Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Time for a new acronym

21 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,894 posts
15,569 battles

CVDS:  CV Derangement Syndrome

The mental state of hating CVs to the degree that is all one can talk about or discuss, and only in disparaging terms.  Severe CVDS occurs when this syndrome extends beyond disparaging CVs, but extends to disparaging players who play CVs.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 14
  • Boring 1

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,904 battles
3 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

The mental state of hating CVs to the degree that is all one can talk about or discuss, and only in disparaging terms.  Severe CVDS occurs when this syndrome extends beyond disparaging CVs, but extends to disparaging players who play CVs.

No! not another one!!! I need an acronym dictionary!!

[H_]
Members
2,419 posts
23 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Boy, CVDS was alive and active yesterday when our inexperienced CV driver went off the deep end and decided that since he was in a premium carrier it was his destiny to suicide half way through the game; and, our own team, less a few whom were either dead or refusing to comply, destroyed him before he could............  All were reported.  But, this isn't the first time I've seen this type of negative activity in the past week or so....  Blue on Blue is always wrong !  But, geeze, when carrier drivers literally "give up" because they don't like the damages they are accumulating and try and throw the game..............ouch.  Maybe, it's inexperience where new players are buying the premium meta carriers and have un realistic expectations on damage......I don't know.   But, one thing is for sure, it caused a huge loss and a lot of reports to the moderators to sift through......  Balance is a-muck me thinks.......?!

image.png.ed1611c3f2fc4dbb0783b6f0f09772f1.png

Edited by Asym_KS
added screenshot

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles
9 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Agree.

Bonus diagnostic points if they raise their status as a paying customer as a justification for their rage.

Terminal CVDS applies when the sufferer has expressed the WOWS equivalent of suicidal ideation, i.e. the I-am-uninstalling flounce post, or has actually uninstalled and is posting to make a grand fuss about it.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,843 posts
4,057 battles

cagerage.gif

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
6 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Boy, CVDS was alive and active yesterday when our inexperienced CV driver went off the deep end and decided that since he was in a premium IJN carrier it was his destiny to suicide half way through the game; and, our own team, less a few whom were either dead or refusing to comply, destroyed him before he could............  All were reported.  But, this isn't the first time I've seen this type of negative activity in the past week or so....  Blue on Blue is always wrong !  But, geeze, when carrier drivers literally "give up" because they don't like the damages they are accumulating and try and throw the game..............ouch.  Maybe, it's inexperience where new players are buying the premium meta carriers and have un realistic expectations on damage......I don't know.   But, one thing is for sure, it caused a huge loss and a lot of reports to the moderators to sift through......  Balance is a-muck me thinks.......?!

That's hilarious!

CV: Goodbye cruel world, going to kill muh self!

"Friendly" teammates: If anybody is going to kill yourself it's going to be us.  OPEN FIRE!

• Funny 2

[H_]
Members
2,419 posts
Just now, T_O_dubl_D said:

That's hilarious!

CV: Goodbye cruel world, going to kill muh self!

"Friendly" teammates: If anybody is going to kill yourself it's going to be us.  OPEN FIRE!

I added the screen shot........  Right after this snapshot, from the left came a volley of three ships fire that obliterated him....  This isn't the first time this has happened.  The other night in a 2x2 CV random, people just started shooting at the CV's because they didn't want to play with "those CV drivers...."   Again, screen shot and a lot of reporting.....  A cv driver got mad he "wasn't being support" and took a shot at one of the BB complainers (was reported) and the entire team sailed away from him to support himself..........  He reported the entire team it seems....  What a mess.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

But, geeze, when carrier drivers literally "give up" because they don't like the damages they are accumulating and try and throw the game..............ouch.  Maybe, it's inexperience where new players are buying the premium meta carriers and have un realistic expectations on damage......I don't know. 

They see carrier unicums go out and wreck stuff like a boss, or they read whines about how impossible it is to play against them, and figure wow, here is the new unstoppable death machine, my key to success!

Then they play a few games and realise what a :etc_swear: difficult thing it is actually learning to attack with the rework planes.

I was JUST up to the Independence before the rework hit, and making small (~50K) but consistent profits in co-op with every battle. I got my shiny new Ranger in exchange, all well and good, and set out to try and do some damage in it. I sucked. I have a whole bunch of co-op games where I barely did any work and lost money on the damn thing WITH PREMIUM TIME. I hated that thing. At the same time, I realised that simultaneous major game events had made it difficult for me to get any serious practice done in PTS, and knowing how it was done was a whole different thing from actually having the manual skills and timing to do it right.

For some reason I seemed to do a lot better with the Furious, and now I seem to have clicked and am getting the hang of it. The Furious's bombers taught me bad habits when it comes to timing one's bomb drops (they are very forgiving compared to Hosho and Ranger), and I need to work on that, but the earnings have started going back in the black. I think I get CV now, even though I know I need to get MUCH better.

Okay, now take a Tier 8 premium carrier and put it in the hands of someone who's never played CV before and doesn't have that insight, and what did you think was going to happen? :Smile_teethhappy:

WG needs to breed up a subgroup of CCs who suck at everything, just so inexperienced players have someone to identify with and realise it's not all beer and skittles. 

