You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

Omaha, Konigsburg, or Nicholas.

41 comments in this topic

Members
123 posts
449 battles

I need to get to tier 5 quickly.

For the US DDs and Cruisers, I got to tier 4. But for KM Cruisers, I’m on tier 3. Should I go for the Omaha, Konigsburg, or the Nicholas?

(Like the Charleston and the St. Louis)

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles
1 minute ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

For the US DDs and Cruisers, I got to tier 4. But for KM Cruisers, I’m on tier 3. Should I go for the Omaha, Konigsburg, or the Nicholas?

Why the rush?  Are you late for something?

• Cool 1

Members
2,437 posts
10,179 battles
2 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Whichever tree line you enjoyed most. Do you prefer cruisers or DDs? 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,820 posts
12,557 battles

Konigsburg might be the most friendly for new players I would do that one first. Nicholas is great but you need to be good at knife fighting other DD's. Omaha is solid but really needs take advantage of islands. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,162 posts
11,149 battles
4 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

No, you don't.

Spoiler

But otherwise, Nicholas!

• Cool 1

Members
123 posts
449 battles
5 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Why the rush?  Are you late for something?

The Victory competition is almost here. V to X ships only.

• Cool 2

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles
3 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

The Victory competition is almost here. V to X ships only.

Ahhhh... I see.  Well I must admit that several times a month I wake up in a cold sweat and my wife tells me I was screaming "OMAHA... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" in my sleep, but that's just me.

The other problem is, of course, rushing up to tier V (where the training wheels come completely off the game) is not a really good idea.  You will find Tier V pretty different (and much more frustrating) than what you are used to.

[INTEL]
Members
7,213 posts
30,543 battles

Rushing up the tiers is never a good idea. T5 is fun, if you can deal with T7 often. Not easy to say the least.

Of you choices, if you prefer CLs, I think Königsberg is the better ship.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

Just look beyond the tier 5s at the ships in the high tiers and pick which line you feel will be the one you prefer most then put on your big boy pants and get a box of tissues for your tears and go for it because you are going to die a lot.  You dont have a lot of games and you are rushing really fast.  At tier 5 your are going be fighting tier 7s and T5 cruisers are notoriously fragile.  Good luck and stick with it.  Learn and get better.  

[BOATC]
Members
34 posts
2,616 battles

I find the Konigsberg a very fun ship to play at T5. The Nicholas was a blast as well. I sold my Omaha the second I FXP'd out of it.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
591 posts
16,691 battles
44 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

If you absolutely need one of the ships above, you can buy a Marblehead right now.  It is an Omaha variant, but you need to realize that it doesn't play like either the Charleston, or St. Louis.  Konigsburg would be closer to those two.  But as others have already stated, you shouldn't rush, the event will be running for close to a month.

[SYN]
Members
7,451 posts
12,664 battles

Rushing up the tiers is always a mistake. 

But the Nicholas will be the most forgiving of the three when you find yourself wholly unprepared for t5.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,505 posts
10,580 battles

What is your favourite and most successful one your playing now?

The Nicholas is similar to the Clemson but with better AA and a little longer range on main batteries. Same quad torpedo launchers, two per side. No stealth torping.

Omaha is fun, but unforgiving. More firepower than the Phoenix. Quad torpedo launchers, two per side unless you opt for C hull which is really useless. You sacrifice two rear canons and two torpedo launchers for sling shot AA. It's made of citadels.

Don't have the Konisburg so can't comment. I have a friend that plays mid German cruisers. He likes them a lot.

[AAA]
Members
727 posts
8,832 battles

Any of the above. 

With that said the KM line is the most forgiving line. The CA tank well for cruisers and their guns are great. The CLs were fun. 

The USN cruisers are great but their range limitations make the player use geographic features to max the ship. The DM is a fantastic ship. I ground the line pre split and I hear the Buffalo sucks. 

I wouldn’t grid dds right now. I love dds but the high prevalence of cvs makes you have to sit near aa ships. No scouting on your own

[N-W-T]
Members
1,730 posts
7,029 battles

Rushing to T5 isn't too much a problem because it's not that much a rush in the first place. With premium time especially, you should be able to level a ship in just a few hours. 

If your goal is to have a good ship at T5, I'd recommend the IJN cruisers. The Furutaka has huge guns for T5 and good torps as well. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
10,268 posts
4,370 battles

If you do well with Karlsruhe then you'll like Konigsberg.  It's the same only better.  Thing is, both have an odd arrangement and playstyle that it takes some getting used to.  But if you're at T3 then that's not the choice to quickly advance to T5.

I'd go Omaha.  It's not that different from Phoenix, so not all that much to learn.  I recall that I hated the A hull, but the B hull made a yuuge! difference and I enjoyed my trips to Cleveland, then Dallas.

Nicholas is a good boat and the USN DD line is a good line, but if you just had to mainline DDs you'd know by now.  The gaunt cheeks and eyes, nervous tremor.  Forum rants, paranoia.  It's all clinically described in the literature. 

Omaha.

Edited by iDuckman

[DISST]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,007 posts

Omaha is a great trainer for French cruisers because in many ways they are both large destroyers . Omaha and Pensacola are often held up as the hardest ships to play... if you can make them work for you... you can adjust to pretty much anything 

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,190 posts

The skill jump and MM seeing T7 is often quite the shock to new T5 players. The nick will be more forgiving for you, as you have probably barely learnt the joys of getting instant deleted by higher tier Battleships from half way across the still small maps, which at low/mid tiers will not care about your fragile cruiser's armour. However it does not have the concealability or torpedoes to effectively DD when uptiered and may be used more as a small citadelless cruiser.

