Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

43 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

52
[COOLI]
Members
76 posts
6,775 battles

So straight up this is NOT a serious post. Its part alcohol-infused day dream, part national pride, and pure silliness. But here's my big idea: What if we put another Yorktown-class carrier in the game, named her Hornet, and slapped some B-25s on her AND NOTHING ELSE. Well how does that work you ask? EASY! 1-3 planes per wave, insane health, slow, "one way" attack waves. payload: british carpet bombing pattern but with American HE bombs, yeah the big ones. Like, if you hit a bismarck you'd take half his health. WHY?!? cuz. drugs are a hell of a drugs.715db9c2340ff8bc32fae8d59b15c2ac.thumb.jpg.62ad58227abc324e8f9cc46bf382ef65.jpghorn03.JPG.69a0e63844f7cbc6e397b3f55b8846bf.JPG

  • Cool 6
  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,522 posts
4,264 battles

Considering most alpha strike packages are one-way trips for CV players anyway, I'd be totally onboard with a slower recharge rate for some good strike damage....

26 minutes ago, dawggunner said:

drugs are a hell of a drugs.

That they are

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,482
[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,226 battles

Actually back in alpha we floated this idea for a premium ship or an April fools day event involving the above mentioned.:fish_book: Wg said it wouldn't work with the then mechanics but now.......

 

also

fun fact: the B-25 Mitchel bomber could also sport torpedoes instead of bombs!:Smile_playing: they were even used during the battle of Midway!

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[COOLI]
Members
76 posts
6,775 battles
1 minute ago, BladedPheonix said:

Actually back in alpha we floated this idea for a premium ship or an April fools day event.:fish_book: Wg said it wouldn't work with the then mechanics but now.......

TOO AWESOME! just the fact that someone at WG actually ran with this idea is amazing!!!

 

2 minutes ago, BladedPheonix said:

fun fact: the B-25 Mitchel bomber could also sport torpedoes instead of bombs!:Smile_playing: they were even used during the battle of Midway!

okay......so two types of squadrons?!? lol, like torp pattern similar to Enterprise...but only the one wave lol! 

honestly though id be happy with just HE :) but that is so cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
758
[VW]
Members
2,623 posts
14,680 battles
33 minutes ago, dawggunner said:

So straight up this is NOT a serious post. Its part alcohol-infused day dream, part national pride, and pure silliness. But here's my big idea: What if we put another Yorktown-class carrier in the game, named her Hornet, and slapped some B-25s on her AND NOTHING ELSE. Well how does that work you ask? EASY! 1-3 planes per wave, insane health, slow, "one way" attack waves. payload: british carpet bombing pattern but with American HE bombs, yeah the big ones. Like, if you hit a bismarck you'd take half his health. WHY?!? cuz. drugs are a hell of a drugs.715db9c2340ff8bc32fae8d59b15c2ac.thumb.jpg.62ad58227abc324e8f9cc46bf382ef65.jpghorn03.JPG.69a0e63844f7cbc6e397b3f55b8846bf.JPG

I’m Rick James B@tch.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,482
[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,226 battles
Just now, dawggunner said:

TOO AWESOME! just the fact that someone at WG actually ran with this idea is amazing!!!

 

okay......so two types of squadrons?!? lol, like torp pattern similar to Enterprise...but only the one wave lol! 

honestly though id be happy with just HE :) but that is so cool!

technically 3, the B-25 during late war had rockets as well.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_B-25_Mitchell

 

check paragrah 4 under "uses as a gunship" :fish_book:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[COOLI]
Members
76 posts
6,775 battles
2 minutes ago, BladedPheonix said:

technically 3, the B-25 during late war had rockets as well.

ya know i knew about the gunships and their massive and various ordinance packages. somehow i always revered them separately from the Doolittle Raiders. The Mitchell though has to be my favorite medium bomber of the entire conflict specifically for that fact. it could, and did, damn near anything that was asked of it. PBJs would just be EVIL for DD players hahaha

In terms of ingame loadout i would like to see a Doolittle carpet bomber only loadout. Simply for posterity and not to be OP. BUT i would love to wreck a T10 team with waves of high health B-25s dropping a fuckload of ordinance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,482
[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,226 battles
2 minutes ago, dawggunner said:

ya know i knew about the gunships and their massive and various ordinance packages. somehow i always revered them separately from the Doolittle Raiders. The Mitchell though has to be my favorite medium bomber of the entire conflict specifically for that fact. it could, and did, damn near anything that was asked of it. PBJs would just be EVIL for DD players hahaha

