You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

How to Defeat the new RU BBs

35 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
9,585 posts
11,483 battles

After recent speculation among several me Forumers on what weaknesses the RU BBs might have. The thought suddenly occurred to me of exactly how we can defeat the new RU BBs...

Battle of Tsushima ring any bells? Lol I will have my IJN Fleet standing by to send the new RU warships to the bottom... 

All jokes aside the IJN BBs may be one of the best options to use since they can hit hard even from long range, reasonable to good armor and mobility, and secondary guns are not bad either if it comes down to a close quarters fight. And since many of us are not 100% certain how strong or weak the RU BBs are, would not hurt to ease into things. Oh who am I kidding of course one of my early battles will be using a German BB in close quarters brawl lol. 

Some of the French BBs as well as certain RN BBs like Hood I will hold off on using at first until I know exactly how those new RU BBs move and shoot. Since nice Hood has soften armor and is optimal attacking at 11-16km range, but if the RU BBs end up being as deadly as expected at 12km and end up with good mobility they might be able to surprise me. But after I have face RU BBs a few times Hood will be called back into action once I know how to react to maintain engagements on my terms. Which is why I will send in the longest ranged or most heavily armored BBs first to gauge the strengths of the new BBs.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
5,199 battles

Tsushima is fake news, Comrade.

It was a glorious Fatherland Victory! (thus the title of the launch).

Remember ... you can be imprisoned for saying anything negative about Mother Russia now!

[PVE]
Beta Testers
322 posts
4,071 battles

you just need to give the gunners a bottle of vodka

vodka-bottle-anatomy_o_779857.jpg 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,162 posts
11,149 battles

I think it will be akin to defeating Nelsons. 

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,568 posts
5,666 battles
21 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

After recent speculation among several me Forumers on what weaknesses the RU BBs might have. The thought suddenly occurred to me of exactly how we can defeat the new RU BBs...

Battle of Tsushima ring any bells? Lol I will have my IJN Fleet standing by to send the new RU warships to the bottom... 

All jokes aside the IJN BBs may be one of the best options to use since they can hit hard even from long range, reasonable to good armor and mobility, and secondary guns are not bad either if it comes down to a close quarters fight. And since many of us are not 100% certain how strong or weak the RU BBs are, would not hurt to ease into things. Oh who am I kidding of course one of my early battles will be using a German BB in close quarters brawl lol. 

Some of the French BBs as well as certain RN BBs like Hood I will hold off on using at first until I know exactly how those new RU BBs move and shoot. Since nice Hood has soften armor and is optimal attacking at 11-16km range, but if the RU BBs end up being as deadly as expected at 12km and end up with good mobility they might be able to surprise me. But after I have face RU BBs a few times Hood will be called back into action once I know how to react to maintain engagements on my terms. Which is why I will send in the longest ranged or most heavily armored BBs first to gauge the strengths of the new BBs.

Destroyers comrade. Destroyers.

[RKLES]
Members
9,585 posts
11,483 battles
5 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Destroyers comrade. Destroyers.

True, but at least one of the test versions the RU BBs possessed great torpedo protection, like at around 50%. Otherwise I would gladly deploy my Destroyers to have a field day and still might do that as well. But BBs are used often as well, so I will need to make certain I know how to fight against the RU BBs.

CAs I use often too, but I will really need to know more about the RU BBs before facing them in a CA.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,968 posts
4,756 battles
13 minutes ago, General_WTSherman said:

High, large citadels on the RU BBs

That's what I recall.  They usually recommend that the RU BBs engage from mid-range because they're not as adept at brawling as...for example...the Germans, who can resist citadels pretty well.

[WOLFB]
Members
312 posts
6,416 battles

A bow on bow fight with one as far as i can tell seems to be a death sentence to most ships if they don't play it right, considering how thicc their bow armor can be. Their sterns seem to be far weaker though so that could be an option.

They seem to be mostly Immune to HE spam (except on certain parts of their armor of course) so fires will likely be a good way to burn (ironically) through their limited supply of Damage Control Party, same applies to torps, as they seem to have better than average torp protection, so forcing damage controls on flooding may also be effective.

Best way i see of fighting them though is taking advantage of their super sluggish turning to get on to their exposed sides and nail those highly exposed citadels, that is however, if you can even pen the damn thing to begin with, cause jesus christ that side armor is ridiculously THICC.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,635 posts
15,941 battles
2 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

A bow on bow fight with one as far as i can tell seems to be a death sentence to most ships if they don't play it right, considering how thicc their bow armor can be. Their sterns seem to be far weaker though so that could be an option.

They seem to be mostly Immune to HE spam (except on certain parts of their armor of course) so fires will likely be a good way to burn (ironically) through their limited supply of Damage Control Party, same applies to torps, as they seem to have better than average torp protection, so forcing damage controls on flooding may also be effective.

Best way i see of fighting them though is taking advantage of their super sluggish turning to get on to their exposed sides and nail those highly exposed citadels, that is however, if you can even pen the damn thing to begin with, cause jesus christ that side armor is ridiculously THICC.

I believe they changed them to normal dam con.

[WOLFB]
Members
312 posts
6,416 battles
8 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I believe they changed them to normal dam con.

Hmmm, did they??? I didn't quite see anything concerning that in the patch note from what I read, and i also clearly remember Dasha saying in the update review video that they had a special damage control party. I'll just check to make sure then.