• Cool 1

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
2 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I added the screen shot........  Right after this snapshot, from the left came a volley of three ships fire that obliterated him....  This isn't the first time this has happened.  The other night in a 2x2 CV random, people just started shooting at the CV's because they didn't want to play with "those CV drivers...."   Again, screen shot and a lot of reporting.....  A cv driver got mad he "wasn't being support" and took a shot at one of the BB complainers (was reported) and the entire team sailed away from him to support himself..........  He reported the entire team it seems....  What a mess.

It's crazy.  I guess they think that if they mistreat their own CV they might stop playing them or that some how will make the red CV disappear as well.  I have no idea.  I'm no fan of the rework at all but once its game time we've got a game to win.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,894 posts
15,569 battles

Shokaku isn't premium.  But it is perhaps the hardest T8 CV to do well in.  The SBDs drop AP.  It's nice when they connect on a BB or CA...but not very useful on DDs.  Really need to learn good target selection with Shokaku to make it deliver.

As for connecting on BBs....those times do make for great videos....even if it doesn't happen often...

[H_]
Members
2,419 posts
23 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

It's crazy.  I guess they think that if they mistreat their own CV they might stop playing them or that some how will make the red CV disappear as well.  I have no idea.  I'm no fan of the rework at all but once its game time we've got a game to win.

From your lips to the Scwartz's ears......@!  It was bad enough to play with new players in high tier ships !  Let alone carriers....  The skill disparity between carrier drivers has a much greater influence on the outcomes of those games....  And, some are just "worn out" in Random play since 8.0.....   I think, that is what I was seeing.  Heck, we even had the same issues in COOP !  An entire team gone pink (except i wasn't even going to be involved in that conflagration....!!!)

28 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They see carrier unicums go out and wreck stuff like a boss, or they read whines about how impossible it is to play against them, and figure wow, here is the new unstoppable death machine, my key to success!

Then they play a few games and realise what a :etc_swear: difficult thing it is actually learning to attack with the rework planes.

WG needs to breed up a subgroup of CCs who suck at everything, just so inexperienced players have someone to identify with and realise it's not all beer and skittles. 

You are spot on correct Ensign....  Your last sentence is what we've been asking Wg to do since I've been in-game....  A "measure twice and cut once" set of CC's that represent: everyone else.....  Actually, players like moi represent the 'average player" and what we see and what the elite players see is the depth of the culture itself.......  It's how real businesses avoid culturally incompetent  decisions !  And, if used, generally, increases sales and quality !  So, I am confused as to why our host takes such a radical approach to change???  Good response !  I'll add it to you efficiency report this quarter.....

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,603 posts
6,236 battles
2 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Shokaku isn't premium.  But it is perhaps the hardest T8 CV to do well in.  The SBDs drop AP.  It's nice when they connect on a BB or CA...but not very useful on DDs.  Really need to learn good target selection with Shokaku to make it deliver.

As for connecting on BBs....those times do make for great videos....even if it doesn't happen often...

SBDs are American planes.  

[WOLF2]
Members
3,693 posts
15,405 battles
3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

CVafu … 

CVubar?

[P2W]
Members
349 posts
9,885 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Okay, now take a Tier 8 premium carrier and put it in the hands of someone who's never played CV before and doesn't have that insight, and what did you think was going to happen? :Smile_teethhappy:

Ohhhh!!! Pick me! I in fact suck at everything!!!!!

I agree that there is a problem when all you see is videos featuring the top 10 CV players on the server and conclude that this is how CVs will play for everybody. I used to be a professional photographer, and I got tired of people saying "Wow, you take nice pictures; you must have an expensive camera." I was sorely tempted to hand them the camera and discover for themselves that while good tools help, they don't really make up for crappy skills. However, if you have a business model that lets people buy in near the top of an otherwise skill-based progression you have to figure that there are going to be bad players at all levels. I'm a fairly mediocre player, but I've never skipped levels in a tree (except for a few cases where I got extra ships in a branch split or a loot box), so I at least know how good or bad I'm going to be when I move from a T7 to a T8 ship in the same line.

[_-_]
Members
2,228 posts
5 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

News Bulletin! People hate things that suck!

Film at 11.

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Furious's bombers taught me bad habits when it comes to timing one's bomb drops (they are very forgiving compared to Hosho and Ranger)

Wait....what?

I found Hosho and Ranger easier, you just wait until the last second to drop, and you can hardly miss lol.

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
9 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

News Bulletin! People hate things that suck!

Film at 11.

Depends on your outlook. Many of us see people hating something that doesn't suck.

It's all subjective.

[DRACS]
Members
4,734 posts
5 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Sigh, agreed.

Honestly, and I know I'm going to get hate for this, but it's largely a cultural problem these days. It's cooler to be a victim than it is to be a problem solver, and hence you'll always find more threads, on all forums covering all subjects, of people crying that they're being victimized and trying to foment group outrage than it is to stay rational and discuss solutions.

Worst yet, anyone who does wish to discuss solutions is instantly shouted down as being a shill or part of the problem.

I don't expect this to change anytime soon. Sadly.

[G-REB]
[G-REB]
Beta Testers
62 posts
4,079 battles

I would like to extend the definition of CVDS as well to include the action of throwing the match by doing nothing but hunting the CV all match in any ship type.  Had a Groz do that yesterday in two back to back matchs ignore two caps he was within 1km of starting to cap both times with no enemies around.  Take the occasional pot shot as he headed for the last known position of the enemy CV the whole match.

Sign in to follow this