In terms of ingame loadout i would like to see a Doolittle carpet bomber only loadout. Simply for posterity and not to be OP. BUT i would love to wreck a T10 team with waves of high health B-25s dropping a fuckload of ordinance.

if we did have a "doolittle" version it would probably mimic the current UK CVs attack aircraft.  :fish_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[COOLI]
Members
76 posts
6,775 battles
5 minutes ago, BladedPheonix said:

if we did have a "doolittle" version it would probably mimic the current UK CVs attack aircraft.  :fish_book:

But with Big [edited]american HE bombs :) each was armed with 3 500lb bombs and a bundle of incendiaries. so 3-9 large HE bombs in a drop. with super high fire chance? 3 in a squadron, 9 in a drop? that could hurt. but maybe a good sized circle so its pointless to go after DDs. 

AGAIN i dont expect to ever see this so lets have fun without being stupid OP. but toss out any ideas you have and lets come up with the perfect ship they'l never put in the game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,341
[RLGN]
Members
10,669 posts
19,818 battles
1 hour ago, BladedPheonix said:

fun fact: the B-25 Mitchel bomber could also sport torpedoes instead of bombs!:Smile_playing: they were even used during the battle of Midway!

B-26 Marauders.

One nearly doubletapped Nagumo by crashing into Akagi’s bridge, but missed at the last moment.

Maybe a good thing. If Yamaguchi had taken over sooner, who knows what might have changed.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,482
[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,226 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

B-26 Marauders.

One nearly doubletapped Nagumo by crashing into Akagi’s bridge, but missed at the last moment.

Maybe a good thing. If Yamaguchi had taken over sooner, who knows what might have changed.

saw that video yesterday, the guy who creates those videos does an awesome job! i also lmbo when ride of the valkieries played when the DBs showed up!:Smile_veryhappy: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,792
[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,938 battles
3 hours ago, dawggunner said:

So straight up this is NOT a serious post. Its part alcohol-infused day dream, part national pride, and pure silliness. But here's my big idea: What if we put another Yorktown-class carrier in the game, named her Hornet, and slapped some B-25s on her AND NOTHING ELSE. Well how does that work you ask? EASY! 1-3 planes per wave, insane health, slow, "one way" attack waves. payload: british carpet bombing pattern but with American HE bombs, yeah the big ones. Like, if you hit a bismarck you'd take half his health. WHY?!? cuz. drugs are a hell of a drugs.715db9c2340ff8bc32fae8d59b15c2ac.thumb.jpg.62ad58227abc324e8f9cc46bf382ef65.jpghorn03.JPG.69a0e63844f7cbc6e397b3f55b8846bf.JPG

 

2 hours ago, BladedPheonix said:

Actually back in alpha we floated this idea for a premium ship or an April fools day event involving the above mentioned.:fish_book: Wg said it wouldn't work with the then mechanics but now.......

 

also

fun fact: the B-25 Mitchel bomber could also sport torpedoes instead of bombs!:Smile_playing: they were even used during the battle of Midway!

 

2 hours ago, dawggunner said:

TOO AWESOME! just the fact that someone at WG actually ran with this idea is amazing!!!

 

okay......so two types of squadrons?!? lol, like torp pattern similar to Enterprise...but only the one wave lol! 

honestly though id be happy with just HE :) but that is so cool!

 

2 hours ago, BladedPheonix said:

technically 3, the B-25 during late war had rockets as well.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_B-25_Mitchell

 

check paragrah 4 under "uses as a gunship" :fish_book:

 

Yeah, although I would use the gunship variant instead of rockets as something different for the Attack squadrons. Otherwise torps and HE carpet bombing for the TBs and DBs respectively.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,836
[WOLF3]
Members
20,378 posts
18,644 battles
3 hours ago, BladedPheonix said:

Actually back in alpha we floated this idea for a premium ship or an April fools day event involving the above mentioned.:fish_book: Wg said it wouldn't work with the then mechanics but now.......

 

also

fun fact: the B-25 Mitchel bomber could also sport torpedoes instead of bombs!:Smile_playing: they were even used during the battle of Midway!

B-25 was used for a lot of work.

511774EFVXL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

B-25 is traditionally thought of as Army Air Corps but it was used by the naval services also.  They'd slap Radar on them or attacking shipping with rockets and stuff, as well as doing patrols.  Hell, the US Navy was also using B-24s also.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,482
[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,545 posts
12,226 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

B-25 was used for a lot of work.

511774EFVXL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

B-25 is traditionally thought of as Army Air Corps but it was used by the naval services also.  They'd slap Radar on them or attacking shipping with rockets and stuff, as well as doing patrols.  Hell, the US Navy was also using B-24s also.

