Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

CV Fighters for Non-CV Players

6 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,896 posts
15,574 battles

I've seen several posts about large number of aircraft kills and tracing this to the unlimited aircraft on CVs.  There is some confusion about where these kills can come from.  There are three player controlled squadron types.  Rocket Fighters.  Bombers.  Torpedo.  Then there are fighters...the real  fighters...the one's that shoot down other planes.  These are CONSUMABLES!  They don't do damage to ships.  They fly around and kill other planes.  And they are very easy to shoot down.

Now for the quiz.  How many fighters...Real Fighters (i.e., the consumable kind) can the Enterprise put up in one game?  Let's assume the CV captain is running DCFF and SI,  just for grins.

Hold on to your seat.  One Hundred and Twenty Nine!  Let me say that again....129 fighters.  Those are fighters that fly around shooting down other planes.  And they themselves can also be shot down.  In an E vs E game, it is theoretically possible for the surface combatants to shoot down 258 planes while not touching ANY of the CV attack squadrons.

The Lex and Shok  CVs can put up 84.  So take a game with Two Es and two Lex/Sho.  The combined fighters available as CONSUMABLES of these four CVs is 426.  Two CV per side match?  It is theoretically possible to shoot down 426 planes and not touch a single of the strike aircraft.

These situations are very unlikely, as they require all the kills to be ship AA kills on the fighters.  Not going to happen.  Most fighters time out, resulting in zero kills recorded.  Those that don't time out will kill something (and automatically time out on a kill).  The kill will count, but the timeout thereafter will not.  So the majority of fighters are probably NOT counted in the kill total.  But under certain circumstances...they could count for a good chunk.  For example, if I pop an E fighter next to any Red AA bubble, the Reds are going to get a pretty quick 11 kills.  

So it's often a good idea to examine not just number of kills, but also type of kills when looking at total A/C kills.

• Cool 4

[WOLF8]
Members
5,137 posts
4,927 battles
39 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

So it's often a good idea to examine not just number of kills, but also type of kills when looking at total A/C kills.

Well said. :Smile_great:

Unfortunately, we all know what some people are still going to say, lol. :Smile_smile:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

I read somewhere and propose it could be true... if you send a flight of planes into a fighter group, wait for them to shoot your planes then hit the F key, those fighters are removed from the combat area. 

Surface ships of course can't do that but let me say most surface ships have fighters that can really chew up my planes. I'd rank ship fighters as a much bigger threat than AA(A). 

You can also repeatedly launch one flight of each type, drop fighters, return to ship and launch the next flight type, until you have fighters around your ship from each of the three aircraft types. I reckon you'd do this IF you were being swarmed by two carriers on your carrier. 

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles

But... but.... UNLIMITED PLANES!!! :Smile-angry:

Seriously, though, this should be pinned to the top of the home page. Unfortunately, I'm out of +1s.  :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Nevermore135

[UEFN]
Members
970 posts
17,538 battles

in the real world, you'd be lucky to shoot down 12 planes per game with fighters from CV.  and in the real world your fighter planes would shoot down ZERO planes against an experience CV players who would avoid all of your fighter planes drops.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,896 posts
15,574 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I read somewhere and propose it could be true... if you send a flight of planes into a fighter group, wait for them to shoot your planes then hit the F key, those fighters are removed from the combat area. 

Surface ships of course can't do that but let me say most surface ships have fighters that can really chew up my planes. I'd rank ship fighters as a much bigger threat than AA(A). 

You can also repeatedly launch one flight of each type, drop fighters, return to ship and launch the next flight type, until you have fighters around your ship from each of the three aircraft types. I reckon you'd do this IF you were being swarmed by two carriers on your carrier. 

Once a fighter shoots down a plane, it returns to base.  

Play CVs and discover just how quickly a fighter can shoot down player controlled squadrons.  Once a fighter locks on...you're toast.  And toast very quickly.

Keep in mind there are some deeper strategies with some fighter drops.  Big E drops 10.  A red dropping five, even if they dominate the ten, will only shoot down five...leaving five big E fighters on patrol.  Think about this for a minute.  The reds just whacked five of my fighters....I destroyed zero of his....five in the red win column...none in my win column......but who's controlling the air!?

As for repeatedly dropping  fighters, keep in mind squadrons (and CVs) have limited consumables.  These are LIMITED RESOURCE.  THEY ARE NOT INFINITE!!!!!  This is another deeper strategy.  If a CV runs out of fighter consumables, it's left with only its AA suite...or fighter drops from squadrons...but those run out too.  It's possible, late game, for a CV to only be left with its on-board AA.

Sign in to follow this