations. I know not always the same mix. However if a DD is generically approaching a cap. Their support ships in positioning. CA/CL's and battleships. Not too far fwd to be focus fired but not back behind spawn either. 

Maybe even basic formations for cross fire.

Again, template mini map spots. Not etched in stone. Every situation is unique.

That is a great idea, it would take a little bit to do each map but I can do a general idea on a map or two to show what I mean. This can be included in the positioning part of the guide.

I am looking to update this section at least once a week. 

If you have anymore ideas on what you think would be helpful to see/learn, please put it here. Any thoughts on what you want to see next?

Supertester
2,171 posts
9,234 battles

Use of concealment, LoS to line up unseen or unexpected attacks and springing nasty surprises on enemies as well as spotting and capping control points.

Basically, concealment and how it works, what changes it, and how to take advantage of it when you can 

• Cool 1

[AP]
Members
1,231 posts
13,191 battles

in the armour and angling section PLEASE stress that battleships need to create distance to crossfire enemy, so people stop thinking stacking all 5 battleships of the same team in the same minimap grid is "teamwork"

Edited by jason199506
  • Cool 1

[ICBM]
Beta Testers
38 posts
6,070 battles

The Intuitive player. Tips for when certain exceptions should occur, and what certain actions may mean.

In particular

*If you have a long reload and your using the wrong ammo at the moment, fire your guns then swap ammo types

*Assume that enemies around that corner are looking at you unless you have proof. 

*Let your enemies make mistakes. Let them commit to bad decisions like rushing ahead of their team alone or turning around in front of numerous ships.

Also for the overview of ship lines it may be beneficial to classify the ships with a common  role such as brawler, skirmisher, fire support, opportunists, and tank.

Example: Bismarck is a tank, brawler. It generally prefers to get close where it's guns can exploit their traverse speed and the armor layout prevents many shots from dealing Maximum if any damage

Example 2:Benson is a skirmisher opportunist. It generally tries to control a fight using stealth and concealment but particularly tries to punish oblivious foes with cheeky torps and sudden bursts of gunfire

[WOLFG]
Members
4,505 posts
2,510 battles
10 hours ago, HottieHotPants said:

Where do I find your torpedo tutorial? I seriously suck at giving torpedo, but I can absorb them like a sponge. 

Kami hasn't done one yet.

[WGA]
Administrator
1,339 posts
648 battles
4 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Kami hasn't done one yet.

I will be doing torpedoes and captain skills next week :). We are at the New Jersey this weekend for Anchors Away! 

• Cool 2

Members
8 posts
291 battles
4 hours ago, Kami said:

I will be doing torpedoes and captain skills next week :). We are at the New Jersey this weekend for Anchors Away! 

Thanx, and jealous 

Members
24 posts
6,123 battles

Way too many torps in this game and the BB are sitting ducks from the the DD's you can't see to the torpedo Planes that always are able to drop  their torps.....even though BB's had tremendous AA defenses.... I'm not sure why I play this game that makes BB's meat chaff in the seas

• Boring 2

[FML]
Members
2,481 posts
11,932 battles
On 5/2/2019 at 11:37 PM, Kami said:

General characteristics of ship types (strengths and weaknesses).

Thank you for starting the long and thankless task of writing new player guides on various subjects - all well-considered attempts are most welcome, particularly when they can garner attention from a WG admin's red stripe!

Given you foreshadowed a thread on 'General characteristics of ship types (strengths and weaknesses),' might I humbly suggest you consider my Quick Reference Guide as a basis and/or as a link to underpin your work?  It outlines what to do when you are in a broad category of ship (eg, torpedo DD, gunboat DD etc), and how to counter that type of ship.  It is aimed more at new players moving to intermediate, rather than brand new players, but it is still flexible enough for all players.  

Furthermore, I would be grateful for any suggestions you have to improve my Quick Reference Guide!

[WGA]
Administrator
1,339 posts
648 battles

Hey everyone,

Sorry I have not posted any helpful guides this week, I will post at least one new one next week!

We will cover nation overview and highlights. If I have time I will also cover positioning and early map movements.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,739 posts
8,985 battles
23 hours ago, Kami said:

Hey everyone,

Sorry I have not posted any helpful guides this week, I will post at least one new one next week!

We will cover nation overview and highlights. If I have time I will also cover positioning and early map movements.

No worries, holiday weekend too. Wish you and the rest of the captains have a good Memorial Day.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,523 posts
9,251 battles
On 5/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, Kami said:

Hey everyone,

And then, after that, "How to Counter play a CV" guide???

Members
8 posts
35 battles

I am a relatively inexperienced player. I am thinking I should maybe start focusing on a National line of ships. I am an American woman of Japanese descent but am not really concerned about playing those countries. I really have not played many games to determine a play style or ability. Just thought there may be a nation that is easier for players that are not really game players and have almost no idea of what each class is best at. 

Thank you again sorry for taking your time. 

Maggs (wrongtrack58)

[WGA]
Administrator
1,339 posts
648 battles
16 hours ago, Wrongtrack58 said:

I am a relatively inexperienced player. I am thinking I should maybe start focusing on a National line of ships. I am an American woman of Japanese descent but am not really concerned about playing those countries. I really have not played many games to determine a play style or ability. Just thought there may be a nation that is easier for players that are not really game players and have almost no idea of what each class is best at. 

Thank you again sorry for taking your time. 

Maggs (wrongtrack58)

Hey Wrongtrack58,

Honestly, you are free to play/try any line you want in the game =). Part 5 of my guide highlights nation overviews and some stand out ships of those nations. As a new player I would recommend you trying multiple lines and ship types before you decide on what line(s) you want to focus on. I would caution you though, as you move up lines ships/modules tend to get more expensive and you might find yourself spread thin on credits. 

If I had to choose two lines to start with, I would still recommend the USN BBs and IJN cruisers. These are two of the oldest lines in the game but they they do a great job in teaching the basics =). 

Feel free to ask more specific questions if they come up and the community will be glad to help you!