You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

Does AA gun Mod really needed in this meta?

18 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
Members
1,466 posts
3,435 battles

For USN cruisers, I'm on the Helena right now and at stock flak bursts are 3 for long range. Equipping the AA mod increases it to 5. Is that really necessary? I hear good CV players can just dodge flak clouds. So I'm wondering if its a useless mod to mount. 

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
1,758 posts
18,953 battles

You can never dodge all of them. The flak pattern is pretty simple to figure out but when ships are sort of staggered it can make it impossible to not take some flak. That's not to say the majority isnt easy to avoid. You also have to accept taking some trying to get this best angle of attack sometimes and when you're flying away or turning there always seems to be one that will hit.

All that being said, you can live with or without. It really just depends if there is something better or not. It cant hurt unless you're passing up a better module.

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,882 posts
5,497 battles

Stock flak bursts are manageable, the increased flak bursts can sometimes catch you off guard, add in another ship or DFAA running and it becomes one of those Japanese Bullet shooter mini-games in certain circumstances.  But let me offer the question another way.  Looking at all the upgrades in that slot, and, with your playstyle in the Helena, would the extra AA bursts be worth it with the way you play?

That's the way I've been building all my ships as of late.  Aiming system mod is a nice thing to have on a cruiser especially if spamming long ranges, but if you've got a fast firing ship with good fire chances and a large number of shells to help with RNG, it might be worth skipping for something else.  Conversely Helena reload is a bit on the longer side, so I'd like as many shells as possible to hit my target in each salvo so the extra accuracy it gives might be beneficial to some players more than others. 

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

I almost always get ASM1 over AAM1, mainly because I either play ships with really slow reloads and few guns (Furutaka, Exeter) or ships that already have plenty of flak bursts (Minotaur).

Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts
1 hour ago, Legio_X_ said:

For USN cruisers, I'm on the Helena right now and at stock flak bursts are 3 for long range. Equipping the AA mod increases it to 5. Is that really necessary? I hear good CV players can just dodge flak clouds. So I'm wondering if its a useless mod to mount. 

For a small number of flak bursts it is probably not worth it, but some people do downplay the effect of flak. For example, the Kidd tends to sit in first or second place on plane kills at T8, but most of its AA power is in flak. Under the right circumstances, it can be powerful.

Also, what are the mid range flak bursts for Helena? If that's higher, then the module might be more helpful.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts
1 hour ago, Legio_X_ said:

Actually we don't dodge them (I'm not among the good ones) we simply ignore them. The US and IJN CV's have more problems with AA(A) of all kinds than the RN CV's. I took out a Helena last night with my RN CV. It's relatively easy as long as you come prepared. I'd say keep moving, don't hug islands and stick with at least two other ships. 

[-WTP-]
Members
1,466 posts
3,435 battles
5 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Actually we don't dodge them (I'm not among the good ones) we simply ignore them. The US and IJN CV's have more problems with AA(A) of all kinds than the RN CV's. I took out a Helena last night with my RN CV. It's relatively easy as long as you come prepared. I'd say keep moving, don't hug islands and stick with at least two other ships. 

Well i play it hugging islands, but i move around alot. I think im just gonna keep it the way it is. No point getting decrease despersion since your firing 15 guns. I will just spec into AFT and manual to boost it more. Thanks 

[RKLES]
Members
9,561 posts
11,477 battles
1 hour ago, Skuggsja said:

You can never dodge all of them. The flak pattern is pretty simple to figure out but when ships are sort of staggered it can make it impossible to not take some flak. That's not to say the majority isnt easy to avoid. You also have to accept taking some trying to get this best angle of attack sometimes and when you're flying away or turning there always seems to be one that will hit.

All that being said, you can live with or without. It really just depends if there is something better or not. It cant hurt unless you're passing up a better module.

Not to mention if the ships have equipped everything AA they can, so that those Flak bursts are fired at increased rate and density. Which a lot of players are likely doing for various reasons in the current meta.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles

You have Cruiser Accuracy.  ASM1 isn't needed.

ASM1 plays a bigger role for larger guns such as 283mm (Scharnhorst) and larger where the dispersion value is big and gets the user a better return.  But normal Cruiser guns IMO don't need it.  Their dispersion is already great.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
929 posts
7,697 battles

Take flak accuracy into account, it's actually quite helpful on DDs. Cruisers, meh, if they have a high rate of fire I'll take it, but on cruisers with a lower rate of fire or barrels I prefer main battery accuracy for obvious reasons. With manual AA, fighters, and defensive fire losing a few flak bursts isn't so bad.

[SYN]
Members
15,354 posts
12,506 battles

the magic number is between 6 and 11

less than 6 is, for all intents and purposes useless

more than 11 is also pretty pointless

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
On 4/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

I'd say keep moving, don't hug islands and stick with at least two other ships. 

Really difficult when you play Radar Minotaur as any BB so much as mean mugging you means you take stupid amounts of citadel damage, though.

• Funny 1

Members
121 posts
7,502 battles
21 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

the magic number is between 6 and 11

less than 6 is, for all intents and purposes useless

more than 11 is also pretty pointless

Could you please suggest some reading that explains how to find these AA numbers for a specific ship, or how they are derived? Thank you

Members
121 posts
7,502 battles
On 4/26/2019 at 9:59 AM, USSCurtis said:

Could you please suggest some reading that explains how to find these AA numbers for a specific ship, or how they are derived? Thank you

From Sub_Octavian dev blog: Actual average number of flak bursts is: base flak bursts parameter, multiplied by Hit chance.

Got it. Thank you for your patience.

Edited by USSCurtis

Members
1,959 posts
10,402 battles

Hey

You also have the fact that Wargaming NERF'd the AFT skill for the 20% AA Range buff too, meaning the aircraft get shot at with 20% less range than before which is more time inside your AA bubble, assuming you had AFT.  A NERF nobody seems to care about much.

Pete

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

For most of my cruisers, I don't think there is anything BETTER, so I just take the flak buff.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,119 posts
11,124 battles
On 4/30/2019 at 11:03 AM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

You also have the fact that Wargaming NERF'd the AFT skill for the 20% AA Range buff too, meaning the aircraft get shot at with 20% less range than before which is more time inside your AA bubble, assuming you had AFT.  A NERF nobody seems to care about much.

Pete

The entire AA/aircraft damage mechanic changed, aircraft speeds changed, not as much a nerf as a completely different system.

Members
1,959 posts
10,402 battles
21 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

The entire AA/aircraft damage mechanic changed, aircraft speeds changed, not as much a nerf as a completely different system.

Hey

It may have been a change to the entire system but when you lost AFT's 20% range buff; that is a NERF, any way you want to call it.  Much can be said for the DFAA consumable too.

Pete