You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landsraad

Stronk Russian Battleships: First Impressions

68 comments in this topic

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,189 posts
4,996 battles

Well comrades, the day has come and a portion of the Russian battleship line has been unleashed upon the unsuspecting masses of World of Warships, many of whom are too busy arguing about carriers to notice. At least that's the only reason I can think of for why here I am, at 11pm, the one to bring this subject up.  I mean come on, I've already seen Sinops and Izmails sailing around; I've gotten a few games myself in Pyotr Velikiy. But then I suppose it is only day one of glorious Russian battleship roll-out.

So with that in mind, what is everyone thinking of them? How does this frankly rather odd set of traits translate into the game?

Me personally I'm loving Pyotr Velikiy so far. It's like a Kongo, but crossed with October Revolution (I'm not spending five minutes remembering how to spell that). Fast, good guns, surprisingly potent secondaries, and very light on her feet. Then again the main problems are that slow gun traverse (at least it seems slow to me) and reload, you've really got to pre-aim and make every salvo count to do well with these ships. And unlike literally every other non-premium in the game that also applies to your DamCon consumable. The quick reload is handy, but limiting the charges seems to really discourage you from pushing early so that you can save up your repairs for catching someone off guard toward the end of the match. This can lead to a bit of awkwardness where the ship feels like it NEEDS to be aggressive thanks to that speed and excellent bow armor, but you really have to hold yourself back lest you get focused down and either deleted or near useless the rest of the match. I'm also not too sure on the gunnery. Don't get me wrong, I've had good luck with it, but that's the problem: I keep having GOOD luck with it despite the fact that supposedly those guns are supposed to be garbage at range. Methinks that special Russian aiming was overstated a bit at the longer ranges.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,699 posts
14,084 battles

I should complete 1 or 2 of the 3 missions that I got in the next scenario battle. I was granted the tier 5, 6, and 7 missions. I plan to grind the tier 7 in operation Narai to get the XP for the tier 8.

The Lazo did quite satisfactory in Narai, which is the only battle I have done with her. Her guns are a lot faster (MPS) than Boise.

shot-19_04.25_21_03.37-0630.thumb.jpg.011f70cf9a5774a792aced92fa648cc0.jpg

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[CRMSN]
Members
8,252 posts
8,702 battles

I'm concerned. I was afraid that these ships would somehow magically be stronger, even though they never existed, and many were literal fantasies, than all the real ships in the game. PV sadly fulfills that fear.

Now, tbf, I haven't played it, however, when comparing it to the ships in its tier, and the ships it will face, it is statistically better than them in most areas, in many cases, all areas. For crying out loud, guns that didn't even exist for the RU navy in 1911 somehow have better dispersion than my Monty with two accuracy upgrades. It has wildly better traverse than the RN, USN, and IJN BBs at T4, 5, and 6, and considering how many of those ships have long reloads, 33 seconds is a luxury. It has the same secondary range as Konig, and from appearances has the armor to back up it being a brawler, without the poor dispersion the KM gets to justify being a brawling line. Faster DC, faster RP, good alpha on the HE. It really looks like they took all the things that were good for the other lines and crammed them into one line.

I get that there's national pride, and I get that this is an arcade game, but, seriously? And people wonder why many yell "Russianbias!"? For sure, I'll be playing them, I like winning, and this thing looks like it came with winning built into the hull, along with everything else.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,962 posts
10,643 battles

Well, I'm glad they got rid of the deep water radar. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles

I got Tier V Pyotr Velikiy, testing out in Co-op and comparing her to some of my other Tier V BBs.

The ship is impressive, it becomes apparent as soon as you sail her.

SPEED & HANDLING

26.5kts, which already puts her very highly among Tier V BBs.

Bretagne, NY, TX 21kts

Okt Rev 23kts

Kongo 30kts

Caesar 27kts

Kongo and Caesar are faster.  However, Peter has a very large 800m turning circle radius.  Her rudder shift is decent but she'll take some time completing a turn.

CONCEALMENT

With concealment camo on and no Concealment Expert trait, she's surprisingly stealthy.  Normally I'm used to my RU ships having sh*tty concealment but Peter is an exception, which is funny since she's a BB.

