You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JdeMolay

So can someone explain to me

14 comments in this topic

[KSE]
Beta Testers
392 posts
13,415 battles

In this new meta ( I am trying to be nice) explain the rational for only having a 60 sec duration on catapult fighters now. Even on lines that were in the past strong AA ships, and even with premium consumable purchased,  still 60 secs.... which any cv can wait out.

[H_]
Members
2,419 posts

I asked this question this morning as well.  My Mogami (and, the rest of my IJN cruisers I think) had 6 minutes of fighters before 8.0..........  Now, 60 seconds and that, is unacceptable....  Stacking the deck???  Or, just greed compelling this meta mess??? 

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles

To be fair, catapult fighters operate completely differently under the new system than RTS. They now essentially trade planes with the attacking squadron, where as before they scattered a drop (similar to the old mechanics of DFAA) and dealt a small amount of DPS. Not only is the consumable a strong deterrent for an attacking CV, it also is very effective in combination with decent AA at wiping out an attacking squadron.

The new shorter time might also be related to part of the reason why all planes no longer spot torps. Prior to the rework, many ships, especially BBs (which, granted already had a shorter fighter uptime than cruisers), used the consumable as a "poor man's hydro'"to alert them to not only torps but also ships behind islands (similar to the spotter plane) while also providing AA defense. The changes to the fighter consumable further separates its utility from that of the spotter plane. 

Edited by Nevermore135
typo

[KSE]
Beta Testers
392 posts
13,415 battles
10 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I asked this question this morning as well.  My Mogami (and, the rest of my IJN cruisers I think) had 6 minutes of fighters before 8.0..........  Now, 60 seconds and that, is unacceptable....  Stacking the deck???  Or, just greed compelling this meta mess??? 

I am trying to not come off as negative, but I really dont understand that massive a nerf to Catapult fighters.

[H_]
Members
2,419 posts
2 minutes ago, JdeMolay said:

I am trying to not come off as negative, but I really dont understand that massive a nerf to Catapult fighters.

Me either !!!  But, in reality, they nerf'd them to give Carriers more opportunity for damage.......a reward if you like....  Remember, this is a premium sales event.....

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles

What I'd really like to see is fighters be more aggressive. If you're in the circle at any time, the fighters chase you. Not, "well, they're 5km away, and it's almost quitting time, just let those bombers go".

[TSFR]
Members
20 posts
7,045 battles

How about giving us back the number of fighters we had pre-rework.  My Yamato went from 6 down to 2.  W... T... F... ?  Its the one i noticed the most, but im sure other ships lost number of consumable fighters also.

[DRACS]
Members
4,734 posts

As mentioned above, consumable fighters, both catapult and CV, kill planes on a one for one basis. It's not the consumable of old where the fighters would just stay there and always be effective. It's used when you can see a carrier strike coming and want to make that CV player pay the price for wanting to attack you. You don't just pop them ahead of time and wait to see a CV squad will attack you eventually. If you're doing that, regardless of their duration, you're doing it wrong.

[ICOP]
Members
1,072 posts
3,985 battles

Akin to CV's the fighter consumable for ships should not have a fixed amount available but infinite, where the upgrade one reduces the recycle time.

[PHASE]
Members
4,709 posts
16,143 battles

you see what happened was... we will take the fighters from 6 minutes to 1 minute and increase the amount of cv's. it's all the algorithms. Don't question it, embrace it.....

See the source image

• Funny 1

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,882 posts
5,497 battles

IIRC the original nerf was due to the spotting complaints.  This is back before the re-work happened where running into a Carrier was much more rare.  BB's with a launched plane had torpedo spotting and, ships with aircraft could see past islands at further distances (This is before airplane spotting distance got nerfed as well)  than most other nations running hydroacoustic search.  It also lasted for quite awhile which made it arguably better then hydro, all be it with a built in blind spot until it circled around the ship again. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,736 posts
15,454 battles

A 6-minute uptime is like giving every cruiser and battleship in the game a permanent 4 plane cost for getting near it (in addition to shipboard AA). That would be pretty silly. Making it a consumable you have to at least pay attention to push is a little better. In the end, though, the 60 second uptime actually makes the CV more likely to leave you alone entirely, because chances are there's somebody else whose plane is on cooldown.

Edited by Edgecase

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,190 posts

why do some DDs have a 30 second smoke, that anyone can easily wait out...

[CVA16]
Members
3,648 posts
11,939 battles

Just wondering, how fast do the fighters take effect? If you have to wait until the CV planes are definitely inbound to you, do they have time to launch attacks before the CV planes get to you? Do the only effectively attack the second wave? I have launched them without much effect. I might have the timing off.