You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DaRep

Plane range?

21 comments in this topic

[CIT]
Members
8 posts
4,726 battles

So, torpedos have a max range.  Shells have a max range.  How about you set planes to have an absolute maximum operating range from the current position of the CV?  If they go beyond the line, they're just instantly recalled.  Doesn't need to be punitive to available aircraft.

This would require CV pilots to maneuver in a fashion that puts targets they want to strike within their effective bubble.  With some balance, this could introduce a better dynamic of risk/reward.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles

The F4F for example had a range of about 700 nautical miles and it has short legs compared to many other CV aircraft. The reason CV planes have no range limit is because they will never cover enough miles in a match to dent their fuel supply.

[CIT]
Members
8 posts
4,726 battles

Haha @DreadRaybo - seems about right.

@BrushWolf - not really interested in the historical context of anything, since there really isn't a whole lot of 'realism' in this game to begin with.  I'm suggesting a modification to game mechanics, in line with what applies to the other weapon systems found in the game.

I'm not even suggesting 'fuel' - just an extent.  Fly forever within the bubble if you want to, but you have to maneuver the bubble over the targets you want to hit in order to have the capacity to get there.

• Meh 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles

There was a fuel/time limit in the early part of alpha but it was removed because it was not necessary.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

IMO planes should have a range limit and/or time limit. Another thing, some kind of "air terrain", planes cannot go over some of the islands, they would need to go around. 

• Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,463 posts
27,431 battles
14 minutes ago, Xlap said:

IMO planes should have a range limit and/or time limit. Another thing, some kind of "air terrain", planes cannot go over some of the islands, they would need to go around. 

For crying out loud!  These islands are the freaking Himalayas!!!    There are no islands in the Pacific or Atlantic that carrier planes couldn't fly over.

And, no, there should be no range limit.  Carrier planes have sufficient range to cover 700, 1000, or more miles.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles
23 minutes ago, Harathan said:

This just seems like a roundabout way of suggesting CVs need to get in BB gun range to attack with planes, something which has been decried as an outright troll suggestion more than once before.

If your CV dies and you have planes in the air, they get a 3 minute timer from that point before you lose them. I don't get why that timer isn't present for every single flight.

That timer is there so the CV player doesn't just spot and because if you sent your last attack out on automatic with the old RTS system they would finish their attack.

[SALVO]
Members
25,463 posts
27,431 battles
4 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Real planes do, sure. And real DDs don't suddenly magically become visible 6km away. Real ships had crews who's performance tends to degrade somewhat when their ship is getting the snot knocked out of it for 20 minutes.

Come on dude, you know this. You don't put Real Life and WoWs in the same wash. It's gonna come out all bright pink and baubly. 

Don't care.  I prefer that things lean more towards realism.  I don't expect full on, hardcore realism.  I just want to see decisions made that respect realism, rather than taking a dump on it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles
4 minutes ago, Harathan said:

I get why it's there on that last flight, I just wonder why it isn't extended to all flights. I honestly don't recall it being tested on the PTS runs, but I generally don't remember what day it is either, so...

I think it for the same reason they removed fuel/timer from them in alpha, that it did not add to the game

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,206 posts
24,561 battles

Actually, I would like to implement a CV system where the CV could load up more ordnance up to what they historically could carry, at a cost of maximum flight time.

If I want to, for example, load the Skyraider like this:

Douglas_AD-2_Skyraider_in_flight_during_

-UOMgPUYNGasDSKMuXPtidZ4PhZq1kGsBrzk9t06

martin-am-1-mauler-formation.jpg.3860656

Or other aircraft like this:

f4u-5.png

f4u-4b_-1952-01-jpg.383605

f4u-4b_-1952-00-jpg.383604

Or this Hellcat:

f6f-13.jpg

More ordnance, less flight time :Smile_coin:

Or stick to the standard loadouts for the current unlimited aircraft range.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
26 minutes ago, Crucis said:

For crying out loud!  These islands are the freaking Himalayas!!!    There are no islands in the Pacific or Atlantic that carrier planes couldn't fly over.

And, no, there should be no range limit.  Carrier planes have sufficient range to cover 700, 1000, or more miles.  

This is a arcade game, not a simulator. Balance is important, not historical accuracy.

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
55 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The F4F for example had a range of about 700 nautical miles and it has short legs compared to many other CV aircraft. The reason CV planes have no range limit is because they will never cover enough miles in a match to dent their fuel supply.

Then Destroyers should carry a max of 20 torpedo's and every BB shells should sink CA's in lower in 1 volley  I mean if we are going based off reality, lets do it.

1 minute ago, Xlap said:

This is a arcade game, not a simulator. Balance is important, not historical accuracy.

People like to relate to historical references when it supports their game design theory, but never any other time.

Edited by JonnyFreedom

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,636 battles
49 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

How about planes have the same dmg as bb shells or shimakazi torps?

Good lord, imagine the salt when Midway slings 18 regular torps at a lone Musashi. Sure, very few would ever hit, but I don't think the CV haters take that into account anyways.

Members
320 posts
5,551 battles

I don't feel that having a set range on airplanes is necessary. I'm assuming this suggestion is proposed with the objective of luring CVs out of hiding so they are more vulnerable, but personally I don't find it necessary. As a decent CV player, I am well aware that the further away my ship is, the longer it will take my planes to reach their targets. The longer the amount of time I spend flying to my targets, the less damage I do, and you get the idea. If CVs want to spend the bulk of their time parked at the edge of the map, I say let them. These are the players that will have a minimal impact on the match and fail to do reasonable damage.

[B808]
Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Other players can attack me, please nerf. :Smile_sceptic:

Yep pretty much, go figure eh ?

• Funny 1

[B808]
Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
30 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

I don't feel that having a set range on airplanes is necessary. I'm assuming this suggestion is proposed with the objective of luring CVs out of hiding so they are more vulnerable, but personally I don't find it necessary. As a decent CV player, I am well aware that the further away my ship is, the longer it will take my planes to reach their targets. The longer the amount of time I spend flying to my targets, the less damage I do, and you get the idea. If CVs want to spend the bulk of their time parked at the edge of the map, I say let them. These are the players that will have a minimal impact on the match and fail to do reasonable damage.

Well the suggestion is coming from a player who has less than 50 games in a CV soooooooo.

[CIT]
Members
8 posts
4,726 battles
15 hours ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

I'm assuming this suggestion is proposed with the objective of luring CVs out of hiding so they are more vulnerable, but personally I don't find it necessary.

In line with one of the other commenters, I'm not even suggesting BB gun range.  At Tier X, make it 30km or something in that range.  Lower CV detectability a percentage as a result if need be.  Something that at least keeps people within a reasonable engagement range.

I certainly understand your counterpoint about DPS for time of travel for the planes and trying to be closer to the targets naturally to optimize that DPS, but at Tier X, planes can cover half of the map vertically in less than a minute as is.  We're not talking laborious flight times here. 

As a Tier X primary, I don't necessarily even hate the plane perma-spot that can happen as much as I hate the fact that the new CV meta has people playing the objectives even less than they already did prior.  Maybe it would drive me nuts less if they just introduced a straight up random battles elimination game mode rather than maintained the pretenses of "objectives."