Just an opinion by I think some of the best weapons are the ones who fall into the "multi-role" category. Also, it cuts coast and if maintaining them is also easy  that's an even bigger win in my book.

 

a few examples would be::fish_book:

 

M4 Sherman

M16 rifle

P47 thunderbolt

Fletcher class DD

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
148
[-TNT-]
Members
729 posts
10,935 battles
On 4/30/2019 at 3:09 PM, dawggunner said:

So straight up this is NOT a serious post. Its part alcohol-infused day dream, part national pride, and pure silliness. But here's my big idea: What if we put another Yorktown-class carrier in the game, named her Hornet, and slapped some B-25s on her AND NOTHING ELSE. Well how does that work you ask? EASY! 1-3 planes per wave, insane health, slow, "one way" attack waves. payload: british carpet bombing pattern but with American HE bombs, yeah the big ones. Like, if you hit a bismarck you'd take half his health. WHY?!? cuz. drugs are a hell of a drugs.715db9c2340ff8bc32fae8d59b15c2ac.thumb.jpg.62ad58227abc324e8f9cc46bf382ef65.jpghorn03.JPG.69a0e63844f7cbc6e397b3f55b8846bf.JPG

Just imagine a U.S.S. Hornet tier X with B-25s for 300,000 coal.

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[COOLI]
Members
76 posts
6,775 battles

 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:43 PM, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Just imagine a U.S.S. Hornet tier X with B-25s for 300,000 coal.

hmmmmm yes... yes i like this. although i worry a bit about CLAAs, but i guess just use Big E tactics.

*Picard voice* Make it so

Edited by dawggunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,196
[SOV]
Members
2,865 posts

They experimented with a 25mm cannon in the nose.

Skip bombing would be thing!

Love it it has to be done!

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[COOLI]
Members
76 posts
6,775 battles
On 5/11/2019 at 10:34 PM, jags_domain said:

They experimented with a 25mm cannon in the nose.

I have not heard of a 25mm cannon version. Did you mean the 75mm m4 cannon? and by "experiment" i assume you mean "produced nearly 1500 service aircraft in 2 primary configurations that saw combat in the pacific theatre and wreaked havoc of IJN surface craft"? They did infact attempt aircraft carrier trials with these "gunships" and PBJ-1s versions, but they didnt pan out.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:34 PM, jags_domain said:

Skip bombing would be thing!

it would if they worked out the mechanics, that would be awesome. but very far from likely.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,196
[SOV]
Members
2,865 posts
On 5/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, dawggunner said:

I have not heard of a 25mm cannon version. Did you mean the 75mm m4 cannon? and by "experiment" i assume you mean "produced nearly 1500 service aircraft in 2 primary configurations that saw combat in the pacific theatre and wreaked havoc of IJN surface craft"? They did infact attempt aircraft carrier trials with these "gunships" and PBJ-1s versions, but they didnt pan out.

it would if they worked out the mechanics, that would be awesome. but very far from likely.

I was not sure if they used the cannon because it was not healthy for the plane. The plane would pause every time it fired.

Many flight mechanics are probably limited. It would ne nice to have attatude and so on. But dont think thats gonna happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[ASHIP]
Members
66 posts
6,579 battles

     I think it would be cool to have them just do a skip bomb attack, have 5 squads of 3 planes, each one individually attack in a low level skip bomb with 4 500 lb bombs, and and once you use all 5 squads, ur done, and just have attack planes after that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,126 posts
3,926 battles

I've wanted larger planes like that for a while now.  I think it'd be pretty cool but...I understand its probably not the easiest thing to design and implement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[COOLI]
Members
76 posts
6,775 battles

well there's already some double engine planes in the game. and some similar mechanics exist. its just a kinda crazy scheme. at least there's a lot of support :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
171
[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,125 battles
6 hours ago, dawggunner said:

well there's already some double engine planes in the game. and some similar mechanics exist. its just a kinda crazy scheme. at least there's a lot of support :)

You're thinking of it as basically an adaptation of the RN carpet bombing attacks, just with B-25s instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[COOLI]
Members
76 posts
6,775 battles

yeah. check the first post. but really thats the whole idea. Keepin it simple :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
366
[NUWES]
Members
2,291 posts
7,256 battles
On 5/15/2019 at 4:41 PM, jags_domain said:

I was not sure if they used the cannon because it was not healthy for the plane. The plane would pause every time it fired.

Many flight mechanics are probably limited. It would ne nice to have attatude and so on. But dont think thats gonna happen.

They didn't really use it much because the cannons fired too slowly and they caused light damage to the plane. Banks of lighter cannon and machine guns in the nose were more effective.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×