With concealment camo, no CE trait:  13.3km detection range

With concealment camo & CE trait:  11.9km... The same as Caesar.

Texas with concealment camo & CE trait:  14km.

GUNS:  Only been using them at 15km or less and they're nice so far.  In this parameter it reminds me of how Konig and Caesar's guns handle.

LfqfTcN.jpg

Without GFCS2 module researched and installed max gun range is 14.6km.

SECONDARIES:  I don't have a Secondary Spec.  But to put up some values and showing how her the guns are arrayed:

9wQEwsJ.jpg

The guns mounted in the hull are the 130mm guns.  She has 16 total of these things.  The 100mm guns are in dual gun shielded turrets.  There are four of them and you can see two of them midway in the superstructure.

The arrangement made me immediately think of Warspite who has a bunch of guns mounted in the hull like Peter.  Warspite can assume a pretty nice, aggressive angled profile and still have a lot of the secondaries firing at you.  Peter looks to be the same.

ARMOR:

u60WXRa.jpg

fzaYjM3.jpg

AwaYng4.jpg

HE Spammers, have fun trying to get pens on this thing once the Superstructure has been Damage Saturated.

AP?  Peter can face tank Yamato-class 460mm AP.  The 75mm bow and 127mm fore end armor belt laughs in Russian.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

No other line of Battleships ships can say that.  The vulnerability though is AP to the sides.  She's better protected than NY from the sides.  Konig's thick slab of an armor belt and low Citadel level make her more forgiving from side AP attacks.

Note the angled 50mm deck in the second armor viewer picture.  The 250mm armor belt shouldn't be a problem to punch through, but that angled deck may possibly foil you if you're aiming for waterline Citadel shots.  Note however that the top of that 50mm angled deck stops halfway.  Above that is a flat 50mm surface that goes straight up.  So... Given the chance, in a short ranged fight, try to aim a bit above the waterline?  Maybe that will help against her.

Forgot to talk about the TDS.  It's very low, second lowest among Tier V Battleships at 13%.  Only one worse is Bretagne at 10%.  If you are eating any Torps, it's going to hurt bad.

Kongo 25%

Caesar 30%

New York 28%

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[CRMSN]
Members
8,252 posts
8,702 battles
23 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I got Tier V Pyotr Velikiy, testing out in Co-op and comparing her to some of my other Tier V BBs.

The ship is impressive, it becomes apparent as soon as you sail her.

SPEED & HANDLING

26.5kts, which already puts her very highly among Tier V BBs.

Bretagne, NY, TX 21kts

Okt Rev 23kts

Kongo 30kts

Caesar 27kts

Kongo and Caesar are faster.  However, Peter has a very large 800m turning circle radius.  Her rudder shift is decent but she'll take some time completing a turn.

CONCEALMENT

With concealment camo on and no Concealment Expert trait, she's surprisingly stealthy.  Normally I'm used to my RU ships having sh*tty concealment but Peter is an exception, which is funny since she's a BB.

With concealment camo, no CE trait:  13.3km detection range

With concealment camo & CE trait:  11.9km... The same as Caesar.

Texas with concealment camo & CE trait:  14km.

GUNS:  Only been using them at 15km or less and they're nice so far.  In this parameter it reminds me of how Konig and Caesar's guns handle.

SECONDARIES:  I don't have a Secondary Spec.  But to put up some values and showing how her the guns are arrayed:

9wQEwsJ.jpg

The guns mounted in the hull are the 130mm guns.  She has 16 total of these things.  The 100mm guns are in dual gun shielded turrets.  There are four of them and you can see two of them midway in the superstructure.

The arrangement made me immediately think of Warspite who has a bunch of guns mounted in the hull like Peter.  Warspite can assume a pretty nice, aggressive angled profile and still have a lot of the secondaries firing at you.  Peter looks to be the same.

ARMOR:

u60WXRa.jpg

fzaYjM3.jpg

AwaYng4.jpg

HE Spammers, have fun trying to get pens on this thing once the Superstructure has been Damage Saturated.

