You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Have You Ever Played the Game on a Mobil Hotspot?

9 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
287 posts
12,224 battles

I've been at my camp the last several days where there is no internet access other than my cellphone.  I had several projects to do outside, but rain has had me confined to quarters the last couple of days.  So out of boredom and my addiction to WOWS, I started a game using a personal hotspot connection.  It worked.

I play on a laptop, not even a gaming laptop, so I'm not used to good performance.  Lag rates many complain about are the norm for me, I don't get upset until I go over 100 ms.  I've been getting LAG rates around 60-70 while connected to the cellphone, not good, but not much worse than what this PC does when connected at home.  Also, while playing using the hotspot I've only played co-op matches as I would hate to disadvantage my teammates if my connection experienced problems during a match.  (I did turn pink and lost a couple of Karma points when I lost connectivity at the start of a co-op game yesterday.)

Has anybody else done this and what were your thoughts about it if you did?

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles

Just out of curiosity, did you track your data usage?

[SRBL]
Members
280 posts
43 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

I've been at my camp the last several days where there is no internet access other than my cellphone.  I had several projects to do outside, but rain has had me confined to quarters the last couple of days.  So out of boredom and my addiction to WOWS, I started a game using a personal hotspot connection.  It worked.

I play on a laptop, not even a gaming laptop, so I'm not used to good performance.  Lag rates many complain about are the norm for me, I don't get upset until I go over 100 ms.  I've been getting LAG rates around 60-70 while connected to the cellphone, not good, but not much worse than what this PC does when connected at home.  Also, while playing using the hotspot I've only played co-op matches as I would hate to disadvantage my teammates if my connection experienced problems during a match.  (I did turn pink and lost a couple of Karma points when I lost connectivity at the start of a co-op game yesterday.)

Has anybody else done this and what were your thoughts about it if you did?

I've done it a few times and I've even played on United's Wi-Fi since I travel so much. The hotspot wasn't an issue, the Wi-Fi, not so much. 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,413 posts
9,144 battles

I exclusively play on mobile hotspot, even from other countries. If you have two or less bars, you'll have some latency issues, but 3 and above I haven't had problems.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
Grammar

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
287 posts
12,224 battles
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Just out of curiosity, did you track your data usage?

Playing the game does not use much data at all.  The 0.8.3 update that got downloaded this way was another story.  :cap_fainting:

[R-F]
[R-F]
Members
551 posts
23,500 battles

I have had the internet at my home drop from time to time and when it has I have set up a hot spot on my phone to use my desktop and it has worked fine. No difference in the gameplay at all. 

I use Verizon Wireless as a carrier with an unlimited data plan. 

[WOLF6]
Members
769 posts
4,898 battles

Sometimes I play tethered to my phone through wifi or USB when the hotel internet is spotty.   It's not bad at all.   I don't try to update though, although I don't have a data limit on the cellphone, it will get throttled if I use "too much."

But for playing games, it works just as well as a broadband connection.

The amount of data pushed through the pipe is not much to support a game, it's more a constant stream.  So when the stream 'Hiccups"  then the digital ships "freeze up" momentarily, then magically teleport to their actual server positions.  The ping spikes from 15-25ms to 100-300ms, then it goes back down to 15-25ms.  game moves on.

[PVE]
Members
15,717 posts
10,424 battles
1 hour ago, Joe_918145 said:

Have You Ever Played the Game on a Mobil Hotspot?

Mobil gas stations have hotspots now? Shiny. :Smile_hiding:

sorry, couldn't resist. :Smile_teethhappy: