You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dogget

USN Premium BBs Arizona and Texas.

14 comments in this topic

Members
83 posts
2,318 battles

I was surprised to learn I have both.  Played them 5 times between them.  A year ago.  So, I really know nothing about them. Coming back now.  Comments, insights, please.  (Any mods?)

[PVE]
Members
647 posts
6,510 battles

They are slow, Tx isn't as strong AA wise as it used to be. The important thing is to just know what battleships you can overmatch the nose and which ones you cannot.

Members
1,749 posts
14,989 battles

Texas is meh, but Arizona is a fantastic tier 6 BB, slow but the accuracy of the guns is a huge strength.   

-Members-
1,640 posts
785 battles
5 minutes ago, Dogget said:

I was surprised to learn I have both.  Played them 5 times between them.  A year ago.  So, I really know nothing about them. Coming back now.  Comments, insights, please.  (Any mods?)

Arizona is a great ship to play. She has great guns, decent armor and good range. The biggest downside to the Arizona is the painful speed. The Arizona also does not have very good AA to speak of. The Texas is sort of the same speed wise but still a solid ship.

Tips:

• Picking a side at the beginning is very important because you will not have the speed to flex to the other side very quickly.
  • The Arizona in particular has weak AA, so make sure you are accompanying an AA ship or at least put yourself in a position where enemy planes don't focus you.
  • Make sure you start the match getting your turrets facing the correct way (this is a small thing but how many times have you seen BBs with their turrets the wrong way).
  • Play to the ships strength, angle your armor and use her great guns to punish ships from all tiers she can meet. 

I hope these tips help!

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,283 posts
22,489 battles

Two very different kind of boats.

Texas: good AA, okish at top tier, meh when it comes to armor

Arizona: nearly no AA,  good armor, best low/mid tier torpedo belt, excellent guns, to slow for higher tiers

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles

The main concern for AZ and TX is the CV Rework and the increased presence of Carriers.

TX AA ability isn't what it used to be.  She also eats BB AP Pens like it's cool, just like NY.  Still, she packs a lot of firepower for her tier.

Arizona?  Guns are fabulous, she's tough.  Both BBs are extremely slow, though.  Traditionally, AZ is a popular high performance Tier VI Battleship.  The problem for her is her AA is bad.  It's always been bad, even when she first came out years ago.  The concern then in my eyes for those days was CVs leisurely picked off Arizona with no fear, no respect of her AA.  The CV Rework hasn't changed that, it's still bad AA.  What makes it worse now is that CVs are more popular now than they have been for years.  A terrible AA BB like Arizona is a gift for a Carrier.  You better not sail alone in a CV match.  Otherwise it's a guarantee that you'll get focused by a Carrier.  Even worse, since AZ is a Tier VI, she can meet the Tier VIII Carriers, which there has been a massive spike of recently.  At least Texas doesn't have to deal with Tier VIII CVs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

The Texas is my favorite ship to play so I'm little biased.  In terms of AA I've found it depends on the tier as most IV's get chewed up and V's just get hurt.  If you can master her aim she can absolutely punish a BB foolish enough to go broadside. 

Good luck with it!

[-HMCS]
[-HMCS]
Members
31 posts
576 battles

At Tier 5 I really dig the Texas honestly.  Managed to down 52 aircraft in the Texas in one match.  Sure does eat BB AP though like they said above

Members
142 posts
3,546 battles

I only really play PvE, particularly scenarios, so I dont have alot of experience with Texas. I have it, but yeah.

Arizona is monstrous though in that kind of game type. Eats everything and pummels everything right back.

Edited by Springfield_Fats

[STW-M]
Members
3,328 posts
7,825 battles

Praise be to Arizona, anything else is heresy.

But seriously, if you learn how to sail them correctly, they are incredibly tough and hit hard even against tier 7 and 8 ships (in ranked sprint, I've carried quite a few battles in Arizona and annihilated multiple careless Giulio Cesares with Texas). Treat them poorly, however, and you will be punished severely.

Texas has better AA than Arizona, and the gun layout means that kiting is quite feasible with her. With that being said, even when angled she can still eat AP pens from just about any tier 5+ BB.

