Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
QQ_Whine_Moar

A perfect example of why you should take evasive maneuvers

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,907 battles

Just had this match where we were going to lose. Myself and a DD were all that was left on our team. The enemy had a half health Zao and their Hak left.

The Zao had just taken the third cap..so we had none, but were ahead on points. Our DD was being chased by their Hak and was in danger of being killed.

The Zao had spotted me, was shooting me,  and was heading right at me..maybe 14 km away.  I scored 2 citadels on him with dive bombers simply because he didn't bother to change course or evade at all. His AA took out a large part of my first squadron, wiping out one attack run. I relaunched another DB squad at diminished strength, but he continued sailing  in a dead straight line, allowing me to approach from the bow and drop bombs right into his smokestack with zero adjustment necessary. Had he turned or anything I would have probably overpenned him plus his AA would have done more damage.  The guy clearly did well, yet let me blow him away because he didn't bother to even try to dodge. This is a prime example a winnable game that slipped away because players didn't do one of the basic things ....not sail in a straight line. A great many players being killed by CVs , or anything else, die from simply not trying to evade. 

Evading can definitely help.  Last night in my Shima I made a CV miss his rockets because I zigged when he zagged, otherwise I would have died. Trying to evade isn't a guaranteed escape, but sailing in a straight line is all but assured to end badly for you, no matter what ship you sail. 

lol.PNG

  • Cool 7
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,907 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Snatching-defeat.png?resize=672,372

I have been on both sides of this many times.

Same..lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,364 posts

I was in a T4 carrier yesterday, in a random, and I failed to even scratch the paint on any of the 3 red DDs in the game, because they dodged and maneuvered to make me miss.  Thankfully, the team took care of the problem when I circled back and kept them lit after missing.  

The only kills I got were a cruiser that was obviously deep in his shooting scope, didn't change course at all, with rocket planes coming in;  he was low health already, and then he was dead, and a BB that charged the carriers.  He shot at the other CV first, and the two of us, along with a Wyoming, took him apart.  I got the final torpedo in, but it was definitely a joint project.  

Of course, while the BB charged the carriers, the rest of team pretty much killed the rest of the reds, since we had already killed the DDs.

Again, I didn't pick on DDs because I was in a CV.  I pick on DDs because often, killing their DDs while ours live, wins games.

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,841
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles
19 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Again, I didn't pick on DDs because I was in a CV.  I pick on DDs because often, killing their DDs while ours live, wins games.

This, many times over, the team without its DD's is a team fighting from its back foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,907 battles
20 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This, many times over, the team without its DD's is a team fighting from its back foot.

Absolutely. It amazes me how more teams don't prioritize DD protection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,841
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles
32 minutes ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

Absolutely. It amazes me how more teams don't prioritize DD protection. 

It amazes me how many DD's go off on their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,907 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It amazes me how many DD's go off on their own.

ha.. true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
197 posts
8,268 battles

I was in a Mahan DD a few weeks ago, in a losing battle.  My torp range is 9.2km, but I did see a hurt red cruiser beating it back to home base...  not changing course or otherwise turning.  So I threw out 10 "what the heck" torps at 8.5km, then turned back to my team.  To my complete surprise, I sunk the cruiser!  There was a loooong delay before they hit, I was already focused on my next move, and bam.    I bet that captain was surprised too!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,907 battles
22 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

I was in a Mahan DD a few weeks ago, in a losing battle.  My torp range is 9.2km, but I did see a hurt red cruiser beating it back to home base...  not changing course or otherwise turning.  So I threw out 10 "what the heck" torps at 8.5km, then turned back to my team.  To my complete surprise, I sunk the cruiser!  There was a loooong delay before they hit, I was already focused on my next move, and bam.    I bet that captain was surprised too!

I had a similar experience when I first got the Shima. I though the 20K torps were interesting(ive since realized the are crap) and launched on 2 BBs spotted by a DD. It took forever but one BB never altered course in 20km..lol. BOOM!!!!!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[D33P6]
Members
563 posts
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

It amazes me how many DD's go off on their own.

And proceed to be focused by a CV because they made themselves a very easy target.  Once they are dead they spend rest of the match complaining that CV's are OP.

 

 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
4 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

I was in a T4 carrier yesterday, in a random, and I failed to even scratch the paint on any of the 3 red DDs in the game, because they dodged and maneuvered to make me miss.  Thankfully, the team took care of the problem when I circled back and kept them lit after missing.  

The only kills I got were a cruiser that was obviously deep in his shooting scope, didn't change course at all, with rocket planes coming in;  he was low health already, and then he was dead, and a BB that charged the carriers.  He shot at the other CV first, and the two of us, along with a Wyoming, took him apart.  I got the final torpedo in, but it was definitely a joint project.  

Of course, while the BB charged the carriers, the rest of team pretty much killed the rest of the reds, since we had already killed the DDs.

Again, I didn't pick on DDs because I was in a CV.  I pick on DDs because often, killing their DDs while ours live, wins games.

 

 

That happened almost every game now. People turn broadside to hit a cv while getting killed. Or cv chasing and spending all game doing it. Yes they get you but it takes over 10 min then the game is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

It amuses me how many people complain that there's no counter play to CVs, then proceed to neither utilize the sector system, nor even attempt to WASD. It is just about as silly as the straight line sailors that gripe that torpedoes are too powerful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,907 battles
15 minutes ago, Frenotx said:

It amuses me how many people complain that there's no counter play to CVs, then proceed to neither utilize the sector system, nor even attempt to WASD. It is just about as silly as the straight line sailors that gripe that torpedoes are too powerful.

