You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Oldwolfdog

game just not FUN anymore

66 comments in this topic

[CDNUS]
Members
25 posts

After the CV change the Game is not that much fun to play anymore. Most of the time DDs run and hide and won't spot.

Only half the team will fight if your lucky and the rest hide, Can't win the game that way. I think I will take a break form the game and play something new.

• Cool 41
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2

[WOLF2]
Members
293 posts
5,803 battles

I hear ya, but I still have fun in my GK and Mino for a few games.  That being said, I'm picking up Total War Warhammer 2 soon or may go back and finish Witcher 3

• Cool 2

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
505 posts
1,584 battles

I still have fun with all ships types in the game.... to each their own I guess 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,820 posts
12,557 battles
8 minutes ago, Oldwolfdog said:

After the CV change the Game is not that much fun to play anymore. Most of the time DDs run and hide and won't spot.

Only half the team will fight if your lucky and the rest hide, Can't win the game that way. I think I will take a break form the game and play something new.

Meta is in flux and more changes coming in. Hang in there! 

Breaks are good, also don't forget there are other modes and tiers that don't have CV's plenty of fun to be had.

For me it is all still fun. 

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Members
3,162 posts
17,062 battles
19 minutes ago, Oldwolfdog said:

Are you kidding?

But there so many rabid forum posters that say it's OK and they love it now,  I'm so confused should I love it or it should I hate it

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,363 posts
11,875 battles
32 minutes ago, Oldwolfdog said:

CV's are great to spot ships but terrible to keep them spotted so DD's still need to get in the mix, they just can't go off on their own any more.

Only half the team fighting if you are lucky has been with us from the beginning.

Take a break, play low tier happy ships, play other games, go outside.

• Cool 1

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts

Either play a CV or play a lower tier AA ship.  That is the only way to play this game currently with out getting skyraped.

Edited by JonnyFreedom
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[UEFN]
Members
970 posts
17,551 battles
39 minutes ago, Oldwolfdog said:

Might i suggest Angry Bird game for you as a replacement?  :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[NG-NL]
Members
5,876 posts
9,528 battles
43 minutes ago, Oldwolfdog said:

Then take a break and come back later.

No way FPS CVs are leaving, but then again, I had no trouble adapting. Most of the complainers seem too attached to their concealment build for survival anyway, and WG has yet to offer a good alternative.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,690 battles
46 minutes ago, Oldwolfdog said:

No, sorry, I don't buy it.  If the CV change made it impossible to hide, where is the team going in order to hide?

DDs can't solo warrior as easily now, and if you can't accept that, adapt and overcome, then I wish you well at Hello Kitty Online.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WMD]
Members
962 posts
7,365 battles
6 minutes ago, Reymu said:

No way FPS CVs are leaving, but then again, I had no trouble adapting. Most of the complainers seem too attached to their concealment build for survival anyway, and WG has yet to offer a good alternative.

The problem is one class had it's only strength taken away with nothing given in return. If you weren't playing that class a lot it's not a big deal, if you were it's an unwelcome change to the game.

WG has decided that DDs will take a back seat now, and that's their decision to make, just don't expect people that enjoyed DDs to be happy about it.

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,690 battles
Just now, VeatherVitch said:

The problem is one class had it's only strength taken away with nothing given in return. If you weren't playing that class a lot it's not a big deal, if you were it's an unwelcome change to the game.

WG has decided that DDs will take a back seat now, and that's their decision to make, just don't expect people that enjoyed DDs to be happy about it.

No, sorry, I disagree.  DDs have not "had their only strength taken away".  Try adapting to the new meta.

DDs don't take a back seat to anything, and if that's your attitude, you weren't really a DD player anyways.

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
962 posts
7,365 battles
2 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

No, sorry, I disagree.  DDs have not "had their only strength taken away".  Try adapting to the new meta.

DDs don't take a back seat to anything, and if that's your attitude, you weren't really a DD player anyways.

Clearly I'm not a DD player... thanks for helping me realize the folly of my ways.

DDs strength was concealment, that has been significantly reduced in the new meta of CVs and strong AA CA/CL(also radar boats).  I have tried the new meta and found it to be unfun at best, downright infuriating at worst.

• Cool 6

[SALVO]
Members
21,726 posts
22,039 battles
41 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Same here.  IMO, the people who complain about not being able to play this or that ship type because of CVs probably couldn't play them well before the rework and they're just blaming carriers for their general lack of skill.

