You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wazii

possible false positive with proton/wine for linux being detected as a illigal mod

13 comments in this topic

[KWA]
[KWA]
Members
67 posts

anyone else got a e-mail saying to uninstall illegal mods for running the game mod-less on linux using proton/wine? (i am on pop! os using lutris)

(there tools for running windows games on linux)

it works pretty well besides the fact you have to rebind shift to something else as it acts like if your double tapping shift zooming in and out unless you hold shift for a few seconds.

in the past i used to use aslain mod pack back when i was on windows but i don't think it the case as i have not played on windows sense then. and i was under the impression aslain mod pack was using only legal mods.

i just want to confirm this fear so i don't get myself banned  playing this game on linux and instead hope for a official linux version if it ever happens and if it is indeed the case to bring it up to wargaming attention so they can hopefully fix it so it won't detect it as a mod. (or better yet make a official linux version >_>)

[WOOK4]
Beta Testers
2 posts
6,004 battles

Just got it as well, play WoWs via Lutris.  Same install I've been playing with for months.  Even better, I don't even have any mods installed as I just recently started playing again and haven't gone through the trouble of looking up Aslain's pack for this version.

Wargaming, seriously, sending out ominous notices of potential banning from a no-reply email address is a crappy thing to do.  And given your flagging player numbers on NA do you really want to toss out the Linux players and make the problem worse?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,560 battles

Just read a thread where someone got that same message. Might want to contact Support and ask what is going on. I am using Mac with the Wine wrapper and have had nothing so far. 

Members
863 posts
39 minutes ago, wazii said:

anyone else got a e-mail saying to uninstall illegal mods for running the game mod-less on linux using proton/wine? (i am on pop! os using lutris)

(there tools for running windows games on linux)

it works pretty well besides the fact you have to rebind shift to something else as it acts like if your double tapping shift zooming in and out unless you hold shift for a few seconds.

in the past i used to use aslain mod pack back when i was on windows but i don't think it the case as i have not played on windows sense then. and i was under the impression aslain mod pack was using only legal mods.

i just want to confirm this fear so i don't get myself banned  playing this game on linux and instead hope for a official linux version if it ever happens and if it is indeed the case to bring it up to wargaming attention so they can hopefully fix it so it won't detect it as a mod. (or better yet make a official linux version >_>)

27 minutes ago, GreydMiyu said:

Just got it as well, play WoWs via Lutris.  Same install I've been playing with for months.  Even better, I don't even have any mods installed as I just recently started playing again and haven't gone through the trouble of looking up Aslain's pack for this version.

Wargaming, seriously, sending out ominous notices of potential banning from a no-reply email address is a crappy thing to do.  And given your flagging player numbers on NA do you really want to toss out the Linux players and make the problem worse?

Just a thought , have ya'll tried running WOWS with the 32 bit client ? If you launch from the Wargaming center , clicking on the little chevron on the play button gives you the option to run the 32 bit client . The change to 64 bit might be the cause of the issue . I hope they come out with a native client for Linux myself .

[AVI]
Beta Testers
1 post
3,741 battles

Just got the email myself too. Absolute joke considering how many people I know who play this game on Linux and who all also got the email.

They need to seriously sort this out ASAP instead of giving the Linux community the middle finger. I've been playing since closed beta and have bought quite a bit of stuff for the game but won't be supporting it if they're threatening to ban me for wanting to play the game unmodded and vanilla on Linux (only operating system I have now)

• Cool 1

[KWA]
[KWA]
Members
67 posts

i tried  creating a ticket got a automated reply saying that i got a warning for illegal mods and it was closed on the spot. so i tried opening a second one under a different category.

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

Hey folks!  Unfortunately at this time our team is unable to provide direct support for Linux systems.  The team is aware of and looking into issues which may affect players using both Linux and Proton.  While we continue our investigation we ask you consider finding an interim alternative solution for launching the game.  We very much appreciate your patience and understanding. 

Members
863 posts
12 hours ago, Radar_X said:

Hey folks!  Unfortunately at this time our team is unable to provide direct support for Linux systems.  The team is aware of and looking into issues which may affect players using both Linux and Proton.  While we continue our investigation we ask you consider finding an interim alternative solution for launching the game.  We very much appreciate your patience and understanding. 

How will the people on linux know it's safe to play again without risking an undeserved ban ? Also asking some linux users to run the game in windows is akin to asking them to pour gasoline over their heads and strike a match , it goes against the grain for them and you'll lose them as players .

• Cool 1

[WOOK4]
Beta Testers
2 posts
6,004 battles

They have lost me as a player.  I'm not going to risk hundreds of hours of progress (much of it on premium time), the plethora of premium ships I have, including my AKBeta which I could *never* get back.  I'm not asking for WG to create and support a Linux client, just recognize that we're going to be playing it under WINE (be it base or Proton) and not ban us.

• Boring 1

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles
5 hours ago, GreydMiyu said:

They have lost me as a player.  I'm not going to risk hundreds of hours of progress (much of it on premium time), the plethora of premium ships I have, including my AKBeta which I could *never* get back.  I'm not asking for WG to create and support a Linux client, just recognize that we're going to be playing it under WINE (be it base or Proton) and not ban us.

We do understand the concern and I'm sorry this has become an issue for you.  As I stated the team is looking into these issues to determine a way which will allow you to continue using the OS of your choice.  For now we do ask you refrain from it until this work is complete. 

[KWA]
[KWA]
Members
67 posts

Edit: no delete function? delete this post if possible.

Edited by wazii

[KWA]
[KWA]
Members
67 posts
12 hours ago, Radar_X said:

We do understand the concern and I'm sorry this has become an issue for you.  As I stated the team is looking into these issues to determine a way which will allow you to continue using the OS of your choice.  For now we do ask you refrain from it until this work is complete. 

so how do we know when we can start playing again?

edit: and will you guys removing the flags for "illegal mods" that we received when the issue is resolved? or is this a sign that we will forever be at risk of losing everything and that in the future we may randomly get flagged after some update again and be banned for multiple "illegal mods use" even tough it would just be your anti cheat picking up proton/wine again?

Edited by wazii

Members
2 posts
10,108 battles

I got the very same email claiming a mod to the launcher I told them it was most likely Linux where I played the game back some time ago they had a Linux version with launcher but they decided to drop it . I deleted my acc. then after a few weeks I reinstalled it and found out that the steam (Valve) version has a virus med.-high risk Avast antivirus ID ed the DLL and the virus in the download . It seems funny that files in the steam version was infected but not the Windows version in there own launcher it could be a false positive but it concerning none the less . In my next pc build I plan to use Linux only so this leaves this game out in the cold unless they fix the code hope this helps out with that end because Vulcan drivers and Proton in Steam are taking over big AAA gaming and will most likely be the leader in the future of gaming Linux. Another thing to note when they released it on steam when asked why they didn't move the game onto steam they replied the code was written long ago and could not be used on steam for some odd reason I forget now but here the thing I can login in on there launcher and run the steam version now the advantage to this is I don't have to download the game again to run either one so it kinda pushes you toward using there launcher why? I would rather use steam and launch the game that way and it seems they both work with the same files so I don't see there logic about the old code will not work on steam for me the fewer the launchers I got clogging up disk space the better and this one seems to have issues.

Edited by blackdragon175