Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tigerkiller1000

Suggested Rocket plane changes and Midway changes

8 comments in this topic

[IPHXS]
Alpha Tester
25 posts
3,009 battles

After taking my time looking at how the CV rework has panned out through my own experiences, I've noted several things and thought up some changes that I believe will help out game-play against CVs without nerfing them in the sea bed. First thing i noted was that the Carrier serves as the Great Equalizer, smashing pre-existing class imbalances into oblivion. Granted this comes at the cost of having each team having a very strong ship. Second, The Great Equalizer doesn't fairly affect all ship types, DDs suffer the worst. However this also doesn't affect all tiers the same. DDs at tier 6 suffer more from rocket attacks than bombs, and DDs at high tiers suffer from bombs more than rockets. So I thought up several changes that should be able to fix most of the DD suffering while not obliterating the CV game-play either. 

1. Reduce the flight speed of the rockets fired from the strike aircraft by 25%-50%. I personally think that the strike aircraft should be quick attacks to damage to targets in high AA and to smack around other vessels that are not well armored. They also are effective scouts but not the best for every nation. This job title doesn't need the rockets to be insta-damage. Requiring more lead on a target will allow targeted vessels to have better chances of dodging an attack while also allowing the strike aircraft to retain their spotting and speedy attacks. It also allows for the reduction of the set-up time for the rocket aircraft for a little bit better easy of use.

These next two changes are in specific relation to the Midway, as Midway is the DD murdering psychopath of the high tiers.

1. Reduce bomb damage from 11200 to 9200 or 10000. Midways bombs do a LOT of damage, nerfing the damage down to Lexington's level or just reducing the damage to 10k should increase the chances of survival against the HE bombs from Midway. Another possible change that could be placed in would be decreasing fall speed of the bombs, but I dont think this would have much effect for DDs because Midway players like to drop their bombs at the last second on DDs which is so low that it wouldn't make much difference.

2. Change the Torpedo Bombers from their 3x3 (3 attack runs of 3 planes each) to a 4x2 (4 attack runs of 2 planes each) and increase the torpedo damage from 4233 to 6467(Lexington torp damage) or to 5350 (middle ground damage) Part of the reason why Midway players stick to DBs or strike aircraft is becasue their TBs suck. Incredibly wide spread, with very slow torps, and low single torp damage makes them effectively worse than Lexington's TBs. With Midway you are lucky if more than 4 torps hit a maneuvering target while you could hit all 3 with Lexington, causing more damage. By changing the TBs damage, but also reducing the amount of torps dropped in a single run the TBs are an actual upgrade but also not game-breaking. And with actually usable TBs players wont be targeting DDs as much as its easier to hit CAs and BBs with TBs.

So am I crazy? Stupid? Or do i have a good idea here, even if it is just a starting point?

[PQUOD]
Members
1,689 posts
8,865 battles

Personally, the only change to the Midway I'd like to see would be faster service time of the planes. 

[PRAVD]
Members
64 posts
1,543 battles

Valid points. As a CV main myself, it’s obvious the bombs on cvs need reworking. By this, I mean that AP bombs should be doing more than HE bombs... Midway doing 20k on lucky strikes is not balance. While it is extremely fun, can’t really lie and say it’s fair. But. Here’s my dilemma. The midway HE bomb nerf is inevitable, but they definitely need to buff a different aspect to make up for this. The torpedos are extremely situational on the midway, being useless against any cruiser with common sense. Would be a nice starting point. (You are forced to aim so far ahead that unless they move in a completely straight line your chances of hitting them are nothing). Anyways. I feel it should be more evened out, and not just FULLY reliant on dive bombers while the torps often do 1.5k to 2k each on BBs. The rocket planes are pretty aight. 

Many people have said similar things and many people have disagreed. I shall now go back to my policy on not clicking on anything cv related...no reason to fuel the fire. I’m so sick of seeing the forums flooded with cv content that has already been said and said again. I just wish we could have more relative topics than this stale and old stuff about cvs ruining the meta or cvs being cool. 

[A_C_F]
Members
196 posts
3,193 battles

BB's, DD's can do a 20k hit with main gun or torpedo's and possibly do a dev strike on any ship.  Cruisers can do it also but only certain circumstances. No one complains about it.

Suddenly a CV's is able to and its time to hit them with the nerf bat.

The Midway's most reliable aircraft is the DB and you want to nerf that.  It can do a 20k hit but that's rare and requires some RNG luck.  11-14k are more common.  Tiny Tims are great but can be shot down rather fast because they have the lowest health.

I wish we can bring back the old CV's with their original alpha damage.  Only for a short time so that we can REMIND EVERYONE of what they used to be capable of doing.

Edited by HeadSplit120

Members
1,376 posts
8,793 battles
11 minutes ago, HeadSplit120 said:

BB's, DD's can do a 20k hit with main gun or torpedo's and possibly do a dev strike on any ship.  Cruisers can do it also but only certain circumstances. No one complains about it.

Suddenly a CV's is able to and its time to hit them with the nerf bat.

Give a BB or DD the ability to detach their turrets or torpedo tubes from their hull and send them racing across the map at 180 knots to spot targets and attack them independently with zero risk to the controlling ship and I guarantee people will want that nerfed too.

14 minutes ago, HeadSplit120 said:

I wish we can bring back the old CV's with their original alpha damage.  Only for a short time so that we can REMIND EVERYONE of what they used to be capable of doing.

Don't worry, plenty of us remember.  It was fundamentally game-breaking and not fun to play against.

The current implementation of CV's is also fundamentally game-breaking and not fun to play against, because the game-breaking part was never the alpha damage.  It's the gigantic advantage in mobility, spotting, initiative and survivability that comes from being able to engage enemies anywhere on the map without risking return fire.

• Cool 1

[RAN]
Members
43 posts
12,112 battles

The Midway is the carrier I fear most. With a skilled commander they seem to have a far greater impact on the game that the other 2 carriers.

[SIM]
Members
3,424 posts
5,268 battles

Rocket Planes are already marginal against DDs in a lot of situations, able to score only a couple of hits per salvo at best on a DD that actually maneuvers and attempts to dodge them. Nerfing them more, after the nerf that they've already taken? No. Not unless you want to crank up the individual damage of each rocket (which I think would be a bad idea).

[FOXEH]
Members
1,436 posts
5,772 battles

I would consider a change to the rocket planes to permanently knock out aa and secondary guns and less damage to hull so T8 carriers can attack T9 and T10 ships without being totally destroyed.  

Sign in to follow this