Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ALROCHA

Attacker Planes multi-role

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
667 posts
2,455 battles

So, one of the complaints of the community is that the re-work removed the CV vs CV feature, I as a CV main of old and new can also see that because CVs have too much AA and any attack on them is just a waste, before the rework we could deplane and bait DFAA to make deadly strikes, where right now the only way to damage one would be USN Midway Tiny Tims and RN perfect carpet bombs, while for deplaning the enemy you need to count on your teammates' AA and your ambushes with fighter planes (such as deploying them behind a mountain to hide them from the enemy...yes, this is a thing).

So, here is a suggestion to fix at least one of the CV vs CV problems.

A new consumable for your attacker planes, "Engage Air to Air Combat", where the attacker drops all the payload and proceeds to hunt down the enemy plane on a bigger area, prioritizing:

• Fighters engaging your squad (If the enemy pops their fighter consumable while yours is chasing the enemy, it'll target the fighters instead).
    • Enemy bombers
      • Enemy fighters
        • Enemy Scouts
          • If no enemy present, return to the CV

This way we can add to the AA defense of our teammate's, increasing our support to repel air attacks while at the same time, easily deplaning the enemy CV since an attack squad has more planes than the usual consumable fighters so it'll usually mean a total wipe.

This consumable would:

• Lock into your attackers that will make a climb for 3 seconds after dropping the payload and proceed to engage an enemy, if no enemy present at the end of the climb, return to the CV and re-enable the option to launch another squad.
    • If the attackers lock onto an enemy, the player will be locked for the whole duration of the engagement until the target or your attackers get removed from play.
  • When activated, the attackers will climb towards higher altitude but will receive 300% more damage from AA during the 3 seconds climb, after that they'll be unable to spot ships but will also be invulnerable to AA and able to spot enemy planes within their action range.
    • The increase in damage received is to kill any possibility of exploiting this consumable to return the planes to the CV faster since returning them normally would take 4 seconds.
  • When locked on an enemy, engages at full boost speed + 10% for the whole duration of the chase.
  • The enemy will only receive a warning that he's being chased by attackers at the detection range detailed in the consumable.
  • The attackers WILL BE DETECTED and receive AA damage at 50% effectiveness if they're detected by ship's radar until it reaches the target, when reaching the target they'll be treated as "not detected by radar".
  • The attackers that aren't detected by radar will only become detected and receive 300% AA damage when reaching the detection range detailed in the consumable to their target.
    • It's this way so that if a player fears that he's being targetted but doesn't know yet, he can fly closer to friendly ships, if the attackers appear they'll take a lot of damage and will be disposed of quickly but at the same time there is no way to know unless a radar ship detects it first.

The data of the consumable will vary for nation to nation but with those as base:

Charges: 3 (increased with commander skill)

• Charges here are limited in order to not have matches where one CV can do nothing because the other is spamming this consumable without risking much.

Cooldown: No cooldown

Payload drop time: 2 seconds.

Action range: 8km

Detection range for the enemy: 3km

Attack range: 0.500m (or the usual fighter attack range).

Damage: 1 for 1

Each nation will then receive the following changes with their attacker consumable:

USN: Charges changed to 4. (Featuring USN air supremacy over the course of the war).

IJN: Damage changed to 2 planes per attacker. (Featuring IJN deadly fighters before USN took over the air).

RN: Payload drop time changed to 0 second. (Featuring...pilots readiness? Sorry, I don't have an explanation here).

German: Action range increased to 12km. Detection range for the enemy decreased to 1.5km. (Featuring...engines? And ambushes from high altitude)

-----------------

This suggestion would bring one more variable to AA defense on the table, another role for attacker planes, one of the weakest attack types of every nation, while at the same time providing somewhat like the return of the CV to CV combat of the pre-rework, just to a lesser degree.

Do you think this suggestion would help out with the current situation with CVs? If this was implemented, would you remove "Reworked CV lacks CV-to-CV engagements" from the arguments against CVs? Do you think it would actually help the game?

[RNJR]
Members
282 posts
4,786 battles

I just wish airplanes had machine guns to shoot at passing enemy planes. Especially the attackers with rockets should alternately have machine guns. Instead of picking on DDs with rockets why not send attack planes to harrass enemy passing squadrons?  

Converse - bombers usually had a rear facing gunner so it would be dangerous to chase a bomber squadron for long.

Beta Testers
667 posts
2,455 battles
6 minutes ago, Swift_Scythe said:

I just wish airplanes had machine guns to shoot at passing enemy planes. Especially the attackers with rockets should alternately have machine guns. Instead of picking on DDs with rockets why not send attack planes to harrass enemy passing squadrons?  

Converse - bombers usually had a rear facing gunner so it would be dangerous to chase a bomber squadron for long.

The first thing would make players just "stroll" around the map searching for planes, much like pre-rework.

