You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VonSmallHausenn

system resource utilization by the game ?

35 comments in this topic

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles

I wonder if other players have similar experiences ? Ran AMD performance monitor while in training room,2 brothers map, 12 vs 12 ,random filled teams,bots moving and armed,ai skill high. Game uses a total of 1.5-2gb  Vram, about 2.5 gb ram, Cpu usage around 50%.GPU between 50% to  maxed out most of the time ?? I was curious how good the new 64bit client utilizes system resources.... Biggest shock was, how little video card and system  memory the game uses? 2gb Vram at most..and around 2,5 Gb Ram .... Combined Total system memory usage is around 4.5gb...My settings are high, not ultra(in game) with 1080 p output,,fps steady 60...... (yes i have checked in task manager, i was using the 64 bit client)

[187]
Members
1,633 posts
12,460 battles
17 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

I wonder if other players have similar experiences ? Ran AMD performance monitor while in training room,2 brothers map, 12 vs 12 ,random filled teams,bots moving and armed,ai skill high. Game uses a total of 1.5-2gb  Vram, about 2.5 gb ram, Cpu usage around 50%.GPU between 50% to  maxed out most of the time ?? I was curious how good the new 64bit client utilizes system resources.... Biggest shock was, how little video card and system  memory the game uses? 2gb Vram at most..and around 2,5 Gb Ram .... Combined Total system memory usage is around 4.5gb...My settings are high, not ultra(in game) with 1080 p output,,fps steady 60...... (yes i have checked in task manager, i was using the 64 bit client)

Can you compare them to when you are in a random battle and see if they stay about the same??? 

[SHAFT]
Members
815 posts
18,056 battles
2 minutes ago, C_D said:

Can you compare them to when you are in a random battle and see if they stay about the same??? 

I have been experiencing drops in fps in Randoms since the CV rework. At no point is the game maximizing either the CPU or the GPU. I have 16Gb of Ram, of which the game uses max just under 6Gb.

If he has an AMD cpu I suspect he might have similar problems.

[-RNG-]
Members
557 posts
14,172 battles

My GPU fan goes absolutely berserk when in port but calms down and cools down when in battle.  Seems a little backassward to me but it has been that way since day one with this game more than 2.5 years ago.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,785 posts
9,354 battles
17 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

GPU between 50% to  maxed out most of the time ?? 

What CPU and GPU do you have? Could be a bottleneck.

I just built a new PC with a 2700X, and my (pre-existing) RX580 8Gb does that with every game I've tried it with so far.

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

What CPU and GPU do you have? Could be a bottleneck.

I just built a new PC with a 2700X, and my (pre-existing) RX580 8Gb does that with every game I've tried it with so far.

Old Base system, first gen I7 cpu @ 3.5ghz, 12gb ram, RX-480 8gb.I don`t see any bottleneck. Only the GPU gets close to max utilization,,,from time to time....Heck i have 8gb vram on the card, if game uses 2gb of it most ,,? I`ll see if these readings are about the same in random,,but i do think, using bots usually use more resources, at least more cpu and ram.....My 60 fps limit is due to my 60hz monitor(TV)...But i see no reason to get a 144hz,,,Most likely gonna step up to 4K,and stay with 60hz.....

Edited by VonSmallHausenn

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
1 hour ago, Rabin69 said:

I have been experiencing drops in fps in Randoms since the CV rework. At no point is the game maximizing either the CPU or the GPU. I have 16Gb of Ram, of which the game uses max just under 6Gb.

If he has an AMD cpu I suspect he might have similar problems.

You sure that`s the game only,,or rather total ram usage ? I have intel cpu. 

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,903 battles

The game only uses 2GBs of RAM. I have never seen it go higher. It uses very little resources but more so the CPU than the GPU. My GPU is barely touched, it never goes above 700MHz and hardly any utilization to speak of.

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles

Would like to hear from somebody,who have absolutely everything maxed out  in game settings, and with 4K output,, if their system uses a lot more resources ?

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
Just now, T1mb3rWo1f said:

The game only uses 2GBs of RAM. I have never seen it go higher. It uses very little resources but more so the CPU than the GPU. My GPU is barely touched, it never goes above 700MHz and hardly any utilization to speak of.

Kinda weird. I don`t think that 64 bit client does much more compared to the old 32bit... However,on my Pc,it does feel smoother . My 60hz monitor does not let me see if i could get more fps under the 64bit...... Than again,60fps steady is good for me to all games i play.  

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
1 hour ago, C_D said:

A bit more Vram. at 2.6Gb all game long. With about 2Gb system ram usage..... Cpu at 50% or less... GPU does go crazy...like 100% for seconds ,than goes to 1--2 % for seconds,,than go back ....So far game only utilizes like a total of 4,5 Gb combined Ram and Vram....... 

[_-X-_]
[_-X-_]
Members
222 posts
8,560 battles

Not sure if this applies to any of you, but, Nvidia just issued a hotfix for the most recent driver.  I briefly glanced at the description about the driver impacting the cpu, etc.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,785 posts
9,354 battles
53 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Old Base system, first gen I7 cpu @ 3.5ghz, 12gb ram, RX-480 8gb.I don`t see any bottleneck. Only the GPU gets close to max utilization,,,from time to time....Heck i have 8gb vram on the card, if game uses 2gb of it most ,,? I`ll see if these readings are about the same in random,,but i do think, using bots usually use more resources, at least more cpu and ram.....My 60 fps limit is due to my 60hz monitor(TV)...But i see no reason to get a 144hz,,,Most likely gonna step up to 4K,and stay with 60hz.....

Fair enough, your CPU vs. GPU comparison is reversed from mine.

