You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
chitownhustler17

say it ain't so

74 comments in this topic

Members
39 posts
1,071 battles

let me begin this by saying upfront that i'm a relatively new player to WoW (about 300 Random Battles). i am also a below-average player so don't go rushing off to check my stats so you can verify the legitimacy of my point. i'm saving you the trouble. 

i recently uninstalled World of Tanks after becoming disenchanted with the directions WG have taken it, and came to WoW hoping to find a better experience. although i've found the community to be more pleasant than WoT, and the pace of the game more to my liking, i am having misgivings about the game due to the excess number of CV's. i rarely see a battle with no CV's and even rarer do i see one with less than 2. further as i move up in tiers, it's not rare that i see THREE CV's per team; frequently in matches without a full team of 12 players on each team. o

i forced myself to not race up thru the Tech Tree to higher tiers. i want to groom commanders skills and my own understanding of the game and it's mechanics before i move up. as of this post i have up to tier 6 and mostly USN Cruisers. that being said, i'm on the cusp of moving up to  tier 7 now, and am trying more DD's and even an occasional BB, but i find i'm having a major problem.

as i move up in the tiers; it seems like this game is nothing more than "Dodge the CV aircraft". seriously, i don't seem to possess the skills necessary to do anything else BUT dodge enemy carrier planes. swarms of them. i've got strong AA builds on my Pensacola and Dallas and it's rare that i don't down 20 planes or more but it's NO FUN. it is way way worse than the arty problem in WoT IMHO. i spend the entire match dodging and weaving and trying to stay with a group of friendlies but in the end i often end up with a sunken ship and no damage done except those planes i shot down. 

therefore, i am left with one rhetorical question and that is wth? i find myself looking for something better again. say it ain't so Joe

• Cool 23
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

You had the unluckiness to start the game at a transitioning period, with CVs getting adjusted each patch. In addition their popularity has increased since the new system is more accessible to players. At the moment I can only recommend Operations, Co op and patience if you don't want to encounter CVs.

• Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
6 minutes ago, chitownhustler17 said:

as of this post i have up to tier 6 and mostly USN Cruisers. that being said, i'm on the cusp of moving up to  tier 7 now, and am trying more DD's and even an occasional BB, but i find i'm having a major problem.

Yes, you do. You're at too high a tier for the number of battles. You're not experienced enough. Slow down.

What @warheart1992 said is also correct.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

Considering the age of this game now, as it does seem to play a role, the best way to look at this whole issue is in comparison to RL... 

It somewhat mirrors the latter years of WWII, when carriers first started to dominate surface ships. Hey, for all we know they may have a second, "post-war" mode planned down the road, you know? 

Carrier players would (i think) be happy if they stopped getting up-tiered into battles two tiers above them. Everyone else would be happy and settle down (I think) if carriers were limited to one per team above tier 7.  Again, I think that might go a long way towards making things settle. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yes, you do. You're at too high a tier for the number of battles. You're not experienced enough. Slow down.

What @warheart1992 said is also correct.

It took my thick-head a thousand battles before I understood that @Ensign_Cthulhu Good advice. 

• Cool 1

[FGNE]
Members
627 posts
3,207 battles

I feel you. Back when I was “your age” (as in number of battles), I had the same problem (but with RTS CVs), this is an issue you’ll face through your next 700 battles (at least), and not just with CVs, but other stuff as well (i.e. radar), it is the learning curve for all game mechanics, don’t worry, it’ll become second nature further down the road.

Besides the already given advice I recommend you to try CVs, even if only to know what is like for the player on the other side, ... know your enemy.

Edited by CO_Valle

[INTEL]
Members
10,638 posts
29,962 battles

If you want CV-free gameplay with decent XP, your best bet is operations.

We run a large discord server dedicated to ops. PM me and I will send you a Discord invite. 

• Cool 1

Members
351 posts
4,632 battles

The game is not as good as it was prior to the CV rework. CV's could torp strike you to death prior but they could not perma spot basically like they can now and keep you highlighted on the map for everyone else to see, dodging your way back to your spawn. Yes, you are now playing World Of Dodging the Airplanes and World of Look at Me on the Map instead. I would rather have the pre-release anyday like many people. WoW did this to cash grab all the wanna be CV players that couldn't handle the RTS style prior since this Easy Mode is available for any person with half a brain and a coffee in the other hand. Your choice is join this lot, play lower tiers or hope WoW in all their wisdom will turn off Perma Spot (tm) and make CV's actually counterable. Have Fun!

