Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Secondaries

USS Flint worth a pick up?

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

276
[NOCAP]
[NOCAP]
Members
331 posts
20,064 battles

Hey All!

 

I got a decent amount of steel, but am now stuck as to what to get with it... the options Im looking at is either the Flint, or the Nuestrashimy. 

I have an Atlanta, and have a CRAZY amount of games played in it. I love the ship to death, along with worcester. However i've been told that the flint isn't really worth getting if I have a Atlanta already. 

 

I do love my grozovoi, so hence why im looking at the shimy. However I have no where near the same amount of fun and games played in the Atlanta. 

 

Can someone give me some good info to make my decision? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
210
[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
373 posts
14,498 battles

Do you wish you had better torps and smoke in the ATL?

If not then I would pass if you already have an ATL.

Edited by custer_14
The

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[DONKY]
[DONKY]
Members
24 posts

Flint is amazing.  Benson torps 9.2k range, choice of DFAA or Hydro and a US Smoke for 2mins.  If you like the Atl you will give it up for the Flint.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,647
[PVE]
Members
20,069 posts
12,769 battles
17 minutes ago, Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds said:

Hey All!

 

I got a decent amount of steel, but am now stuck as to what to get with it... the options Im looking at is either the Flint, or the Nuestrashimy. 

I have an Atlanta, and have a CRAZY amount of games played in it. I love the ship to death, along with worcester. However i've been told that the flint isn't really worth getting if I have a Atlanta already. 

 

I do love my grozovoi, so hence why im looking at the shimy. However I have no where near the same amount of fun and games played in the Atlanta. 

 

Can someone give me some good info to make my decision? 

 

 

 

10 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

Do you wish you had better torps and smoke in the ATL?

If not then I would pass if you already have an ATL.

1 minute ago, Breaking__Wind said:

Flint is amazing.  Benson torps 9.2k range, choice of DFAA or Hydro and a US Smoke for 2mins.  If you like the Atl you will give it up for the Flint.

I agree with these. Smoke instead of RADAR on the Flint changes the game play along with the longer torps. If you like Atlanta, you will like Flint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
400
[RCNW3]
Members
1,943 posts
20,095 battles

If you like the Atlanta, you will have crazy fun with the Flint - well worth the steel expenditure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,304 posts
10,989 battles

There's not much else to do with your steel if you're not planning on getting Black, Neustrashimy, Stalingrad, or Bourgogne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
276
[NOCAP]
[NOCAP]
Members
331 posts
20,064 battles

I already got, Stalingrad. 

 

No real interest in Black or Bourgogne. 

 

Sounds like flint it is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,258
[WOLF3]
Members
28,279 posts
24,692 battles

If you're not too excited about Flint or the existing crop of Steel Ships, OP, I say hang on to the resource.  It's harder to accumulate than Coal and FreeXP, and getting Steel often involved a tremendous amount of heartache in Ranked, Clan Battles.  Keep piling up the Steel, don't blow money for the sake of blowing money.  Who knows what kind of Steel Ships are coming down the line by the end of the year or the next?

 

Why give up precious Steel for an existing ship you don't care much for?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
261
[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,408 battles
7 hours ago, Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds said:

Hey All!

 

I got a decent amount of steel, but am now stuck as to what to get with it... the options Im looking at is either the Flint, or the Nuestrashimy. 

I have an Atlanta, and have a CRAZY amount of games played in it. I love the ship to death, along with worcester. However i've been told that the flint isn't really worth getting if I have a Atlanta already. 

 

I do love my grozovoi, so hence why im looking at the shimy. However I have no where near the same amount of fun and games played in the Atlanta. 

 

Can someone give me some good info to make my decision? 

 

HELL YES!! I love my Flint she has better mid range AA over the Atlanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,389
[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,362 battles

 I love Atlanta but Flint is much better. The smoke means it's better when facing higher-tier opponents. The longer-range torps have to be respected.

The smoke also means that you can take more aggressive positions and put down a lot more damage, as well as escape from danger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,962
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,345 posts
9,668 battles

Flint is a very, very good ship. Smoke generator on an HE spamming cruiser is always good, and usable torpedoes make everything that much better. I've not touched my Atlanta since I got Flint with steel.

The only downside is that Flint requires a specialized commander to be most effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
434 posts
7,942 battles
5 hours ago, JToney3449 said:

Just get the atlanta and div with a USN DD, tadda now you have a ghetto flint and it didnt cost your steel.

I love doing that with my Sims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,836
[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you're not too excited about Flint or the existing crop of Steel Ships, OP, I say hang on to the resource.  It's harder to accumulate than Coal and FreeXP, and getting Steel often involved a tremendous amount of heartache in Ranked, Clan Battles.  Keep piling up the Steel, don't blow money for the sake of blowing money.  Who knows what kind of Steel Ships are coming down the line by the end of the year or the next?

 

Why give up precious Steel for an existing ship you don't care much for?

This. However, bear in mind the steel inflation phenomena foreshadowed by neutrashimy... 

Steel, recognized as a precious resource, has become a little easier to accumulate and it seems prices are being ratcheted up as a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
276
[NOCAP]
[NOCAP]
Members
331 posts
20,064 battles

I ended up getting the Flint today. I had my first day of games in it, and love it! It is a better Atlanta, without a doubt. It would be like arguing the Mahan with a 25s radar, is better than Benson with smoke. It's that much of a difference in play style. 

 

I totally get the whole Radar > Smoke preference for most players. I am one of them, which is why I was on the fence about the Flint, "its just a atlanta with smoke...whoopie." 

 

However, the fact that I can spray smoke for 30s...then hide in it for over a minute, launch torps up to 9.2km away, had much better AA capabilities makes it behave very differently. While Atlanta is more conservative, "stick with the group" or "hug that island waifu!", the Flint doesn't need to do either and can comfortably venture out on its own like a regular destroyer. The only big fear you have is Torpedoes while you are smoked, or Temporary Radar from ships. (both can be avoided with careful positioning)

 

I still LIKE the Atlanta a lot, and always will. However the Flint does add something completely different, and enough difference that I'd recommend getting it if: 

1) You already have the Atlanta, but you want something much more aggressive

2) Want more AA daka, daka

3) Like 9.2km torps over 4.5km torps. 

4) Like Smoke over Radar

5) You like Atlanta anyways.

 

Hope this helps others in the future!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×