While the second is the reason why the attackers would get "extra AA damage" even though they're going faster without the payload, I just didn't want to add another feature such as "tail gunners", even though those were up on the pre-rework.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

I definitely think you are on to something with fighters.  IRL the fighter cap was THE line of defense against attacking planes.  Without the fighter cap, ships were basically defenseless.  As you mentioned most of the big wins the US forces had were after air superiority had been achieved and they had virtually clear skies. Ship based AA had a very small number of the air kills in WW2.  Most went to fighters covering the fleet from above that were killing attack planes. 

This is one of the many ways where WG has really messed things up with the rework.  

I like your idea overall, my only real concern would be that you limited it to only 3 charges.  Seems very low considering that a flight can make 3 attacks per run and if the CV chooses they could make 10-15 runs on a ship in a game.  So out of 30+ attack runs you would only give me 3 chances to use my fighter?  MOAR PLEASE!

Beta Testers
667 posts
2,455 battles
9 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

I definitely think you are on to something with fighters.  IRL the fighter cap was THE line of defense against attacking planes.  Without the fighter cap, ships were basically defenseless.  As you mentioned most of the big wins the US forces had were after air superiority had been achieved and they had virtually clear skies. Ship based AA had a very small number of the air kills in WW2.  Most went to fighters covering the fleet from above that were killing attack planes. 

This is one of the many ways where WG has really messed things up with the rework.  

I like your idea overall, my only real concern would be that you limited it to only 3 charges.  Seems very low considering that a flight can make 3 attacks per run and if the CV chooses they could make 10-15 runs on a ship in a game.  So out of 30+ attack runs you would only give me 3 chances to use my fighter?  MOAR PLEASE!

You still have the fighter consumable, it's limited to 3 but can be increased to 4 and USN have a maximum of 5.

Those fighters aren't like the consumable, if you use it with 12 attackers, they'll eat 12 planes, that's over 10 minutes of resupply to recover those planes.

It's there because pre-rework also had the same deal with strafe, do it right and you punish the enemy, do it wrongly and the enemy can either strafe your back or lock you in place for their allies to shoot you down.

You're basically using 12 attackers without spending them (since most of the time the enemy plane isn't at their allies) to ruin the enemy CV day...and totally ruining the enemy CV day is the thing that motivated the CV rework.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,234 posts
19,617 battles

Remember when WG implemented Strafing air-to-air mechanics that it introduced a massive skill gap between the good and bad CVs, and that is counter to what the Rework wanted.

I have no problem with the increased function of fighters directly going air-to-air with other aircraft.

*IF* the player selects regular, non-rocket laden fighters while still in port instead of the rocket loaded default ones.

Are there mechanics for the bombers to somewhat defend themselves with tail gunners, etc.?  There was in the old system, and it was kind of funny at times.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
20 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:

You still have the fighter consumable, it's limited to 3 but can be increased to 4 and USN have a maximum of 5.

Those fighters aren't like the consumable, if you use it with 12 attackers, they'll eat 12 planes, that's over 10 minutes of resupply to recover those planes.

It's there because pre-rework also had the same deal with strafe, do it right and you punish the enemy, do it wrongly and the enemy can either strafe your back or lock you in place for their allies to shoot you down.

You're basically using 12 attackers without spending them (since most of the time the enemy plane isn't at their allies) to ruin the enemy CV day...and totally ruining the enemy CV day is the thing that motivated the CV rework.

I gotcha..so it wouldn't just go at the planes that separated off for the attack run.  It would chew up the whole squadron. I APPROVE!

Edited by T_O_dubl_D
Edit: to clarify, is this for CVs only or all planes with a fighter consumable?

Beta Testers
667 posts
2,455 battles
Just now, T_O_dubl_D said:

I gotcha..so it wouldn't just go at the planes that separated off for the attack run.  It would chew up the whole squadron. I APPROVE!

Yeah, it's basically a 1 for 1 trade....but you only lose your planes if the enemy pull theirs to their friendlies.

Since he would only know that he's being chased either via friendly radar or at 3km range, it's most likely that he'll lose all of his while you lose none of yours, thus the need to limit the consumables so that the players doesn't go to battles just to "Kill enemy planes".

[KAPPA]
Members
1,370 posts
6,350 battles

Your idea gives me an idea. Why not have it so that holding F commits your squadron to acting as a free fighter consumable of varying effectiveness? The tradeoff is losing the squad till it's done and having to use something else. I can't tell you how often I've wanted to protect an ally late game only to realize I'm out of charges... It's a horrible feeling, as I try really hard to protect my team when I have the chance.

Or, heck, how about unifying fighter charges? It's annoying to run out on your preferred plane yet still have all 3 on your least favorite.

Or, heck, how about having superintendent affect it? I'd love more charges of fighters! I often am using them on cooldown, assuming I see a good chance.

Sign in to follow this