Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
syd_

PSA for Steam users

27 comments in this topic

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles

If you use Steam but know of the trick to get the log in screen, the file you had to rename was steam_api.dll that was located in the typical install location C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\World of Warships. With the latest 0.8.3.1 update, the file name now is steam_api64.dll and it is located within C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\World of Warships\bin\1491147\bin64. I should also mention that the previous file name you had to change is still in its aforementioned location but had no effect as it did before so you must change the one in the bin64 folder to get the log in screen.

I also wanted to note that the ModStation updated just fine but I am unable to add a new client. Even though the worldofwarships64.exe is in the bin64 folder, ModStation errors that there is no game client in that folder even though the game starts from that executable located there. I submitted a ticket more than 21 hours ago but still no response.

• Cool 4

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles

One other thing to consider is to make a desktop shortcut directly from the worldofwarships64.exe located in the bin64 folder to insure you are actually using the 64-bit client. I don't really know which one Steam executes if you just hit the Play button and I am sure there is a way to configure it, but it's likely just as easy to make one directly from the executable.

Disregard as this is completely unnecessary.

Edited by syd_

[MFI]
Members
7 posts
2,783 battles

Probably it will take sometime to update ModStation even further. 8.3.1 was a big update anyway.

Keep us posted in any updates. ^^

Thank you,

[WOLF9]
Members
10,236 posts
4,366 battles
11 hours ago, syd_ said:

One other thing to consider is to make a desktop shortcut directly from the worldofwarships64.exe located in the bin64 folder to insure you are actually using the 64-bit client.

On the PC client I have a shortcut to the exe in the WoWS folder.  This is no longer a game client; it activates the client in the bin32 or bin64 directories as appropriate.

If you make a shortcut directly to one of the clients, all setup options will be gone, as it's using different .xml files.  Not really a problem, IMO.

So far the 64-but client feels smoother and looks better.  Good upgrade.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 2

[FORM]
Members
658 posts
6,813 battles
5 hours ago, syd_ said:

If you use Steam but know of the trick to get the log in screen, the file you had to rename was steam_api.dll ...

First, as someone who usually launches through Steam - thanks for the heads up!

Second, I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about though, as I don't seem to be having any issues so far... ;)

But, is there a way to know if we're running the 64 bit version once it launches? I looked around at help and settings and profile in game, didn't see anything. 

FYI - when I added WoWS to the Steam library I think I just went to the shortcut in the install folder, I don't recall renaming any .dll file to do it. Anyway, today (like yesterday pre-patch,) when I startup Steam and click "play" on WoWS, it takes me to the login screen. Is there any way in game to tell if I'm using the 64 bit client? The game seems to be running fine today (5 battles in,) though it always seemed to run pretty smooth - aside from port crap, which doesn't seem as bad today at all. Tnx again for the info, I'm sure it'll save someone a lot of trouble if they have issues.

[MFI]
Members
7 posts
2,783 battles
23 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Is there any way in game to tell if I'm using the 64 bit client?

Yes, open your game as you normally do.

Once inside the game, press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open your task manager.

Locate the World of Warships process and click the arrow to expand it.

You should see Wargamint.net Error Monitor and World of Warships (again) running.

Right click on the second World of Warships and click "Open file location".

Windows explorer will open and highlight the version of the game you're running.

task.png

Edited by mad_dog_hoek
Mistyped.
  • Cool 2

[FORM]
Members
658 posts
6,813 battles
18 minutes ago, mad_dog_hoek said:

Yes, open your game as you normally do. Once inside the game, press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open your task manager...

You sir should write technical manuals! Thanks for the step by step, and I am running the 64 bit version, so double yay!

• Funny 1

[GT99]
Members
614 posts
8,683 battles
28 minutes ago, mad_dog_hoek said:

You should see Wargamint.net Error Monitor and World of Warships (again) running.

Windows explorer will open and highlight the version of the game you're running.

task.png

You can also right click and select Go to details and it will highlight the .exe in the details tab for you and show it.

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles

Thank you for the replies everyone. And yeah, I should have known better to at least try out the regular Play button because confirmed that it does in fact default to the 64-bit client. I would highly suspect that is based on which variant of Windows one is using which would make complete sense. . .something not usually associated with regular computer use.

[WOLF9]
Members
10,236 posts
4,366 battles
3 hours ago, mad_dog_hoek said:

task.png

In WIn7, look at the Processes tab.  You will see WorldofWarship64.exe or WorldofWarship32.exe running.  No need to go searching for the file location.

