You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Roon vs other tier 9 cruisers

29 comments in this topic

[DRNX]
Members
390 posts
7,698 battles

Is the Roon a decent tier 9 cruiser compared to the others? I really want the hindy but I don't want to fxp to it since I'm saving for other things. What are your thoughts on her and how easy of a grind is she? Please give me your opinions the more the merry. TIA

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,319 posts
5,270 battles

I love my Roon, still have her and she's still near the top of my favorite tier 9s. Did you like Nurnberg? Well that's what Roon is, except Roon can take a hit and gets 8" guns that can even citadel German BATTLESHIPS if RNGsus favors you enough. She's a good all-range ship: Solid fire-starting ability and a kiting turret layout for long range work, awesome AP for mid-range, and that great German hydro and a low turtle-back citadel for when things get up close and personal skulking around islands.

If I were to pick a bad tier 9 cruiser it would not be Roon, she's one of many that's in the running as a decidedly good ship. You want a bad tier 9 cruiser? One that makes you suffer and work for your tier 10? Play Seattle.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
15,354 posts
12,506 battles

It's about as inept as the other T9 tech tree cruisers.

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Is the Roon a decent tier 9 cruiser compared to the others? I really want the hindy but I don't want to fxp to it since I'm saving for other things. What are your thoughts on her and how easy of a grind is she? Please give me your opinions the more the merry. TIA

Roon is a strange but effective IX Cruiser because of her gun layout which is like V Konigsberg.  I didn't have many issues with it but I do understand why some people won't like it, i.e. 2/3 of your gun power being on the back.  Because of this, German Cruisers with this layout are clumsy if they have to push, but are great when on the defense or kiting.

Roon on the kite with ample room to roam and enough range is an just as annoying to a BB as any Engine Boosting French Cruiser.

She handles similar to other IX Cruisers.  Nothing spectacular, not bad either.

Torpedoes.  She has a good layout with a fair amount of torps per side.  Range is a useful 6km and the launch angles are just fine.

GUNS.  This is where the German 8" guns start getting real good.  Slap on MBM3 and you got a fast firing set of guns.  You still got German Cruiser /4 HE Pen, so you naturally pen 50mm armor.  HE shell damage values are still low.  Fire chance isn't great.  But this is compensated for by fast firing guns and ease of use at range.  The AP is still strong in raw penetration and damage values, but you don't have the USN CA AP Bounce Angles.  Still, you see the opportunity, plant AP for good damage, citadels.  These are strong AP shells.  While HE will probably be what you use most of the time, look for every opportunity to get proper use out of your AP.

AA.  High Tier German Cruisers have very respectable AA.  Not USN good though.

Roon is a pretty well rounded Tier IX Cruiser.  As you can see, she has gunnery to be dangerous even out at range, while having torpedoes that make her deadly in a knife fight.  Even BBs must respect your torpedoes.  The AA is also pretty good, too.  Only thing weird is the gun layout, which makes her better on the defense than doing pushes.

Hope over to this Artillery Chart: https://wowsft.com/arty?lang=en

And compare her AP shells to her Tier IX Cruiser peers.  Very strong AP with only Buffalo having better penetration, yet her shell flight time at range is still competitive, easier than even the French.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
960 posts
15,082 battles

Roon is the best T9 tech tree cruiser, and the only one worth keeping.

[TNG-2]
Members
84 posts
9,448 battles
1 hour ago, Landsraad said:

If I were to pick a bad tier 9 cruiser it would not be Roon, she's one of many that's in the running as a decidedly good ship. You want a bad tier 9 cruiser? One that makes you suffer and work for your tier 10? Play Seattle.

But Seattle is also a great bote, it sets you up well for Wooster and still has great dpm because 155mm IFHE is a meme, would easily take it over Buffalo in terms of enjoyment. It's basically a cleveland with a heal that helps greatly with survivability.