6 minutes ago, Reymu said:

The problem I see between game play and here, is that too many DD players just don't understand how difficult it is to find a DD that doesn't want to be spotted from the air can be VERY difficult to spot.  It can be done, but it requires a considerable amount of time or a good amount of luck.  A low concealment DD who has turned off his AA pretty much requires you to just about fly right over him to be spotted.

I was in a battle last night or the previous night in my Enterprise.  It was a 2 CV per team battle on Tears of the Desert and we were in the NE spawn.  (The other CV on my team was also an Enterprise.)   Our 2 CVs were hiding well into the NE, mostly along the east edge.  A while into the battle, I realized that my CV was spotted and yet there were no planes nearby.  Damn!  There was a DD in spotting range of my carrier.  That was a big holy crap moment, so I scrambled my rocket planes and the other Big E also scrambled a squadron.  We spotted him for a second, and made some attacks.  But after the first set of attacks, the enemy DD (a Lightning) disappeared.  We tried to reacquire him, but failed.  I couldn't imagine how he'd escaped.  A minute or so later, my CV was spotted again, so I scrambled planes yet again.  And found him behind me (North of me, along the eastern edge of the map).  He'd managed to escape by being so close to the map edge that both CVs' planes missed him.  We managed to get him dead, but ended up losing the battle.

My point in mentioning this incident is to point out that it is NOT impossible for a DD to avoid being air spotted OR even to escape once spotted a first time.  IT CAN BE DONE!!!  

Too many players here on the forums seem to think that carrier planes have some sort of magic auto-spotting working for them.  They don't.  Now, if a DD is capping, that limits where he can be, which makes it a LOT easier to find them.  But that's always going to be the case.  When you're trying to cap a base, the other team knows you're there … somewhere.  But if you're in the open water, and well away from the obvious places where DDs tend to be, i.e. on or near caps, your chances of avoiding detection increase.  And while carrier planes can no longer use Radio Location, if you're stalking an enemy ship that does have it, you should assume that that enemy ship is pinging the mini-map to notify his team's CV that there's an unspotted DD in a general area.  And that if there are any enemy planes nearby, they may very well start hunting you, not only for himself but for those enemy ships so that they too can target you.  Then again, this same tactic can be used to direct enemy DDs in your direction as well.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,363 posts
11,875 battles
31 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Not to mention that they are also locked into the tactics that worked before the rework.

[WMD]
Members
962 posts
7,365 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Same here.  IMO, the people who complain about not being able to play this or that ship type because of CVs probably couldn't play them well before the rework and they're just blaming carriers for their general lack of skill.

The problem I see between game play and here, is that too many DD players just don't understand how difficult it is to find a DD that doesn't want to be spotted from the air can be VERY difficult to spot.  It can be done, but it requires a considerable amount of time or a good amount of luck.  A low concealment DD who has turned off his AA pretty much requires you to just about fly right over him to be spotted.

I was in a battle last night or the previous night in my Enterprise.  It was a 2 CV per team battle on Tears of the Desert and we were in the NE spawn.  (The other CV on my team was also an Enterprise.)   Our 2 CVs were hiding well into the NE, mostly along the east edge.  A while into the battle, I realized that my CV was spotted and yet there were no planes nearby.  Damn!  There was a DD in spotting range of my carrier.  That was a big holy crap moment, so I scrambled my rocket planes and the other Big E also scrambled a squadron.  We spotted him for a second, and made some attacks.  But after the first set of attacks, the enemy DD (a Lightning) disappeared.  We tried to reacquire him, but failed.  I couldn't imagine how he'd escaped.  A minute or so later, my CV was spotted again, so I scrambled planes yet again.  And found him behind me (North of me, along the eastern edge of the map).  He'd managed to escape by being so close to the map edge that both CVs' planes missed him.  We managed to get him dead, but ended up losing the battle.

My point in mentioning this incident is to point out that it is NOT impossible for a DD to avoid being air spotted OR even to escape once spotted a first time.  IT CAN BE DONE!!!  

