Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Zao vs Hindy

11 comments in this topic

[DRNX]
Members
390 posts
7,698 battles

With Soviet BB's available up to tier 8 for early access I have plenty of free xp to get either the Hindy or the Zao. Which ship would be better in the current meta? Zao is more of a long range fighter while the Hindy does better in close quarters correct? Please give me your opinions. TIA

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,312 battles

Honestly, I'd wait and see how your luck goes in the boxes before you get FXP happy..if you can win a T7-8 out of the boxes,  great..if not and you plan on doing it, you may wind up short at the end of it all.

• Cool 1

[PWH]
Members
139 posts
5,840 battles

I got a Hindy, though I can't remember the last time I played her. Her turtleback armor works well at close range, but can be cit from more then 15km away by battleship caliber.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

I don't Hindenburg, but Zao is an excellent ship at long range - and a dangerous ship at mid-range. At short range, she doesn't have the RPM to keep up with ships like Des Moines, though she does have access to her torpedoes.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,713 posts
7,704 battles

With the amount of 457mm guns that are coming into the game, I‘d say Zao. Zao‘s survivability relies upon dodging and knowing when to get into stealth. Hindenburg‘s relies on that 30mm section, which is getting more and more devalued.

Members
998 posts
5,461 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

With Soviet BB's available up to tier 8 for early access I have plenty of free xp to get either the Hindy or the Zao. Which ship would be better in the current meta? Zao is more of a long range fighter while the Hindy does better in close quarters correct? Please give me your opinions. TIA

Both are excellent. Hindy if you want to get in there and brawl with 16x suicide torps, turtleback armor, and 12x5.9k ap... can also be kitted out for kiting and dfaa if you give up acoustics...

Zao is the queen of kite... insanely accurate 12 gun HE with high fire chance, 20x 12k shima torps, and stealth of 9.9k or so... can use dfaa swapped for acoustics... just dont brawl with her... 

CV and he slinging meta probably favours zao... but few things are as fun as zerg rushing a yammie in hindy and just. Not. Dying. Fast enough. Only to pull up to his broadside and citadeling the bejeezus out of him or torpbliterating him back to port...

How this translates to ru bbs remains to be seen.

• Cool 1

[TNG-2]
Members
84 posts
9,454 battles

With Soviet battleships coming and the new improved Kreml's 60mm armor section, I think IFHE Hinden might be fun to try out as the only HE cruiser capable of penning it.

Zao actually already struggles to deal HE damage against annoying ships like Stalingrad and it would probably only get worse with the Soviet BBs because of their ridiculously thick deck armor and fast limited DCP to delete any fires you might be able to stack.

Also keep in mind, while Hinden has a very nice set of torps and turtleback armor, you still do not want to be engaging in close range combat most of the time. Battleships will still delete a Hinden trying to get up close. In fact one of your hardest counters is a Republique. Its accurate guns are basically able to consistently delete 10-20k health off a Hinden from medium to close range regardless of how you angle because of its armor structure. You will not be able to reach a BB with those 6km torps in most normal circumstances unless there are only a few ships remaining.

Most of the time, Hinden ends up doing what Zao naturally does well, spamming HE from medium range on BBs and other cruisers, that's just the state of the current high tier meta.

The main benefit Hinden has over Zao is better HE pen and fire rate , while Zao has the benefit of high HE alpha and fire stacking chance.

Edited by hyuuu
More Hinden + Zao comparison

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
833 posts
26,613 battles

Zao is probably the better of the 2 at blue water HE spamming from range (which is only a part of her game, AP broadside ambushes being another). Hindy is extremely versatile with a nice nasty yolo ace up her sleeve if you can time it right.

Members
64 posts
10,302 battles

I own both and enjoy Hindy the most. Zao has better range on her torps then her detection range when built right. So, you can surprise someone trying to occupy an area. Hindy throws out more rounds per minute. 

Neither are brawlers in any shape or form.

I'm keeping them both.....

[DRHS]
[DRHS]
Members
339 posts
14,687 battles

Hindy is tanky, very tanky with the eleite module for it, but big as in 14km det big. Zao pretty stealthy and a good fire starter. Hindy can citadel even BB's up close with her AP. Zao  has 12 km torps. Hindy has a lot of short ranged torps and good secondarys.  Hindy is a brawler Zao is a sneaky bastard. Really depends on your play style.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,515 posts

I find Hindy more versatile and rugged.   I actually run it with the high-tier rudder module, and the combination of agile and armor makes the thing a challenge for reds to get solid hits on.  It's amazing how many players can't get past the "see enemy cruiser, shoot at waterline" mentality and bounce volley after volley off the Hindy's angled bow armor. 

This is not to say that Zao is at all bad or inferior. 

Sign in to follow this