You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GrayPanther2018

Mutsuki vs Minkaze

12 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
1,703 posts
7,043 battles

I am thinking of taking advantage of the IJN sale and moving up on DDs.

Which is the better of the two? 

Looks like a choice of more guns, Minkaze or better torps more AA but half the main guns, Mutsuki.

I am leaning towards the Mutsuki. 

Thanks for the imput.

[CK5]
Members
1,462 posts
15,528 battles

Neither one of them is particularly fun to play and most people rush through them to get to the Fubuki and Hatsuharu (and a lot of people have little regard for those as well).  Pick your poison.

Edited by PrairiePlayer

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,000 posts
5,814 battles

The question you should ask is which IJN DD branch do you want to go up? Minekaze and Mutsuki are ships to grind past, not to keep.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
53 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Neither one of them is particularly fun to play and most people rush through them...

Makes me sad thinking of the beauty that Minekaze once was.  Not many people remember that little monster.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles

I got a Hatsuharu as part of the grindapalooza surrounding the Prinz Eitel Friedrich last Christmas/New Year. I ditched the Minekaze immediately, a fraction of the way into the grind.

Ditched the Mutsuki too, shortly after unlocking the Fubuki.

Sadly, they need concealment and a 10 point captain to play advantageously, and I didn't have the captains to spare.

Minekaze leads up to the Akizuki/Kitikaze/Harugumo gunboat line. If that's what you want, Minekaze is your choice. If you want to drive a Shimakaze one day, you should choose the Mutsuki.

The Hatsuharu turned out to be a fun ship, thanks to a good number of how-to videos provided by @Destroyer_KuroshioKai on YouTube. He also has vids on other Japanese destroyers if you want to know what lies in your more distant future.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PHD]
Members
1,703 posts
7,043 battles

Thanks for the information.  I have a almost or there 10 point captain moving up the line, my highest IJN DD now is the tier III. I move up tiers slowly in PvE with little interest in above tier VII, at this time.

My main ship is the Furutaka so I may move up to the Aoba too, different higher point captain. 

But with things like they are now I don't know if the mid tier IJN DD line has much of a future. But we'll see. 

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,460 posts
13,610 battles
1 hour ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Thanks for the information.  I have a almost or there 10 point captain moving up the line, my highest IJN DD now is the tier III. I move up tiers slowly in PvE with little interest in above tier VII, at this time.

My main ship is the Furutaka so I may move up to the Aoba too, different higher point captain. 

But with things like they are now I don't know if the mid tier IJN DD line has much of a future. But we'll see. 

Most DDs really need a 10 point captain ASAP to be effective.  If it were me I would use any spare FXP/ECXP to move the captain closer to that objective.  At that point you can play the torp boats with 85-90% performance as a 19 point captain. 

Take a look at my IJN DD play list.  Not only do I believe the IJN torp boats are alive and well, but are one of the best DD lines in the game.  Mutsuki is probably the low point, but shes better at T5 now than she was when I played her (back when you needed 15 points of CE).  If you run into a wall trying to figure a ship out PM me.  I'll either have you send me a replay, or link you to some videos that might help.

[PHD]
Members
1,703 posts
7,043 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Most DDs really need a 10 point captain ASAP to be effective.  If it were me I would use any spare FXP/ECXP to move the captain closer to that objective.  At that point you can play the torp boats with 85-90% performance as a 19 point captain. 

Take a look at my IJN DD play list.  Not only do I believe the IJN torp boats are alive and well, but are one of the best DD lines in the game.  Mutsuki is probably the low point, but shes better at T5 now than she was when I played her (back when you needed 15 points of CE).  If you run into a wall trying to figure a ship out PM me.  I'll either have you send me a replay, or link you to some videos that might help.

Thank you for the offer.

It may be a while before I play much. I have to get my PC back from the shop later this week before I can get into the game. (WoWS was hanging up loading a match )

I think the sale runs until the 5th but I work Fri through Mondays with little time to spare . So I hope to get the ships Thursday. 

I will probably go with the torp ships as I like the slower shot planning. 

Historically IJN ships had poor AA, with a few exceptions. But it seems WG has helped them some.

Thanks again. 

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,460 posts
13,610 battles

Revisiting a ship I detested when she was at T6 and CE required a 15 point captain.  The concealment will win you lots of games when you place yourself as a spotter in front of your team.  The 62 knot 8km torps are fantastic at this tier as well.  The guns however are a low point, but not useless.  To note, this game was a T7 battle, and was done with a only 10 point captain, but I probably will be tricking the ship out at some point.

[SYN]
Members
1,373 posts
10,638 battles
On 4/29/2019 at 11:03 AM, Super_Dreadnought said:

The question you should ask is which IJN DD branch do you want to go up? Minekaze and Mutsuki are ships to grind past, not to keep.

The Mutsuki is a blast. I put 14pt Dasha on her when we had the free training. 

Mutsuki and Hatsuharu are my faves. 

Just get out of the gun habit.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,007 posts
10,436 battles

Honestly, which to choose depends on where you want to be at Tier 8. Do you want a torpedo boat (Kagero) or a gunboat that plays like a super-light cruiser without a citadel (Akizuki)?

I've played both Tier 5s and found the Minekaze to be more comfortable. It has (slightly) better guns and I liked the flexibility of having the three double torp launchers vs. the two triples. I started grinding both at the same time, and am still grinding the Mutsuki alongside the Shiratsuyu.

Edited by Nevermore135

[WORX]
Members
11,478 posts
19,211 battles

If you love torps, then I recommend the FUBUKI

IF you lov dakka dakka ships then the Huragumo is your line.

AA def DDs, dont go IJN...

GL/HF