Neptune is the true suffering when you are constantly the best xp pinata capable of being dev struck from any angle while AP only gimmick and floaty shell arcs are highly questionable at high tiers.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles

The only good thing about Seattle is selling the ship off after you get Worcester :Smile_trollface:  The funny, yet sad story with Seattle was I never respected it, and WG went out of their way and nerfed this sorry ship :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[_EASY]
Members
259 posts
10,245 battles

Seattle is so bad I skipped it.  Went straight from the Cleveland to Worcester....

Members
1,563 posts
9,128 battles

Roon is a meh ship.   It does very well when kiting, but the moment you need to be aggressive, only having 1 turret facing forward becomes very awkward.   It doesn't help that you have less torps than you did with the hipper, so you can't yolo rush as effectively.   I guess the one upside is they gave the roon an extra heal, so SI is not as necessary.(sadly you will probably still want the extra DFAA/hydro)

I am not sure what was worse fun factor wise, the roon, seattle, or the old ibuki.   Despite being new at the time, i rather enjoyed the tier 9 balti.   the donskoi is a fantastic cruiser.  easiest tier 9 criuser grind i ever had.  The radar and turret angle buffs helped a lot.  probably the best tier 9 tech tree cruiser.  

[INTEL]
Members
7,209 posts
30,501 battles

I kept Roon long ago when I went thru it and sold St. Louis, Seattle and  Ibuki.

I like Roon. It is very decent just not OP

Members
998 posts
5,461 battles
31 minutes ago, hyuuu said:

But Seattle is also a great bote, it sets you up well for Wooster and still has great dpm because 155mm IFHE is a meme, would easily take it over Buffalo in terms of enjoyment. It's basically a cleveland with a heal that helps greatly with survivability.

Neptune is the true suffering when you are constantly the best xp pinata capable of being dev struck from any angle while AP only gimmick and floaty shell arcs are highly questionable at high tiers.

That was my favorite part about neptune... like pre usn shuffle pepsi... you KNOW they want a piece of that thicc aft... so you use it to your teams advantage by luring ships out of position... works a treat... they want that juicy citadel so bad they will show broadside to the entirety of your team just to lob shells at you.

Plus ive always found neptunes armor to be more favorable than minotaurs.

All that aside roon is a very solid t9 cruiser. Tough as nails compared to other lines and customizable to suit your tastes... pushing with turtleback/acoustics/torps, dfaa for cvs, or rudder modded HE kiter... gudbote.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,319 posts
5,270 battles
32 minutes ago, hyuuu said:

We'll have to agree to disagree there, I hated grinding Seattle and only bought it back for steel during the snowflake event (thank you CV rework for that shipload of credits!). It's an okay ship, just not one that I can really get to work. Plus it sits right between Worcester and Cleveland, two of my favorite ships in the game. The only thing about it that feels comfortable to me is its AA, which pre-rework was downright HILARIOUS to use because #8.6kmrange. I can't speak to Neptune's level of pain, I'm only at Edinburgh, but so far my tier 9 tech tree cruiser rankings would be:

1. Saint-Louis: Speediest tier 9 cruiser with nine 8" flamethrowers at her disposal. The AP's not half bad either. Running and gunning is the name of the game.
  2. Roon: Still a kiting ship, still a good fire-starter, but now you can take it as well as dish it out versus your cruiser peers.
  3. Buffalo: Honestly my main sticking point with her is that she's the only AB-XY ship in the USN CA line after Pensacola, while all the others are AB-Y.
  4. Seattle: Clunky turrets, bad firing angles, short range. If her gunnery was more comfortable she'd be tied with Buffalo.

Members
473 posts
9,757 battles

It can be very effective with a specific kind of play style, if that is your cup of tea then this ship is great.

I personally found it to be very fun, the best of the t9 tech tree ships I’ve played

Members
98 posts
6,733 battles

I had hilarious fun with a secondary build Roon. Wish it was more viable (it has a decent amount of 150mm secondaries).