[WOLF8]
Members
5,136 posts
4,927 battles

Is this for people who are playing through Steam, and yet using their pre-existing WG account?

Because when I first signed up for WoWs, I signed up through Steam, and then later registered my account with WG at WG's own official WoWs website.

I don't have to do this "file renaming" mumbo jumbo, right?

[WOLF9]
Members
10,236 posts
4,366 battles
2 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Is this for people who are playing through Steam, and yet using their pre-existing WG account?

Because when I first signed up for WoWs, I signed up through Steam, and then later registered my account with WG at WG's own official WoWs website.

I don't have to do this "file renaming" mumbo jumbo, right?

If you're playing a straight WG client and NOT through Steam, there's no renaming involved. 

As for transferring your account, I didn't know that was possible.  If you started with a non-Steam account, you could do some file manipulation and get it to start in Steam.  But going the other way, if you registered through Steam and later installed a non-Steam client signing into the same account, you should be good but I've never seen it.  Is that what you did?

[WOLF8]
Members
5,136 posts
4,927 battles
8 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

If you're playing a straight WG client and NOT through Steam, there's no renaming involved. 

As for transferring your account, I didn't know that was possible.  If you started with a non-Steam account, you could do some file manipulation and get it to start in Steam.  But going the other way, if you registered through Steam and later installed a non-Steam client signing into the same account, you should be good but I've never seen it.  Is that what you did?

Last I heard, the whole file-renaming-thingie was for the people who originally played WoWs through a straight WG client, but wanted to switch over to Steam for something something reasons. However, when you start up WoWs through Steam for the first time, you can't transfer your existing account, but you had to sign up for a new one. Doing the file-renaming-thingie would allow such people to log in using their existing account through Steam, instead of signing up for a new one. The caveat was that you couldn't earn any Steam-related achievement for WoWs, nor use the Steam wallet.

I never played this game before I started it through Steam, so when I joined up I just made a new account, like it's supposed to normally. I can earn the Steam achievements, and can use Steam wallet on the in-game Premium Shop. Hooray me, lol.

So I guess whatever advice in this thread doesn't really apply to me... but I wish OP would make that clear so people like me won't get confused.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[WOLF9]
Members
10,236 posts
4,366 battles

I'd been playing for a while and when WG introduced the Steam client, I created a Steam account to see what that side was all about.  I still have it and play it occasionally.

I just tried logging into my Steam account through the new x64 client.  It works fine! Even picked up the mods I'd applied to the new client.  Hmmm.  Makes be think I don't need this Steam installation...

[WOLF8]
Members
5,136 posts
4,927 battles
30 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I'd been playing for a while and when WG introduced the Steam client, I created a Steam account to see what that side was all about.  I still have it and play it occasionally.

I just tried logging into my Steam account through the new x64 client.  It works fine! Even picked up the mods I'd applied to the new client.  Hmmm.  Makes be think I don't need this Steam installation...

Well, if you have already played this game without Steam... then I think you're right. Why would anyone need Steam for this game, TBH?

But I signed up for this game through the Steam in the first place, plus I like Steam in general (including the Steam wallet). So I'm staying with Steam.

Since I also registered my account with WG after I started playing, I can technically log in both ways... the Steam or the vanilla WG client... but I don't think it's worth bothering to do that, lol.

[MFI]
Members
7 posts
2,783 battles
23 hours ago, syd_ said:

I also wanted to note that the ModStation updated just fine but I am unable to add a new client. Even though the worldofwarships64.exe is in the bin64 folder, ModStation errors that there is no game client in that folder even though the game starts from that executable located there. I submitted a ticket more than 21 hours ago but still no response.

Hey Syd! Modstation was updated to version 1.6.1.0.

I suggest you download it again perhaps.

http://dl-wows-gc.wargaming.net/projects/mods/ModStation/release/1.6.1.0/WorldOfWarships.ModStation.Setup.exe

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles
3 hours ago, mad_dog_hoek said:

Hey Syd! Modstation was updated to version 1.6.1.0.

I suggest you download it again perhaps.

http://dl-wows-gc.wargaming.net/projects/mods/ModStation/release/1.6.1.0/WorldOfWarships.ModStation.Setup.exe

When I tried to add a client, I kept getting an error that said there was no client in that sub-folder when clearly that was not the case. Tried it with the bin32, bin64 and even the clientrunner sub-folders without success. I un-installed then downloaded and ran 1.6.1 and it worked for installing the few that I use, except for enabling and turning off the limit of replays. Still kind of odd that you can't add the client from the bin32 or bin64 folders but at least thankful they finally fixed it for Steam users.

