You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HellHammer9182

Torpedo distnace should be nerfed

107 comments in this topic

Members
75 posts
459 battles

Ok, so I haven't played WoW a lot, but another thing here that seems to need to be nerfed is Torpedo distance, I was just in a match and no enemy had been within 12km of me at any point, and next thing I know I have torpedo's of port side so close to that I have no time to turn or get away from them and they decimate me so bad that the next salvo fired at me kills me instantly, so I went from full health to dead in about 3 seconds, I really feel like you shouldn't be able to fire torpedo's any further away than 10km at the absolute maximum.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 14
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 12

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,680 posts
7,066 battles
7 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

Ok, so I haven't played WoW a lot, but another thing here that seems to need to be nerfed is Torpedo distance, I was just in a match and no enemy had been within 12km of me at any point, and next thing I know I have torpedo's of port side so close to that I have no time to turn or get away from them and they decimate me so bad that the next salvo fired at me kills me instantly, so I went from full health to dead in about 3 seconds, I really feel like you shouldn't be able to fire torpedo's any further away than 10km at the absolute maximum.

Realize that some of the lower teir DDs have detection ranges below 5KMs...  so thay can be that close to you and launch torpedoes without you seeing them.  I would really suggest playing some dds... it will teach you more about playing this game than any other class...albeit a hard learning curve.     its hard to understand at 1st...try them you will start seeing it.    

• Cool 5

Members
75 posts
459 battles

I don't have any desire to play DD's, and this whole spotting mechanic seems pretty stupid to me, if you have LOS then you should see them, and ships had spotters on them with binoculars.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 8

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
4,680 posts
7,066 battles
6 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

I don't have any desire to play DD's, and this whole spotting mechanic seems pretty stupid to me, if you have LOS then you should see them, and ships had spotters on them with binoculars.

Well there are some reasons that the spotting system is the way it is...The size of the maps and the ranges these ships are fighting at are a big part of it.   it does take some getting used to.  Your complaint is not uncommon for new players.    My best advice is if you are playing against DDs and are spotted....assume torpedoes are coming ...make irregular turns and speed changes.. it will help you avoid incoming gunfire as well... you'll get used to it.     HANG IN THERE....it will come to you.. and welcome aboard.  

• Cool 5

Members
797 posts
21 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

This is either a troll account or new player either way. No.

You had a DD in range of you that you didnt see and he torped you. GG.

• Boring 1

Members
135 posts
17,412 battles

A review of a game where you didnt review every part of the game.. Sounds like IGN should hire you.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 12

[ENDO]
Members
282 posts

There are many factors at play here. The bigger the ship, the farther away it can be spotted. Battleships can be spotted from far away and dds can be spotted from 5.4 km to about 7.1 km. Most low tier DDs have about 2 km stealth firing torpedoes which are not effective if the ship is going away from the DD. By the time the torpedoes get to where the ship is the ship will be well beyond the torpedo range.

If the ship is coming towards the DD then it will more likely be spotted and the ship has time to evade the torpedoes. Since the dd needs to fire its torpedoes from the side, 2 km stealth firing gap will soon be overtaken.

However, when a ship goes on a diagonal course towards the DD, the DD can fire a set of torpedoes that intersects the ship. Once those torpedoes are launched then the dd captain sails away to safety. This is why any ship should vary its speed and course every 15 seconds.

Remember, DDs have to contend with radar ships in which most have a 10 km range. So the 12 km torpedoes give them a 2 km stealth firing distance. At higher tiers there are more radar ships and many of those ships have hydroaccustics that detect the torpedoes 5 km away.

So the game has plenty of techniques to avoid the torpedoes and spot them. It just takes time learning them. This also applies to the dd as well.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
4,680 posts
7,066 battles
2 minutes ago, JToney3449 said:

This is either a troll account or new player either way. No.

You had a DD in range of you that you didnt see and he torped you. GG.

Hey.. Its a new player,  I'm sure,  and WG spotting system isn't exactly intuitive at first.       Cut them some slack.. A lot of players here come from WOT so they get the spotting mechanics pretty quick?  I haven't looked at this players acct...so who knows.?  Still writing a neg review after 132 games and clearly not understanding the mechanics yet is a little harsh...  exactly why game reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.        

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,747 battles
28 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

This is why CVs are good. They help spot those pesky little DDs before they can wreck your day.

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,747 battles

"The game is full of salty old elites who refuse to countenance any change that would make the game better for new players..."

...doesnt sound much better for a review.