Edited by Steeler_Nation_USA
  • Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
6 minutes ago, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

The game is not as good as it was prior to the CV rework. CV's could torp strike you to death prior but they could not perma spot basically like they can now and keep you highlighted on the map for everyone else to see, dodging your way back to your spawn. Yes, you are now playing World Of Dodging the Airplanes and World of Look at Me on the Map instead. I would rather have the pre-release anyday like many people. WoW did this to cash grab all the wanna be CV players that couldn't handle the RTS style prior since this Easy Mode is available for any person with half a brain and a coffee in the other hand. Your choice is join this lot, play lower tiers or hope WoW in all their wisdom will turn off Perma Spot (tm) and make CV's actually counterable. Have Fun!

Bitter and vindictive much???

14 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

Besides the already given advice I recommend you to try CVs, even if only to know what is like for the player on the other side

I agree. It will have the side benefit that it will keep the OP in the T4 destroyer of their chosen nation for another 11K XP to unlock that carrier, and that will help them be more familiar with the type (i.e. destroyers).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SOV]
Members
2,918 posts
37 minutes ago, chitownhustler17 said:

let me begin this by saying upfront that i'm a relatively new player to WoW (about 300 Random Battles). i am also a below-average player so don't go rushing off to check my stats so you can verify the legitimacy of my point. i'm saving you the trouble. 

i recently uninstalled World of Tanks after becoming disenchanted with the directions WG have taken it, and came to WoW hoping to find a better experience. although i've found the community to be more pleasant than WoT, and the pace of the game more to my liking, i am having misgivings about the game due to the excess number of CV's. i rarely see a battle with no CV's and even rarer do i see one with less than 2. further as i move up in tiers, it's not rare that i see THREE CV's per team; frequently in matches without a full team of 12 players on each team. o

i forced myself to not race up thru the Tech Tree to higher tiers. i want to groom commanders skills and my own understanding of the game and it's mechanics before i move up. as of this post i have up to tier 6 and mostly USN Cruisers. that being said, i'm on the cusp of moving up to  tier 7 now, and am trying more DD's and even an occasional BB, but i find i'm having a major problem.

as i move up in the tiers; it seems like this game is nothing more than "Dodge the CV aircraft". seriously, i don't seem to possess the skills necessary to do anything else BUT dodge enemy carrier planes. swarms of them. i've got strong AA builds on my Pensacola and Dallas and it's rare that i don't down 20 planes or more but it's NO FUN. it is way way worse than the arty problem in WoT IMHO. i spend the entire match dodging and weaving and trying to stay with a group of friendlies but in the end i often end up with a sunken ship and no damage done except those planes i shot down. 

therefore, i am left with one rhetorical question and that is wth? i find myself looking for something better again. say it ain't so Joe

I havw never seen a 3 cv game and cv is all I play. You must be having some really bad luck.

• Cool 1

Members
39 posts
1,071 battles
5 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I havw never seen a 3 cv game and cv is all I play. You must be having some really bad luck.

never? wow. that surprises me. i see it frequently and i'm never a "one player team" so others are seeing it too :)

maybe you are having really GOOD luck! 

Members
39 posts
1,071 battles
26 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

If you want CV-free gameplay with decent XP, your best bet is operations.

We run a large discord server dedicated to ops. PM me and I will send you a Discord invite. 

thank you. i may take you up on your offer.

i am not looking for carrier-free play because i like the concept and variety, i just their implentation is quite poor. too much of a good thing. just like arty in World of Tanks. what do all these players see that WG doesn't see? i get this is a business for them and that the bottom line is all that really matters. but, what are you doing to that bottom line if you hack off all your clients?

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,818 posts
10,204 battles
41 minutes ago, chitownhustler17 said:

lit is way way worse than the arty problem in WoT IMHO. i spend the entire match dodging and weaving and trying to stay with a group of friendlies but in the end i often end up with a sunken ship and no damage done except those planes i shot down. 

To be fare, CVs are nothing like arty in WoT past, present or future. Arty, past present and future give you no warning of any kind before they smack you and kill half your crew while stunning them at rhe same time. 

CV aircraft give a considerable amount of warning and there is a reasonable amount of mitigation against them unlike WoT where your only chance is a super heavy spall liner. 

USN cruisers and Destroyers bask in planes, they are the one tech tree designed for shooting them in this game. If CVs have become too much, i suggest operations or coop which is perfect since your at t6.

Use AP when ever possible In your USN cruisers against semi-angled targets and farm tears or bots; which is the anthem of Pensacola and the hobby of Dallas.