Update: Checked the notes again and it seems they still have the limited DCP. This snip is from todays post on the Honor and Glory competition.

Capture.thumb.PNG.04d951034f39e96d96100f1110bb63dd.PNG

Edited by Saidalphon

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
5,199 battles
36 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I think it will be akin to defeating Nelsons. 

Russian BBs have torp protection.

Nelson does not.

This is the problem with introducing fantasy ships to the game alongside historical ships.

They don't suffer from reality.

Everything is 'I want this, make it so'.

There is no response from the shipyard/engineer stating: but the weight issues / structural issues / supply issues / practicality issues mean you can't...

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
9,585 posts
11,483 battles
4 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

Hmmm, did they??? I didn't quite see anything concerning that in the patch note from what I read, and i also clearly remember Dasha saying in the update review video that they had a special damage control party. I'll just check to make sure then.

We can know for sure by tomorrow or the day after tomorrow since somebody should be bound to acquire the new ships by then.

[SALVO]
Members
21,726 posts
22,039 battles
45 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Here's a simple answer from Samwise.

[WOLFB]
Members
312 posts
6,416 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

We can know for sure by tomorrow or the day after tomorrow since somebody should be bound to acquire the new ships by then.

10 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

Update: Checked the notes again and it seems they still have the limited DCP. This snip is from todays post on the Honor and Glory competition.

Let me just quote myself then. :cap_haloween:

Honestly i had also thought they may had changed it but this sneaky sentence from todays post says otherwise i guess.

[SALVO]
Members
21,726 posts
22,039 battles
7 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

Last I heard, the DCPs in Russian BBs was going to like the DCPs on the Tier 5 prem Russian BB Oktober Revolution.

[WOLFB]
Members
312 posts
6,416 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Last I heard, the DCPs in Russian BBs was going to like the DCPs on the Tier 5 prem Russian BB Oktober Revolution.

Assuming they haven't tweaked the parameters at all from what I saw from CCs testing them, they where identical yeah.

[RKLES]
Members
9,585 posts
11,483 battles
6 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

Let me just quote myself then. :cap_haloween:

Honestly i had also thought they may had changed it but this sneaky sentence from todays post says otherwise i guess.

Excellent, a few rounds of “Napalm” spamming ships early on should do the trick then. Man are CVs going to be strong against them as well since I heard the RU BB AA is supposedly not all that good. But then again it could be bait for trap for CVs to fall into and the new BBs to look good with so who know?

Those fire prevention skills are going to be so mandatory on those new BBs, because people will be lighting them on fire from bow to stern to get them to burn though their damage control parties. But timing will be critical since if those damage controls can be used very often for little while they might be able to afford a good charge to wipe out the fire spammers.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[A-D-F]
3,729 posts

Drop bombs and torpedoes on them.  Just like I do everything else.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

Focus fire, surround them, broadside them.  They will be dangerous 1 on 1 and from the front but nothing special at all against multiple ships and I suspect pretty weak against aircraft if the Nikolai and okt rev are any indication. 

Edited by T_O_dubl_D

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,635 posts
15,941 battles
33 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

If they do, it is simple....

Grab the marshmallows and start a campfire. 

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
462 posts
4,912 battles
53 minutes ago, General_WTSherman said:

High, large citadels on the RU BBs

The problem is it has 550mm armor belts and the Kreml can bring all three turrets to bear from an autobounce angle, so that 550 doesn't even need to be used. On top of this is that it has 60mm deck armor, yamato-level torp reduction, a relatively small superstructure, best-in-game AA (edging out even the mino), reduced fire damage (previously 50% but now 75% damage)...

The only thing it doesn't have is radar. 

[RKLES]
Members
9,585 posts
11,483 battles
2 minutes ago, PG908 said:

The problem is it has 550mm armor belts and the Kreml can bring all three turrets to bear from an autobounce angle, so that 550 doesn't even need to be used. On top of this is that it has 60mm deck armor, yamato-level torp reduction, a relatively small superstructure, best-in-game AA (edging out even the mino), reduced fire damage (previously 50% but now 75% damage)...

The only thing it doesn't have is radar. 

Can Roma get though 550mm armor? Heard those have good pen anyway, but I don’t have one.

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
462 posts
4,912 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Can Roma get though 550mm armor? Heard those have good pen anyway, but I don’t have one.

It can pen a perfectly broadside kreml cit at about nine kilometers based on the fitting tool. The yamato can do it at about 15-16 with the same perfect broadside. However, that 550 rapidly increases to much bigger effective armors with any angle. For an axample, if between the plunging angle and ship angle, you get a slight angle of 30 degrees off of being perpendicular, that's now about 640mm of effective armor. Not that any kreml would ever be showing that much broadside, because it can fire all three gun from autobounce angles.

And if you want to kill it in a different ship, you might as well go 3v1 a division of stalingrads.

[-K-]
Privateers, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester
5,861 posts
7,459 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Almost every BB can at close range.  Most tier 10 BB's can pen 500mm of flat armor at around 15-20km.  Smaller guns need to get closer.

To make the point, here's Guilio Cesare's pen chart:

M3ITJFx.png

EDIT:  Also for reference, Izumo after her recent buff has the second highest raw pen in the game at close range, within 10mm of Republique for almost her entire chart.

zxvnfmg.png