You must be kidding...its all WGs fault...and those pesky OP CV  players.. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
367 posts
10,453 battles
1 hour ago, HeadSplit120 said:

And proceed to be focused by a CV because they made themselves a very easy target.  Once they are dead they spend rest of the match complaining that CV's are OP.

I'm always going alone in my DD and I'm fine if the CVs come after me. I was in a game with my Minsk moving towards B and a Graf Zepplin and Furious both came after me on Shards. I took a little damage while evading and when I saw they were coming back around for another pass, I popped smoke. They both stuck around trying to bait me and I figured that was a good trade because while they were focused on me, my team overwhelmed A cap and were holding them off at C cap because they didn't have to worry about skycancer.  And by the time my smoke ran out, a CA came over to provide some AA support as I shot out of the smoke towards safety. I eventually died, but that was because I didn't realize that GZ had 9km secondaries, not because of the planes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,001
[RLGN]
Members
14,297 posts
25,169 battles
9 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

The WASD hack is quite useful. 

As I proved against two Rangers on Strait Friday night.

Dodge, dodge, dodge etc... Slowly taking misc damage.

Oh, they eventually killed me, but only after nearly everything else was dead, and I killed one of the Rangers that was low health, with ELEVEN K rainbow shots because it was sitting still in a cap...

Was the last destroyer alive, killed two of the Red destroyers myself, (torped one in smoke, gun kill the other... Destroyer is still another destroyer's worst enemy,) and of course, a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,573
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
3 hours ago, Frenotx said:

It amuses me how many people complain that there's no counter play to CVs, then proceed to neither utilize the sector system, nor even attempt to WASD. It is just about as silly as the straight line sailors that gripe that torpedoes are too powerful.

Yeah, but to be fair on the AA sector system it's currently so lackluster that I seriously forgot it even existed for a solid month. I only remembered it when someone brought up reworking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles
7 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Yeah, but to be fair on the AA sector system it's currently so lackluster that I seriously forgot it even existed for a solid month. I only remembered it when someone brought up reworking it.

It certainly has room for improvement, but it's a tool in the toolbox. It makes a big difference on DDs, and can make some cruisers' AA pretty disgusting. A lot of people don't seem to realize that when you start switching to the other side, the initial side stays reinforced right up to the moment the switch happens. With good timing you can start your switch while planes are still approaching, such that the side switches right as the planes pass over.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[D33P6]
Members
563 posts
On 4/28/2019 at 6:23 PM, GambitHG said:

I'm always going alone in my DD and I'm fine if the CVs come after me. I was in a game with my Minsk moving towards B and a Graf Zepplin and Furious both came after me on Shards. I took a little damage while evading and when I saw they were coming back around for another pass, I popped smoke. They both stuck around trying to bait me and I figured that was a good trade because while they were focused on me, my team overwhelmed A cap and were holding them off at C cap because they didn't have to worry about skycancer.  And by the time my smoke ran out, a CA came over to provide some AA support as I shot out of the smoke towards safety. I eventually died, but that was because I didn't realize that GZ had 9km secondaries, not because of the planes. 

I have no problem with DD's going off alone as long as they are willing to accept the possible consequences of doing it.

 

You're right... I mentioned in a previous post but regardless of which ship I'm in if the CV's are focused on me, I make it my primary goal to survive as long as I can.  The longer they spend time on me, less time on my team.  I had a game in G kurfurst and the CV spent about 8-10 minutes trying to kill me.  I didn't do much damage during the game but killed a decent number of aircraft and my team won.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,702
[INTEL]
Members
13,054 posts
36,005 battles
On 4/29/2019 at 3:53 AM, BrushWolf said:

It amazes me how many DD's go off on their own.

Weird that. It's almost like they want to play DD or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,702
[INTEL]
Members
13,054 posts
36,005 battles
On 4/29/2019 at 11:17 AM, Frenotx said:

It certainly has room for improvement, but it's a tool in the toolbox. It makes a big difference on DDs, and can make some cruisers' AA pretty disgusting. A lot of people don't seem to realize that when you start switching to the other side, the initial side stays reinforced right up to the moment the switch happens. With good timing you can start your switch while planes are still approaching, such that the side switches right as the planes pass over.

Thanks for that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,841
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles
Just now, Taichunger said:

Weird that. It's almost like they want to play DD or something. 

There is a time to go solo and a time to group up and the beginning of a match is not the time to go solo. Later on while it can still be chancy is when it can be considered. It is amazing how DD players that will spend 10 minutes getting into position don't have the patience to wait for five minutes at the beginning of the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,147
[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,707 posts
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

There is a time to go solo and a time to group up and the beginning of a match is not the time to go solo. Later on while it can still be chancy is when it can be considered. It is amazing how DD players that will spend 10 minutes getting into position don't have the patience to wait for five minutes at the beginning of the match.

The average mindset of destroyers I run into tends to be 'Destroyers should be able to do whatever they want, when they want and everyone else should just deal with it'. Those are the players who scream bloody murder about radar or aircraft.

I've also lost track of how many DDs I stumbled across while scouting that gave their position away because they left their AA on. It's like they are unaware their AA range is, in most cases, twice their aerial detection range and that leaving it on just puts a massive bullseye on them for a carrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×