Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sumseaman

To those that do, why do you enjoy playing CVs?

73 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,850 posts
5,566 battles

I've read much about the reasons for many players detesting carriers. Personally I am quite enjoying the new style the rework offers.

One of the exciting elements to carrier play I find is the capability to rapidly respond to situations as they arise during the match. Spotting can be provided where needed as can limited fire support. Weakened targets can be pressed or finished off. Caps can be defended. I can influence a fair amount of the outcome though certainly not more so than a well played and positioned ship of any other class.

One factor that certainly does not draw me to the class is the supposed 'game ruining' experience that is being subjected upon other players....as it has been claimed. I also have not witnessed CV players taunting others and most certainly seem to go out of there way to provide cover be it with their fighter consumable or otherwise.

If you haven't played them, try them!

To those that already have and continue to enjoy them with seemingly many others, what draws you to them?

Edited by Sumseaman
  • Cool 8
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,533
[PSA]
Members
5,111 posts
3,732 battles

1) It's are a very different experience from any other ship in the game and it's fun to shake things up. Especially now that you don't have to be a micromanagement god to handle strafing duels.

2) Flying through heavy flak is FUN! Seriously. That alone makes it so damn enjoyable and one of the best things to come out of the rework. RTS carriers of old were just boring. Unbelievably powerful, sure, but boring nonetheless. The reworked carriers are a much more visceral experience.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,876
[WOLFG]
Members
30,625 posts
9,257 battles

Something a little different.

I don't really care about ruining others' games, I'm looking to do that no matter what ship I take out of port. And no matter what ship I play, or even how I play it, the potential to ruin somebody's game is front and centre.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,850 posts
5,566 battles
Just now, KaptainKaybe said:

1) It's are a very different experience from any other ship in the game and it's fun to shake things up. Especially now that you don't have to be a micromanagement god to handle strafing duels.

2) Flying through heavy flak is FUN! Seriously. That alone makes it so damn enjoyable and one of the best things to come out of the rework. RTS carriers of old were just boring. Unbelievably powerful, sure, but boring nonetheless. The reworked carriers are a much more visceral experience.

So true about the micro RTS days. I could manage it fine but it actually was quite taxing by the end of a match especially with the expectations that were placed on a high tier carrier.

Dodging long/med flak now is where the skill is at now. Agree it's great fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,876
[WOLFG]
Members
30,625 posts
9,257 battles
4 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

I don’t. 

It’s just playing CVs is a lot better than playing against them. 

Depends what tiers you play I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,877
[-BUI-]
Members
2,340 posts
6,368 battles
5 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

I don’t. 

It’s just playing CVs is a lot better than playing against them. 

Same here.   The most enjoyable thing about playing CV is not being attacked by CV (often anyway)

I really wanna play surface ships again, but, not if there is a CV in the game, and I haven't had a CV-Free game in weeks.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,901
[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

I like griefing other players and winning.

CV combines the best of both.

Proof

image.thumb.png.da7278f355a3598ad0a6c6ee3d85ded8.png

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,850 posts
5,566 battles
2 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Same here.   The most enjoyable thing about playing CV is not being attacked by CV (often anyway)

I really wanna play surface ships again, but, not if there is a CV in the game, and I haven't had a CV-Free game in weeks.

Which are these surface ships that are so frequently targeted to the point where they are unplayable?

I am asking honestly as when playing a DD or something in some way vulnerable to air attack is just doesn't seem that if the team utilises good positioning and cohesion that carriers are that deadly. If I see a Midway I watch it like a hawk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Something a little different.

I don't really care about ruining others' games, I'm looking to do that no matter what ship I take out of port. And no matter what ship I play, or even how I play it, the potential to ruin somebody's game is front and centre.

Truth. Anything can make anything else miserable. I'd rather fight a CV than a Wooster or Atlanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,877
[-BUI-]
Members
2,340 posts
6,368 battles
Just now, Sumseaman said:

Which are these surface ships that are so frequently targeted to the point where they are unplayable?

