You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KelesK

Azuma v. Yoshino

53 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
402 posts
5,768 battles

So I've been paying close attention to this one ever since the original announcement of the Azuma and with great disappointment I got the Azuma only to realise it was certainly not worth the expenditure.

Glancing over what's been made available of the Yoshino I can see that it's essentially a carbon copy of the Azuma including it's woeful 25mm armour. While I understand saying anything here won't inspire WG to understand the Azuma is an inherently poorly designed ship and spitting out a carbon copy of the same poor design isn't particularly smart, I'm curious to see if anyone is still considering getting Yoshino and their thoughts on it - for better or worse.

• Cool 5

Alpha Tester
1,217 posts
4,968 battles

I'm waiting to see how it shakes out before I decide either way. I also want to know how the new tier Xs are going to be purchasable before I commit.

[OO7]
Members
5,209 posts
12,037 battles

Yoshino seems pretty OP from what I've heard so far. 

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
666 posts
3,281 battles

20km torpedoes in the current iteration. Can't wait until my teammates start firing torpedoes from third line in it...

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles
53 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

20km torpedoes in the current iteration. Can't wait until my teammates start firing torpedoes from third line in it...

She's going to have both 12km and 20km options.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
314 posts
12,201 battles

I'm 550 fxp from 1m, so I hope they buff the Azuma or come along with another ship.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,868 posts
11,787 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

I would love to see what makes you think that. So far the only thing I know Iabout her is that she's the old T10 Azuma with torps. And the old T10 Azuma was indeed strong but not OP.

To answer the OP, yes I'm definitely going to buy her, I have saved around....430k coal I think ? I really hope WG will not mess with her too much but at least she'll have some 30mm part, which will greatly help when angled.

• Cool 1

[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
478 posts
10,265 battles

Just please give Yoshino some armor to play with. Tired of IJN being the weakest premiums with only specific roles that require greater stregenth in play rather then rely on the ships stats. She has to at least be competitive in Clan Wars, seeing the torpedo gimmick popping up already is a bad sign to me. Azuma is such a let down with zero upside, range does not save you from getting cit like a RN cruiser. Tell me how you can justify the ship? More accuracy? Nope, better range then the other super cruisers? Nope,  better reload? Nope, armor better? Nope, Well is should be at least faster right? Nope, and a 910 turning circle is great right? What does it do well? Shot its guns like every other ship. They gutted a hope for a insult of a ship and made you pay for it. 

For real what does it do well? Has good HE....wow no other ship has that right? 

Its so sad the CCs said its a crap boat, and they struggled to say one positive thing other than if you collect ships then shes a must buy....

Justify the IJN premiums but for once give us the stats with the ship. Grow some balls and put something justifiable of a good IJN boat for those of us who have yet to see a great premium beyond the Musashi. 

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
402 posts
5,768 battles
8 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

To answer the OP, yes I'm definitely going to buy her, I have saved around....430k coal I think ? I really hope WG will not mess with her too much but at least she'll have some 30mm part, which will greatly help when angled.

I too have been saving up my coal for her but after picking up the Azuma I seriously lost a lot of faith in what this project was supposed to be. I'd really like to see the armour setup before purchasing though because if it's anything like the Azuma it will seriously dissuade me. I love my IJN ships and as I've said to numerous people I have quite a few IJN port queens, but a line really needs to be drawn somewhere because I really felt cheated after picking up Azuma.

7 minutes ago, Condor_Legion said:

For real what does it do well? Has good HE....wow no other ship has that right? 

She does nothing better than her "competitor", Alaska. I use the word extremely loosely. But when WG uses that as their sales pitch you really need to bring it to the forefront of the discussion.

Edited by KelesK
  • Cool 2

[OO7]
Members
5,209 posts
12,037 battles
28 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I would love to see what makes you think that. So far the only thing I know Iabout her is that she's the old T10 Azuma with torps. And the old T10 Azuma was indeed strong but not OP.

Initial st report's were saying the guns were pretty amazing. I was under the impression the guns were the same as azume, but perhaps not, haven't looked myself. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,700 posts

i am fed up with premium slow firing heavy cruisers, don't we have enough already?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles
27 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

i am fed up with premium slow firing heavy cruisers, don't we have enough already?

it appears that the demand is not met yet since people are eagerly awaiting these.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles

I'm going to give it a patch of CC/tester experience in the big wide world before I make my decision. The British destroyers, for example, were absolute dogs when they first came out for the testers, but giving them the British Cruiser acceleration parameters and swapping their wide torp spread back to narrow made much nicer ships out of them.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,994 posts

Torps and better AA will help the ship some but IFHE spewers still will eat up any 25mm armor to be had (RU BB hint - go after the super structure's 16mm armor).  Such thin armor makes the Azuma feel like a T7 with T9 HP and guns.

No real need to dodge or angle in it since every shell will pen it anyways.  I'd rather have my FXP back and loot box the ship back so I will have it as part of my collection.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles
2 hours ago, Happy668 said:

2 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

it appears that the demand is not met yet since people are eagerly awaiting these.

Quite.

I see a lot of Alaskas out there.  People are already staring into the horizon for anything about Yoshino.  Most especially for IJN players looking for more solid Premiums.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,568 posts
5,666 battles

I was once interested in Yoshino. But Azuma has since completely killed my interest. Azuma is a scam, and a waste of free xp. It beggers belief that Wargaming released such worthless tripe for 1 million xp. Hard earned either from effort playing the game and accruing free xp slowly. Or hard earned from all your efforts at work earning the money to convert the free xp. Even though I earned my free xp via the former, and got it for free, I still regret it.

