You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
capncrunch21

Please reclassify non-HP damaging hits as ricochets

11 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Members
1,271 posts

I am so sick of seeing rounds show as full penetration yet do no damage to a ship.

Yes, I know these are doing 'module' damage. But in the overall scheme of things this really means nothing. Hits that damage modules should fall under the ricochet category as they do not  'penetrate' the ship and do no hit point damage. A shot from a 6" gun that glances off the deck into an AA mount and disables it is a ricochet. Heck, even an 18" shell that plunges straight down and smashes into a torpedo tube launcher destroying it, still effectively 'bounces' off the target ship doing no HP damage.

So please WG, reclassify all non-Hit Point damaging hits as Ricochets. Thanks!

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
461 posts
4,906 battles

They should get their own icon for a module hit, because otherwise you can be lead to think you're hitting the armor belt of something when really you just hit a bunch of secondaries or AA.

I often use pen/ric/non/shatter indicators to adjust aim when shooting things behind islands with higher rof ships. 

• Cool 2

[CUTE]
Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles

Yeah, it's pretty misleading pumping in seven penetrations into a broadside Henri for zero damage

[PVE]
Members
800 posts
6,227 battles

I'd rather have a different ribbon, when I see ricochets also I assume that the angle is bad and I can't pen anywhere. A zero damage pen means I can still get damage on the next salvo if I hit a different part of the ship.

• Cool 1

[SIMP]
Members
1,271 posts

I just assume the devs are too busy for making up another ribbon - though that would be the ideal solution to this.

Having module destruction fall under a 'full penetration' ribbon is just asinine.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,742 posts
15,454 battles

As far as the game is concerned, it was a full penetration. It went through the armor and damaged the section it hit. That section just happens not to affect the ship's overall HP bar.

Is it annoying and a pain in the [edited]? Yes. However, adding a special case ribbon for this would mean designating certain hitboxes on all the ships as "module damage ribbon" areas. Maybe there's already a flag they can flip, or they could use a hack and define it as any area with a 0 coefficient on HP bar damage, but if not, they'd have to go back and do it by hand, and that's probably never going to rise to the top of their priority list.

A compromise might be to let module damage count toward your damage total and XP/credit earnings, though I suspect that would massively inflate damage reporting for things like Conqueror rounds that wipe the deck clean of low-HP AA mounts.

[VOP]
Members
384 posts
8,409 battles

This is not a new complaint, which as usual was dismissed.  I have had plenty of penetrating hits on brand new ships cause no damage and no module damage.  You can check for module damage in the details section of the after action report.  Generally, it was an opening broadside at a distant BB target.  Mostly, it was on the map Strait for some strange reason.  It happened so often that I could predict if I got a penetrating hit, there would be no damage or module damage at all.  Lately, I have seen it with close range broadside targets too.  Something has changed.

Members
1,341 posts
3,206 battles
13 hours ago, PG908 said:

They should get their own icon for a module hit, because otherwise you can be lead to think you're hitting the armor belt of something when really you just hit a bunch of secondaries or AA.

I often use pen/ric/non/shatter indicators to adjust aim when shooting things behind islands with higher rof ships. 

Agreed. Just give them their own ribbon.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,462 posts
11,248 battles

Do we really have enough Rainmans playing this game that they’re instantly adding up the damage numbers for 2 normal pen and 3 overpens every 12 seconds?

You already know that 0 damage normal pens meant you hit a module. You don’t need a new ribbon. You need a psychiatrist for your OCD. 

Those ribbons are for telling you if your angle is good and if you have enough pen or too much. I don’t care if I hit an AA gun on that salvo. All I need to know is if I’m shooting the right part of the ship at the right angle.

[VOP]
Members
1 post
1,363 battles
On 4/26/2019 at 2:10 PM, HazardDrake said:

Do we really have enough Rainmans playing this game that they’re instantly adding up the damage numbers for 2 normal pen and 3 overpens every 12 seconds?

You already know that 0 damage normal pens meant you hit a module. You don’t need a new ribbon. You need a psychiatrist for your OCD. 

Those ribbons are for telling you if your angle is good and if you have enough pen or too much. I don’t care if I hit an AA gun on that salvo. All I need to know is if I’m shooting the right part of the ship at the right angle.

Not necessarily on the module hit.  You can check damage you do to modules with a mouse over of the target ship on the end screens.

I just had a battle in a New York firing at a Texas.  8 penetrating hits over the course of 3 broadsides not including bounces with no increase in damage.  You don't need to be a Rainman to see the number is not changing at all.  Also, I did not see any modules popping off as destroyed either.