You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

25 comments in this topic

Members
832 posts
25,106 battles

I was going to write a post about “How to Play Fubuki" (Tier VI Tech Tree Destroyer).  When I tried writing, all I could come up with was, this ship is not going to provide a player an experience that is challenging or enjoyable.  In fact, as a unicum, all I could come up with was this is draining, daunting, and tiresome.  I realized almost immediately, that I was looking at the problem set wrong.  I started to look at random play for Tier VI destroyers in general, and it is a common theme I am noticing, destroyers feel like a forlorn hope the moment you press the battle button in the current meta.  I am a very strong player, and yes, I can average 60-80k damage a game in Tier VI destroyers, but I do not derive a sense of accomplishment when I do.  In fact, I feel more defeated and deflated as I am forced to avoid torpedoes, radar, hydro, and worst of all, airplanes from CVs.  

I began a more holistic look into destroyer play past Tier V, and after a few hundred games, I have concluded that destroyer play is no longer something I enjoy, which is unfortunate because it is probably my favorite class to play or should I say…was.  It was also the tether for me remaining within this community.  In my opinion, Fun and Challenging Destroyer play in random battles is, broken.

Wargaming crossed the Rubicon when they initiated the new Aircraft Carrier rework.  Ironically, just prior to the release, I was at an all time high for game satisfaction.  Mind you, this is when the bug existed that ended gun bloom when line of sight was broken, and CVs were far fewer under the RTS.  It made sense (to me).  Additionally, there were not four CVs in every match where I was eviscerated by rockets, my punishment for the mere mistake of queuing into a random battle at the same time they did.

Some players may continue to see the CV rework as a challenge, and I whole heartedly pass the torch to them, it is now theirs to bear.  I wish them good fortune in the struggles to come, starting now.  Unfortunately, for me, this is well beyond challenge and into the why should I even try?  The answer is surprisingly calming to me…I can be more productive with my personal time doing other things.  (One of these include spending more time with my family.)

The release of the CV rework felt like the player-base was subjected to Foie Gras.  I have no statistics for this, no stats to back it up…other than the plethora of threads that have followed and the general discontent on all sides of the argument.  The growing tension is palpable and is also a motivator for lack of enjoyment.  Terms like “just dodge” did little to improve my perspective as destroyers became easy pickings for CVs.  I have witnessed a single squadron of rocket planes destroy a destroyer in one go, despite their efforts to, “just dodge.”

Fare thee well gaming community.  I am retiring from this game, uninstalling, and have no plans to return.  It has been a lot of fun and I have many fond memories, but what I no longer have, is a willingness to continue a stubborn march of depreciating returns in challenge and enjoyment, which are critical to my personal time investment, and you can take that to the bank.

I will end this post by saying a quote from an old favorite, a baseball movie, For the Love of the Game with Kevin Costner, “tell them I'm through, for the love of the game", Billy Chapel.

Spoiler

Fine Print -- The thoughts expressed in this post are merely opinion, not based on fact from any in-game statistics and are solely those of the author devoid of input from other players, community contributors, staff or their individual experiences.  This was added to sate those who must rely on more empirical evidence to convince them of the truth (or support their argument).

Kongo Out!

Edited by Kongo_Pride
  • Cool 20
  • Boring 1

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
15,963 battles

Excellent post. Bravo. WG should take note given your number of battles and your WR. WG should also realize you are basically speaking for the entire DD class of ships because this is the experience of the majority of DD players right now. If you, with your experience and stats are hanging it up, that should be a wake up call to WG.

But that's not likely.

Edited by Lt_Newcastle
  • Cool 1

Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
38 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

I was going to write a post about “How to Play Fubuki" (Tier VI Tech Tree Destroyer).  When I tried writing, all I could come up with was, this ship is not going to provide a player an experience that is challenging or enjoyable.  In fact, as a unicum, all I could come up with was this is draining, daunting, and tiresome.  I realized almost immediately, that I was looking at the problem set wrong.  I started to look at random play for Tier VI destroyers in general, and it is a common theme I am noticing, destroyers feel like a forlorn hope the moment you press the battle button in the current meta.  I am a very strong player, and yes, I can average 60-80k damage a game in Tier VI destroyers, but I do not derive a sense of accomplishment when I do.  In fact, I feel more defeated and deflated as I am forced to avoid torpedoes, radar, hydro, and worst of all, airplanes from CVs.  

I began a more holistic look into destroyer play past Tier V, and after a few hundred games, I have concluded that destroyer play is no longer something I enjoy, which is unfortunate because it is probably my favorite class to play or should I say…was.  It was also the tether for me remaining within this community.  In my opinion, Fun and Challenging Destroyer play in random battles is, broken.

Wargaming crossed the Rubicon when they initiated the new Aircraft Carrier rework.  Ironically, just prior to the release, I was at an all time high for game satisfaction.  Mind you, this is when the bug existed that ended gun bloom when line of sight was broken, and CVs were far fewer under the RTS.  It made sense (to me).  Additionally, there were not four CVs in every match where I was eviscerated by rockets, my punishment for the mere mistake of queuing into a random battle at the same time they did.

