You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

What are the chances of bringing back "Stealth Firing"?

71 comments in this topic

[MHG]
Members
883 posts
5,598 battles

Now that CV's can attack with no ability to return fire and DD's are having a hard time, what are the chances WG brings back Stealth Firing?

I joined after they eliminated it so I do not know how much of an issue it was.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 14

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,405 battles
3 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Now that CV's can attack with no ability to return fire and DD's are having a hard time, what are the chances WG brings back Stealth Firing?

Division with a destroyer with smoke skills.

Coordinate positions and consumable timings. Voila...

You dont need OWSF to win.

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
28,089 battles

Zero. Even if it would make Gremyashy great again :Smile_trollface:

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles

No chance. It was horrible to deal with much much worse than even a double CV focus attack.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
16,001 posts
12,803 battles

If you want to stealth fire, you will have to pick up CVs. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
25,625 posts
19,737 battles
19 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

So did I, but all my YouTube watching indicated that it was a hell of an issue, and everyone except the owners of the ships that could do it was happy it was gone.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles

It's never coming back.  It was a major problem back in the days.

An old thread by LWM talking about the transition going away from Stealth Fire and some reasons why it was getting yanked.

Stealth Fire was primarily a DD & Cruiser thing.

Take Full Stealth Build.  Get as good range as you can.  Your guns when fired didn't blossom your ship's detection to max range like it does now.  Even IJN DDs were in on this as it was a means to get steady damage because torpedoes are unreliable, i.e. even the Unicums on great torpedo DDs often get single digit hit % with them.

Example:  I still remember playing Stock Colorado and getting Stealth Fired by 2 Crusiers, an Ibuki and Zao (yes, we had +/-3 MM back in the day).  It was open water and I could not spot them  They were staying at about 15km+ or something like that.  I was not fast enough to push into them and detect them.  I was not fast enough to run away and hide.  I could see the shells flying at me and that was it.

Example:  I remember watching a Montana get picked apart by 2 Stealth Firing Gearings in open water.  Nothing Montana could do just like in my case, he was the last ship of his group.

Here is a Zao video from 2016 showing the player Stealth Fire against a DM at 12.8km and could not be spotted by the DM.

Different ships had better Stealth Fire windows.  Zao was a crazy beast in those days.

Stealth Fire isn't coming back.  Many players out there already are confounded with the current system of normal Concealment Mechanics.  Put Stealth Fire back into this and they're going to go ballistic.

Beta Testers
1,830 posts

try and imagine being a colorado, with 22 Kts speed, trying to catch up with and guess where a 35Kt Kiev is, all while being spam HEd, for 10 minutes at a time.

[COB]
[COB]
Beta Testers
884 posts
6,687 battles
38 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Something you may not know since you were not here for stealth firing....the anti CV fury isn't the first time such tears have been shed in wows. Stealth firing caused a ton of crying and angst too. It's won't be coming back....lol. 

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

This was considered a balance problem by the team and corrected awhile ago.  There aren't any plans to bring it back, however we do understand the concerns around CV/DD balance.  This just isn't the way to make adjustments. 

• Cool 1

[MHG]
Members
883 posts
5,598 battles
42 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Take Full Stealth Build.  Get as good range as you can.  Your guns when fired didn't blossom your ship's detection to max range like it does now.  Even IJN DDs were in on this as it was a means to get steady damage because torpedoes are unreliable, i.e. even the Unicums on great torpedo DDs often get single digit hit % with them.

If not full stealth, how about a reduction in the time from when the bloom goes away based or linked to the size of your ship?

[D-DAY]
Members
7,163 posts
1 hour ago, SJ_Sailer said:

:Smile_amazed:!

Return to a system that allowed a DD with its punishing guns fire at a BB with armour the rounds ping off and heals that erase fire - without the BB being allowed to fire back - no.

Much better that they replaced OWSF with a bloom mechanic that allowed multiple ships, with big guns, to fire on the DD with low armour and in the main, no heals. Oh, and because of range it can't hit back either.

Neither makes sense, yet one stayed; wonder why. :Smile_smile:

• Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[SYN]
Members
16,001 posts
12,803 battles
50 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

This was considered a balance problem by the team and corrected awhile ago.  There aren't any plans to bring it back, however we do understand the concerns around CV/DD balance.  This just isn't the way to make adjustments. 

In that case, I find it interesting that CVs can stealth fire.

Members
202 posts
365 battles
16 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

If not full stealth, how about a reduction in the time from when the bloom goes away based or linked to the size of your ship?

cause the BB bias will accuse you of being a DD bias'er -- and then its off to the races given the way this forum work.   But it could be a  clever way for WG to shift attention away from the current issues with WoWs SPGs  and get it back to good old fashioned BB hate threads about DDs.  

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,409 posts
13,102 battles
1 hour ago, Radar_X said:

Unless you introduce another class that remedies that balance. :fish_boom:

Edited by Crokodone

[LOU1]
Members
4,273 posts
13,131 battles

You can actually still stealth fire, but it is situational.  I set myself up kiting in front of the target ship just beyond my main battery range from the target, travelling at about the same speed.  I also have to make sure there are no enemies within my main battery range that could detect me.  Then I fire into their path of travel.  This is especially effective with USN cruiser shells because you can have a couple of volleys in the air.  In order for this to work, the target has to be travelling in a straight line at the same speed.  Suffice it to say, I rarely maintain the same course or speed in any of my ships.

The easier method is to be out of line-of-sight of a target ship spotted by someone else and firing on them.  You can use land or a convenient intervening smoke cloud.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[MHG]
Members
883 posts
5,598 battles
2 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

You can actually still stealth fire, but it is situational.  I set myself up kiting in front of the target ship just beyond my main battery range from the target, travelling at about the same speed.  I also have to make sure there are no enemies within my main battery range that could detect me.  Then I fire into their path of travel.  This is especially effective with USN cruiser shells because you can have a couple of volleys in the air.  In order for this to work, the target has to be travelling in a straight line at the same speed.  Suffice it to say, I rarely maintain the same course or speed in any of my ships.

My Sims has some pretty high arcs.  Got any replays on that?

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,405 battles
2 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

The easier method is to be out of line-of-sight of a target ship spotted by someone else and firing on them.  You can use land or a convenient intervening smoke cloud.

This is fairly common and can be infuriating...and is one of the reasons the rework is a good thing. Airplanes counter this because of their ability to scout 'around' or 'over' obstacles.

Before the rework, ships could just HE spam from behind islands or team laid smoke with not much counter.

Members
5,789 posts
11,624 battles

In the last 2 weeks I have keen burnt down in my BBs and Atago B, by Woosters, Des Moines, Harugamos, Minotours, etc... outside of detection range and not spotted - so it is still there and well. No need to bring back more and the idea that CVs can't by hit/sunk/damaged is just silly as it is incorrect.

Edited by CylonRed

[LOU1]
Members
4,273 posts
13,131 battles
3 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

My Sims has some pretty high arcs.  Got any replays on that?

They would be from older patches, when I was more into kiting.  Also known as how to grind a 19-point Commander in a Marblehead without being vaporized.  It takes a bit of setting up or amazing positional luck, so I only do it now when we are down and I need to take out a bigger/stronger ship a tier or two higher.