But yeah, my GPU isn't running at 100% all the time, just spikes, and the regular usage varies with how demanding the particular game is.

I use a TV as well, actually only a 720p, but it was a high-end plasma in its day, and still a great picture. (except when the screen is all one color, you can see various HUD elements burned in lol)  I'll move up to 4k@120Mhz at some point...... (even 1080p would be nice) after how much I spent on the PC blows over with the wife lol.

[SHAFT]
Members
815 posts
18,056 battles
3 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

You sure that`s the game only,,or rather total ram usage ? I have intel cpu. 

I am running the game and Afterburner just to monitor usage. No background programs are running.

I mentioned AMD as most folks I have come across that are having similar problems are running those.

To clarify I am also running a RTX 2060 which is more than enough for this game. I usually am flat out at 75 fps except when it dips to 45 fps for 5-10 seconds during gameplay. The card barely is running at 600 Mhz and less than 3Gb of card memory is used.

[SHAFT]
Members
815 posts
18,056 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Fair enough, your CPU vs. GPU comparison is reversed from mine.

But yeah, my GPU isn't running at 100% all the time, just spikes, and the regular usage varies with how demanding the particular game is.

I use a TV as well, actually only a 720p, but it was a high-end plasma in its day, and still a great picture. (except when the screen is all one color, you can see various HUD elements burned in lol)  I'll move up to 4k@120Mhz at some point...... (even 1080p would be nice) after how much I spent on the PC blows over with the wife lol.

This video is actually uses WOWS as an example to explain some of the issues with CPU and GPU bottlenecking. Hopefully it could give everyone a better idea of what is actually happening with their systems and the game.

• Cool 1

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
12 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

This video is actually uses WOWS as an example to explain some of the issues with CPU and GPU bottlenecking. Hopefully it could give everyone a better idea of what is actually happening with their systems and the game.

cool. However,,with this game,,,there are no bottlenecks, rather how badly the game utilizes(or not utilizes)  available system resources. Game barrely using 2-3Gb of ram,,,2-4 gb Vram,,, less than 50% Cpu... I do think the 64bit update  smoothed thing out a bit,,but it`s a far cry from being a true 64bit game engine  the ground up....

[90THV]
Members
1,912 posts
8,071 battles
4 hours ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

My GPU is barely touched, it never goes above 700MHz and hardly any utilization to speak of.

Then your game looks like a potato.  This system will happily eat up all raw power your GPU puts out, especially in port but also in game, if you let it.  I have a 2080ti, I could have 2 of them and it wouldn't change.

[SHAFT]
Members
815 posts
18,056 battles
5 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

cool. However,,with this game,,,there are no bottlenecks, rather how badly the game utilizes(or not utilizes)  available system resources. Game barrely using 2-3Gb of ram,,,2-4 gb Vram,,, less than 50% Cpu... I do think the 64bit update  smoothed thing out a bit,,but it`s a far cry from being a true 64bit game engine  the ground up....

Based on what the guy in the video was showing it really boils down to utilization (optimization?), especially for processors with more than two cores.

I just ran a game and my cpu was being only utilized at 18% when I was getting significant frame drops in the bay in Narai. You will notice that even though his system was getting 100+ fps it dipped in his testing to as low as 49 (charts at end of vid). Its those drops especially when the action gets close is affecting my enjoyment the most.

• Cool 1

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
2 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

Based on what the guy in the video was showing it really boils down to utilization (optimization?), especially for processors with more than two cores.

I just ran a game and my cpu was being only utilized at 18% when I was getting significant frame drops in the bay in Narai. You will notice that even though his system was getting 100+ fps it dipped in his testing to as low as 49 (charts at end of vid). Its those drops especially when the action gets close is affecting my enjoyment the most.

I still don't get it how he,,or others can have 5-6gb ram usage/game. I have that TOTAL system usage running this game,,and WOW only using 2-2.5Gb at any time...?  And his video is from last year,still the 32 bit client....? 

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,903 battles
17 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

Then your game looks like a potato.  This system will happily eat up all raw power your GPU puts out, especially in port but also in game, if you let it.  I have a 2080ti, I could have 2 of them and it wouldn't change.

lmbo, are you kidding me, this game is designed for potatoes, how the hell are you maxing a 2080ti? I am only running a 2080 and my fans just lay there on vacation. Please explain to me how my game looks like a potato? Please, Please?

[90THV]
Members
1,912 posts
8,071 battles
16 minutes ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

lmbo, are you kidding me, this game is designed for potatoes, how the hell are you maxing a 2080ti? I am only running a 2080 and my fans just lay there on vacation. Please explain to me how my game looks like a potato? Please, Please?

Because I run all max settings at 4K.

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,903 battles
7 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

Because I run all max settings at 4K.

Fair enough there. I ventured the thought of a 4K monitor but have no justification or a use case need for one right now. The output does look good. Please don't push me over the edge. 

[90THV]
Members
1,912 posts
8,071 battles
15 minutes ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

Fair enough there. I ventured the thought of a 4K monitor but have no justification or a use case need for one right now. The output does look good. Please don't push me over the edge. 

The last time I was away from home for a couple of months I let someone borrow mine.  I came back to get it afterwards and they had bought two of their own.  

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles
23 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

If it's steady 60fps, you have vsync on and your monitor has a 60hz output. So the game can't actually utilise any more as it's doing what you've asked it to already.

If you want more utilisation, turn off vsync and it will go up to 75fps, which is hard coded into wows. You can increase this. But what's the point of rendering frames you can't see?

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,903 battles
44 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

The last time I was away from home for a couple of months I let someone borrow mine.  I came back to get it afterwards and they had bought two of their own.  

Ur killing me smalls....