I got Azuma chiefly so I could put the future AL captain Azuma on it. So I could Listen to Azuma while I Azuma. I also thought I could get her to work. Well F* me! It's impossible. It can do no more than be a long range HE spammer support ship, that has no carry potential whatsoever. If I had a time machine I'd convince myself not to spend the free xp.

Yoshino having a 30mm mid section might come in handy to bounce some 16 inch shells. But any BB who knows Yoshino's weaknesses will just aim for the 25mm bow, stern, or superstructure. The torps are situational gimmicks, and the 20km torps will be worthless.

Azuma is pure dog turd. A tier 10 Azuma  imho will be more of the same and stink just as much, no matter how hard WG's brainwashing PR department tries to polish it. My opinion, based on Azuma, is that people should not get Yoshino.

• Cool 4

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,794 posts
3,988 battles

Currently, Yoshino only has a slight buff to a few armor sections; 30mm, but still a rather vulnerable 25mm bow/stern, a different AA setup, and 12 and 20km torpedo options.

She still has terrible maneuverability and a high citadel, and is still a rear-line fire spammer because she can't do anything else without getting punched out.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
402 posts
5,768 battles
4 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

Currently, Yoshino only has a slight buff to a few armor sections; 30mm, but still a rather vulnerable 25mm bow/stern, a different AA setup, and 12 and 20km torpedo options.

She still has terrible maneuverability and a high citadel, and is still a rear-line fire spammer because she can't do anything else without getting punched out.

So more or less the same ship, unfortunately.

[-ARP-]
Members
627 posts
13,217 battles

Yoshino has torpedoes that have worst visibility in the game.... you can see them for kilometers away.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,693 posts
15,405 battles
12 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo … 

You just killed it :(

[WOLF2]
Members
3,693 posts
15,405 battles
7 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I was once interested in Yoshino. But Azuma has since completely killed my interest. Azuma is a scam, and a waste of free xp. It beggers belief that Wargaming released such worthless tripe for 1 million xp. Hard earned either from effort playing the game and accruing free xp slowly. Or hard earned from all your efforts at work earning the money to convert the free xp. Even though I earned my free xp via the former, and got it for free, I still regret it.

I got Azuma chiefly so I could put the future AL captain Azuma on it. So I could Listen to Azuma while I Azuma. I also thought I could get her to work. Well F* me! It's impossible. It can do no more than be a long range HE spammer support ship, that has no carry potential whatsoever. If I had a time machine I'd convince myself not to spend the free xp.

Yoshino having a 30mm mid section might come in handy to bounce some 16 inch shells. But any BB who knows Yoshino's weaknesses will just aim for the 25mm bow, stern, or superstructure. The torps are situational gimmicks, and the 20km torps will be worthless.

Azuma is pure dog turd. A tier 10 Azuma  imho will be more of the same and stink just as much, no matter how hard WG's brainwashing PR department tries to polish it. My opinion, based on Azuma, is that people should not get Yoshino.

Will a T10 dog turd be able to compete with a Stalingrad?

Anybody who answers "yes" has not been paying attention … 

First rule of fight club - Ruskies nerf you, not the other way around :)

[WOLFB]
Members
2,868 posts
11,787 battles

The old T10 Azuma also had that 25mm part, yet it wasn't received as a garbage - meh ship. In fact people actually said she's pretty strong.

I don't really know how Yoshino would be "worst" than the old T10 Azuma.

[-BRS-]
Members
471 posts
9,569 battles

The Yoshino I was in battle with last night had a really good game.   He stayed at distance, sunk at least one ship with 20k torps and had a pretty good game.  I think he had 3 kills.  He didn't answer me, naturally, when I asked how it was, but his battle performance was pretty good from my observation.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
929 posts
7,697 battles

WoWs players: "hahahaha it's covered in 25mm armor and is the size of a BB, hahahahaha"

Also WoWs players: "This is a pile crap, it gets penned by everything, rawr rawr rawr"

WG: Laughs all the way to the bank

Out of 12 high tier games last might my div-mates and I saw one Yoshino (nothing special in that match) and ONE Azuma. Enjoy your port queens, you knew exactly what you were getting lol

Edited by FitsHeSits
  • Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
402 posts
5,768 battles
8 hours ago, FitsHeSits said:

WoWs players: "hahahaha it's covered in 25mm armor and is the size of a BB, hahahahaha"

Also WoWs players: "This is a pile crap, it gets penned by everything, rawr rawr rawr"

WG: Laughs all the way to the bank

Out of 12 high tier games last might my div-mates and I saw one Yoshino (nothing special in that match) and ONE Azuma. Enjoy your port queens, you knew exactly what you were getting lol

You do admittedly have a point. I probably should have done more research rather then just assuming her armour scheme would have similar weight to Alaska. I had also somewhat banked on WG being realistic about the ship project as a whole which certainly wasn't thinner than a minotaur. The ship in practice is supposed to have 190mm armour which short of the guns it has nowhere near. It's pretty insulting when the Khaba has thicker plating. That WG thinks adding an extra 5mm to the ship is going to achieve anything just goes to show how detached they've become I suppose. I know they tend to bend historical accuracy at times for balance sake but the Azuma is proof that they just didn't even try to do it right this time.

Edited by KelesK