You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
masterfish

Yamato Nerf? Why?

21 comments in this topic

[GWLF]
Members
12 posts
3,326 battles

Feel free to explain to me that I'm wrong.  I would love to be wrong about this.

But it looks a whole lot like Yamato, the venerable and beloved T10 which has been in the game essentially unchanged since the very beginning, just ate a massive nerf.

Her model update seems to have extended her bow plating to cover huge portions of the ship that used to be torpedo belt.  Comparing her new model to Musashi, which didn't get the model update (Why?  They're sister ships and should have the same model.), Yamato seems to only have 2/3 of the torpedo belt she used to.  It no longer covers her entire citadel; her turrets are also left uncovered by the belt.  Going off of armor mechanics, this means that one of Yamato's great strengths, her excellent torpedo protection, has just been stripped away, giving enemy torpedoes a direct route to her citadel the size of some lower-tier destroyers.  It also leaves her citadel even more vulnerable to incoming AP, and makes her a lot more likely to detonate when torpedoed.

Why?

Was Yamato overperforming?  Was she overwhelmingly powerful compared to other T10 battleships in too many situations?  I really don't think so.  Yamato wasn't weak before 8.3, but she certainly wasn't making Montana, Republique, or Conqueror unappealing, nor was she hot competition for Kreml's likely crown as the new king of brawlers.  Yamato was already the easiest T10 battleships to citadel, which was compensated for by an armor scheme that greatly rewarded careful angling and a torpedo belt that would protect you exceptionally well from incoming metal fish.

And now, based on her new armor scheme, it looks a lot like torpedoes have a free path right to her magazines, while incoming shells will have even less between them and her infamous citadel 'cheek' than they did before.  And for what?  A hundred more close range AA DPS and some superstructure on her stern for destroyers to farm?

It looks like Izumo might actually perform better than the line's T10 now, just because her armor and torpedo belt will protect her far more effectively.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong here.  I'd love to be wrong.

But from where I'm sitting it looks a lot like Yamato just ate a substantial and completely unnecessary nerf.

Edited by masterfish
  • Cool 4

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

Wish I'd thought to screen cap all her armor before the update. I got nothing to reference now. Say... where EXACTLY is her magazines located, like fer sure? 

[GWLF]
Members
12 posts
3,326 battles

Magazines are located in the turret barbettes, those big cylinders covered in heavy armor that the turrets rest on.  Musashi's are covered by her 32mm torpedo belt and a second layer of 32mm plating under that, giving them the protection of 55% torpedo damage reduction to defend them from detonation and citadel damage and a modest amount of troll armor that will occasionally give you 0 damage penetrations.  Yamato used to have the same protection.

Yamato's two forward barbettes are now protected only by her citadel armor and a single layer of 32mm schnozz with going off of armor mechanics 0% torpedo damage reduction.

But at least Yamato also has a 50mm funnel that can arm AP aimed at her superstructure now!  Yay!

Edited by masterfish

[WAIFU]
Supertester
736 posts
8,207 battles

Indeed something is weird.

Yamato before:

image.thumb.png.a69983b80e0134e74dbe6dce5c65a46f.png

Musashi:

image.thumb.png.c97ff5a1291def430c27983860442ea1.png

Yamato now:

image.thumb.png.1c1b2ec8518aa8c3b5fb730953be7e67.png

• Angry 1

Members
4,076 posts
9,016 battles

If they have nerfed my beloved Yamato I am going on a hunger strike.

[well least until dinner later]

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

I might join you after tonights mac 'n cheese with a freshly grilled burger. :cap_like:

Members
65 posts
574 battles

didn't you hear there is Newtrashinme you see i think its a bet they have on just how much they can screw this game and people will still play it because it's a simple. 

There is new currency too more points to grind out a new type of money to spend.

Capitalism and investors design our games now. Not gamers.

We play what they think will milk the most money from us. 

You were too happy with the Yomato Its time you get back to paying and grinding. Generate Revenue or get nerfed. 