AP?  Peter can face tank Yamato-class 460mm AP.  The 75mm bow and 127mm fore end armor belt laughs in Russian.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

No other line of Battleships ships can say that.  The vulnerability though is AP to the sides.  She's better protected than NY from the sides.  Konig's thick slab of an armor belt and low Citadel level make her more forgiving from side AP attacks.

Note the angled 50mm deck in the second armor viewer picture.  The 250mm armor belt shouldn't be a problem to punch through, but that angled deck may possibly foil you if you're aiming for waterline Citadel shots.  Note however that the top of that 50mm angled deck stops halfway.  Above that is a flat 50mm surface that goes straight up.  So... Given the chance, in a short ranged fight, try to aim a bit above the waterline?  Maybe that will help against her.

Forgot to talk about the TDS.  It's very low, second lowest among Tier V Battleships at 13%.  Only one worse is Bretagne at 10%.  If you are eating any Torps, it's going to hurt bad.

Kongo 25%

Caesar 30%

New York 28%

I got 96k in my first co-op test in her, in less than 6 minutes. Guns-wise, she's filthy. However, the armor scheme isnt nearly as good as it looks. I landed four cits, at an angle, in one salvo on the bot PV. Secondaries seem to work like Konigs. All in all, as long as one isn't a total tater, shes' very, very strong.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles
1 hour ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I got 96k in my first co-op test in her, in less than 6 minutes. Guns-wise, she's filthy. However, the armor scheme isnt nearly as good as it looks. I landed four cits, at an angle, in one salvo on the bot PV. Secondaries seem to work like Konigs. All in all, as long as one isn't a total tater, shes' very, very strong.

Yeah, as long as you play to her strengths and be a decent player that protects one's citadel, you're going to be good to go.

Edit:  More testing in co-op.  An example of what can happen to you when you show your sides to an opponent.

Rp9jUuG.jpg

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Members
8,252 posts
8,702 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yeah, as long as you play to her strengths and be a decent player that protects one's citadel, you're going to be good to go.

Edit:  More testing in co-op.  An example of what can happen to you when you show your sides to an opponent.

Rp9jUuG.jpg

Vlad, otoh, isn't nearly as strong as her T5 sister. her pen power is decidedly lacking, and that extra 3 seconds on her reload definitely holds her back compared to other T8's. She can, at least in co-op, take some punishment. I'll be interested how the other two test, should I be fortunate enough to get them. Sinope looks like a T6 OR with 14 inch guns, that should be interesting.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles

With all the fun playing around with V Pyotr, I had unlocked VI Izmail.  Some brief looks into her:

SPEED & HANDLING:  Think Pyotr but a bit faster at 28.5kts.  But your rudder shift and already large turning circle radius is a tad worse.  She's fast among Tier VI BBs, only Normandie is faster than her.

CONCEALMENT:  Pyotr in Tier V was surprisingly very stealthy, as good as Caesar so that's d*mn good.  But Izmail?  Not really, she's middle of the road. 

With concealment camo and Concealment Expert, Izmail has 13.3km detection

Arizona in the same build is 12.6km.

But at least you're not like Fuso with the same build and still having 16.5km detection.

ARMOR:  Izmail does not have the super high bow armor of her predecessor, it's a more normal 25mm bow, but the lower part is still very thick.  It kind of reminds me of Tier X Cruiser Moskva in that regard.  If someone wants to pen you at the bow with AP, it has to be on the upper bow where it's not as thickly armored.  Otherwise, side protection reminds me a lot of Tier V Pyotr.

j5J97yt.jpg

rZcC3mh.jpg

e6iE4fA.jpg

In dealing with AP, with a 25mm bow you can easily tank the many 356mm armed BBs you encounter, but 380mm or larger will Overmatch your bow.

HE Spammers will pen you easily.  Superstructure, 25mm deck & bow.  Even CLs and their 152mm guns will farm you for HE damage.

TDS still sucks at 16%.  Torpedoes will hurt you badly.

So.  Your TDS sucks still, you no longer have that 75mm upper bow, nor the 38mm deck.  What do you get in return?  Easy.

