You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
senseNOTmade

Is Montana OP?

10 comments in this topic

[MIA-P]
Members
684 posts
6,753 battles

I've played the game enough that I know how deceiving stats can be. So far, I've played 36 battles in the Montana, which is well within the range where a couple lucky matches; a few good teams, can shift mediocre stats to excellent ones. Strictly speaking, one should be very careful trusting stats until at least a few hundred matches in especially when, as in the case of the Montana, the average server stats are decidedly middle-ish.

But leaving that disclaimer aside, I can't get over how powerful this ship feels in-game. I have repeatedly made big, big mistakes: overextending in open water when fighting HE spamming cruisers, showing broadside to enemy BBs, and getting into point blank torping range with DDs. And in every single case, this ship has taken far, far more punishment than I would reasonably expect, and lived to tell the tale. HE shatters on this ship. BBs struggle to dent its massive health pool. DDs literally run out of torpedoes trying to sink you. It feels like people are aware of this too, as enemies often seem reluctant to shoot at you. Give them even the slightest excuse- like requiring a bit of turret traverse as you flank around the cap, and people will suddenly forget to focus fire you even when you're the closest ship.

Not even the poor concealment feels like much of an issue as that tankiness allows you to push through unfavorable engagements (unlike the republique, which desperately clings to its mediocre concealment to escape HE spammers).

The firepower is also fantastic, as might be expected. One of the interesting things about playing tier X BBs is that people do pay a lot of attention to you, and will generally choose to show their broadsides to you last. I found this to be a real problem with the republique, because despite the fantastic reload her 8 barrels struggle to consistently devastate those small openings. The montana, boasting what feels like the perfect balance between accuracy, traverse and reload a 12 gun BB can hope for, does not suffer from the same problem. So despite me having a somewhat lower average damage in the Montana, her damage is far more concentrated and therefore influential on the outcome of the game than the slow attrition you get out of the Republique. Even the shell speed feels much better compared to early USN BBs.

If this ship can be said to have a downside, it's the poor rudder shift. That said, I don't think it's as bad as some of the other tier X BBs, and the legendary mod pretty much fixes that as well.

Bottom line: The Montana feels like the perfect blend of all-round BB power package to me, and I am shocked that the server stats aren't higher. I am interested in hearing others' experiences with this ship, and if anyone thinks another tier X BB can compete in the current meta. I'm relatively inexperienced in this, having only played the Republique, Montana, Musashi and GK.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,688 posts
3,560 battles
13 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

The Montana feels like the perfect blend of all-round BB power package to me

Couldn't say it better myself. Great all round ship, and its no surprise she is such a popular take for CB. I even would be prepared to argue that she is more tankier than a Kurfurst, especially when Monty has its legendary mod on. Kurfurst has weaker guns and absorbs blows like there is no tomorrow. Montana can get off an equal broadside but at further range and is very fire resistant. Add in the better maneuverability and better firing angles and such, its a no brainier imo.

However thats not to say that it is the only choice in the current meta at all. 

• Close brawl? Kurfurst takes the cake.
  • Pub match clubbing? Bourgogne has that great potential.
  • 460mm is a class of its own. Yamato is such a fun ship.
  • Conq with the UU is a big battlecruiser. Great fires and maneuverability.
  • Repub is a great hybrid brawler. Get on the flank and wreck the weak reds that happen to flank as well.

In a CB, Ill take a Monty every time, (with Yamato as a close second especially if heavy cruiser bow in is the meta), but it is not overpowered or the only choice for everything BB

Edited by _1204_

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,156 posts
11,145 battles

She's aiight :Smile_honoring:

[KSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
176 posts
6,073 battles

Montana is the jack of all trades BB, she's got weak points and she doesn't do some things as well as other BBs, but she's certainly the most forgiving of them all.  Probably the best line to go down for those new to BB play.

