You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shoggoth_pinup

Is there some trick to Midway torps?

8 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
1,382 posts
6,370 battles

Or are they supposed to feel like a downgrade from Lexington? Seriously, their damage is so low that you have to land 4-5 of them just to match the damage of the three Lexington launches, and, on top of that, it's practically impossible to land more than 2-3 on someone that's paying even the slightest amount of attention. The Lexington torps felt good for attacking BBs, but even BBs are dodging these like it's child's play. I feel like I have to start my attack run 6km off, and when I finally get there, having to tank an ungodly amount of flak all the while just to become accurate, they've had time to basically go bow on. I could, with some level of consistency, land 6-9 of those torps. These, though, I feel blessed if I land more than 3 across the entire squad.

I just feel like I'd do better with a carbon copy of Lexington's torps, as these things feel like they can't be used on anything but smoke. And even on smoke, it's not to be expected to actually manage to hit anything, only spook them, as they're still US torps and still only as fast as your average DD.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,319 posts
5,270 battles

It's not just the increase in TDS that higher tier ships get that's causing it, and your mind is not playing tricks on you: Lexington does get better torps than Midway. Lexington, Enterprise, and for some reason Saipan are the only three ships currently in the game that get the Mark 13-2 torpedo. Midway on the other hand, because it drops six fish at once, uses the same Short Mark 7 as Langley and Ranger. They're slower and do less damage, but since you get more of them it's supposed to balance out and make six hits from Midway better than three from Lexington or Enterprise.

Now Midway used to have the Mark 13-2, but that got nerfed early on in 0.8.0 during the flurry of hotfixes we got.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
1,382 posts
6,370 battles

Yeesh... I knew she had been nerfed at some point, but I feel that's a mite bit overkill of a nerf. I thought Hakuryu was the one with broken torps, not Midway?

[F3S]
[F3S]
Members
1,781 posts
3,577 battles

Midway torps are crap, to put it lightly.  Easily dodged, don't do any damage.  HUGE slap in the face getting nerfed.  The only thing they had good was decent flood chance, they took that away now they're worthless -- yes, I know, you're talking about how worthless and slow they are where even a battleship can turn and take only 2 MAYBE 3.  It's joke.

[SOV]
Members
2,918 posts

Midway torps are the same as t5 Marblehead! If you can land all 6 then its like a good bb salvo but trying to land...well......

You can still cross drop. Launch behind, never in front then go out about 5 or 6 km turn and you can get em broadside.

Midway greatness is the db.

[F3S]
[F3S]
Members
1,781 posts
3,577 battles
14 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Midway greatness is the db.

They're the slowest / dwellers so AA just shreds them

• Cool 1