GUNNERY:  You have a great set of 356mm x12 guns.  They are hindered by  one thing mostly.  Your turret traverse sucks at 60 seconds (Pyotr was 45).  Couple that with the turret arrangement, Izmail sucks if you have to swing guns left to right.  If someone gets the jump on you and you're not ready for it, the slow turret traverse, turret arrangement will be an issue.  You can see the arrangement here.

OD7nodR.jpg

Main and Secondary Battery values shown.  No BFT, AFT, no SBM1.  ASM1 has been fitted to buff the Main Battery dispersion.

UHENsB7.jpg

What the Main Battery gives you is great gunnery.  Pyotr gave you a very tanky ship but only 8 guns.  Izmail is the opposite.  You got 12 pretty accurate guns in compensation.  You have to fight the traverse.  If you are sticking a permanent captain on Izmail for the long haul, Expert Marksman can make life easier.  With EM, the turret traverse goes from 60 seconds to 48.6 seconds.  Some food for thought on several Tech Tree RU BB Turret Traverse Times:

V Pyotr Valikiy / VIII Vladivostok 45 seconds

VI Izmail / VII Sinop 60 seconds

IX Sovetsky Soyuz / X Kreml 30 seconds!  I have Cruisers with worse traverse than that!

This is kind of funny if you intend to take the same captain all the way down the line.  Expert Marksman as you can clearly see isn't really needed for Tier V, VIII and most definitely not in IX & X..  But in Tier VI & VII, it would be great to have. 

Personal opinion:  If you are taking this same captain all the way to Tier X, skip out on Expert Marksman and just deal with the 60 second traverse for Tiers VI & VII.  Once you're past that, having EM is just a waste.  The grind for High Tier (VIII+) is also much longer, so having EM taking up 2 pts for the entire way is a waste.

The gun angles are pretty good once you got the guns swung the right direction.  You can easily present 3/4 turrets with a great forward angle.  You'd have to swing out a bit more to get that 2nd turret on target.  But if you're kiting?  The angles are great.

4H5fjiJ.jpg

• Cool 2

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,446 battles

Got the PV last night. Pretty decent, and the AA is deceptively obscene.  It doesn’t have a good rating, but in 2-3 matches I shot down close to 60 planes!  Guns aren’t too bad, but it’s a long reload.  It seems designed for bow tanking up close.  Turrets have REALLY good angles.  That’s what I’ve noticed so far with her.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
697 posts
3,206 battles

Pyotr Velikiy looks absolutely RIDICULOUS at a glance, though I suppose if you get careless with it, it's just as easy to punish as any other tier 5 BB. Screw-off-HE-Spammers hull and deck armor, a nose that cannot be overmatched by any gun in the game (not even close), good speed, good concealment, good guns, AND a turtleback? Too much for one ship. Way too much.

As I see it, the lack of raw firepower owing to only having 8 guns is pretty much the only downside. But this thing looks like the worst nightmare opponent for pretty much any cruiser it can ever see.

--Helms

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles
5 hours ago, Sierra1968 said:

Got the PV last night. Pretty decent, and the AA is deceptively obscene.  It doesn’t have a good rating, but in 2-3 matches I shot down close to 60 planes!  Guns aren’t too bad, but it’s a long reload.  It seems designed for bow tanking up close.  Turrets have REALLY good angles.  That’s what I’ve noticed so far with her.

For 8 guns, Pyotor's are really good for what you get.  There are BBs in Tier V with 10 guns and questionable use out of them.  When you move onto Izmail in Tier VI, how the guns behave in terms of groups, shell arcs, velocity, are all very good.

Edit:  Got citadeled in close range by a bot Indianapolis while using Izmail :Smile_trollface:

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles

Just unlocked Tier VIII Vladivostok.  Haven't taken her into battle yet so just giving out her port stats in various areas.  But as any BB Aficionado knows, the competition in Tier VIII Battleships is pretty fierce.

mJtHlI2.jpg

SPEED & HANDLING - On paper she looks poor

29kts - Middle of the road.  Slower than the Bismarck-class (31kts) and Richelieu / Gascogne (32kts).  But faster than the 27kt USN BBs this tier.