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
929 posts
7,697 battles

Weak offensive capabilities. Was fun for a while. I freeXP'd half way through because I like to go FORWARD and shoot things.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,994 posts

No matter what the T9 cruiser it is - premium, FXP, or whatever - I always have in the back of my mind that the cruiser isn't a T10.  T9 is that first day Junior who paints "Senior Class of" whatever next year is on his car.  It isn't a lie, just incredibly awkward because the Junior hasn't made that next grade yet to actually be in a graduating class.  He's just announcing that one day he will be.

T9'a are like that mystery sock that's needed to pair with your only clean sock but its on the floor in front of the drier - did it fall out of the drier or not make it into the washing machine?  You need to put it on but you just don't know if its clean but you really have no choice but to wear it.

On a positive note T9's aren't like getting second at the Olympics because you can keep trying to get that first place spot.

[PVE]
Members
9,307 posts
16,524 battles

It's ok but honestly I find it an odd duck and not a good transition from Hipper to Hindenburg. As someone else said it is reminiscent of Konigsberg and Nurnberg with it's turret layout (only 1 front and 2 rear). It also only has 1 torp launcher per side which is a step down from Hipper and Hindenburg. It is pretty tough though when angled properly.

I originally skipped it with FXP but later went back and bought it. It's ok but I seldom think "hey let's go play Roon". 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[5BS]
Members
7,625 posts
3 hours ago, grumpymunky said:

Roon is the best T9 tech tree cruiser, and the only one worth keeping.

Buffalo's better. Once you know how she works Buffalo is borderline better than the DM in the quality vs. quantity divide.

[PVE]
Members
9,307 posts
16,524 battles
26 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Buffalo's better. Once you know how she works Buffalo is borderline better than the DM in the quality vs. quantity divide.

I would take Buffalo over any of the T9 Tech Tree Cruisers.

[HATE]
Members
399 posts
12,012 battles
5 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

imo, it is amazing, in 20 games i went to the hindi. So it is very good. you kinda have to drive backwards alot...lol. but its guns and aa are impressive

[KAPPA]
Members
880 posts
6,043 battles

Interesting how this has partly moved into a sidebar discussion on Seattle.

Personally, I found Roon to be very unremarkable. I play co-op and I play fairly aggressively for the most part and that is not Roon's gig so it's no surprise that I'm not a big fan. I can see where she'd be great in a kiting role, but I have so little chance to kite in that way that Roon was mostly a speedbump on the way to Hindenburg.

Now for this Seattle sidebar. I can kind of see both sides to the argument. When I first got it and it was stock with a partially trained captain, it was pretty lack luster. Once I got my old (as in was at T6 back in the day, same as the ship) Cleveland captain transferred after some training work for my Azur Lane Cleveland captain to get her up to par, Seattle started to shine. She is very much an IFHE required boat, and it also pays to use both AP and HE when the time is right, but she does well in the right hands with at least a 10 point IFHE captain (currently using a 16 pt, though with only 14 pts. used).

Members
64 posts
10,302 battles

I kept the Room and sold off the the other two tier 9 cruisers that I had.

Not a big fan of the Room but seemed the best of my options. 

Strangely enough, I do best in her when someone is trying to chase me down. I strictly shoot AP with her since she seems to rack up more damage that way.

[ANKER]
Members
228 posts
6,219 battles

Roon is best t9 cruiser in my opinion. Can do everything pretty well. Was enjoyable to play unlike many other t9 cruisers.

[PVE]
Members
9,307 posts
16,524 battles
8 minutes ago, Double_Doody said:

I kept the Room and sold off the the other two tier 9 cruisers that I had.

Not a big fan of the Room but seemed the best of my options. 

Strangely enough, I do best in her when someone is trying to chase me down. I strictly shoot AP with her since she seems to rack up more damage that way.

66% of your firepower is at the rear so naturally it is a benefit when being chased.