You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
masterfish

Yamato Stealth Nerf is Not Cool

54 comments in this topic

[GWLF]
Members
12 posts
3,358 battles

I logged into World of Warships this morning and was astounded to see that Yamato, the venerable and beloved T10, was nerfed.  I posted a request for clarification in the bug reports forum; no nerfs had been announced for Yamato, and as far as I can tell she was not in a dominating state compared to other T10 ships.

The model rework of Yamato was in fact a serious stealth nerf that seems to have largely slipped under the radar.  Yamato's new armor scheme, based on the model update Wargaming recently announced to be coming out with this patch, has almost halved her torpedo belt, leaving huge portions of her citadel including both forward turret barbettes and the magazines within, completely undefended by her excellent 55% damage reduction.  You can see the difference in their armor schemes by comparing her to Musashi in port, as Yamato's sister ship did not receive this nerf despite arguably being the more oppressive of the two ships by far.  A fellow user, SireneRacker, confirmed this nerf to be far more than cosmetic with a training room test.  The new torpedo belt is far smaller than the old, leaving huge vulnerabilities.  It also makes her more likely to detonate than any other battleship in the game, as she's the only one with all of her magazines completely outside her torpedo protection system.

It also increases the vulnerability of Yamato's citadel, already the easiest to hit of all T10 battleships, by removing the spaced armor provided by the old torpedo bulges that made her infamous "cheek" slightly harder to penetrate.

Having confirmed that this is in fact not my eyes playing tricks on me, I've decided to cross post this notification into the general forum in hopes of more people protesting this stealth nerf, and of Wargaming staff becoming aware that this is not cool and requires a response.

We all appreciate the effort Wargaming puts into maintaining historical accuracy on the ships in World of Warships, but nerfing Yamato's defenses without a single hint that this nerf was coming, or any apparent reason for doing so, is not okay.  Yamato was not an overpowered ship in her old state.  Adding 100 more DPS to her AA does not compensate for worsening an armor scheme that already required more skill than any other battleship to avoid receiving devastating damage.

If this had been done to Musashi, I would not have batted an eye, and I don't think many players would have fussed much.  Musashi is widely considered overpowered for a Tier 9 ship, and can seem nearly indestructible when fighting tier 7 vessels.  Greater vulnerability to torpedoes and citadel hits would do a lot to make her a more enjoyable ship to face in battle, while retaining the features that make her unique at her tier.  But to my knowledge, Yamato did not need this substantial nerf at all.

Honestly, I'd love to hear that I'm wrong, WG.  I'd like to hear that this was just a scheduling mix-up, and that Yamato was in fact slated for nerfs due to extreme over-performance, or that this is a programming error that will be patched out soon.

The alternative is knowledge that any Tier 10 tech tree ship, the vessels in the game that we all put huge amounts of time and effort towards unlocking and becoming skilled at playing, could be severely nerfed at any time, without so much as a hint that they've been neutered without a premium sister ship or old screenshot to compare them to.  This is not cool.  It's not right.  And it needs to be addressed post haste.

Edited by masterfish
  • Cool 24
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Angry 1

Members
4,081 posts
9,042 battles

sigh.

this is the second post I have seen today to talk about basically Yamato nerfs,,, I hope not!

Keep us posted as this is my focus ship, win or lose, (and I am not great at her don't even bother checking).... but she deserves more, not less....

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NAUT]
Beta Testers
967 posts
7,423 battles

I both agree and disagree with you.

I agree they should have included it in the notes unless it is accidental. As I don't feel Yamato over-performs I'm hoping this is an accident and will be fixed. I also don't know enough about Yamato's armor scheme to check your facts so I'll assume it is a drastic change.

I disagree that tech ships should or have been even remotely immune to massive nerfs. For all the years I've played WoT and WoWS this hasn't been true. One of the T10 tanks in WoT was so overpowered they just deleted the thing. Ground hard for weeks for it? Oh well. It's gone. (It got replaced by a new totally different animal but the tank removed was so strong many players ground the line of mediocrity just to get it then had it taken away). 

Thumbs up for the alert tho. Hopefully they'll address it one way or the other soon!

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,693 posts
3,560 battles
14 minutes ago, masterfish said:

The alternative is knowledge that any Tier 10 tech tree ship, the vessels in the game that we all put huge amounts of time and effort towards unlocking and becoming skilled at playing, could be severely nerfed at any time, without so much as a hint that they've been neutered without a premium sister ship or old screenshot to compare them to.  This is not cool.  It's not right.  And it needs to be addressed post haste.

Im pro-nerf/buffing premiums... But Im sure those who oppose that can see the issue I have. Where do you draw the line of what is allowed to be nerfed and buffed? Metas change, and ships need adjusted. Its quite simple, but people always find ways to complain. I can pay doubloons for free xp and get me an Iowa, and when its nerfed I have no room to complain. Why is it any different for premiums. Either way, I think most can agree WG is well within reason to change tech tree ships as they see fit.

Personally I think the Yamato WAS a strong ship. Not in need of a nerf, but not un-deserving by any means. It is just so easy to mindlessly get 200k games in her

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[A_51]
Members
907 posts
20,692 battles

Of course, right after I use my ironium to buy the legendary upgrade and paid for perma camo.  If this is true, I will have to seriously reconsider future expenditures.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
6,005 posts
3,866 battles

Didn't they mess up the GC and pull the beak armor when they were looking to up tier it?