950m turning circle radius

13.7 second rudder shift time with B-Hull.  A-Hull is 19.2 seconds.

Vladivostok actually has a faster rudder shift time to the recently buffed North Carolina who goes to 15.2 seconds.  The SoDaks are 15.7 seconds.  Amagi is at a lazy 17.3 seconds and Bismarck-class is 16 seconds.

However, the turning circle radius of Vladivostok looks gargantuan at 950m.  Some competition values:  Amagi 870m, NC 760m, SoDak-class 710m, Bismarck-class & Richelieu 850m.

So she's quicker to respond on turns than even the SoDak-class, but she lazily does them, as you can see by that 950m turning circle radius.

CONCEALMENT - She's okay in this department, middle of thee road.

With concealment camo & CSM1 upgrade she's at 13.5km detection range.

With concealment camo & CSM1 upgrade & CE trait she's at 12.2km.

Some competition values with Full Stealth Build:

Alabama 12.7km

Monarch 11.5km

Tirpitz 12.9km

CONSUMABLES - The special thing about RU BBs are their limited charge but quick reloading Damage Control Party consumables.  Outside this, Vladivostok has Repair Party and can also slot a Catapult Fighter.  No Spotter Plane access.

TMXz5v6.jpg

If you slot Damage Control Party Mod 1 upgrade in Slot 1, the Action Time will be improved to 14 seconds.

GUNS

A traditional 3x3 gun setup.  Turret traverse looks very nice at 36 seconds but the gun reload is pretty awful at 33 seconds.  Amagi (410mm 5x2), the Tier VIII USN BBs (406mm 3x3), Richelieu (380mm 2x4) are at 30 seconds.  Bismarck (380mm 4x2) is at 26 seconds.

OwXHNOg.jpg

Regarding Secondaries, personally she doesn't look good for several reasons.

1.  Range is poor.  5.3km range while Bismarck's are 7.5km.  You don't have a sound foundation in range alone for a Secondaries Build.

2.  You don't have that many fast firing Secondary guns to begin with.

3.  The secondary turret arrangement looks mediocre.  You'll need to turn out a lot to get all the guns firing from one side.

You can also see below she has 1.7 Sigma for her Main Battery.  She also appears to have normal AP fusing time and ricochet angles.  If you want to check the site where I got the below picture from, visit it here.

p9GPG8g.jpg

Main Battery penetration values and angle over distance compared to some of her peers in Tier VIII.  The  AP Pen is very high for these 406mm shells.  It keeps up with the USN 16"/45 and French 380mm AP and eventually ekes out higher pens at longer distances.  Amagi 410mm AP has higher Pen at shorter distances but the Soviet 406mm shell gets better starting at 12km.  Her AP also seems to fly at more level angles, similar to the French 380mm. 

Shells flying at level (Vladivostok, Richelieu) or steeper (Tier VIII USN BB) angles is both good and bad, depending on your POV.  Level flying shells tend to be easier to lead since they're not floating up in the air too long.  Steeper shell arcs like what Tier VIII USN BB AP shells do makes it harder to properly lead with more range.  But the benefit such high arc shells do is that they tend to get stuck in little corners of the ship, i.e. where the base of the superstructure & deck meet if you aim for it, and they angle in for Penetrations.  Or better yet, they arc up and crash down into Cruiser citadels.  Level flying shells could fly straight in and right out the other side.

N6sZ3J6.jpg

Below is the same AP Pen chart but also with Shell Flight Times over Distance.  Vladivostok's shells fly pretty quick compared to the floaty USN BB shells this tier.

YDo6Bgp.jpg

Below are the sharpest forward and rearward angles I could assume with Vladivostok while all main battery turrets could be used at the target.

zt35dfd.jpg

ARMOR

TDS is terrible at 21%, which continues the poor defense against torps as laid down in Tier V & VI.  But she's not alone in this regard.  Some TDS examples of her peers:  Amagi 43%, NC 19%, Alabama 49%, Massachusetts 46%, Bismarck 22%, Richelieu 35%.

How does her armor look?  A mixed bag.

dASS5N4.jpg

HE Spammers will be a danger to Vladivostok.