I am asking honestly as when playing a DD or something in some way vulnerable to air attack is just doesn't seem that if the team utilises good positioning and cohesion that carriers are that deadly. If I see a Midway I watch it like a hawk. 

Anything that isn't a sailing AA barge of death feels pretty unplayable right now, regardless of tier.   I've started messing around in trying to find the best T2 ship I like, so I can have a mode that isn't co-op that won't have CVs in it....I like the Medea btw, solid little T2 DD.

Last T10 game I played that I wasn't in a Midway, I was in a Harugumo and I died to aerial torpedoes with 3 friendly ships around me, I won't even look at that ship right now, there is no point to even attempting to play it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,876
[WOLFG]
Members
30,625 posts
9,257 battles
2 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

Truth. Anything can make anything else miserable. I'd rather fight a CV than a Wooster or Atlanta.

I mean really, any of these players that talk about being "ethical" by not playing a ship they feel ruins the game for others, does anybody really believe that? 

If you're truly not here to ruin my game, don't shoot at me, and...just a few degrees more broadside, please and thank you.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,547
[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,565 posts
2 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Anything that isn't a sailing AA barge of death feels pretty unplayable right now, regardless of tier.   I've started messing around in trying to find the best T2 ship I like, so I can have a mode that isn't co-op that won't have CVs in it....I like the Medea btw, solid little T2 DD.

Last T10 game I played that I wasn't in a Midway, I was in a Harugumo and I died to aerial torpedoes with 3 friendly ships around me, I won't even look at that ship right now, there is no point to even attempting to play it.

Getting killed by CV torps in a DD is something... special...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
127
[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
326 posts
18,028 battles

I enjoy finding the one or two players who are dumb enough to play a Musashi or German BB like the Bismarck and send everything I have against them the entire game. It sucks competing with the other CV who has the same idea though since there's not enough to go around.

After that, it's 99% USN or AA heavy ships, so I don't enjoy the remaining 75% of the game but that first 5 minutes is grand.

I also enjoy letting the one or two DDs who survived the radar onslaught to do their thing until they are the last ones on the map for me to try and kill.

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,304 posts
10,989 battles
3 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

Which are these surface ships that are so frequently targeted to the point where they are unplayable?

I am asking honestly as when playing a DD or something in some way vulnerable to air attack is just doesn't seem that if the team utilises good positioning and cohesion that carriers are that deadly. If I see a Midway I watch it like a hawk. 

A lot of the IJN ships. Ships like Asashio, Amagi, Atago... aren’t really suited for sitting in the middle of a deathball, they’d rather off to a flank. It’s ironic because while they perform better when separated against surface ships, their utter lack of any sort of significant AA can’t even annoy most CVs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,729 posts
21,137 battles

CV play is a blast. It truly is fun and active. It's how it affects the rest of the game play for other players. And clearly there is the disconnect. It's like that three layer chess board that no can figure out.

See the source image

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,877
[-BUI-]
Members
2,340 posts
6,368 battles
Just now, Spyde said:

Getting killed by CV torps in a DD is something... special...

A:  I was smoking up, so I wasn't moving that fast....

B:  I didn't know I was being targeted until it was too late

C:  Gumo is pretty easy to hit with torps anyway, its no Z-52 in terms of agility.

Its not that out of the question if you've played any amount of Harugumo before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,213
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,103 posts
14,728 battles
3 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Anything that isn't a sailing AA barge of death feels pretty unplayable right now, regardless of tier.   I've started messing around in trying to find the best T2 ship I like, so I can have a mode that isn't co-op that won't have CVs in it....I like the Medea btw, solid little T2 DD.

Last T10 game I played that I wasn't in a Midway, I was in a Harugumo and I died to aerial torpedoes with 3 friendly ships around me, I won't even look at that ship right now, there is no point to even attempting to play it.