Too many players here on the forums seem to think that carrier planes have some sort of magic auto-spotting working for them.  They don't.  Now, if a DD is capping, that limits where he can be, which makes it a LOT easier to find them.  But that's always going to be the case.  When you're trying to cap a base, the other team knows you're there … somewhere.  But if you're in the open water, and well away from the obvious places where DDs tend to be, i.e. on or near caps, your chances of avoiding detection increase.  And while carrier planes can no longer use Radio Location, if you're stalking an enemy ship that does have it, you should assume that that enemy ship is pinging the mini-map to notify his team's CV that there's an unspotted DD in a general area.  And that if there are any enemy planes nearby, they may very well start hunting you, not only for himself but for those enemy ships so that they too can target you.  Then again, this same tactic can be used to direct enemy DDs in your direction as well.

So to sumarize;  Your proof DDs are great as things are, is a lone DD unable to use it's weapon systems for fear of being spotted, that gets spotted and killed anyway.

That's a very compelling arguement...

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

If you can't beat em.... join 'em! 

Everyone says the CV is the best place for us average, below-average players to go in WoWS, so hay, I'm all in. It's more fun than you may think... especially when everyone on your team blames you for the loss and neg's you when you carry. It's sweet for us zero karma people. 

But hey, i agree with others too... take a break, maybe four to six weeks? Things will surely be settled down by then. 

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
314 posts
12,208 battles
1 hour ago, Oldwolfdog said:

Are you also experiencing 400+ ticket margins when one team blows another team out of the water within 10 minutes and the game is over?

Because THAT is what's ruining the game IMO.

I had one close match last night. It was the first one in about 20 games that went 18 minutes and was about a 200 ticket margin until the last minute.

• Cool 1

[187]
[187]
Members
183 posts
17,154 battles
1 hour ago, Oldwolfdog said:

Maybe play some Co-op? I've been getting increasingly frustrated by all the negative effects from being forced to play CV's with only poor performing bots as AA gunners to shoot back with. CV's have a PvE advantage with no real counter.  I've tried going back to Co-Op and have been pleasantly surprised. Not as challenging as Random, but no frustration either. Just an idea. 75% of the player base find the CV Rework to have negatively impacted the game but WG appears to be "all-in" so there's no relief in sight. Random matches are a mess so maybe Ranked, Clan Battles, and yes, even Co-Op are the best choices.

Das Bat

[SALVO]
Members
21,726 posts
22,039 battles
1 minute ago, VeatherVitch said:

Clearly I'm not a DD player... thanks for helping me realize the folly of my ways.

DDs strength was concealment, that has been significantly reduced in the new meta of CVs and strong AA CA/CL(also radar boats).  I have tried the new meta and found it to be unfun at best, downright infuriating at worst.

You're wrong.

First of all, concealment is not the strength of all DDs.  If you're a Russian style gunboat DD that wants to be constantly firing, you're going to be lit up like a Christmas tree, not to mention that some of these gunboats have profoundly terrible concealment even when not firing their guns (cough.... Khab!).

Secondly, these new CVs did NOT ruin concealment play.  CVs were just as difficult on DDs' concealment before and actually worse, because true perma spotting was much more possible because an RTS CV could leave one of his multiple squadrons over your DD at will, and many carrier players wouldn't bother coming to assist you.  And if you were too far from friendly heavies, you were essentially permanently exposed until either you were killed or you could get back to your team mates.

As for the "new" meta, a) it doesn't really seem new at all to me, and b) I haven't had any difficulty adapting to whatever changes do seem to be around.  As someone who has played a LOT of DDs in my time, if anything in the game annoyed me as a DD player, it would be the free Situational Awareness skill, since it basically ruins any ability to stalk enemy ships.  Also, the Radio Location skill doesn't help either.  IMO, blaming CVs and radar is the lazy way out of having to blame the real culprits, SA and RPF.

[SALVO]
Members
21,726 posts
22,039 battles
16 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

So to sumarize;  Your proof DDs are great as things are, is a lone DD unable to use it's weapon systems for fear of being spotted, that gets spotted and killed anyway.

That's a very compelling arguement…

No, my proof was in HOW DIFFICULT it was to hunt down a DD that doesn't want to be found in the open ocean, when all the whiners make it sound like carrier planes can magically find DDs in a heartbeat!!!

As for not using its weapons, seriously?  You're going to use that foolish argument as a cudgel against carrier plane spotting?  ANY ship that uses AA or fires its guns increases its spotting range!!!  You think that DDs should be allowed to use AA or fire its guns and NOT have that increase their spotting range from the air?  That's utterly ridiculous and sort of a partial return to open water stealth firing!!!