1.  152mm HE with IFHE and Normal 203mm HE with no IFHE will fail against the central deck area with 40mm armor.  So HE shells going for the Superstructure where shells scatter to the 40mm deck area will not penetrate.  But the tail and the YOOGE 32mm bow is ripe for the taking.

2.  German 203mm HE without IFHE will pen 50mm armor, so they won't care unless they're idiots and aim at the armor belt and similar areas with HE.  Because most of the ship is open for German 203mm HE attacks.

There are many powerful HE Spammers out there and on paper, they will stress Vladivostok's armor and consumables.  The DCP should be able to control the fires for a significant amount of time due to the short cooldowns, but she will be prone to HE DPM causing serious, raw damage before even fires are added on top.

Other than that, normal 32mm bow for the same benefits to protect against anything that isn't IJN 460mm AP.

Dq25SIg.jpg

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles

Fooling around more with Vladivostok in Co-op, dealt with my bot mirror of my ship.  You had best protect your sides as a RU BB.

umHWj3F.jpg

Like Roma and Vanguard, you slip up in Vladivostok, you can get deleted.  NC, SoDak-class, Amagi, Bismarck-class, Richelieu cannot get deleted like this from making such a mistake.

I remember a while back for a Work In Progress video Flamu did for Tier IX Sovetsky Soyuz, he loved the ship but he warned that it too had a tall citadel that can be exploited for deletions if you're not careful.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles

I'm not too fond of Tier VIII Vladivostok's gunnery compared to how Tier VI Izmail's was for her own tier.  x9 guns with 1.7 Sigma can be quite troubling over 12km.  Izmail had worse Sigma, 1.6, but felt more comfortable because she was compensated for by having 12 guns.

Just playing in Co-op, she eats HE Pens galore, so I don't even want to think about what the HE DPM players in PVP using boats like Helena, Worcester, Harugumo can do.  Then there's the threat of CAs like Zao, Hindenburg, Henri IV, Des Memes / Salem that can wear you down with HE also.

I don't have a problem with the shells' power.  It just doesn't feel comfortable with x9 gun salvos.  But when you're forced to fight with only the front guns, it's even worse.  I'd rather be using North Carolina / Alabama guns.

[KAOZ]
Members
164 posts
11,082 battles

Did anyone notice that while the Knyaz Suvorov's port wing turret can turn to fire over the starboard side, the starboard wing turret is blocked from firing to port, no matter which way it turns.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
3,189 posts
4,996 battles

I have yet to take out the Izmail, I've been too preoccupied by Pyotr Velikiy, but I did give Sinop a whirl. She's definitely strong, I was able to hold off a Queen Elizabeth, Scharnhorst, Budyonny, AND Fiji all at once just by pointing my bow at them. But that same match also revealed the ship's main flaws. The rate of fire was the first headache, but since I had plenty of support while doing my Musashi impression it wasn't too troublesome. What really got me were the torpedoes sent via air-mail courtesy of Ranger, and the cruiser at range on my side that kept taking nice chunks of HP out of me. If I'd been behind an island I would have been in a better position, at least as far as the cruiser went, but as it stands this is NOT a ship that you want to get caught in the open with.

Also, her citadel is somehow WORSE than Pyotr's. This ship has without a doubt the worst turtleback I've ever seen: It leaves the top of the citadel above the waterline exposed, it doesn't have enough room to really angle out at the midsection, and the fore and aft sections are practically vertical. It's just terrible.

She's still a great ship if you learn and can compensate for her flaws, and nine 16" guns at tier 7 means that she's tied with Nelson for the heaviest broadside at her tier. If you can't compensate for her flaws though, you're gonna die. Horribly, painfully, and frequently.

Now to wait for tomorrow, when I finally get Vladivostok unlocked. I'll finally have all of the tech tree tier 8 battleships!

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles

The short range accuracy of these guns are noticeable.  Lord help you if you are a DD in short range to these things and their HE is loaded.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles

Notser has a video of the incoming, alternate Tier X RU BB.

His TLDR take on the ship:

Great, perfectly fits the long ranged High Tier Meta.

- Super accurate guns, probably too good.

