CaptHarlock_222

You'll never guess what I just spent an hour doing.

7 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
872 posts
6,043 battles

So I play on a gaming laptop that happens to have some issues with cooling that tend to negatively affect my built-in keyboard, so I've been using an external USB keyboard for the last 2 years. This has actually solved several of my problems at once. It gives me a keyboard that still works once my PC has warmed up, it helps a bit with the cooling issue in that my hands are no longer adding heat/preventing cooling, and it gets my screen further away so the I'm not having eye strain issues. What could possibly go wrong with this?

I'll tell you what, being as it is a laptop and I can take my whole setup with me in a backpack, I do just that and it lead inevitably to the cord on my keyboard getting a short. Specifically, the two wires that provide power to the thing wore through, came in contact with each other, created a short, and welded together. Of course this meant I lost all functionality of my external keyboard which means no shooty boats until keyboard works again. Considering I've got 3 of the 4 RU BB unlock missions on the go and I'd kind of like to do them, I decided to see if I could do something about this. 

Using nothing more than my trusty Swiss army knife, a roll of electrical tape that is likely as old as I am, and my normal mechanically curious mind, I set about attempting a field expedient repair. One hour  (and a fair bit of frustration and electrical tape) later, it would appear I have a working keyboard again, if this post is anything to go by. I'm still likely to replace this thing as soon as I can, but this 'test post' proves that my repair is working and hopefully can hold out till I can get a replacement keyboard. 

I figured some here might find some amusement from my misadventures and I figured it would make a good test of my handiwork.

• Cool 3

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,677 posts
3,550 battles

Screenshot_20190425-155339_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,295 posts
11,826 battles

40dfff5950db5cb27e76ae7aa0f351f6.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles

Have you considered buying a cooling pad for your laptop? If the case is getting so hot you can't touch it you've got bigger problems going on. 

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
872 posts
6,043 battles
16 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

Have you considered buying a cooling pad for your laptop? If the case is getting so hot you can't touch it you've got bigger problems going on. 

It's not so much that it gets that hot, it just gets hot enough that the built in keyboard starts malfunctioning. I actually discovered the problem because of this game (and it could be that the game stressed the computer enough to cause it). I first noticed that my rudder keys would 'stick' or not want to function, eventually it got to the point that I couldn't play and that's when I actually took it in to find out what was up (I also had need of a new screen around that same time). I have since put in place several methods to mitigate the cooling problem: a nifty little 'golf ball' stand to increase the airspace under the computer allowing the fans to have better airflow, manually controlling the fans when playing power intensive games (this largely solved most of the issues, but the keyboard was damaged by that point), the external keyboard which helped on both fronts. I've got things in a stable state now, it's just that the setup has it's quirks. 

As to the 'improvise, adapt, overcome' stuff (which is amusing), I credit my former US army Ranger dad for helping give me the fix-it-myself sort of nature, goodness knows we've worked on so many DIY projects together over the years, including the never ending house project which has spanned my entire life. :Smile_teethhappy: He also likes to point out that he carried a Swiss army knife before even Macgyver did, though he always did love the original with Richard Dean Anderson.