[SALVO]
Members
21,726 posts
22,039 battles
18 minutes ago, FiveStarMojo said:

Are you also experiencing 400+ ticket margins when one team blows another team out of the water within 10 minutes and the game is over?

Because THAT is what's ruining the game IMO.

I had one close match last night. It was the first one in about 20 games that went 18 minutes and was about a 200 ticket margin until the last minute.

What are these tickets of which you speak?  Are the WG troopers pulling your ship over for speeding?  Or perhaps illegal parking?  Maybe they should stick a handicapped parking only sign behind islands, and ticket abusers of those spots?  :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
962 posts
7,365 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

You're wrong.

First of all, concealment is not the strength of all DDs.  If you're a Russian style gunboat DD that wants to be constantly firing, you're going to be lit up like a Christmas tree, not to mention that some of these gunboats have profoundly terrible concealment even when not firing their guns (cough.... Khab!).

Secondly, these new CVs did NOT ruin concealment play.  CVs were just as difficult on DDs' concealment before and actually worse, because true perma spotting was much more possible because an RTS CV could leave one of his multiple squadrons over your DD at will, and many carrier players wouldn't bother coming to assist you.  And if you were too far from friendly heavies, you were essentially permanently exposed until either you were killed or you could get back to your team mates.

As for the "new" meta, a) it doesn't really seem new at all to me, and b) I haven't had any difficulty adapting to whatever changes do seem to be around.  As someone who has played a LOT of DDs in my time, if anything in the game annoyed me as a DD player, it would be the free Situational Awareness skill, since it basically ruins any ability to stalk enemy ships.  Also, the Radio Location skill doesn't help either.  IMO, blaming CVs and radar is the lazy way out of having to blame the real culprits, SA and RPF.

So your agruement is more that:

A) on a very rare occasion prior to 0.8.0 1. A CV would be in the game 2.  Even more rare the CV would bother with the DDs 3. Even more rare still, was good enough to hit/sink a DD. 4. Had to multi-task controlling several Sqn at a time while under attack from their opposing CV.

is worse than;

B) A CV in almost every match, 1. That can't effectivly attack groups of ships so instead hunts down solo ships, or ships with weak AA(like DDs). 2. Can make repeated passes at the same ship with far more control of the release of munitions. 3. The CV can focus on a single task, with no opposition from the enemy CVs.

On the surface your arguement looks reasonable, but doesn't hold up under even a little scrutiny.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
21,726 posts
22,039 battles
1 minute ago, VeatherVitch said:

So your agruement is more that:

A) on a very rare occasion prior to 0.8.0 1. A CV would be in the game 2.  Even more rare the CV would bother with the DDs 3. Even more rare still, was good enough to hit/sink a DD. 4. Had to multi-task controlling several Sqn at a time while under attack from their opposing CV.

is worse than;

B) A CV in almost every match, 1. That can't effectivly attack groups of ships so instead hunts down solo ships, or ships with weak AA(like DDs). 2. Can make repeated passes at the same ship with far more control of the release of munitions. 3. The CV can focus on a single task, with no opposition from the enemy CVs.

On the surface your arguement looks reasonable, but doesn't hold up under even a little scrutiny.

Horse manure.

1. You, along with everyone else who was aware of the rework, knew … KNEW … that one of the primary goals of the rework was to get more players playing CVs and more  CVs being played overall.  To make it out like this is a bad thing is incredibly disingenuous.   I never saw a single player complain about this particular goal of the rework!  NOT ONE!!!

2.  Carriers have ALWAYS hunted down solo ships.  ALWAYS!!!  This is nothing new!!!

3.  Carriers now have far more control over release of weapons?  Nonsense!  Utter nonsense.  A carrier would be FAR more devastating when it could drop 6 torpedoes (that did  far more damage per torp) in a single drop where you would only have to make a single pass through the enemy ship's AA to do it, rather than having to make multiple passes (through the AA) to drop the same number of torps, assuming that you didn't lose any planes in a previous pass.

4. No opposition from fighters?  This could and often did happen with RTS CVs, because good CV players would eliminate the enemy fighters as a threat before making his bomber attacks, or at least keep them occupied so that the enemy fighters couldn't interfere.

Seems to me that the only thing that doesn't hold up to ANY scrutiny are your completely groundless arguments.

[90TH]
Members
984 posts
9,235 battles
1 hour ago, Koogus said:

By your battle count, I’m guessing you’re talking about something like Tier 6.  CV’s get worse as you climb.