Some players may continue to see the CV rework as a challenge, and I whole heartedly pass the torch to them, it is now theirs to bear.  I wish them good fortune in the struggles to come, starting now.  Unfortunately, for me, this is well beyond challenge and into the why should I even try?  The answer is surprisingly calming to me…I can be more productive with my personal time doing other things.  (One of these include spending more time with my family.)

The release of the CV rework felt like the player-base was subjected to Foie Gras.  I have no statistics for this, no stats to back it up…other than the plethora of threads that have followed and the general discontent on all sides of the argument.  The growing tension is palpable and is also a motivator for lack of enjoyment.  Terms like “just dodge” did little to improve my perspective as destroyers became easy pickings for CVs.  I have witnessed a single squadron of rocket planes destroy a destroyer in one go, despite their efforts to, “just dodge.”

Fare thee well gaming community.  I am retiring from this game, uninstalling, and have no plans to return.  It has been a lot of fun and I have many fond memories, but what I no longer have, is a willingness to continue a stubborn march of depreciating returns in challenge and enjoyment, which are critical to my personal time investment, and you can take that to the bank.

I will end this post by saying a quote from an old favorite, a baseball movie, For the Love of the Game with Kevin Costner, “tell them I'm through, for the love of the game", Billy Chapel.

Reveal hidden contents

Fine Print -- The thoughts expressed in this post are merely opinion, not based on fact from any in-game statistics and are solely those of the author devoid of input from other players, community contributors, staff or their individual experiences.  This was added to sate those who must rely on more empirical evidence to convince them of the truth (or support their argument).

Kongo Out!

Good post. Bummer you are leaving. Farewell.

[IRNBN]
Members
3,693 posts
10,741 battles
39 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Kongo Out!

Fair winds, shipmate. Always a shame when a good player shoves off.:Smile_honoring:

[KWF]
Members
4,929 posts
6,598 battles

Personally have stopped playing high tier battles in DDs unless they got capable AA or other tools, like the quick RN smoke. Nowhere near your skill level, but I make do. Still my playtime has decreased by quite a margin. To be honest though, the CV rework is a part,albeit big, of the problem. More common blowout battles, a fixation with reaching tier X as if it will make all the problems go away, these are issues that existed before the rework but are exacerbated now.

As for stats regarding DDs, survivability has gone down by 10% across most tiers and numbers are taking a dip; player numbers haven't changed much, but most opt to switch to a different class and I can't blame them, nor can I CV players that like the new system.

Bottom line, at the end of an often tiring day I just want to spend a couple of hours in a game I have fun in. So far for me WoWs still holds, but definitely pessimistic about the future.

Take care and who knows, WG said no subs yet we got to see them. Maybe if things change for the better WoWs may earn a second chance. :Smile_honoring:

[SBS]
Members
6,105 posts

A long time player, unicum, from a good clan, walks away and WG will see this as poor feedback.  I'm not sure what WG will need to see before they wake up.

Kongo, I don't know if you just need a break or you're done for good.  Either way, good luck.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,308 battles
54 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kongo Out!

Thanks Kongo. I quit after a similar experience in a Cossack match. DD play was my favorite. Now I have retired all my DDs except Okhotnik. Its not fun anymore.

Good luck to ya.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,257 posts
21,677 battles
14 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Personally have stopped playing high tier battles in DDs unless they got capable AA or other tools, like the quick RN smoke. Nowhere near your skill level, but I make do. Still my playtime has decreased by quite a margin. To be honest though, the CV rework is a part,albeit big, of the problem. More common blowout battles, a fixation with reaching tier X as if it will make all the problems go away, these are issues that existed before the rework but are exacerbated now.

As for stats regarding DDs, survivability has gone down by 10% across most tiers and numbers are taking a dip; player numbers haven't changed much, but most opt to switch to a different class and I can't blame them, nor can I CV players that like the new system.

Bottom line, at the end of an often tiring day I just want to spend a couple of hours in a game I have fun in. So far for me WoWs still holds, but definitely pessimistic about the future.

Take care and who knows, WG said no subs yet we got to see them. Maybe if things change for the better WoWs may earn a second chance. :Smile_honoring:

High tier?

The OP mentioned 1 ship an IJN tier 6.

If someone is quitting the game because of several t6 battles, I can understand.

Their are several tier 8 carriers that can can roast tier 6 easily.

But, I feel his overall sentiment is from all tiers and not just t6.

Sad to see him go.

[TSF]
Members
208 posts
12,165 battles

Sad to see you go Kongo. You will be missed. 

If things don't change significantly in the near future, I'll be following in your footsteps.

Edited by Litigo_1970

[CUTER]
Members
65 posts
6,819 battles

RIP Kongo. Who's going to ground on an island in clan battles and somehow not die for the entire  game now?

[EGO]
Members
4,105 posts
3 hours ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kongo Out!

Enjoy your retirement.