WoWs is a much more complex game than WoT but its a more rewarding and convenient game. There are others out there, but you'd be hard pressed to find an mmo 20th century military game that's remotely as convenient as WoWs.

• Cool 1

Members
39 posts
1,071 battles
1 minute ago, Crokodone said:

To be fare, CVs are nothing like arty in WoT past, present or future. Arty, past present and future give you no warning of any kind before they smack you and kill half your crew while stunning them at rhe same time. 

CV aircraft give a considerable amount of warning and there is a reasonable amount of mitigation against them unlike WoT where your only chance is a super heavy spall liner. 

USN cruisers and Destroyers bask in planes, they are the one tech tree designed for shooting them in this game. If CVs have become too much, i suggest operations or coop which is perfect since your at t6.

Use AP when ever possible In your USN cruisers against semi-angled targets and farm tears or bots; which is the anthem of Pensacola and the hobby of Dallas.

WoWs is a much more complex game than WoT but its a more rewarding and convenient game. There are others out there, but you'd be hard pressed to find an mmo 20th century military game that's remotely as convenient as WoWs.

first off, you are correct. arty is not an aircraft carrier. or vice versa. but, the analogy is valid since they are both elements of different games with one thing in common: their play style is unique in their own games and they are both being overdone by WG.

the end result is also something they have in common: they affect the games negatively. of course this is subjective and only my opinion. if you think it's all good, then for you it's all good. why limit teams to just 2 or 3 carriers then?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
3,033 posts
22,008 battles

I've never seen a 3 cv per team game either. I guess it doesn't matter really, one on each team is enough to suck the fun out of a match.

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,688 posts
3,560 battles

I get that you dont like CVs, a lot of people dont... but you cant just wish away a class of ship. The time for that was 4 years ago in the CBT.

[TWFT]
Members
1,102 posts
31,690 battles
53 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Considering the age of this game now, as it does seem to play a role, the best way to look at this whole issue is in comparison to RL... 

It somewhat mirrors the latter years of WWII, when carriers first started to dominate surface ships. Hey, for all we know they may have a second, "post-war" mode planned down the road, you know? 

Carrier players would (i think) be happy if they stopped getting up-tiered into battles two tiers above them. Everyone else would be happy and settle down (I think) if carriers were limited to one per team above tier 7.  Again, I think that might go a long way towards making things settle. 

The problem Herr is that most of the ships in the game are pre CC/Domination ships.  WG has decided that CV's just have to be a part of the game now and will do anything to accommodate them because they think it will attract more players.  With WG hell bent on making CV's just as balanced as all the other ship classes, they have changed the game so much that the current player base is pissed off, not playing as much, not paying money in to it and generally looking for another past time.

When I first started playing WoWS was really all about gun vs gun.  CV's were in the game, but they really weren't a game changer in till the really good players mastered the class and would just make it hell for the enemy team, if that team had a sub par CV driver.  The problem in the early days was not that CV's were in the game, the problem was that MM would have to match a potato CV drivers up against A Unicom CV driver. 

The uni would just make the match a crap fest.

So the solution that the player base called for was "Please WG could you do skilled MM for CV's?"

And WG said "Nyet" and instead gave us the crappy CV RW to force more CV's into the game.  WG has to make money off of all the work they did with CV's I guess.  Well message received WG and I stopped paying into the game and don't que up as much now.

I came here because of the ships, because it was put to me that I could face a like minded player and have a chance to defeat him on a equal field, CV's are not equal to any other ship and trying to "Balance" them will just make it a CV game.

Welcome to World of Warplanes, with a few ships

Edited by Turbotush
  • Cool 4

Members
0 posts
1 hour ago, chitownhustler17 said:

It's so, Joe.

Welcome to World of Warplanes - Bird Farm Edition

Play Co-op or quit, that's about it.

• Cool 2

Members
39 posts
1,071 battles
2 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

I get that you dont like CVs, a lot of people dont... but you cant just wish away a class of ship. The time for that was 4 years ago in the CBT.

your reading comprehension must be failing you today. i never said i don't like carriers. in fact i do like carriers. i am having a problem with their IMPLEMENTATION. 

do you see the difference?

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,818 posts
10,204 battles
1 minute ago, chitownhustler17 said:

first off, you are correct. arty is not an aircraft carrier. or vice versa. but, the analogy is valid since they are both elements of different games with one thing in common: their play style is unique in their own games and they are both being overdone by WG.

the end result is also something they have in common: they affect the games negatively. of course this is subjective and only my opinion. if you think it's all good, then for you it's all good. why limit teams to just 2 or 3 carriers then?