- 32mm armor all over the place, supposed to be a weakness but in Notser's opinion, it's not enough of a weakness.

====

I poked around the fitting tool and was able to find Pobeda.  Here she is with ASM1 fitted:

LQwkSfu.jpg

219m dispersion @ max range.  Fitting tool says with ASM1 fitted it goes down to 205m.

Below is Conqueror in 457mm 4x2 setup and ASM1 equipped in Slot 3.

Aj2HWFA.jpg

Here are the Artillery Charts for most of the Tier X Battleships:

Penetration and Angle over Distance chart:

W9BRsEy.jpg

Pobeda's 406mm guns for most parts have among the highest AP penetration so far for all Tier X Battleships, even more than Yamato's 460mm guns, Kreml's 457mm guns.  The angle of shell impact is pretty low so it looks like these are low arcing shells.

Penetration and Flight Time over Distance chart:

lQFiQHt.jpg

Pobeda's shells fly quickly, of the listed Tier X BBs, her shells simply reach the target quicker than her peers regardless of range.  This is important because long range shots tend to hang in the air longer and as you can see, hers fly quickly to the target at all ranges.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,036 posts
5,715 battles

Pyotr Velikiy may be a little too stronk. Her TDS is pretty horrible but the rest is very good for tier.

2,521 posts
4,250 battles
2 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Pyotr Velikiy may be a little too stronk. Her TDS is pretty horrible but the rest is very good for tier.

I can agree but I have trouble. Perhaps it will be different when people get used to seeing them and stop shooting at Russian battleships out of curiosity because they are new and people hate Russian things most times. 

I've been evaporated from low tier HE spam far too often, I've had CVs focus on me and torpedo me and dive bomb me to death far too often. I've been charged by torpedo carrying light cruisers and destroyers far too often. 
Now, once, I watched my nose plating absorb an entire salvo of Myoko HE, which was a pretty good lul. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles
2 hours ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

I can agree but I have trouble. Perhaps it will be different when people get used to seeing them and stop shooting at Russian battleships out of curiosity because they are new and people hate Russian things most times. 

I've been evaporated from low tier HE spam far too often, I've had CVs focus on me and torpedo me and dive bomb me to death far too often. I've been charged by torpedo carrying light cruisers and destroyers far too often. 
Now, once, I watched my nose plating absorb an entire salvo of Myoko HE, which was a pretty good lul. 

The TDS is an issue with these things as they're pretty low from what I've seen.  Even Vladivostok in Tier VIII has a mere 21%.  Rudder shift time is good but the turning circle radius is humongous, so these things aren't dancers.  A CV player with any sense of RU BB characteristics would  mercilessly pick on one.  Lord help you if you are dealing with the CVs that have great Torpedo Bombers, i.e. RN & IJN CVs.  IJN especially with the raw, higher torpedo damage.

RU BB TDS values:

III Suvorov 10%

IV Gangut 9% / Premium Imperator Nikolai I 13%

V Pyotr Velikiy 13% / Premium Okt.Rev 10%

VI Izmail 16%

VII Sinop 16%

VIII Vladivostok 21% / Lenin 22%

IX Sovetsky Soyuz 35% - Gets better starting here.

X Kreml 46% / Pobeda 29%

[NMKJT]
Members
2,036 posts
5,715 battles
21 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A CV player with any sense of RU BB characteristics would  mercilessly pick on one.

That happened to me in Sinop when I tried her out. Of course, what actually did the most damage to me was....another Sinop. How2Balans VMF BB tovarisch.

Members
159 posts
8,772 battles

I noticed that Izmail tends to eat a lot of citadel damage form 380 mm guns when trying to "kite".

Here is a reason why:

shot-19_04.29_16_10.18-0425.thumb.jpg.9095444fd30b9ebfadc257d72cd89f2b.jpg

shot-19_04.29_16_10.39-0453.thumb.jpg.05cf89ea49cc7a8c4e642048ac195c05.jpg

That is a fatal flaw for a ship that has 3/4 of its guns facing that direction.
Well I guess one has to play it like a Nuremberg / Pensacola and try not to get hit by other BBs