I was never a DD main but I came back for the Harugumo and ended up also getting the Daring and Grozovoi. I loved those 3 ships and was playing almost exclusively DDs until the Rework. I probably won't be far behind you but my clan needs a DD player for clan battles right now.

[PVE]
Members
4,664 posts
20,600 battles
4 hours ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kongo Out!

We never say Goodbye in the Cavalry....  We say: till or next post !  Kongo, you are clear the net: black 5 OUT..........

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
394 posts
6,916 battles
5 hours ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kongo Out!

Kongo, looking at the amount of games you have played, you are definitely a stalwart player. It’s sad to see someone like you go. Take care fellow clan-mate.

-Kumano of Kobe

Members
1,852 posts
5,590 battles

If you are once used to being top dog in something and that something changes, it can be hard to even want to adapt.

If long time great players are leaving that is certainly a shame though we must understand this is not about maintaining a game that veterans can continue to dominate purely from their experience and base knowledge of long term game mechanics.

A break is always good though always reconsider if the game becomes appealing again!

Edited by Sumseaman
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,276 posts
23,677 battles
5 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

A long time player, unicum, from a good clan, walks away and WG will see this as poor feedback.  I'm not sure what WG will need to see before they wake up.

Kongo, I don't know if you just need a break or you're done for good.  Either way, good luck.

It isn't often I find myself agreeing with Kongo but I can definitely understand his thoughts and sympathize with wanting to leave the game. It is terrible that we are losing good, veteran players who loved the game. We are not talking about some Steam Scrub who played for a week then bails, but dedicated players. I have noticed that many of the "I quit" posts are players of all skill levels and one thing they have in common is several years of play and around 5k games or better. We should not be losing these players.

46 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

If you are once used to being top dog in something and that something changes, it can be hard to even want to adapt.

If long time great players are leaving that is certainly a shame though we must understand this is not about maintaining a game that veterans can continue to dominate purely from their experience and base knowledge of long term game mechanics.

A break is always good though always reconsider if the game becomes appealing again!

I am going to laugh at your comment because I feel it was made out of ignorance and not malice. Players of Kongo's experience and skill are the backbone and soul of the game. I don't get along all that well with Kongo, we have scrapped a few times in the forums, but I respect his skill and dedication to the game. Laughing or poking fun at him leaving is just pathetic. It is the act of the immature who thinks hiding under the covers or whistling past the graveyard will protect them from harm. In reality you are watching the game die bit by bit.   

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

Members
1,852 posts
5,590 battles
10 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

It isn't often I find myself agreeing with Kongo but I can definitely understand his thoughts and sympathize with wanting to leave the game. It is terrible that we are losing good, veteran players who loved the game. We are not talking about some Steam Scrub who played for a week then bails, but dedicated players. I have noticed that many of the "I quit" posts are players of all skill levels and one thing they have in common is several years of play and around 5k games or better. We should not be losing these players.

I am going to laugh at your comment because I feel it was made out of ignorance and not malice. Players of Kongo's experience and skill are the backbone and soul of the game. I don't get along all that well with Kongo, we have scrapped a few times in the forums, but I respect his skill and dedication to the game. Laughing or poking fun at him leaving is just pathetic. It is the act of the immature who thinks hiding under the covers or whistling past the graveyard will protect them from harm. In reality you are watching the game die bit by bit.   

It was made of neither one and I was certainly not poking fun.

You're spot on when you mention that these players whom are claiming to quit are often those with many years of experience. Do you recall when games had sequels? New game...new parameters. WoWs isn't chess and has a digital and constantly updatable format. I'd love if it could be maintained completely F2P though I imagine WG has to keep bringing in new players, that bring in revenue, who have only a fraction of the knowledge that these veteran players have and want to be competitive and enjoy the experience. Then there are those who have tired of what is something that is far too complicated to be ever truly balanced to everyone's liking.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,165 posts
5,824 battles
1 hour ago, Sumseaman said:

Fair point.

This CV rework, for the good and bad, did flip the paradigm on the game.  I think submarines will do the same thing as players will attempt to combat them...or pilot them against enemies.

A break is definitely good as WG continues to grow the game in different directions.  I took a break after Open Beta because I was burnt out of playing.

[DIEBL]
Members
81 posts
6,004 battles

I agree & I am also quiting, this game used to be fun but not so much anymore. Best of luck my friend & i hope you find something to fill the void. Me personally I will be dedicating my time & money to the games Combat Arms & Crossout, both are free to play and are very fun & intense.

• Boring 1

[-BRS-]
Members
472 posts
20,598 battles
16 hours ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kongo Out!

you will be missed my friend. I enjoyed the games, seeing you in ranked each season and playing with and against you in randoms. Was hoping to play in clan battles with you some day, but i guess that dream is gone too.

I do wish you and your family the best though. It's a sad day.

Members
6,754 posts
21,151 battles
16 hours ago, Kongo_Pride said:

I have no statistics for this, no stats to back it up…

Reveal hidden contents

Kongo Out!

When you have this much experience, you don't need stats. I have uninstalled multiple times and come back. Hopefully you will as well, when ready.

Enjoy your free time.