You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GandalfTehGray

The Elusive 19 pt Captain

22 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
647 posts
6,510 battles

It has finally happened, finished it off in the Marblehead, first premium I had and that I ground bft and aft back in the day when they still extended 152 mm guns rof and range.  Next up should be a German one and then the Elite commander farm will be well maintained across half of my premium ships since they are American and German,

Big thanks to WG for the long list of directives and events that gave elite commander xp, had about 600k of it that I used on this grind.

• Cool 7

[INTEL]
Members
7,209 posts
30,509 battles

Grats! The other ones come soon after.

Edited by alexf24

Members
4,081 posts
9,031 battles

I had ONE 19-pt captain a month ago...

then I focused on that and have 8 now,

carry on mate.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,701 posts
7,500 battles
30 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Grats! The other ones come soon after.

People keep saying that, they keep telling me that...but after I got my first two 19 pointers, I've not seen another one, they seem to be very elusive.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,492 posts
10,572 battles

Just slowly grinding ship captains, much like the ship lines. Took me awhile for the first T10 then the others came. Only have one 19pt captain after all these games. Have about a half dozen really close. Probably get them fairly close at the same time. Not in a hurry. A watched pot never boils.

[PVE]
Members
15,717 posts
10,424 battles
10 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

People keep saying that, they keep telling me that...but after I got my first two 19 pointers, I've not seen another one, they seem to be very elusive.

If you keep the focus on them they multiply quite well. Play the one you want to be 19pts in all the premiums he can. Play your other 19pt Cmdrs in all the premiums they can. Then you meet the Cmdr XP with the ECXP to take each pt from both sides.

1 hour ago, GandalfTehGray said:

It has finally happened, finished it off in the Marblehead, first premium I had and that I ground bft and aft back in the day when they still extended 152 mm guns rof and range.  Next up should be a German one and then the Elite commander farm will be well maintained across half of my premium ships since they are American and German,

Big thanks to WG for the long list of directives and events that gave elite commander xp, had about 600k of it that I used on this grind.

Congratulations 🎉

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
236 posts
6,163 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

I had ONE 19-pt captain a month ago...

then I focused on that and have 8 now,

carry on mate.

For sure about that -- I got my first 19 pointer 3 months ago after nearly two years of playing, have 6 now and a seventh at 18 pts.

That Elite Captain XP adds up fast!

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
1 hour ago, GandalfTehGray said:

It has finally happened,

Congratulations!

@Kizarvexis is right; you need to keep your nose firmly to the grindstone.

My first two were in nations in which I own more than one premium DD. So I gave them both Last Stand, the British one already having it from mid-tier light cruiser days and the American one being given it from his last two points. This makes it far more comfortable to play them in destroyers. They also both have RDF, which I have found extremely useful in helping me to go look for trouble when I am fighting fit or disengage from it when I am sorely wounded. The British commander does not need IFHE because most of his work is in cruisers which don't need it; the American doesn't need it because with the exception of the Charleston (which hardly needs it), he has no premium light cruisers to go in.

[SHAFT]
Members
603 posts
13,794 battles
2 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Nicely done, congrats.

Narai, is active now, grab your most favorite t7 and slap on those xp flags to get a big jump on getting the second.

• Cool 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,235 posts

I finally have three now, for my Des Moines, Montana and Midway.

[PVE]
Members
647 posts
6,510 battles
44 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Please tell me that 19 pt captain isn’t trained to the Marblehead.

Lol no, Seatle heading for Worcester 

Members
105 posts
7,538 battles

It seems like it takes forever to get that first 19-point captain.  They will come quicker from now on, though you won't notice this at first, but after a while it snowballs. 

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
3 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Lol no, Seatle heading for Worcester 

Thank god.  I see people on here from time to time that mess that up.

The first 19 pointer I got was for my Fiji and that took about a year.  My second came 6 months later and now I get a new one every month.  The key for me was to go with more general captain skills and run them mostly in higher tier premiums.  Halsey is trained for the Iowa, but is my go to for the Salem, Alaska, and  Indianapolis.  He can easily pick up 50k elite XP a day with flags and those 4.

[PVE]
Members
647 posts
6,510 battles
1 hour ago, galspanic said:

Thank god.  I see people on here from time to time that mess that up.

The first 19 pointer I got was for my Fiji and that took about a year.  My second came 6 months later and now I get a new one every month.  The key for me was to go with more general captain skills and run them mostly in higher tier premiums.  Halsey is trained for the Iowa, but is my go to for the Salem, Alaska, and  Indianapolis.  He can easily pick up 50k elite XP a day with flags and those 4.

I ran it one game in my Black earlier, being able to. Pen all the cruisers because of IFHE was pretty nice. 

It's is specialized for the light cruisers though, it can run the Texas/black/Massachusetts just fine. 

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
8 hours ago, galspanic said:

Please tell me that 19 pt captain isn’t trained to the Marblehead.

@theLaalaa had one that was trained to the Black Swan. Started in it and never left it. FOUR MILLION ship XP - it's marvellous what you can do when you have a lot of time on your hands.

(And no, it's not seal-clubbing; T1 Randoms is an even more nightmarish campfest than T10. Slip and you are dead.)

Even if your captain is trained to a premium, so long as they have others to go in it doesn't really matter. Though of course having that extra tech-tree ship to rack up points in does help.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

-Members-
1,640 posts
792 battles
11 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Congrats on your first 19 point captain! The first one always seems to be the toughest but now that you have one, you can start getting that awesome "elite Captain XP" with that captain. You can use this XP on training other captains and over time you will have more 19 point captains.

Have you thought about what ship you are going to put your German commander on or what ship is he on now?

If you have any questions about skills feel free to ask me or others on the forums and we would be glad to help you.

[PVE]
Members
647 posts
6,510 battles
1 hour ago, iKami said:

Congrats on your first 19 point captain! The first one always seems to be the toughest but now that you have one, you can start getting that awesome "elite Captain XP" with that captain. You can use this XP on training other captains and over time you will have more 19 point captains.

Have you thought about what ship you are going to put your German commander on or what ship is he on now?

If you have any questions about skills feel free to ask me or others on the forums and we would be glad to help you.

Thanks! 

It is currently on the Bismarck which originally I had planned to stop at, but the IFHE secondary build Kurfurst looks like a blast in coop. 

[SOV]
Members
2,918 posts
7 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Thanks! 

It is currently on the Bismarck which originally I had planned to stop at, but the IFHE secondary build Kurfurst looks like a blast in coop. 

They go fast after that. Got one then not long after another and another.

[TARK]
Members
339 posts
3,049 battles
20 hours ago, Judge_Doom said:

After torpedo beating my butt off, I have enough commander xp to push like 5 14+ pointers to 19.... but as seems to always happen the more I accumulate, the harder it is to let go...

Wooster, Daring and Musashi (yes... don't have another bb to put him in) all have 19pters though!