Of course, as should be a given if one looks at my username, I prefer Arizona. True, the AA isn't nearly good, but that torpedo protection means that you can take a lot of air-dropped torpedoes before going down, and the laser-accurate and hard-hitting 3x4 356mm guns more than make up for it, not to mention the increased armor allowing her to be basically a brick against even tier 8 ships when angled properly. One of my favorite things to do in Arizona is to find a careless cruiser that's stopped broadside in a smokescreen or behind an island and snipe them with the help of my spotter plane. Heck, she even gives some of my tier 8 battleships a run for their money.

There's a reason why she's the only ship I've ever marked as primary.

981012074_ArizonaRinged.thumb.png.f88e9a871c369bf6003e7ac6a25c0b79.png

[INTEL]
Members
10,633 posts
29,939 battles

There's no way I'd bring Arizona into the current meta with Sky Griefers everywhere. Too slow, no AA...

...and that's even before the problem of being uptiered all the time at T6. 

Texas might actually be more enjoyable now. It will see a ton of T4 Sky Griefers and because those T4 CVs pull in T5s, it will be top tier more often than it used to be. 

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles
15 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

TX AA ability isn't what it used to be. 

How has it changed? In RTS, my philosophy was to ignore bombers as if they didn't exist (because they soon wouldn't) and angle against torpedo planes. Anything that got close enough to bomb me was going to get eaten alive. 

Now of course we have rocket planes as well.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,940 posts
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How has it changed? In RTS, my philosophy was to ignore bombers as if they didn't exist (because they soon wouldn't) and angle against torpedo planes. Anything that got close enough to bomb me was going to get eaten alive. 

Now of course we have rocket planes as well.

I would hazard a guess that your last sentence has something to do with it:  Rocket planes.   TX AA is primarily tied up in the 20 and 40 mm mounts- all of which are very vulnerable to HE shells/bombs/rockets, and both of which are fragile.   Even the AAA guns are in open mounts...    TX can be quickly stripped of a large portion of it's AA via HE spam; HE bomb hits, or rockets.    And if you play it like a US BB- midrange, not sniping from afar- You WILL be subjected to some or all of the above, lol.

WG shifting the AA emphasis from continuous damage to flak didn't help, either.   The ancient relics Texas gets for AAA aren't very good...

For the OP:

Keeping in mind that I primarily play the pve modes, not Randoms;

Texas can be quite a fun ship, and indeed is beastly in a brawl.  BUT:  it's speed either prevents you from getting there in time- or forces you to play it TOO aggressively.  (leading to you getting caught with your junk blowing in the wind, and no way to get out of it.)   I've found that in the current meta, it's been very much shoved aside.   Slow as hell = good luck finding anything to shoot at before it's gone.   Slow reload = you'd better have really great aim, because you won't get many salvos in.

All in all, the differences between it and New York are mostly unnoticeable.  (aside from the AA of course- I was speaking of the rest of the ship)   If you like and/or know how to make NY work- Texas will feel right at home.   I LOVED NY when I was grinding it- and for a long time after.   The guns hit very hard, and it's surprisingly nimble for a BB.  The armor can take a lot of punishment, too- IF you use it to it's advantage.   It's just that the game itself has changed since then, making it less viable.

Arizona has the same problem- it's agonizingly slow.   And it has doodly squat for AA.  What you DO get vs it's tech tree counterpart New Mexico, is range and accuracy.  And also a different armor scheme, that makes you tankier.   When you are able to get into the fight, AZ is a mad beast- deadly guns, and very effective armor.   If the red team heads towards the side of the map you DIDN'T spawn on, it could be a long day trying to catch up with the fight...  You do, at least, have the option of bombarding reds with long range fire while you "charge" after them. 

Again, I find mine to not be quite as fun or effective as it used to be- mainly due to the 5 minutes or less meta that dominates PVE currently.   I haven't dragged either into a pvp game in ages, so I have no advice to give there.   AZ performed pretty well for me in past Random matches, though.

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
453 posts
3,033 battles

The only downside to the Arizona is the punitive 35sec reload