Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Commandant_Cousteau

Drawing distance

8 comments in this topic

Members
33 posts
2,584 battles

I would to increase the rendering distance of the smokestacks. I find it's not visible from far enough, so I can't see how a ship is moving. Is there any option (in game or in the preferences.xml file) I can change to achieve that result?

Edited by Commandant_Cousteau

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

I dont know about draw distance add ons but the simplest thing is if you are driving ships with torpedoes you can switch to your torps and target the ship you're wondering about to get a good idea about heading and speed.  

There are some pretty good mod packs - modstation, aslains, that have some different compasses and indicators that give some indicators about heading of targeted ships.  I dont have any personal experience with them but apparently the arent considered cheats and a lot of people use them for some improvements to the look and feel of the game.

Edited by T_O_dubl_D

[WOLF9]
Members
10,232 posts
4,366 battles

IIRC, there is a Drawing Distance in Settings.Graphics, but I don't know if it does what you want.   If someone could explain it, I'd appreciate it.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
971 posts
6,664 battles
17 minutes ago, Commandant_Cousteau said:

I would to increase the rendering distance of the smokestacks. I find it's not visible from far enough, so I can't see how a ship is moving. Is there any option (in game or in the preferences.xml file) I can change to achieve that result?

there is a mod that signals for enemy ships you have targeted, green for forward, red for stop and yellow for backwards.

Members
33 posts
2,584 battles
9 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

I dont know about draw distance add ons but the simplest thing is if you are driving ships with torpedoes you can switch to your torps and target the ship you're wondering about to get a good idea about heading and speed.  

There are some pretty good mod packs - modstation, aslains, that have some different compasses and indicators that give some indicators about heading of targeted ships.  I dont have any personal experience with them but apparently the arent considered cheats and a lot of people use them for some improvements to the look and feel of the game.

I'm currently using a mod from the modstation modpack. I find it a little cheesy and I would have liked to use the smokestacks in the same way. Plus the smokestacks tell you how fast the ship is going.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

Seems wild that the draw distance setting would alter the actual  ships.  I am not at my computer now and cant check but that should just be environmental/scenery draw distance.  It would be quite a hindrance to performance of people with less powerful computers if ships didnt fully "draw" in equally for all players.

Members
33 posts
2,584 battles
3 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

Seems wild that the draw distance setting would alter the actual  ships.  I am not at my computer now and cant check but that should just be environmental/scenery draw distance.  It would be quite a hindrance to performance of people with less powerful computers if ships didnt fully "draw" in equally for all players.

I don't know. There are times when I can see a ship but the smoke isn't rendered.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
1 minute ago, Commandant_Cousteau said:

I don't know. There are times when I can see a ship but the smoke isn't rendered.

That might be the "animate small objects" or some other setting.  I'll dig around and see what I can find.

Sign in to follow this