[MFI]
Members
7 posts
2,783 battles

Yeah, I'm having the very same problem here Syd. ):

I'm trying to solve the issue here:

[MFI]
Members
7 posts
2,783 battles
3 hours ago, syd_ said:

When I tried to add a client, I kept getting an error that said there was no client in that sub-folder when clearly that was not the case. Tried it with the bin32, bin64 and even the clientrunner sub-folders without success. I un-installed then downloaded and ran 1.6.1 and it worked for installing the few that I use, except for enabling and turning off the limit of replays. Still kind of odd that you can't add the client from the bin32 or bin64 folders but at least thankful they finally fixed it for Steam users.

Well Syd, finally got it to work again.

There is no other way, you gotta uninstall and install the GAME again, and Modstation afterwards as well.

Untitled.png

[WOLF9]
Members
10,236 posts
4,366 battles
On 4/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, syd_ said:

I also wanted to note that the ModStation updated just fine but I am unable to add a new client.

What client are you trying to add?  The [WoWS]64 executable?  You shouldn't be able to as that is not a full client -- the res_mod folder where mods live is not in that folder.  Use the .exe in the Games\[WoWS] folder as your client.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,719 posts
7,021 battles
28 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

What client are you trying to add?  The [WoWS]64 executable?  You shouldn't be able to as that is not a full client -- the res_mod folder where mods live is not in that folder.  Use the .exe in the Games\[WoWS] folder as your client.

Clearly you do not use Steam. Each update adds /bin folder under the main wows subdirectory. That's where the .exe resides. Usually it's just a matter of pointing modstation to the new bin directory. Now there are 3 (x32,  x64, and a new one called clientrunner) that have .exe's.  None of them are recognized by modstation. 

[N-W-T]
Members
1,719 posts
7,021 battles
2 hours ago, mad_dog_hoek said:

Well Syd, finally got it to work again.

There is no other way, you gotta uninstall and install the GAME again, and Modstation afterwards as well.

Actually I just got home and Modstation updated again when I launched (it updated yesterday too).  I got to work without uninstalling wows.  I initially tried pointing it to the .exe's again under the /bin folders, but that didn't work. I saw the post in the mods forum with you in it, and simply hitting the Refresh key enabled the mods for me. Hopefully it works that way going forward, instead of having to drill down the the /bin folders. 

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Clearly you do not use Steam. Each update adds /bin folder under the main wows subdirectory. That's where the .exe resides. Usually it's just a matter of pointing modstation to the new bin directory. Now there are 3 (x32,  x64, and a new one called clientrunner) that have .exe's.  None of them are recognized by modstation.

Yes, exactly what DM just stated here. The only thing I have in the Games directory is the Public Test Server client. The whole thing is different for Steam users compared to WGC. Steam installs pretty much everything in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ folder such as, in my case, Order of Battle, ARMA 2 and 3, Civ 5, Hearts of Iron IV. . .and World of Warships. 

The main reason I even use Steam for the game is because WGC was pretty wonky for a long time and I don't really care for intrusive bloatware for other WG games I have no interest in.

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles
19 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Last I heard, the whole file-renaming-thingie was for the people who originally played WoWs through a straight WG client, but wanted to switch over to Steam for something something reasons. However, when you start up WoWs through Steam for the first time, you can't transfer your existing account, but you had to sign up for a new one. Doing the file-renaming-thingie would allow such people to log in using their existing account through Steam, instead of signing up for a new one. The caveat was that you couldn't earn any Steam-related achievement for WoWs, nor use the Steam wallet.

I never played this game before I started it through Steam, so when I joined up I just made a new account, like it's supposed to normally. I can earn the Steam achievements, and can use Steam wallet on the in-game Premium Shop. Hooray me, lol.

So I guess whatever advice in this thread doesn't really apply to me... but I wish OP would make that clear so people like me won't get confused.

Apologies for your confusion, but this can also apply to those who started their account through Steam and then registered an email account and password through WG, while also having the flexibility to log in to either a pre-existing account or one created through Steam. Yes, it is completely unnecessary if you only have a single Steam account and don't have any other account on NA or the other international servers.

For me, this all started when WOWS first showed up in Steam. I created an account there mostly in anticipation that I would be able to transfer the WG account I have had for 7+ years to that account. Not to be, unfortunately.

Sign in to follow this