I've been playing thos game since beta and I've never seen anything more than 2 cvs per battle. Ive seen one replay with three, but this patch WG will be limiting the number of CVs in the higher tiers. Current CVs are more annoying but put up only a quarter as many aircraft. 

Also, the new CVs of today are totally fps, whereas arty in WoT is satalite bombardment view.

The difference is, CVs struggle to deal equal tier damage. A dude listed a graph showing average CV damage a d its appallingly poor. T6 CVs do less damage than t4 BBs and t4 BBs are in a rough spot.

The thing about CVs is it forces you to include your nearest ally in your plans. Which is hard if your operating a t4 destroyer.

[_RNG_]
Members
709 posts
5,625 battles

Welcome to the game @chitownhustler17. My advice is: keep playing, keep practicing and give it some time. There's a lot of subtlety about putting yourself in the right spot to avoid aerial attack. That is part of the fun of the game though, is simply outsmarting the other team (as opposed to outgunning them). At a certain point it becomes second nature. You just go out there and cruise around and you're in the right place at the right time getting kills and winning games. It'll come.

And also I'll repeat: take your time at each tier. Play lots of games in different ships at each tier. Savor it. It's easy to avoid frustration by just playing more games at the level you're at instead of trying to compete with players who will wreck you.

You might face the opposite problem of the game being too easy, but you can't have it both ways. Just spend more time at a lower tier and savor the subtleties of the game.

I've been playing over a year now and recently started the British Destroyer line at the beginning. It's been really fun playing low tier games and feeling like I am contributing to a win instead of just trying to survive. I'm learning a lot that helps me when I do play mid- and high-tier games.

And I have enough experience that CVs don't bother me (at least not right now). You will get there.

Edited by Jester_of_War

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

@Turbotush I remember all that as well, being just barely a Beta tester. I knocked on the door many times to get into Alpha but they were full. 

I played the low tier carriers and really enjoyed them, you know, the tiers without manual strafing? Strafing for me was the worst because (imo) the control interface was so borked up it wasn't funny. Sure, you could group a flight of aircraft together like any good RTS system. Select another flight and that previous control group was gone. Insanity. Plus, my old man fingers simply were not fast enough nor coordinated enough for the manual strafing game, so I researched up to the manuals, obtained them and let them set. I played lower tiers. 

I surely do miss the "alpha damage" you could inflict on those who wandered around aimlessly. Heck, you'd often get players calling out to you to sink one of their team's ships! The cross drops alone were well worth the price of admission. From the air, they looked like the fingers of two hands squeezing together until the red ship would pop into ball of fire. Sad for the target but in a very strange way, very satisfying for the carrier player. It looked really nice from above. 

I do remember the carrier sweeps you described. Heck our AA(A) back then was akin to firing BeeBees at aircraft. Nothing. I used to beach about it, especially as a DD player. There was simply NOTHING YOU COULD DO ABOUT IT but sink. Or run back to your fleet. Those were your two options. 

From my perspective, things have been much worse balance-wise in this game then... were you here when the Cleveland was known as The Firestarter, or The Bringer of Fire? OMG I hated that ship as I did the grind to reach her. Of course, as things work, not long after I got to her, she was hammered. 

Looking back is always easier than looking ahead. There have been some real knuckle-head choices made in the past. If you look at most of the "wrong" choices, you'll see almost every time, the player base knew better than the developers gave them credit for knowing. It's probably always going to be this way. 

RUBBs are my hope for redirecting the anguish people have right now. If you think carriers are a haven for potatoes (as a few have suggested), the new ships should be near heaven for those players. Will be interesting to see if they are OP for a week or so. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,478 posts
12,205 battles
12 minutes ago, chitownhustler17 said:

Now your last question brought happy thoughts.

Imagine loading into a 11v11 CV match with a DD. An AA build Groz or maybe a Kidd. Instead of heading for a cap just ease up beside the closest top tier CV and wait. Let the CVs beat each other to oblivion while you sip your fav beverage and get a snack. When the CVs no longer have full squads, head out and do your thing.

If your CVs were better, easy win. If the red CVs were better you got to enjoy watching CVs die. Win-win.

[SALVO]
Members
21,713 posts
22,016 battles
47 minutes ago, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

BULL!!!  CVs could perma spot you far more effectively before vs now.  Most CV players didn't give a rat's behind about coming to help destroy or drive off the squadron that was perma spotting a DD.   The only way you could be  certain to get rid of the perma spotting planes was to head for a friendly heavy!!!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1