[187]
Members
1,609 posts
8,848 battles

SShhhhhh keep the secret....it is why you will see so many in clan battles...she's a brawler.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,630 posts
On 4/24/2019 at 1:59 PM, senseNOTmade said:

I've played the game enough that I know how deceiving stats can be. So far, I've played 36 battles in the Montana, which is well within the range where a couple lucky matches; a few good teams, can shift mediocre stats to excellent ones. Strictly speaking, one should be very careful trusting stats until at least a few hundred matches in especially when, as in the case of the Montana, the average server stats are decidedly middle-ish.

But leaving that disclaimer aside, I can't get over how powerful this ship feels in-game. I have repeatedly made big, big mistakes: overextending in open water when fighting HE spamming cruisers, showing broadside to enemy BBs, and getting into point blank torping range with DDs. And in every single case, this ship has taken far, far more punishment than I would reasonably expect, and lived to tell the tale. HE shatters on this ship. BBs struggle to dent its massive health pool. DDs literally run out of torpedoes trying to sink you. It feels like people are aware of this too, as enemies often seem reluctant to shoot at you. Give them even the slightest excuse- like requiring a bit of turret traverse as you flank around the cap, and people will suddenly forget to focus fire you even when you're the closest ship.

Not even the poor concealment feels like much of an issue as that tankiness allows you to push through unfavorable engagements (unlike the republique, which desperately clings to its mediocre concealment to escape HE spammers).

The firepower is also fantastic, as might be expected. One of the interesting things about playing tier X BBs is that people do pay a lot of attention to you, and will generally choose to show their broadsides to you last. I found this to be a real problem with the republique, because despite the fantastic reload her 8 barrels struggle to consistently devastate those small openings. The montana, boasting what feels like the perfect balance between accuracy, traverse and reload a 12 gun BB can hope for, does not suffer from the same problem. So despite me having a somewhat lower average damage in the Montana, her damage is far more concentrated and therefore influential on the outcome of the game than the slow attrition you get out of the Republique. Even the shell speed feels much better compared to early USN BBs.

If this ship can be said to have a downside, it's the poor rudder shift. That said, I don't think it's as bad as some of the other tier X BBs, and the legendary mod pretty much fixes that as well.

Bottom line: The Montana feels like the perfect blend of all-round BB power package to me, and I am shocked that the server stats aren't higher. I am interested in hearing others' experiences with this ship, and if anyone thinks another tier X BB can compete in the current meta. I'm relatively inexperienced in this, having only played the Republique, Montana, Musashi and GK.

If they'd built it, she would have been the ultimate achievement in battleship design.  So naturally in-game she feels pretty good.

They ought to un-gimp her secondary range and damage and throw some radar on her though,

[KRAB]
Members
840 posts
7,295 battles

The Montana is the single best ship at damaging anything full broadside or with under 30mm plating with its unique combination of 12 13.5k shells every 30 seconds (base) and the dispersion reduction module which makes it devastatingly accurate. The 38mm plating makes it much more resistant to CA/CL HE and gives it staying power. 

The only real weakness it has is against bow-on Yamatos or a GK inside of secondary range. It is a great pubstomper, although I think it is suboptimal for many CB compositions simply because you might want to abuse a specific strength of one of the other ships. 

[WOSV]
Members
584 posts
3,037 battles

Ever Nuke a Yammy for 70k in one salvo before with Monty?

Oh my God it's a life changing experience.

[BANG_]
Members
10 posts
2,378 battles

One of my clan mates and I were div'd up last night, he took his Monty and I brought the Wooster to the fight. I was battling a Moskva and Des Moines. I didn't see Repub sneaking around the island to take me down. My teammate had my back and unloaded those 12 guns on that Monty as soon as she showed her broadside and made that Repub regret coming after me.  I had already sunk the Des Moines and the Moskva was running to duck behind an island. My IFHE  152's and those Monty guns made short work of her lmbo. 

Edited by joshuarewerts