How close were those friendly ships? You need to be one to two kilometers from your support for it to do any good.

Just now, Spyde said:

Getting killed by CV torps in a DD is something... special...

This, it takes a lot of luck or unicum level skill at dropping torpedoes to hit any DD with them even the ones that are not truly DD's like the Khab.

4 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

A lot of the IJN ships. Ships like Asashio, Amagi, Atago... aren’t really suited for sitting in the middle of a deathball, they’d rather off to a flank. It’s ironic because while they perform better when separated against surface ships, their utter lack of any sort of significant AA can’t even annoy most CVs.

The tier of the attacking CV makes a huge difference. There isn't a tier 10 DD that isn't dangerous for a tier 8 CV to approach even when they are separated from the mob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
438
[WOLFA]
Members
811 posts
7,100 battles

I play CV's because:

Instant launch of a squad at the start of battle.

Spotting the entire enemy team before they leave spawn.

Finding a lone DD and hitting them with multiple rocket hits taking out his engine and setting him on fire causing him to waste a smoke.

Perma-spotting the enemy team.

Catching a BB all alone and torping away half his health.

Perma-spotting the enemy team.

Unlimited planes.

Dive bombing a cruiser and one shotting them.

And perma-spotting the enemy team. :Smile_popcorn:

 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,877
[-BUI-]
Members
2,340 posts
6,368 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

How close were those friendly ships? You need to be one to two kilometers from your support for it to do any good.

This, it takes a lot of luck or unicum level skill at dropping torpedoes to hit any DD with them even the ones that are not truly DD's like the Khab.

They were very close, within 2 KM, one was literally right next to me.

Hitting a Harugumo with any of 6 torpedoes is about as hard as hitting a Yamato with them, Gumo is easy as hell to hit.

Edited by Zenn3k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,850 posts
5,566 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

 

This, it takes a lot of luck or unicum level skill at dropping torpedoes to hit any DD with them even the ones that are not truly DD's like the Khab.

 

Only time I can hit a decent DD with torps is in a Brit CV. Rest of the time you can forget about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,213
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,103 posts
14,728 battles
1 minute ago, Sumseaman said:

Only time I can hit a decent DD with torps is in a Brit CV. Rest of the time you can forget about it.

Come to think about it I have had much more luck hitting them with torpedoes then any other DD which is counter intuitive with how small and nimble they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONKS]
Members
322 posts
20,338 battles

As the whole game ruining experience is a conspiracy theory started by people who just hate CVs for now reason no matter what.
Back then CVs were significantly more powerful. CVs can no longer dev strike a ship while perma spotting the entire map.
CVs are pretty well balanced. Yes they counter DDs hard but nothing else reliably counters them other than Russian radar, so of course CVs should counter hard as there are very few counters. Back then DDs had a lot of counters, now they basically have only two.

What draws me to the CV gameplay is that it's different. I kind of like it.

  • Cool 2
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
16 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

A:  I was smoking up, so I wasn't moving that fast....

B:  I didn't know I was being targeted until it was too late

C:  Gumo is pretty easy to hit with torps anyway, its no Z-52 in terms of agility.

Its not that out of the question if you've played any amount of Harugumo before.

Harugumo is also longer than many CLs, which doesn't help in the least.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,372
[WOLF1]
Members
5,808 posts
37 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Something a little different.

I don't really care about ruining others' games, I'm looking to do that no matter what ship I take out of port. And no matter what ship I play, or even how I play it, the potential to ruin somebody's game is front and centre.

Yeah, I like to win and blow up others' ships regardless of what I drive.  What I *don't* do well is play one thing all the time.

I like variety, so it's not pro-CV, it's pro-everything.  I don't play CVs to pick on red DDs.  I pick on red DDs in about anything, if the opportunity comes to me.  Sinking red DDs wins games, much of the time.

Oh, and don't forget, I'm a master at the 'cannon fodder' role, which is very important.

Edited by mavfin87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×