The Konigs is especially fragile and has an additional learning curve with its rear turret kiting play.

Omaha, while still fragile, has better gun angles and can fling HE at decent ranges.

Consider not just whats the 'best' T5 for you, but what playstyle you wish to have as you progress normally through the tiers and chose based on that consideration.

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,312 battles

I still have nightmares of Omaha...I think if I ever did start another account I'd FXP it just for the sake of not dropping 10 pts of W/R for it..not that I actually care about W/R..I just hate the Omaha...

I'd go for the Konigsberg if you absolutely need a T5..then again, tbs, like someone else said, going from 3-5 with premium time doesn't take long..you could probably do it tonight if you have a couple equal speed Charlie London flags.

Members
2,437 posts
10,179 battles

Word of advice, I havent looked at the particular objectives yet. But you may need a ship from each ship type and even particular nations to complete the objectives. T5 does not take long to get to at all. But again you may need both that nicholas and a cruiser and a BB at T5.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
13 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Word of advice, I havent looked at the particular objectives yet. But you may need a ship from each ship type and even particular nations to complete the objectives. T5 does not take long to get to at all. But again you may need both that nicholas and a cruiser and a BB at T5.

Good point...and are we sure he wont need something Russian?

Edited by T_O_dubl_D

[O_O]
Members
5,334 posts
12,262 battles
3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Nicholas. The CVs never expect AA Nicholas. :Smile_trollface:

Yes, Nicholas is a darned potent destroyer.  So is Clemson, the arguable king of T4 tech tree ships.  Nicholas is just an upgraded Clemson, with the same torpedo set-up, so once you are good with Clemson you will be ready for Nicholas.  Both are solid, diverse DD's, and therefore, my top recommendation (I still have both in my fleet).

Karlsruhe was hot, steaming garbage when I first attempted to grind though it.  To this day, it is the ONLY ship I used Free XP to finish a painful grind (even though it isn't THAT harsh, only being T4!).  Konigsberg, however, is a fun ship!  She is fragile as heck, but her AP is flat NASTY!  I still have her, as well.

I still have a soft spot for Omaha.  Granted, I played her a long time ago...shortly after Open Beta back in 2015.  I won an Omaha clone, Marblehead, in a forum contest, and sold my Omaha.  I played the living snot out of that Marblehead!  I loved the ship so much I eventually bought the 'best' Omaha...Murmansk.  Players today often bash Omaha as being weak and worthless...but I still disagree.  Omaha is fragile but has great firepower, especially if you keep your nose on target to mitigate your soft-ish armor.  And, Omaha is very similar to Phoenix in play style, so there won't be much of a learning curve in progression.

So, there is my opinion.  Clemson -> Nicholas earns top honors.  Omaha pulls 2nd place, partially because she is so similar to Phoenix, which is also very good for her tier.  Konigsberg is a solid tier 5, but requires laboring through Karlsruhe...a ship I just couldn't get to do anything.

[WOLFG]
Members
6,005 posts
3,866 battles

Omaha - fast and fast firing.  Great for killing DDs  15.5k range.

Konigsberg - not as fast firing.  AP does really bad things to cruisers.  Two turrets to rear makes it easier to kite fat boats (worse for going forward).  HE pen is better (also good for fat boats).  Slightly less likely to self citadel.

Both are good for catching DDs outside of DDs gun range.

[DBM]
Members
442 posts
6,134 battles
3 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I understand you desire to participate in the Victory Competition.  I would urge you NOT to rush.  WOWs has these events multiple times a year.  The leap from T4 to T5 is much bigger than you've experienced before.

2 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

What is your favorite and most successful one your playing now?

The Nicholas is similar to the Clemson

Not even close.  The Clemson at her tier with a captain at 15+ and maxed out on all her upgrades can dominate T4 battles.  Ask all of us T10 dd mains what we use to go seal clubbing when we feel the need.  The Nick has a VERY different feel to her.  She cannot dominate other T5 dds like the Clemson can at T4 and she's often in over her head with T6 and 7 dds.  In the Nick, you stop playing the USN dd line as a first-person-shooter and you have to start playing more strategically.  I freely admit that I did not like her as I went up the dd line and I got out of her as soon as I could.  That decision cost me a lot of losses in T6 and 7 USN dds because I didn't learn the lessons that I was supposed to learn in her.  I bought her back, learned what I was supposed to and things got better for my other USN dd ships.

1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

If your goal is to have a good ship at T5, I'd recommend the IJN cruisers. The Furutaka has huge guns for T5 and good torps as well. 

The "Furry" really is a good T5 cruiser.  Great guns...just be aware that she does NOT have great armor.  I still have her in my port and take her out every one in a awhile.

Jeff,  you're at the stage of the game where you should have a decent idea of what ship type you like to play the most.  Ignore what the most recent event is coming up.  Focus on the ship type that you enjoy playing the most and start grinding that type with multiple nations.  The game will be much more enjoyable in this young stage in your WOWs experience.  As you get more battles under your belts, then explore the other ship types.

As you start to get into T5 and above, you start to realize that in order to play well, you have to think of this as more like a game of Chess.  It's not about how many hits you make, it's about situational awareness, effective application of firepower, and working to support your team, even at the expense of your own glory.

Good luck.