Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KurganSPK

Been away for a few months - Zao feels so.... "meh" now.. nearly unplayable. Or is it just me - probably just me...

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
896 posts
10,505 battles

Firstly, yes the ship was OP once upon a time. But now... short range, less effective HE... seems like the cit grew... and gets easily deleted by CVs......  Or is it still awesome and I need to just "git gud"? Can't seem to make her work. 

Members
797 posts

Well Zao is still a good ship. HE should be the same, range to, and CV cant delete anything really any more they lost a ton of alpha but they can get you in several attacks if you arent maneuvering well.

Beta Testers
896 posts
10,505 battles
11 minutes ago, JToney3449 said:

Well Zao is still a good ship. HE should be the same, range to, and CV cant delete anything really any more they lost a ton of alpha but they can get you in several attacks if you arent maneuvering well.

yesterday, I was juking HARD... def AA, fighter launched... and a Midway sends two squadrons at me. First one hit me, not sure with what - rockets? - and I was down 40 percent health with three fires... second one hit, divebomber I think, and I was dead. And I was doing everything I could maneuvering-wise. Think I shot down two or three planes... Another T10 CV deleted my Jean Bart in two attacks... AA seems very ineffective versus a few months ago when I was last playing a lot. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,723 posts
12,909 battles

Yea, Zaos are largly a tasty snack for CVs nowadays unless protected by another ship.

Members
797 posts
8 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

yesterday, I was juking HARD... def AA, fighter launched... and a Midway sends two squadrons at me. First one hit me, not sure with what - rockets? - and I was down 40 percent health with three fires... second one hit, divebomber I think, and I was dead. And I was doing everything I could maneuvering-wise. Think I shot down two or three planes... Another T10 CV deleted my Jean Bart in two attacks... AA seems very ineffective versus a few months ago when I was last playing a lot. 

When you say attacks, do you mean 3 to 4 attacks for each squadron or just 1 attack run from each.  Only way to eat you HP wise would be to make lots of  attack runs.  Zao's AA isnt the best, and rockets will blow up a lot of AA mounts, though AA mounts have 300% more health then they used to.

Edited by JToney3449

[GGWP]
Members
7,086 posts
16,375 battles

Zao is a positional ship that relies on stealth, flanking and surprise... 

CVs negate that pretty much. If you aren't close to the lemming train, you die now... 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Beta Testers
896 posts
10,505 battles
8 minutes ago, JToney3449 said:

When you say attacks, do you mean 3 to 4 attacks for each squadron or just 1 attack run from each.  Only way to eat you HP wise would be to make lots of  attack runs.  Zao's AA isnt the best, and rockets will blow up a lot of AA mounts, though AA mounts have 300% more health then they used to.

it looked like just one attack run from each... 

Members
797 posts
Just now, KurganSPK said:

it looked like just one attack run from each... 

Average attack run from a midway rocket would be around 7k give or take a bit.  DB average around 10-15k give or take a bit, per run each squadron should have 3-4 runs each.  +Fires.  Lining up on a maneuvering cruiser with DB isnt the easiest, rockets are pretty easy tho since they dont do as much dmg.  So give or take 1 run each would be about 17-20k dmg, if he made more runs he could sink you pretty easy.  With a CV in the match as a Zao you need to make sure you are the least easy target to go for, so cruise next to one of your BB combine AA.  Use islands to block one side of the attack runs and use your AA reinforce sector on the open side to boost your AA dmg.

Aside from that constantly be maneuvering if you see one coming in, and make sure to learn the CVs different drop patterns.  Some CV rocket planes its easier to hit you from the side, others from the front/back.  When you see torpedo planes/DB come in for an attack use your throttle and throttle down/up to throw off the run, it is surprisingly effective.  Generally if there is 1 CV try to be on the opposite side of the map from him, or near an ally who you can sail towards for combined AA.  

After a few failed runs a CV will usually pick another easier target if your zoa is a pain to hit/get to.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
896 posts
10,505 battles
30 minutes ago, JToney3449 said:

Average attack run from a midway rocket would be around 7k give or take a bit.  DB average around 10-15k give or take a bit, per run each squadron should have 3-4 runs each.  +Fires.  Lining up on a maneuvering cruiser with DB isnt the easiest, rockets are pretty easy tho since they dont do as much dmg.  So give or take 1 run each would be about 17-20k dmg, if he made more runs he could sink you pretty easy.  With a CV in the match as a Zao you need to make sure you are the least easy target to go for, so cruise next to one of your BB combine AA.  Use islands to block one side of the attack runs and use your AA reinforce sector on the open side to boost your AA dmg.

Aside from that constantly be maneuvering if you see one coming in, and make sure to learn the CVs different drop patterns.  Some CV rocket planes its easier to hit you from the side, others from the front/back.  When you see torpedo planes/DB come in for an attack use your throttle and throttle down/up to throw off the run, it is surprisingly effective.  Generally if there is 1 CV try to be on the opposite side of the map from him, or near an ally who you can sail towards for combined AA.  

After a few failed runs a CV will usually pick another easier target if your zoa is a pain to hit/get to.

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to post some tips. I do most of what you suggest, and was in the demise mentioned. I was too far from other friendlies but this was also in the first couple mins of the match... just spawned close to enemy CV in his first flight path I guess. 

Beta Testers
896 posts
10,505 battles

Well I didn't have the range upgrade equipped for some reason... did before my break I'm sure. Fitted that and doing much better... 

Sign in to follow this