I would think this more likely a screw up than an attempt at a stealth nerf because people look at everything here, and they would be bound to get caught.

If it is a true attempt to stealth nerf, nerfing the YAMATO while updating the model would be one of the least intelligent things I think you could do.

[90TH]
Members
984 posts
9,235 battles

LOL complaining about a Yamato nerf that's barely discernable.  The Yueyang got the mother of all nerf hammers, and no one plays her anymore.  Let's talk about that permacamo I paid for.

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,363 posts
11,875 battles
8 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

sigh.

this is the second post I have seen today to talk about basically Yamato nerfs,,, I hope not!

Keep us posted as this is my focus ship, win or lose, (and I am not great at her don't even bother checking).... but she deserves more, not less....

He posted almost the exact same thing this morning.

There is almost always some little things that do not make it into the patch notes but this is rather big and at a guess they mucked up when they redrew the model.

@Gneisenau013 Would we be able to get an official answer on this?

[TF_34]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,594 posts
10,729 battles

Im looking at it right now in game and Im not seeing these nerfs. If you rotate to where you can see the forcaster capstans and compare they are identical.

shot-19_04.25_20_38.31-0381.thumb.jpg.c29e66967cd85f571075d2a3a5d394f4.jpg

shot-19.04.25_20.38.42-0119.jpg

• Cool 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
441 posts
4,095 battles

The leading edge of the armor belt doesn't quite line up with the citadel armor belt below it, unlike the Musashi.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
441 posts
4,095 battles

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm having a hard time seeing the large difference too.

Members
124 posts
15,238 battles

Here are better screenshots at the SAME angle rather than 2 different angles.  Look on the right side of the #1 guns to see what I am guessing the OP is talking about

shot-19.04.25_19.02.51-0703.jpg

shot-19.04.25_19.02.55-0623.jpg

Edited by BirdForce

[TF_34]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,594 posts
10,729 battles
5 minutes ago, BirdForce said:

Here are better screenshots at the SAME angle rather than 2 different angles.  Look on the right side of the #1 guns to see what I am guessing the OP is talking about

shot-19.04.25_19.02.51-0703.jpg

shot-19.04.25_19.02.55-0623.jpg

yeah i see it now but the point about the buldge is wrong though. This is probably just a modelling error. We all know St Petersburg is filled with idiots so....

shot-19.04.25_21.08.55-0658.jpg

shot-19.04.25_21.09.06-0398.jpg

• Funny 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
441 posts
4,095 battles

I see it now in my game client.  The torpedo bulge  under the citadel belt goes forward all the way to turret 1 on Musashi.  It barely touches the rear of turret #2 on Yamato.

• Cool 1

[GWLF]
Members
12 posts
3,358 battles

First off, my opposition is not to Yamato getting a nerf, as I said.  My opposition is to Wargaming nerfing the ship without saying a single thing about it beforehand or after applying the nerf.

Secondly, you can't see the place where things were changed with the plating off.  The difference is in the size of the torpedo bulges; in order to see them, you have to have the plating visible.

Thirdly, WG has released that they don't think halving the coverage of Yamato's torpedo bulges was a serious detriment to the ship, but since a lot of people have disagreed, in the next patch they'll change the torpedo protection system to match Musashi again, while otherwise keeping the new model.

So a fix is incoming and Yamato will be performing like her old self by 8.4.  Or so we all hope.

Edited by masterfish

[UEFN]
Members
970 posts
17,551 battles

Stealth nerf happened all the time, in WOT and in WOW, nothing new.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,700 posts

i agree, the so called modernization to be honest i don't see much difference, nor do i care, and WG said spent 5 months flew several designers to japan... money would be much better spent elsewhere

but if they nerf it secretly as a result, players will be really pissed

Edited by Happy668

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
441 posts
4,095 battles

lol.  I just took out a bot Yamato in co-op by blind-firing  at point blank range right at the reduced torpedo belt area.   Total fluke shot.  Probably doesn't mean anything.  But, I found it funny nonetheless.

[UNNAT]
Members
428 posts
4,770 battles

Now that you mention it yeah. The torpedo belt used to go the whole length of the belt armor. Now it covers barely half of it. I don't really think the other changes to the armor geometry are significant but that's a pretty big nerf by itself.

Although I don't remember the smoke stack of Yamato being 50mm like the Musashi before the patch,  they at least buffed that aspect of it.

Edited by Tekina_

Members
142 posts
3,546 battles

I dont really trust Wargaming anymore, but I dont think it'd be deliberate. Happy to be proven wrong, but when the Yamato just got a model upgrade, and the Musashi exists the same as always, leads me to think it was some kind of error.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

So after the entire day, nothing has been said officially by anyone, anywhere? 

• Cool 3

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,239 posts

Reminds me a bit of the stealth nerf WG hit RN CVs with with 0.8.2 with their bomb drop speeds. They first denied anything changed and when it finally dawned on them that no one was buying it, they admitted they nerfed it but claimed it was a bug fix.

[H_]
Members
2,440 posts

This is bad news........  Even if this is a accidental nerf because of the remodeling, that means their quality control is a mess or.............it was intentional.   They are serious about speeding up the game and making ships easier to kill is step one....

Let's hope they goofed....  I'm about all out of trust....

• Cool 1