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
11,381 posts
19,183 battles
28 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

so I went from full health to dead in about 3 seconds,

Cruisers get deleted faster from 1 salvo BB of AP.... They will tell you the same chorus/advice I'll will give you... 

1. It is what it is just compliment your murderer accordingly.
  2. Dont sail in straight lines
  3. Dont show all of your broadsides

. Until WOWS steps away from Alpha DMG that exceeds the ship tier HP. (both torps and AP). Its how the game is... 

• Cool 1

[B808]
Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
20 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

Then keep getting killed by DD's, you need to learn how they play before you write your review because it will be as flawed as your thread. This isn't a Sim those games are --------------> that way.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,747 battles
1 minute ago, Harathan said:

Maybe, but realistically what change can be made here (we're talking about concealment, after all) that wouldn't drastically alter whole swathes of gameplay mechanics?

Why is that bad?

The new player doesnt care about your sunk cost fallacy...

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles
2 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

You realize I wasn't in the front lines and there were other ships further out from me and no ships or torps were spotted, seems like an issue to me.

Difficult to realize anything when there is no footage or anything to analyze. That‘s like telling someone how you saw carrots in the grocery store, and then next sentence say "you do realize I paid with a check?".

If you think something went wrong, or that you have an issue with something, in your game files you will find a folder called "replays". You‘ll easily find the match in question. Drag and drop that here, and we‘ll see what happened. In 99.9% of the cases the answer will be fairly simple.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,747 battles
Just now, Harathan said:

There's no fallacy at play here; asking for changes that primarily benefit newer players but that drastically effect all existing game facets is a fairly tall order, don't you think?

Demanding nothing changes because you dont want to lose your 'I already know how this should work' advantage is on the same order of sillyness.

Do you want more players and money in game?

How much do you want them? What would you sacrifice.

Members
797 posts
9 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

Hey.. Its a new player,  I'm sure,  and WG spotting system isn't exactly intuitive at first.       Cut them some slack.. A lot of players here come from WOT so they get the spotting mechanics pretty quick?  I haven't looked at this players acct...so who knows.?  Still writing a neg review after 132 games and clearly not understanding the mechanics yet is a little harsh...  exactly why game reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.        

132 games and clearly does not understand them? I have 1000's of battles and dont clearly understand them either lol tis wg.  I not here to coddle people, he flat out says stuff needs nerfed with little to no idea what he is talking about.  He didnt ask for advice in his OP.  He wants to write a review about a game after 130 battles that normally takes 1000's of battles to get decent at.  If i seemed harsh im ok with that.  If he truly wanted to understand the game for a review he should be asking questions about it not just going OP plz nerf.

• Cool 1

Members
75 posts
459 battles

I'm sure the game did the torpedo's the way it's designed too, I"m saying the distance should be nerfed a bit, but all you old salty elites don't wanna hear nothing new blood has to say so what's the point.

• Meh 2

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,747 battles
3 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Who's demanding nothing changes? Cos I certainly haven't said anything of the kind.

Making changes purely for the sake of making changes is just as foolish as refusing to change because of familiarity.

It's my assessment of a lot of the angst over the last 6 months.

People unhappy their Giulio Cesare might be balanced and resold...and the implications for other OP premiums...

...and people unhappy that the concealment meta is dying by carrier. 

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,935 posts
30 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

Yeah well as of right now my review I'm writing for the game isn't looking so hot, we'll see.

:cap_haloween:

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
4,680 posts
7,066 battles
2 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

I'm sure the game did the torpedo's the way it's designed too, I"m saying the distance should be nerfed a bit, but all you old salty elites don't wanna hear nothing new blood has to say so what's the point.

It's all good, this is the interwebz...... I tell you what.. some advice -  make a training room battle and take  dd in and drive round against some stationary bots, turn off their firing ability...all the controls are there and pretty simple.  ..  You can set them up to not move or fire  drive it around and note how and when you are spotted.   you can quickly see how you are spotted and you will understand how it works pretty quickly.   like I said learning DD play will make you a better player with every ship in the game. i think it is the best teacher of game mechanics and tactics in this game.       

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
7,935 posts
23 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

It's like a new guy walking into a Thursday night poker game that's been going on for 10 years and telling everyone how it should be.  As a general rule, things are they way they are for very good reasons.

Can they be changed?  Possibly, but you are going to need to understand why they are the way they are, before you start telling everyone else why they are wrong. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,240 posts
21,643 battles
55 minutes ago, HellHammer9182 said:

Nerf radar to 8km and I will agree.

With 12km Soviet radar.....