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
516 posts

WG is trying to make their T10 BB be the king of stomp. Tweaking all the other in it's wake. Conquerer although still stupidly crazy now the Yamato. Next the GK..and the Republique, finally ending with the Montana making then more vulnerable to their guns. Oh wait "balancing" them in the wake of the NEW ships.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,712 posts
7,704 battles

I ran it through a training room to confirm, here the pictures, no I own't put them into a spoiler.

Perth torpedo hitting Yamato's midsection, so TDS reduction is guaranteed:

shot-19_04.26_04_22.15-0193.thumb.jpg.a6d7f16f938bdc7ff7814cd25ddd0206.jpg

6,799 damage in case the UI is too small

Perth Torpedo hitting A, B and C barbette in that order:

shot-19_04.26_04_22.40-0511.thumb.jpg.009b0b0a30534e3ffd1fb0b3e00fbf6e.jpgshot-19_04.26_04_30.50-0406.thumb.jpg.b1939411dd8057b3e2700a7faeaab42a.jpgshot-19_04.26_04_22.51-0596.thumb.jpg.b184edb8ed228ff33f090388715712c8.jpg

14,495 - 14,497 damage, so no TDS reduction.

So the TDS nerf seems to have happened indeed.

• Cool 3
  • Angry 1

[GWLF]
Members
12 posts
3,326 battles

Thank you for confirming that, SireneRacker.

So why, WG?  Why nerf Yamato for no apparent reason?

Edited by masterfish

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
393 posts
4,673 battles

Scary quiet from those that would know about this... I did a confirmation test too and looked at it in port. I hadn't noticed the old Yamato, but I see the difference between Musashi and Yamato now. If this were due to discovering details during their model research, I can understand why they might consider it but not putting it in patch notes just leads to suspicions of sneaky nerfs. Given the general frustrations the last few months, this only makes people more irritated. I hope we hear something back.

[H-WS]
Members
350 posts
5,637 battles

The other day I saw a topic about a Minotaur citadeling a Montana from max range.  I thought it was a troll/ignorant post with no replay, but they had proof and it really did happen.

now today, I see a post about a Yamato stealth nerf, that turns out to actually be true.  I think the fabric of forum reality is falling apart.

[IW]
Members
9 posts
2,349 battles

It's sad. I have a Yamato with the expensive permanent skin. I really don't know why WG have to be so greedy. I buy so much stuff from them. But look at the new Azure Lane stuff. $200 USD for all the captains. Seriously? Stealth nurfing T10 ships just so bad. I guess that's why I don't play this game much anymore.

[CVA16]
Members
3,638 posts
11,901 battles

WG wanted the new Soviet BBs to shine even brighter?  They did build the best warships in the world after all. 

Members
20 posts

They nerfed it because Russki BBs have to be the best!!  Play Russians or go home.. The bias is getting a bit stupid.

Just wait for the Russian CVs next joke line incoming non existent CVS to beat all.

[121ST]
[121ST]
Beta Testers
2 posts
8,244 battles

Hate to say it but I believe you're right. I did an air-drop of torps from my Hell-divers and one of the torps hit right under the Yamato's forward turrets and she went up and she was practically full health at the time. It shocked the hell outta me when it happened cuz I've never had that happen before with a Yamato.

[FNF]
Members
10 posts
603 battles

How about WG just add a submarine line exclusive to the Soviets, and give them homing torpedo capability specifically targeted towards Yamato's cheeks? Throw in some homing HE missiles for a bit more burn... Sprinkle in a bit o' sonar, toss in a bit o' 1 km detection, slap on some battleship-grade armor, mix in a blend of 200k health pool, drizzle with a bit of RN BB rebuild party and... Voilà! Perfectly balanced fun and engaging gameplay! 

[LODGE]
Members
283 posts
17,388 battles

Hmm...I once got a citadel on a Montana with a Kiev from behind and to the side a little, I think, and that very much surprised me. Now that I hear the story about the Minotaur citadelling the Montana, I'm starting to think there are some small spots where the armour model is bad.

" It's sad. I have a Yamato with the expensive permanent skin. I really don't know why WG have to be so greedy. I buy so much stuff from them. "

They're greedy because you tolerate their greed and keep spending. You should have cut them off as soon as they did something that displeased you.