You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Chasing Premium BB Unlocks in the Victory event.

15 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles

The bundles in the Armory add up to not less than 1000 doubloons per crate if you buy 25 of them, and 1250 doubloons for singles, with packages in between.

Therefore, guaranteeing yourself the Lazo by buying crates for unlocks puts the effective price at 20,000 doubloons or approximately $80 US, which is unacceptable for a Tier 7 premium cruiser. But it's really $99.99 because you cannot buy that many doubloons in the most efficient way without buying all 25 for 25,000 doubloons.

In Canadian dollar terms, which is what I have in front of me, a Tier 7 cruiser is about $50. The 25K doubloon package is $126 or thereabouts. That's $76 value that I have to find in the flags and camos I'll get, plus whatever unlocks I win, IF I win any.

I don't think the extra stuff is worth that much. Others may differ, but this is my position.

I will be grinding tokens in game for the Lazo, and if I fail there I will spend them on the permacamos they are offering for T8 tech tree ships.

The one good part of this is that if you buy enough crates, you WILL end up with a premium ship for your troubles. There is some guaranteed permanent content in this for the big spenders. And for that, WG must be praised. Credit where credit is due.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles

I have vowed to just play normally with no grinding and no real world money. I will get what I get

• Cool 1

[-WTP-]
Members
1,466 posts
3,435 battles
37 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The bundles in the Armory add up to not less than 1000 doubloons per crate if you buy 25 of them, and 1250 doubloons for singles, with packages in between.

Therefore, guaranteeing yourself the Lazo by buying crates for unlocks puts the effective price at 20,000 doubloons or approximately $80 US, which is unacceptable for a Tier 7 premium cruiser. But it's really $99.99 because you cannot buy that many doubloons in the most efficient way without buying all 25 for 25,000 doubloons.

In Canadian dollar terms, which is what I have in front of me, a Tier 7 cruiser is about $50. The 25K doubloon package is $126 or thereabouts. That's $76 value that I have to find in the flags and camos I'll get, plus whatever unlocks I win, IF I win any.

I don't think the extra stuff is worth that much. Others may differ, but this is my position.

I will be grinding tokens in game for the Lazo, and if I fail there I will spend them on the permacamos they are offering for T8 tech tree ships.

The one good part of this is that if you buy enough crates, you WILL end up with a premium ship for your troubles. There is some guaranteed permanent content in this for the big spenders. And for that, WG must be praised. Credit where credit is due.

What does the Lazo offer that the Irian, kustov (sp?) or even the schors not offer? Yes 100 USD sounds steep. 

I can go to uplay right now and buy anno 1800 for 60 USD. Puts things into perspective. 

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
789 posts
2,037 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I have vowed to just play normally with no grinding and no real world money. I will get what I get

Ditto...paying a lot of $$ for a very small chance of getting something in return is not worth it, and I did the same thing for the British DD unlocks, got 3 by just playing normally without buying crates.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,815 posts
12,548 battles
46 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah for me the plan is to buy part of it then earn the rest of it for free. I bought 7 which gave me 525 tokens. I hope I will be able to get the rest thru the event. Not sure if that is possible have not dived in that deep yet. Got the missions for the tier 5 and the tier 6, so that will be fun. 

[UFFA]
Members
1,695 posts
72 battles
10 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

What does the Lazo offer that the Irian, kustov (sp?) or even the schors not offer? Yes 100 USD sounds steep. 

I can go to uplay right now and buy anno 1800 for 60 USD. Puts things into perspective. 

Yeah Imperator: Rome just dropped so I think I will be able to fade to the west. If the patch had come out on time I might have dropped some money on crates. Now I have a different shiny to distract me. :cap_win:

[-WTP-]
Members
1,466 posts
3,435 battles
2 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Yeah Imperator: Rome just dropped so I think I will be able to fade to the west. If the patch had come out on time I might have dropped some money on crates. Now I have a different shiny to distract me. :cap_win:

Yeah i would love to get lazo because im a cruiser main, but i see no need for the Russian BBs. Saving my money this go around.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles
Just now, Legio_X_ said:

Based on what I've seen of it, its essentially a stock hull Chapayev at tier VII with an improved scout plane consumable, +1 sec reload, and tier VII bow and stern plating. Tougher than Shchors with more range but with lower DPM. It's main draw seems that it would serve as an excellent captain trainer for tier VI-IX soviet CLs. Load up the IFHE shells and go to town.

But, hey, you can earn it for free or at very low cost depending on how much you play the game over the next two months.

[-WTP-]
Members
1,466 posts
3,435 battles
Just now, Nevermore135 said:

Based on what I've seen of it, its essentially a stock hull Chapayev at tier VII with an improved scout plane consumable, +1 sec reload, and tier VII bow and stern plating. Tougher than Shchors with more range but with lower DPM. It's main draw seems that it would serve as an excellent captain trainer for tier VI-IX soviet CLs. Load up the IFHE shells and go to town.

But, hey, you can earn it for free or at very low cost depending on how much you play the game over the next two months.

Yeah...those crates gonna be a hard pass on me. Already have Irian. Will try and get lazo a “cheaper” way.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
7 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Yeah...those crates gonna be a hard pass on me. Already have Irian. Will try and get lazo a “cheaper” way.

And unlike the Irian, the cheaper way is more or less guaranteed free in game if you play long and well and hard enough; Irian was always an RNGesus prospect.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles
22 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Ditto...paying a lot of $$ for a very small chance of getting something in return is not worth it, and I did the same thing for the British DD unlocks, got 3 by just playing normally without buying crates.

That and three grindy multipart missions in a row burnt be out a bit. My budget does not have large amounts of discretionary spending available but I splurged on five of the Naval Aviation containers and got the Enterprise so I am quite happy.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
Members
1,695 posts
72 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And unlike the Irian, the cheaper way is more or less guaranteed free in game if you play long and well and hard enough; Irian was always an RNGesus prospect.

Irian was the ultimate gambler's high from what I understood of the crate system for the lunar new year promo. If you rolled just right you would get your doubloons back/be ahead on the last batch. If I grokked what some of the threads were claiming correctly. 

Just like people who just wanted one of the CVs. Be patient and see what the in game crates get you. Before you know it the VMF battleships will be with us either way.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
1 minute ago, Sparviero said:

Be patient and see what the in game crates get you. Before you know it the VMF battleships will be with us either way.

I know, and this is why I thought it was worth the splurge until I saw what the crates cost. At half that price, or maybe two thirds, I'd have considered it; the flags would have been worth the balance, especially with early unlocks, if the ship was guaranteed. But to spend the equivalent of 12000 doubloons for a ship which probably wouldn't be more than 9000 in store seems silly to me.

If I get the Lazo early enough, the rest of the tokens I earn will go on crates. And if I don't, I'm not too bothered. I have enough Tier 5 to Tier 8 battleships at the moment that I can wait a little while to grind the Russian ones; it's not like the Bretagne and Normandie, which gave me an early boost to T5 and T6 in battleships when I first got them.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,815 posts
12,548 battles

So jumped into the main event thread, looks like for me it should be fairly realistic to earn 1600-2400 tokens for the entire event. So that in combination with the 525 I just picked up should allow me to get every thing I want. So a $30 ish investment and more or less normal game play. 

Looks like the event will be fun and not to difficult. 

Cheers.